PDA

View Full Version : PLEASE Ubisoft

LieutenantRex
04-09-2015, 06:21 PM
A few months back, before the lackluster release of ACU and its past-gen counterpart, I made a thread with the rather modest proposal for Ubisoft to increase the height of its future main characters. Even as I typed up the short essay explaining the historical inaccuracies in the heights of the series's protagonists (the average height for men throughout history, in general, was six feet, or 1.83 m), I could portend that my pleas would be ignored. Still, a man must try.

Arno joins the ranks of his predecessors as a short assassin. He barely passes Napoleon, who was five-foot-six, which implies, and forgive my eyesight if I'm wrong, that Arno is five-foot-seven. I couldn't continue to play the game, knowing that I could never truly connect with Arno, never empathize with his plights, him being a gross misinterpretation of the common eighteenth century man. It was akin to the disconnect that I experienced two years earlier with Connor, whose charismatic character was belied painfully by his short stature, made worsened by his chronic scoliosis. Furthermore, Connor might actually be shorter than Arno, as he only stands an inch or so over a hunchbacked Achilles, who, as shown in Rogue, was far shorter than his counterparts. The only tall being I have witnessed in the series who shares allegiance with the Assassins is the French man in Rogue, who appears to be five-eleven, still an inch shorter than the average, and quite a few inches below my height.

Ubisoft, please represent the historical man/woman better than you have in the past. I for one can sustain only a few more drastic abortions of height in video games. Thank you.

Defalt221
04-09-2015, 06:34 PM
I thought Connor was 6'2 or 6'3.

Markaccus
04-09-2015, 06:42 PM
Face Claim: Luke Pasqualino
Full name: Arno Victor Dorian
Birth Year: 1768
Height: 6’2”
Nationality: French-Austrian

These are the only stats i can find on Arno.

Matknapers18
04-09-2015, 06:59 PM
I couldn't continue to play the game, knowing that I could never truly connect with Arno, never empathize with his plights, him being a gross misinterpretation of the common eighteenth century man.

Is this a joke haha? You must be trolling. You refused to play the game because Arno was too short?

You are literally saying that you could never connect with Arno because he was short. I respect that you are entitled to an opinion and all, but its really not a big deal dude. Short or tall, the game is going to be EXACTLY the same. Short or tall, Arno's personality, traits, characteristics, character arc and relationship with the cast is always going to be exactly the same.

Are you saying that you would have felt a stronger connection to Arno if he was a couple inches higher off the ground? Your point just boggles my mind, I would love for you to elaborate.

Markaccus
04-09-2015, 07:01 PM
And Luke Pasqualino is the bloke who plays D'artagnian in BBCs 3 Musketeers. Not sure if they are saying thats who arno looks like.

Pandassin
04-09-2015, 07:02 PM
You need to remember that people were shorter back then, so technically it's historically accurate for the characters to be short.

LieutenantRex
04-09-2015, 07:04 PM
Is this a joke haha? You must be trolling. You refused to play the game because Arno was too short?

You are literally saying that you could never connect with Arno because he was short. I respect that you are entitled to an opinion and all, but its really not a big deal dude. Short or tall, the game is going to be EXACTLY the same. Short or tall, Arno's personality, traits, characteristics, character arc and relationship with the cast is always going to be exactly the same.

Are you saying that you would have felt a stronger connection to Arno if he was a couple inches higher off the ground? Your point just boggles my mind, I would love for you to elaborate.

I am a major history enthusiast, and when I witness the inaccuracies that plague the Assassin's Creed games, specifically in terms of height, my level of immersion decreases significantly, hence my inability to proceed in finishing the game knowing that there was a glaring historical flaw made by the developers.

Markaccus
04-09-2015, 07:04 PM

I would just like to know where he got the figures from. It took me a while just to find Arno's.

D.I.D.
04-09-2015, 07:06 PM
Ha!

Taking this seriously, although I know that's not what you really want... don't care what height they are, but I would like a more wiry assassin. Someone more spider-like and strange, less leading man/woman.

Markaccus
04-09-2015, 07:06 PM
And you need to add a plain "yes" to the voting. The only "yes" has a condition.

LieutenantRex
04-09-2015, 07:08 PM
I would just like to know where he got the figures from. It took me a while just to find Arno's.

I arrived at my conclusion of Arno's height through common sense, my good sir. Napoleon Bonaparte was five-foot-six, according to historical records, and when Arno meets the future emperor, he is on eye level with the man, or at the very least a centimeter above him.

straty88
This puts my issues with the series into perspective.

Markaccus
Ha!

Taking this seriously, although I know that's not what you really want... don't care what height they are, but I would like a more wiry assassin. Someone more spider-like and strange, less leading man/woman.

some kind of answer to Daniel Craigs James Bond. More gritty and realistic, less playboy flouncing.

Markaccus
04-09-2015, 07:10 PM
I arrived at my conclusion of Arno's height through common sense, my good sir. Napoleon Bonaparte was five-foot-six, according to historical records, and when Arno meets the future emperor, he is on eye level with the man, or at the very least a centimeter above him.

Well, i dug out some stats which put him at 6'2". Maybe the perspective in the game made it look that way.

Megas_Doux
04-09-2015, 07:12 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQHm7oItkdA
lol

Being serious, the heights of NPC´s and characters have always been kinda odd.....

LieutenantRex
04-09-2015, 07:13 PM
Well, i dug out some stats which put him at 6'2". Maybe the perspective in the game made it look that way.

My good sir, in the first cutscene in which they meet, one of the shots is a wide far off one where both Arno and Nappy can be seen from head to toe. Both appear to be around the same height, with Arno perhaps being a tad taller.

Markaccus
04-09-2015, 07:18 PM
My good sir, in the first cutscene in which they meet, one of the shots is a wide far off one where both Arno and Nappy can be seen from head to toe. Both appear to be around the same height, with Arno perhaps being a tad taller.

Well, i prefer going from what i read than relying on potentially glitchy graphics. Also, Napoleon was so short that maybe they HIEGHTENED him to meet arno rather than have some kind of little and large sketch.

Other stats i have found put Ezio at 5'9" (that should be quite tall for his time) and connor is supposedly between 5'10" and 6'00". Bearing in mind Connor is only half european and half native american, this could easily be accurate.

Matknapers18
04-09-2015, 07:22 PM
I am a major history enthusiast, and when I witness the inaccuracies that plague the Assassin's Creed games, specifically in terms of height, my level of immersion decreases significantly, hence my inability to proceed in finishing the game knowing that there was a glaring historical flaw made by the developers.

I am not historian enthusiast I'll admit. So forgive my ignorance if Im wrong here. But was it impossible for any man to be 5 foot 7 in the 18th century? Because ( if you are correct) the average height at the time was 6 feet, that doesn't mean every man on the planet was 6 foot tall? What if Arno just happened to be short? Thats not a historical inaccuracy, it just means he was short, similar to Napoleon? So, why is that big deal? Can we not have short assassin's?

Also, can we have an option in the poll for 'Don't Care'? None of the current options really fit my point of view.

LieutenantRex
04-09-2015, 07:23 PM
Well, i prefer going from what i read than relying on potentially glitchy graphics. Also, Napoleon was so short that maybe they HIEGHTENED him to meet arno rather than have some kind of little and large sketch.

Other stats i have found put Ezio at 5'9" (that should be quite tall for his time) and connor is supposedly between 5'10" and 6'00". Bearing in mind Connor is only half european and half native american, this could easily be accurate.

My good sir, you expect me to believe that Connor, who barely stands more than two inches above Achilles is possibly five-foot-ten? I demand to know your source material. Furthermore, Ezio is shorter than every militia guardsman in his games. You gainsay your own claim, good sir, as the average height would have to be six feet if Ezio was five-foot-nine.

D.I.D.
04-09-2015, 07:27 PM
some kind of answer to Daniel Craigs James Bond. More gritty and realistic, less playboy flouncing.

Eh, maybe. Daniel Craig is still rather definitively a leading man though. Sean Harris's Micheletto in Showtime's "The Borgias" would be more like it, or Yolandi Visser from Die Antwoord, or Yayan Ruhian's Prakoso in "The Raid 2". Someone who looks like they've been shaped by a different life, doesn't get much sleep, a little bit feral.

Markaccus
04-09-2015, 07:36 PM
My good sir, you expect me to believe that Connor, who barely stands more than two inches above Achilles is possibly five-foot-ten? I demand to know your source material. Furthermore, Ezio is shorter than every militia guardsman in his games. You gainsay your own claim, good sir, as the average height would have to be six feet if Ezio was five-foot-nine.

I personally expect people to believe what they wish. However, the characters appearances in-game will be HEAVILY tweaked just to fit people in. An actual WRITTEN stat os more reliable (especially for a fictional character) than how the game devs crow-bar people in to certain events through history.

Namikaze_17
04-09-2015, 07:37 PM
I cannot respond to this...

Markaccus
04-09-2015, 07:40 PM
Eh, maybe. Daniel Craig is still rather definitively a leading man though. Sean Harris's Micheletto in Showtime's "The Borgias" would be more like it, or Yolandi Visser from Die Antwoord, or Yayan Ruhian's Prakoso in "The Raid 2". Someone who looks like they've been shaped by a different life, doesn't get much sleep, a little bit feral.

If you read the original books, D.C. plays Bond closer than any othwr actor to date. You wouldnt get a complete nobody playing such a famously huge role, so you will always get some element of 'leading man', but D.C has a bigger dark-side to the character than i have seen before. He can be a total bstard when he wants to be.... as he is in the books.

LieutenantRex
04-09-2015, 07:40 PM
I personally expect people to believe what they wish. However, the characters appearances in-game will be HEAVILY tweaked just to fit people in. An actual WRITTEN stat os more reliable (especially for a fictional character) than how the game devs crow-bar people in to certain events through history.

Any out-game source that refers to in-game characteristics that cannot be confirmed in-game is suspect and should thus have all credibility attached abrogated, good sir.

D.I.D.
04-09-2015, 07:47 PM
If you read the original books, D.C. plays Bond closer than any othwr actor to date. You wouldnt get a complete nobody playing such a famously huge role, so you will always get some element of 'leading man', but D.C has a bigger dark-side to the character than i have seen before. He can be a total bstard when he wants to be.... as he is in the books.

Yeah, he's absolutely right for that role, don't get me wrong. It's just not the kind of person I had in mind for a more interesting assassin, that's all. Daniel Craig would not look out of place advertising Tag Heuer or Armani because he's That Guy at a genetic level, and that's the kind of thinking Ubi puts into its character design for assassins. I'd like an assassin who looks like he/she smells of dead mice, or has something else peculiar about them.

Kaschra
04-09-2015, 07:56 PM
This is just some piss poor attempt at trolling, right?

Markaccus
04-09-2015, 07:56 PM
http://www.kgbanswers.co.uk/what-was-the-average-height-of-people-in-the-16th-century-in-england/17156929

Found this. Now this is England, but still europe. Ezio lived circa the beginning of the 16th century, so that makes him over 2 inches taller than the average, if this is correct.

Markaccus
04-09-2015, 07:58 PM
Yeah, he's absolutely right for that role, don't get me wrong. It's just not the kind of person I had in mind for a more interesting assassin, that's all. Daniel Craig would not look out of place advertising Tag Heuer or Armani because he's That Guy at a genetic level, and that's the kind of thinking Ubi puts into its character design for assassins. I'd like an assassin who looks like he/she smells of dead mice, or has something else peculiar about them.

Oh yeah, i realise he isnt right for an assassin, what i meant was we need someone who would play an assassin in a comparable way to the way he did Bond. Sorry i think i might have worded my response badly :D

Edit.... to clarify... using the background of the assassin to paint the picture, even if they do "smell of dead mice" :D

Markaccus
04-09-2015, 08:02 PM
Any out-game source that refers to in-game characteristics that cannot be confirmed in-game is suspect and should thus have all credibility attached abrogated, good sir.

See, you are trolling. Making demands of gamers for fictional stats is arrogant, and dictating that we are only allowed to use the visual source that you used, just because that means you can always appear right. Stop blithering on about imersion when you are CHOSING to let this silly little crusade ruin your experience.

LieutenantRex
04-09-2015, 08:06 PM
http://www.kgbanswers.co.uk/what-was-the-average-height-of-people-in-the-16th-century-in-england/17156929

Found this. Now this is England, but still europe. Ezio lived circa the beginning of the 16th century, so that makes him over 2 inches taller than the average, if this is correct.

My dear friend, this does not contradict my assertion, in fact it merely weakens the structure of your argument. I do not know how you have conjured this belief that Ezio is five-foot-nine. He is obviously not when made to stand next to militia guardsmen, men who are enlisted directly from the civilian population, good sir. By your theory, if Ezio is indeed taller than the average man, then surely he should tower above militia guards, but he doesn't. To be fair, he isn't dwarfed by them, but he is about a quarter of a head shorter.

GunnerGalactico
04-09-2015, 08:07 PM
This is just some piss poor attempt at trolling, right?

Was thinking the same thing. :nonchalance:

Seriously, what is up with this guy? He shows up once in a blue moon, and on the times he does make an appearance... he creates troll threads.

LieutenantRex
04-09-2015, 08:11 PM
Was thinking the same thing. :nonchalance:

Seriously, what is up with this guy? He shows up once in a blue moon, and on the times he does make an appearance... he creates troll threads.

Please do not derail my thread. I am disheartened by the rather acrimonious accusations flung at my person when I have done naught but debate on the topic in which I have started. I have not insulted anyone, nor have I discredited the experiences of any other player. Gods forbid I engage in a passionate discussion over an issue you may consider superfluous.

Furthermore, I have only supported my claims with game evidence. One can easily prove me wrong by playing, but so far no one has, so my argument remains authentic.

Markaccus
04-09-2015, 08:15 PM
My dear friend, this does not contradict my assertion, in fact it merely weakens the structure of your argunent. I do not know how you have conjured this belief that Ezio is five-foot-nine. He is obviously not when made to stand next to a militia guardsmen, men who are enlisted directly from the civilian population, good sir. By your theory, if Ezio is indeed taller than the average man, then surely he should tower above militia guards, but he doesn't. To be fair, he isn't dwarfed by them, but he is about a quarter of a head shorter.

Oh ffs. Tell you what,if it bothers you that much, and you insist on believing computer graphic representation, then don't play the fkn games! Or maybe, since Ezio is Italian, he could eat a moving mushroom and DOUBLE IN HEIGHT. Why not,it happens in super mario bros!?!?. You, my good sir, are a bell-end

GunnerGalactico
04-09-2015, 08:15 PM
Please do not derail my thread. I am disheartened by the rather acrimonious accusations flung at my person when I have done naught but debate on the topic in which I have started. I have not insulted anyone, nor have I discredited the experiences of any other player. Gods forbid I engage in a passionate discussion over an issue you may consider superfluous.

Furthermore, I have only supported my claims with game evidence. One can easily prove me wrong by playing, but so far no one has, so my argument remains authentic.

Sure. Whatever you say, mate

Shahkulu101
04-09-2015, 08:17 PM
Oh ffs. Tell you what,if it bothers you that much, and you insist on believing computer graphic representation, then don't play the fkn games! Or maybe, since Ezio is Italian, he could eat a moving mushroom and DOUBLE IN HEIGHT. Why not,it happens in super mario bros!?!?. You, my good sir, are a bell-end

You just gratified his trolling attempt. :rolleyes:

Markaccus
04-09-2015, 08:21 PM
You just gratified his trolling attempt. :rolleyes:

I don't care. He is a bell-end, and he needed to be told. He is neither funny, nor clever. Getting people like me to rise to it is not even a victory. He hasn't won. And if he feels victorious over this, then he is very sad.

Markaccus
04-09-2015, 08:23 PM
Anyway, this is a pointless thread so all you sensible people might want to jum ship and find a discussion worthy one :D

Democrito_71
04-09-2015, 08:26 PM
Well guys, best way to stop trolls is to ignore them completely. Posting on threads that are made up only to irritate, annoy or to make people fight each other, only encourages the trolls to keep continue making threads like these. So let's ignore this thread and discuss in more serious threads further on, right?

LieutenantRex
04-09-2015, 08:29 PM

My good sir, have I ever insulted you in our debate? Did I not trade information supporting my claim? You did as well, do not believe that I am lambasting you, but the insult was completely uncalled for. Even with Ezio's small stature, I do consider ACB the best game in the series, and I have replayed it myriad times. The issue is not the height of past characters, or even whether the short characters exist at all, the problem is the frequency of their representation in games where historical accuracy is both acknowledged and ignored. Why can't an Assassin be tall? It is a serious issue for myself to have little representation in one of my favourite game series to date. I am sure that I am not the only one who feels this way.

I was quite pleased to have engaged in discussion with you, as you at first seemed to be in a state of perpetual repose in context with the subject, but as soon as you found an easy way out once the odds were against you (trolling claim, etc.), you hopped the bandwagon and disengaged. You don't have to reply if you don't want to, but I am slightly disappointed.

Alphacos007
04-09-2015, 09:54 PM
Oh my...
I'm not even sure what to say here.
Just...LOL...

LoyalACFan
04-09-2015, 10:01 PM
Lol, 6 feet isn't even average today

I-Like-Pie45
04-10-2015, 05:19 AM
I sure wish a six-foot woman would date me!

HiddenKiller612
04-10-2015, 07:21 AM
I see the koolaid has been sipped upon again... Got tired of trolling other forums op?

pirate1802
04-10-2015, 07:30 AM
7/10 not as good as the Connor potato thread

Defalt221
04-10-2015, 09:14 AM

To each their own I guess. I am cool with any height provided that the assassin himself isn't stupid or moronic.

The_Kiwi_
04-10-2015, 11:23 AM
Units of measurement had different values in different times and places
Napoleon was not short, he was average, France just had larger values for feet measurement, which causes the confusion

What am I doing?
Yep, Arno is a turnip
Das rite