PDA

View Full Version : The Beauty Of Assassin's Creed Unity

king-hailz
04-10-2015, 09:15 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FLc8rDyszr8

Description:

I notice that this game gets a lot of hate for the amount of bugs and other problems it has, however I feel people don't truly understand how beautiful this game is! This video goes out to the art team over at ubisoft for creating the most beautiful game city in history!

waynedavies89
04-10-2015, 11:09 AM
Agreed! Regardless of what issues people may have with the game, its very pretty!

Shahkulu101
04-10-2015, 11:36 AM
It's gorgeous yes, but we expect nothing less from Ubisoft - an AAA studio on a very large budget. Still, they deserve a pat on the back - plenty of times where I just stopped in my tracks to take it all in. The Bastille, Notre Dame, Saint Chappele - they all look like paintings. I've got far too much screenshots on my PS4!

IMO the visuals aren't the only silver lining - I think it's a pretty good game with a lot going for it. Best assassinations in the series, best core mechanics, a great co-op mode and a fantastic customization system. The flaws unfortunately overshadow these things - such as poor story, repetitive and boring side missions like the Paris stories, transmedia elements etc. - but none the less I still enjoyed it. It would be up there with my favourites if not for those problems.

king-hailz
04-10-2015, 01:26 PM
It does look really good! You have to give it that if anything!

Shahkulu101
04-10-2015, 01:35 PM
It does look really good! You have to give it that if anything!

I did? :p

SixKeys
04-10-2015, 02:33 PM
Even the most ardent critics of Unity generally agree that visually it's gorgeous. This video doesn't even show the best sides of it IMO. The interiors of churches and palaces, for example, are absolutely amazing. Not to mention the hundreds, maybe thousands of different NPC animations and the way objects aren't glued to them anymore. Like a guy holding a piece of paper or an apple won't just hold on to it forever or drop it and walk away, they can set it on a table and then pick it up again. The lighting, fabric physics and facial expressions are also fantastic.

Matknapers18
04-10-2015, 03:05 PM
This video does a pretty damn good job of showing the beauty of Unity.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yTTvkDR6euk

Ubisoft may have messed up a lot with unity, But they nailed Paris and the visuals.

I mean, look at that door at 1:45. Insane.

VestigialLlama4
04-10-2015, 03:11 PM
Even the most ardent critics of Unity generally agree that visually it's gorgeous. This video doesn't even show the best sides of it IMO. The interiors of churches and palaces, for example, are absolutely amazing. Not to mention the hundreds, maybe thousands of different NPC animations and the way objects aren't glued to them anymore. Like a guy holding a piece of paper or an apple won't just hold on to it forever or drop it and walk away, they can set it on a table and then pick it up again. The lighting, fabric physics and facial expressions are also fantastic.

Well even the most ardent critics agreed that AC3 was a beautiful game but that didn't cut any dice for its critics, so why should we cut UNITY any slack?

Personally I find the art design of UNITY very prettified like a Disneyland version of Paris. It's pretty but soulless. Also the fact that they didn't go for weather means that the distinct weather pattern of the city (they made an entire calendar around Paris weather during the Revolution) is missing, and without that, you have a very static space with no variety. The Paris that you see in French films about the Revolution - Jean Renoir's La Marseillaise or Eric Rohmer's The Lady and the Duke (which had amazing special effects) - is more interesting, not to mention the one that we can read in books by Hugo and others who wrote from that time.

But then an anti-revolutionary game set in French Revolutionary Paris is not going to work.

Defalt221
04-10-2015, 06:19 PM
Guys "ALL THAT GLITTERS IN NOT GOLD". While Unity has exceptional graphics (it rivals even RYSE where the game is heavily linear) the rest of the elements are just same as every open world AC games.
--Buildings look good but that's it. You can't break windows, can't set them on fire or improve their condition (except for a handful for unlocking club missions),neither can you open windows (they're randomly open or closed depending on how many times you re-load that sequence).
--The NPCs look good but that's all-you can't manipulate tem to attacks guards or scare them away to cause a massive chaos (a smoke bomb in a crowd of 200 and they disperse like a herd of spooked deer but that doesn't influence guards and Templar soldiers to any extent at all) and they erve nothing more than just moving blending spots and serves more as a blockage to your running in the streets. They don't even alert guards when they see corpses.
--The weather just alters the view of the game world, they don't make civilians and guards take shelter or the heavy rain at night (Nights don't look like real nights or at least those in AC BF and Rogue or even ac3 where it's really dark) and enemies see you more clearly than you see them at night which defeats the purpose of the cover of darkness. In AC2 guards used to shift patrol routes which is why the time of day made sense. But here it doesn absolutely nothing. I thought open world was an interactive playground where you can mess up things. Look at GTA V or at least Watch Dogs where your actions affect crowds and guards as well as the news media.

But yeah. The graphics make a sight to behold.

Hans684
04-10-2015, 07:15 PM
It's a book with beautiful cover and pages with a useless story that goes nowhere and a few pages and sentences torn out/taken away that you have to pay extra for blocked by a site, plus some small tie ins that's just as repetitive and pointless story's . The book works better than the others(gameplay) and looks good, that's it. It's eye candy that works but everything else is filler at best.

SixKeys
04-10-2015, 07:31 PM
Well even the most ardent critics agreed that AC3 was a beautiful game but that didn't cut any dice for its critics, so why should we cut UNITY any slack?

Nobody's forcing you to cut the rest of the game any slack. I'm among those who will happily admit AC3's graphics were fantastic, easily the best part of the whole game for me. Doesn't mean I have to like the rest of the game, but I can at least acknowledge that one positive aspect.

VestigialLlama4
04-10-2015, 10:25 PM
Nobody's forcing you to cut the rest of the game any slack. I'm among those who will happily admit AC3's graphics were fantastic, easily the best part of the whole game for me. Doesn't mean I have to like the rest of the game, but I can at least acknowledge that one positive aspect.

Just to be clear that good graphics doesn't mean a game's any good.

m4r-k7
04-10-2015, 10:55 PM
The graphics are absolutely insane, but there is one problem I find. The draw distance is below average I think. When your standing next to a building, its one of the best looking buildings in a video game, but as you go further away or your on a viewpoint, the surrounding area is below average in terms of visual fidelity. I find Black Flag has better graphics in this department along with water, nature and weather physics. Absolutely breathtaking graphics nonetheless and I can't wait to see whether there will be any advancement in Victory.

SixKeys
04-10-2015, 11:24 PM
Just to be clear that good graphics doesn't mean a game's any good.

Thank you, Captain Obvious.

Landruner
04-11-2015, 07:12 AM
Guys "ALL THAT GLITTERS IN NOT GOLD". While Unity has exceptional graphics (it rivals even RYSE where the game is heavily linear) the rest of the elements are just same as every open world AC games.
--Buildings look good but that's it. You can't break windows, can't set them on fire or improve their condition (except for a handful for unlocking club missions),neither can you open windows (they're randomly open or closed depending on how many times you re-load that sequence).
--The NPCs look good but that's all-you can't manipulate tem to attacks guards or scare them away to cause a massive chaos (a smoke bomb in a crowd of 200 and they disperse like a herd of spooked deer but that doesn't influence guards and Templar soldiers to any extent at all) and they erve nothing more than just moving blending spots and serves more as a blockage to your running in the streets. They don't even alert guards when they see corpses.
--The weather just alters the view of the game world, they don't make civilians and guards take shelter or the heavy rain at night (Nights don't look like real nights or at least those in AC BF and Rogue or even ac3 where it's really dark) and enemies see you more clearly than you see them at night which defeats the purpose of the cover of darkness. In AC2 guards used to shift patrol routes which is why the time of day made sense. But here it doesn absolutely nothing. I thought open world was an interactive playground where you can mess up things. Look at GTA V or at least Watch Dogs where your actions affect crowds and guards as well as the news media.

But yeah. The graphics make a sight to behold.

I really like your idea above about breaking the windows, or setting them in fire for diversion or strategic use during a mission - nice idea of concept anyhow!

I also agree with you about the NPC reactions since the over charged ground of NPCs are more a handicap to the game that they benefit it.

I really thought that the NPCs were going to play a must more important role in ACU and that they could be used wisely from the guards and else.I just saw some timid attempts to use that ground but in the all it was not efficient enough for justifying so many NPCs in the streets. It would have made more sense to have such grounded streets at time during the main story or some side missions but not all the time that the game runs.

Yep, the graphics are gorgeous, but that it to me the only good point of the game.

Defalt221
04-11-2015, 07:21 AM
I really like your idea above about breaking the windows, or setting them in fire for diversion or strategic use during a mission - nice idea of concept anyhow!

I also agree with you about the NPC reactions since the over charged ground of NPCs are more a handicap to the game that they benefit it.

I really thought that the NPCs were going to play a must more important role in ACU and that they could be used wisely from the guards and else.I just saw some timid attempts to use that ground but in the all it was not efficient enough for justifying so many NPCs in the streets. It would have made more sense to have such grounded streets at time during the main story or some side missions but not all the time that the game runs.

Yep, the graphics are gorgeous, but that it to me the only good point of the game.

Yes. When I first watched E3 demo interviews and other interviews Alex was saying how advanced the crowd was and how they reacts to everything and the game dynamically changes things. I decided to take advantage of that considering E3 demo showed crowd manipulation. But no, none of that was present. Instead the corwd AI was like previous games, just WAYYY bigger, more annoying and noisy. The only fun I had with the crowd was: Near the palace de justice I get on top of Saint Chappelle and throw a smoke bmb into the crowd of 1000 and watch them disperse. You can do that in Danton's sacrifice too. But this gets old really quick as there's nothing useful that happens like distracting guards with the angry/scared raging stampede of crowds running over them killing or injuring them.

m4r-k7
04-11-2015, 12:25 PM
I really like your idea above about breaking the windows, or setting them in fire for diversion or strategic use during a mission - nice idea of concept anyhow!.

I always thought whilst playing Unity how could would it be to literally smash through any accessible interiors window. Imagine being chased up the stairs of a building and smashing through a closed window onto the next building, it would be epic!