PDA

View Full Version : A Dinah for Din-Din?

Daiichidoku
09-18-2004, 02:47 AM
Ok, I read a story about this waaaaaaay back, when I was about 10 years old, so I have no details. I'm hoping someone out there knows it, and can refresh my memory, and maybe entertain others...

The story involves a number of Corsairs intercepting a Dinah(?) somewhere, can't remember the area...a Dinah was on a recon mission, and several Corsairs set off after it.
Eventually, only 1 or 2 of the Corsairs managed to get enough alt and close on the Dinah...this took place well over the Corsairs service ceiling, which the Dinah's, I believe, was superior, and normally not threatened by interception on high-alt recons...anyhow, once in gun range, both the Corsair pilot and the Dinah gunner found thier guns unservicable due to frozen lubricants at the extreme altitude...the Corsir pilot relates that he could actually see the gunner pounding his fists on his frozen gun!...this nutso Corsair pilot actually caught up to the Dinah, and used that big-@ss prop to chew the tail of the Dinah!....not sure if it was the vert or horz surface, but I imagine the horz! lol...sadly, I cant even remember the end result, but it must have been the Dinah losing control and augering in, with or without bailouts.....the Corsair and its pilot I think got home ok, in spite of the damage to the prop, but of course I could easily be wrong about that...I do remember the story was in the first person, so at the very least he would have bailed and survived!

Hope someone can fill in the details!

http://groups.msn.com/TaoofDaiichidoku/shoebox.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=1

Daiichidoku
09-18-2004, 02:47 AM
Ok, I read a story about this waaaaaaay back, when I was about 10 years old, so I have no details. I'm hoping someone out there knows it, and can refresh my memory, and maybe entertain others...

The story involves a number of Corsairs intercepting a Dinah(?) somewhere, can't remember the area...a Dinah was on a recon mission, and several Corsairs set off after it.
Eventually, only 1 or 2 of the Corsairs managed to get enough alt and close on the Dinah...this took place well over the Corsairs service ceiling, which the Dinah's, I believe, was superior, and normally not threatened by interception on high-alt recons...anyhow, once in gun range, both the Corsair pilot and the Dinah gunner found thier guns unservicable due to frozen lubricants at the extreme altitude...the Corsir pilot relates that he could actually see the gunner pounding his fists on his frozen gun!...this nutso Corsair pilot actually caught up to the Dinah, and used that big-@ss prop to chew the tail of the Dinah!....not sure if it was the vert or horz surface, but I imagine the horz! lol...sadly, I cant even remember the end result, but it must have been the Dinah losing control and augering in, with or without bailouts.....the Corsair and its pilot I think got home ok, in spite of the damage to the prop, but of course I could easily be wrong about that...I do remember the story was in the first person, so at the very least he would have bailed and survived!

Hope someone can fill in the details!

stansdds
09-18-2004, 08:34 AM
The Mitsubishi Ki-46 "Dinah" had a service ceiling of 35,170 feet, The F4U-1 Corsair had a service ceiling of 36,900 feet, so I don't think the Dinah operated beyond the Corsair's service ceiling. It would take any WW II era aircraft a long time to reach those altitudes, so a Dinah over its target area and flying at 30,000 feet or more would be safe for a while, but eventually the Corsairs would catch up to it.

Zyzbot
09-18-2004, 11:43 AM
i think you'll find your story on this link:

http://www.wfix.net/Checkerboards/Stories.html

Daiichidoku
09-18-2004, 02:10 PM
Zyzbot, that was it! tyvm sir....its nice when the ppl in these forums show how good an experience here can be, instead of the mor ecommon flames and other c r a p

stansdds
09-18-2004, 02:49 PM
Great combat story!