PDA

View Full Version : 10 Pages of Spam!!!!!

king-hailz
04-08-2015, 07:18 AM
This has been so annoying recently.... is there nothing you can do to prevent this! I had to go through 10 pages to find a thread...

HDinHB
04-08-2015, 08:34 AM
It's almost 20 pages now--your post was on page 10! It's almost as impressive as it is annoying. I don't see this other places...I wonder why Ubi gets the love?

I feel sorry for the mods that have to clean this up every day.

Democrito_71
04-08-2015, 11:40 AM
This has been so annoying recently.... is there nothing you can do to prevent this! I had to go through 10 pages to find a thread...

The forums needs a new security system to prevent these spams. It's become a bigger problem here on the forums when it's very easy to create new accounts.

It's almost 20 pages now--your post was on page 10! It's almost as impressive as it is annoying. I don't see this other places...I wonder why Ubi gets the love?
I feel sorry for the mods that have to clean this up every day.

Now it's 28 pages. Hope Ubi invest in a new security system to prevent these spams.
The big risk is if this problem become an even bigger problem (let's say, 100 pages of spam every day), is that forum members might leave the forums due to these spams.

NondairyGold
04-08-2015, 11:46 AM
The problem is the lack of mod presence. The reason spammers are here in high numbers is because they can see that their threads are still up 5-6 hours later. If they were deleted as soon as possible then they'd soon give up. I'm not blaming or having a go at any particular mod here but this is a global brand, and to not have someone look in every hour to see if everything is running as should be then something is lacking. It's basic moderating 101 :)

Shahkulu101
04-08-2015, 12:02 PM
The problem is the lack of mod presence. The reason spammers are here in high numbers is because they can see that their threads are still up 5-6 hours later. If they were deleted as soon as possible then they'd soon give up. I'm not blaming or having a go at any particular mod here but this is a global brand, and to not have someone look in every hour to see if everything is running as should be then something is lacking. It's basic moderating 101 :)

Dude, mods can't be on 24/7. The spam usually comes at a time when both the US and UK time zones are at night so you can hardly blame them...

In any case, kill all spammers.

ze_topazio
04-08-2015, 12:11 PM
It seems that the BWYWL thread got erased by mistake.

Mr_Shade
04-08-2015, 12:14 PM
Just checking on that.. please bear with us...

Anyone have it in recent posts able to post a link - it should still work, and i'll be able to dig it up...

NondairyGold
04-08-2015, 12:15 PM
Dude, mods can't be on 24/7. The spam usually comes at a time when both the US and UK time zones are at night so you can hardly blame them...

I totally agree with you... on both accounts.... But the fact of the matter still remains, when you are a global brand you should have a global presence. Spam should not be up for 5-6 hours, it only encourages the spammers.

ze_topazio
04-08-2015, 12:21 PM
Just checking on that.. please bear with us...

Anyone have it in recent posts able to post a link - it should still work, and i'll be able to dig it up...

I searched my posts but it seems they disappeared. :(

Edit: Forget that, it's back.

Mr_Shade
04-08-2015, 12:21 PM
I totally agree with you... on both accounts.... But the fact of the matter still remains, when you are a global brand you should have a global presence. Spam should not be up for 5-6 hours, it only encourages the spammers.

Hi,

Normally the US do cover the forums when we sleep - so there 'should' be cover - so can only apologise for the inconvenience.

Spam should now be clearing - and the odd thread removed in error, returned ;)

NondairyGold
04-08-2015, 12:27 PM
Hi,

Normally the US do cover the forums when we sleep - so there 'should' be cover - so can only apologise for the inconvenience.

Spam should now be clearing - and the odd thread removed in error, returned ;)

You have no reason to apologise, you're one of the mods that does an outstanding job and interacts with the community. If only we had more like you :)

dxsxhxcx
04-08-2015, 12:57 PM
https://38.media.tumblr.com/f10cf60ca2ca3ba0cbb5b55c847bfebd/tumblr_msr3e4l3en1sdsnpdo1_500.gif

they should require people with less than 100 posts to solve a captcha and ask us to solve one when we log in as well...

maybe try this (I don't know if this works or not but anything that improve the current situation is welcome)
https://www.google.com/recaptcha/intro/index.html

Markaccus
04-08-2015, 01:04 PM
https://38.media.tumblr.com/f10cf60ca2ca3ba0cbb5b55c847bfebd/tumblr_msr3e4l3en1sdsnpdo1_500.gif

they should create security measures for people with less than 100 posts like captcha or something link that...

That MPFC sketch is the first thing i thought of, and was about to post a link but you beat me to it.

SPAM, BEANS, PEAS, CHIPS AND SPAAAMMM!

Mr_Shade
04-08-2015, 01:36 PM
[IMG]
they should require people with less than 100 posts to solve a captcha and ask us to solve one when we log in as well...

We do have that....? ;)

These 'bots' are people and they just type it out - so avoiding it.

Anything stricter and we restrict the normal users...

Markaccus
04-08-2015, 01:46 PM

I'd willing to take a hit on restriction for a while, if it would make these utter tools give up :D . I suspect a few others might feel the same.

I appreciate you do you best with these pains in the a*se, so thanks for that anyway.

ze_topazio
04-08-2015, 01:49 PM
I only wonder what this Korean spammers think they can achieve by spamming publicity of Korean things in Korean language in a western forum.

Mr_Shade
04-08-2015, 01:50 PM
I'd willing to take a hit on restriction for a while, if it would make these utter tools give up :D . I suspect a few others might feel the same.

I appreciate you do you best with these pains in the a*se, so thanks for that anyway.

Unfortunately others are not :(

So, we have to cope best we can.

I'd advise no one clicks the links - however tempting - since this pays the posters a percentage for every click and that's what drives them to post more ;)

Markaccus
04-08-2015, 01:50 PM
I only wonder what this Korean spammers think they can achieve by spamming publicity of Korean things in Korean language in a western forum.

I think it's because they're so ronery.

wvstolzing
04-08-2015, 02:09 PM
Does anyone know what they're trying to achieve by spamming like that?

Is it search engine manipulation? Trying to overwhelm services? Sabotage?

Markaccus
04-08-2015, 02:26 PM

Nope. I am sure they genuinely want to increase the size of our *****es..... including the ladies. :D

Markaccus
04-08-2015, 02:27 PM
Ooo didn't realise even its proper name was blocked :-O

Democrito_71
04-08-2015, 02:31 PM

Can be all three as well although it could also be a way to trick people to click on their links(In their threads) so they can hijack & hack your computer and steal all personal information so, don't click on the links they put in their threads and as Mr.Shade advises "however tempting - since this pays the posters a percentage for every click and that's what drives them to post more;)" so avoid clicking on their threads at all times :cool:

Edit: Soppose the spammers haven't given up spamming our forums today it seems. Have they nothing else to do with their lives except spamming great forums or something??

Sorrosyss
04-08-2015, 07:47 PM
When I checked the forums this morning (8am UK), there was a good twenty pages of this drivel. I entirely respect Ubisoft, but you guys need to look at some solutions such as enhancing the account creation system with more checks, as this spam has been going on for weeks, and is frankly embarrassing for such a major site - especially as it may give a bad impression for any potential new fans/customers.

king-hailz
04-09-2015, 10:16 AM
I didn't see any of these replies until just now.... :P

Jackdaw951
04-09-2015, 03:57 PM

No, but a more effective anti-spam system can be on 24/7. I've suggested this before, and here it is again: no new accounts allowed when no moderation is available. Anyone attempting to register during mod-less times should get a polite message saying they need to try again later, and perhaps even suggest a time. Logins at any time are fine; new accounts are not. Simple, and it would cure the problem outright. The only thing to hash out is the determination of whether moderation is present or not. I'm sure it can be worked out.

Megas_Doux
04-09-2015, 04:13 PM
No, but a more effective anti-spam system can be on 24/7. I've suggested this before, and here it is again: no new accounts allowed when no moderation is available. Anyone attempting to register during mod-less times should get a polite message saying they need to try again later, and perhaps even suggest a time.

I used to moderate a forum once, not as big as this of course, but there was a time in which we suffered this kind of stuff and we decided that accounts with less than 50 posts would need their threads to be "moderated" first.

Shahkulu101
04-09-2015, 04:25 PM
I used to moderate a forum once, not as big as this of course, but there was a time in which we suffered this kind of stuff and we decided that accounts with less than 50 posts would need their threads to be "moderated" first.

This sounds like a good idea. Harsh on new users but an effective anti-spamming system is severely needed.

Mr_Shade
04-09-2015, 04:29 PM
This sounds like a good idea. Harsh on new users but an effective anti-spamming system is severely needed.

Unfortunately when we have several thousand new users - each day at alpha and game launches, not really practical :(

Locopells
04-10-2015, 09:55 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1fnPYIMCUSY

Sorry guys, I was away yesterday!

Spam hunting now *fetches machete and shotgun*

SpiritOfNevaeh
04-10-2015, 01:43 PM
11 pages today after maintenance.

MAKE IT STOP X_X

D.I.D.
04-10-2015, 01:47 PM
We do have that....? ;)

These 'bots' are people and they just type it out - so avoiding it.

That's really puzzling, then. If they're real people, I'm surprised they don't realise that almost nobody here can read their messages.

I made this suggestion to Uplay support, but they didn't answer... Given that this is an English language forum, would it be possible to set up a quiet auto-delete/purgatory of any threads using non-Roman characters in the thread titles?

Markaccus
04-10-2015, 02:41 PM
That's really puzzling, then. If they're real people, I'm surprised they don't realise that almost nobody here can read their messages.

I made this suggestion to Uplay support, but they didn't answer... Given that this is an English language forum, would it be possible to set up a quiet auto-delete/purgatory of any threads using non-Roman characters in the thread titles?

Yeah but all they would do is title their posts with random english words so that the filter will miss them. They wont care if the first 3 pages are full of posts called "car elderberry teapot" and the like.

D.I.D.
04-10-2015, 02:50 PM
Yeah but all they would do is title their posts with random english words so that the filter will miss them. They wont care if the first 3 pages are full of posts called "car elderberry teapot" and the like.

That's if they are real people, and if they are real people, if they notice! Presumably they're hitting this and dozens of other forums all at the same time. Maybe the accounts are set up by real people, but I have strong doubts that the subsequent posts are the work of human beings.

It's got to be worth a try, no?

Markaccus
04-10-2015, 03:47 PM
That's if they are real people, and if they are real people, if they notice! Presumably they're hitting this and dozens of other forums all at the same time. Maybe the accounts are set up by real people, but I have strong doubts that the subsequent posts are the work of human beings.

It's got to be worth a try, no?

Anything is worth a try i suppose. I vote we hunt down those responsible and shoot thwm with s**t :D