PDA

View Full Version : Manual Prop pitch Xperts, need ur help

Mike8686
08-30-2004, 05:23 PM
How do you use it and how does it help you? I know what it literally does with the prop chopping air but when is this helpful. Gimme examples of when and how u use it and how it helps u. I'm mainly an FW, TA, and Bf flyer.

Mike8686
08-30-2004, 05:23 PM
How do you use it and how does it help you? I know what it literally does with the prop chopping air but when is this helpful. Gimme examples of when and how u use it and how it helps u. I'm mainly an FW, TA, and Bf flyer.

WTE_Galway
08-30-2004, 05:45 PM
oh dear http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

- preset throttle (I use 85% cruise, 110% combat)and leave it alone, train your dog to bite you if you touch it except in a dive
- adjust revs with pitch never exceeding engine maximum (depends on 109)
- on take off keep pitch down around 50-60% until rolling
- in a dive cut throttle as well as pitch or you will over-rev

NonWonderDog
08-30-2004, 06:46 PM
Well, I never touch the manual prop lever in a Me-109 except on take-off and landing (as was usually done in real life). On takeoff I use 90% pitch and throttle up slowly, but I really only do it because I know in the back of my mind that I'm supposed to. It works fine in auto. But using 50% pitch on takeoff defeats the entire purpose of using manual pitch (mainly to be more gentle on the engine (!), although I don't think it makes any difference in the sim), you shouldn't have to do it.

I slowly push it up to 100% pitch for landings, taking care not to overrev the engine; it really makes things easier. You can slow down a whole lot quicker and you don't have to wait for the prop to spool up if you have to make a go-around. Just remember not to slam the power on all at once.

If you really want to use manual pitch during combat in the 109 (and it does give you a very marginal increase in power), you'll need to be quick in making adjustments. You basically need to adjust the prop based on airspeed: the faster you go, the coarser the pitch. Wind the prop way back when you dive, you can flatten the pitch when you climb. RPM is controlled by throttle, pitch, and airspeed; keep it under 2500 to avoid engine damage.

In most of the other planes, i.e. every plane with a constant speed prop, it's not really all that vital to mess around with prop pitch. I just pull it back to cruise RPM (2000-2100 in an FW-190A, 2500-2600 in a Dora) while cruising to keep engine temps in check and manage fuel economy. You can pull RPMs back in a dive to help cool the engine without losing much if any speed, but you should push it back to combat settings when you climb out.

ZG77_Lignite
08-30-2004, 07:56 PM
For a historical reference, None of the aircraft you mentioned above would use 'manual prop pitch' (loaded term in FB) after the Battle of Britain (very early Emils), except as mentioned by NonWonderDog in the Bf109 for takeoff and landing.

My opinion is that most historic Bf109 pilots would not bother with it then either as it is mainly a safety precaution against governor failure (which is quite unlikely, though if it does fail, I believe it fails in the 'course' or Low RPM position, not good for generating horsepower), and is not specifically necessary.

WUAF_Badsight
08-31-2004, 12:20 AM
there is no prop pitch

people dont use prop pitch

your foolish to play & experiment with prop pitch

youll sleep deeper by playing FB without thinking about prop pitch

ignorance is bliss & all that . . . . .

__________________________________________________ __________________________
actual UBI post :
"If their is a good server with wonder woman views but historic planesets...let me know!" http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/images/smiley/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

F19_Ob
08-31-2004, 01:40 AM
I have tried find people who use the manual pitch in the 109 with succes and ask if the do have it assigned to a slider ( claimed to work better).
I'm still practising manual pitch in the early 109's wich didnt have the autofunction yet, as a prelude to olegs BoB, And I still have that moderate succes in BnZ.
I cant do anything of the effective fast vertical maneuvering that I normally do with auto pitch.

any thoughts.....any known manual-pitch aces in the 109 I can ask?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Some of u may have missed the
Franz stigler interview? He gives his word on how many things worked in RL:
http://109lair.hobbyvista.com/articles/pilots/stigler/stigler.htm

http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/images/smiley/sonar.gif

LittleMadZ
08-31-2004, 01:42 AM
I'm a fan of manual prop pitch... i find it easier to fight with this configuration because i can avoid most stalls... (probably it's only a bit of madness but for me it works).

For what u say in using prop pitch in take off and landings i knew an italian pilot who told me exactly the same thing (prop pitch 100% in landing).

Guys i think the concept of a constant speed prop is to use prop pitch to "fly" the plane, so i caon always use the maximum power the engine can give me. However i have to admin that the only plane that really seem to react well to prop pitch changes is the 109.

hi to all

Madz

WTE_Galway
08-31-2004, 02:09 AM
one small point about vertical manouveres and prop pitch in the emil

it is not a co-incidence that the throttle and pitch levers in the Emil are side by side and positioned in a way that you can move both of them together in a single action