PDA

View Full Version : Is hunting/crafting really that important?

LoyalACFan
04-06-2015, 12:25 AM
Just wondering. I've seen a lot of people dismayed by the fact that they removed these aspects from Unity, but personally, I always thought they sucked. Hunting just involved running around randomly waiting for an animal to spawn in the marked location, and crafting was just going into a menu and pushing a button once you had collected all the right crap. Hardly an engaging mechanic IMO. Not to mention the ridiculousness of "you must have THREE ENTIRE WHALE SKINS to craft this pouch for your belt" :rolleyes:

I didn't even like hunting that much in RDR, but at least in that game there was a little bit of skill and situational awareness involved since some of the animals could easily kill you, and the economy was balanced to where your harvested goods could turn you a decent profit. In AC, you could easily make more money by raiding a single ship than even the most valuable animal pelt could fetch you.

dxsxhxcx
04-06-2015, 12:31 AM
I hated these features and I hope they never return...

NondairyGold
04-06-2015, 12:39 AM
If it was implemented correctly like in Far Cry 4 then it would have been a far better mechanic. It was just a throw away feature after AC 3 when you could just buy all the crafting items you needed.

Shahkulu101
04-06-2015, 12:46 AM
Don't mind it being there if it works alright. It was better implemented in AC4 but still not very engaging.

If they return in some form, cool. If they don't, oh well. Kinda indifferent.

I-Like-Pie45
04-06-2015, 12:50 AM
eating is much better than hunting

munch munch

Namikaze_17
04-06-2015, 12:51 AM
I didn't mind it; but it being gone or returning in the near future doesn't bother me.

Megas_Doux
04-06-2015, 02:01 AM
Don't mind it being there if it works alright. It was better implemented in AC4 but still not very engaging.

If they return in some form, cool. If they don't, oh well. Kinda indifferent.

This!

Fortunately AC IV´s economy didn´t rely that much on hunting like AC III. The difficulty and thrill, or should I say the absence of those was utterly embarrasing. They could have learned a couple of things from RDR, for instance.

Alphacos007
04-06-2015, 02:07 AM
I don't really care. I try to hunt at least one of each animal just to say that I did it, but usually I just buy all the pelts that I need for the crafting.

JustPlainQuirky
04-06-2015, 02:08 AM
crafting has always been a chore for me

i liked the hunting tho

though thats probably because im a predator at heart

wait...

Namikaze_17
04-06-2015, 02:13 AM
I don't really care. I try to hunt at least one of each animal just to say that I did it, but usually I just buy all the pelts that I need for the crafting.

I always laughed at that. What's the point of going to XYZ island to kill this animal when I could just go to Havana, Kingston, or Nassau to purchase it. :rolleyes:

GoldenBoy9999
04-06-2015, 02:55 AM
I was super hyped for AC3 when I heard it would include hunting, a feature I had wanted since AC2 actually. It was pretty atmospheric, but it wasn't that rewarding and it wasn't that fun though. Hunting seemed kinda subdued in AC4, there were less places you could go to hunt. Each animal would just be in a very small area, like a monkey in a tree that didn't move. Personally, I never bought skins at a store once in AC4. It honestly felt like cheating.

So, I won't mind hunting missing in Victory, or the (hopefully) upcoming Jazz Age game, but I'd like to see a refined version come back in a Robin Hood-like game, or maybe the Meiji Restoration Japan one. It just needs to take a few tips from RDR or it's successor.

About crafting, I didn't mind it. Put it in the game with hunting.

SixKeys
04-06-2015, 07:24 AM
I like crafting, but dislike hunting. The whaling in AC4/Rogue was fun though, it required more effort from the player than just walking into a deer that had gotten itself stuck in a tree and pressing X. Especially in Rogue where you also had to dodge floating ice.

Hunting should have been done more like RDR from the beginning:

1) Proper use of bait, i.e. it's effective but also requires you to be quiet and keep at a distance (not just hiding in a bush 3 feet away)
2) Dangerous animals should be actually dangerous. Taking down grizzly bears and pumas was ridiculously easy in AC3, whereas I **** myself every time I heard a cougar roar in RDR

Crafting would be more fun if we could craft actually useful things, not just things to sell for profit. We should be able to gather the ingredients for medicine, poison, sleep darts and berserk darts ourselves, by gathering different plants and opening the right chests. Bomb crafting could be a possibility too (just not as excessive as in ACR). This should be the ONLY method of acquiring these concoctions - there's no point in introducing a hunting mechanic and then just allowing the player to walk into a store and purchase everything they need.

So in my opinion, ditch the hunting (or improve it), keep the crafting.

SpiritOfNevaeh
04-06-2015, 07:52 AM
I liked the crafting and the hunting, but tbh they could have done a better job with how the elements were implemented.

e.g. AC3 - YOU COULD ONLY CRAFT ONE ITEM AT A TIME!!! ONE!!!!!!
AC4 - Why the heck does killing a HUGE WHITE WHALE only give you ONE whale skin

pirate1802
04-06-2015, 08:11 AM
I am thinking, that the reason these two things are included in games these days is to immerse the players right? But what they end up being, are chores, and most often, boring chores. What is fun in going at a location, press a few buttons and get skins. And then magically combine those stuff and voila! Suddenly I have ...somehow... increased my health. In AC games both hunting and crafting are so ridiculous it's almost embarrassing. Hunting has no challenge to it. Dangerous animals fall like nine pins. Which is why it is so perplexing then, that this same Ubisoft, maybe quite a few of the same people who worked on AC, made Farcry's hunting so good. A: The location of animals aren't immediately made obvious to you (you are given a wide area in which to hunt. And B: The animals are actually dangerous and can kill you, atleast until you get too powerful. Have you ever had to run away any from animals in any AC games? Those ****ing comodo dragons make me run away everytime I see them, and only shoot at them from a distance. And you have to stay quiet. If you move about, make noise the animals will know your position. Sure, even this system can be improved further (baits and traps etcetera) but the hunting system in Farcry is pretty good as is. How can Ubisoft make such a good hunting system in one of their games and such a ****ty one in the other is a mystery worth writing dissertation papers on.

Now crafting. This, unfortunately, is ludicrous in both AC and FC. Someone mentioned the hilarity of needing three complete whale skins to craft something as small as a pouch. Lol. And add to that, the facts like, after needing crocodile skins to craft a bullet pouch, you must now gather hammerhead skins for the next pouch upgrade! This is absolutely ridiculous, immersion breaking and undoes the fundamental purpose of including these things: immersion. And especially, in Black Flag, why must I hunt when I can simply buy that stuff from shops? Sure, they are expensive but then money never was a problem for the indulgent AC fan was it? Crafting, to be made good, needs to give away this random and funny way of combining stuff to magically produce something. Let us have first a nonlinear tree for crafting. Take into account the state of the pelt. Let us have a number of things that we can do with that pelt and not just the sole option of say, crafting a health upgrade. All these would let the player feel actually involved in the process of making something rather than feeling like a child whom his father has given a shiny piece of plastic and being told it is an awesome toy.

wvstolzing
04-06-2015, 10:11 AM
What is there to hunt in metropolitan Paris anyway?

I'm instructed to kill petty thugs every 30 seconds, but I guess that doesn't count as 'hunting'.

Mr.Black24
04-06-2015, 10:24 AM
It depends on which game really.

What I love about AC3 is that no matter how far you travel, animals will randomly spawn wherever you go. I killed and skinned one deer, cool, I run off into the distance for a while, not long until I found another one! Bamm got another, run, and found another again. The great thing is, wherever you go, it shows that indeed the Frontier is filled with wildlife. its not like Black Flag, where I always have to go to a certain area to get certain animals. It may apply to bears and cougars in AC3, but at least they are in multiple areas, and do spawn more frequently than in Black Flag. Its like if I'm on a mission, or traveling to a certain area, the animals are right there just in case I want to snag one, and I find that pretty cool. Like I don't have to run for 25 mins to find an animal.

The crafting system was never complicated for me, although I do agree that having 3 WHALE skins to make something is ludicrous, makes me wonder if Ubisoft ever seen a whale before?

BananaBlighter
04-06-2015, 02:39 PM
In Black Flag it was pretty cool, but one thing I found annoying in Rogue was that I completed the whole game without really needing the upgrades, and in the end I just bought all the materials because I was quite rich and finding them individually was kinda hard for some species.

Markaccus
04-06-2015, 05:34 PM
I am thinking, that the reason these two things are included in games these days is to immerse the players right? But what they end up being, are chores, and most often, boring chores. What is fun in going at a location, press a few buttons and get skins. And then magically combine those stuff and voila! Suddenly I have ...somehow... increased my health. In AC games both hunting and crafting are so ridiculous it's almost embarrassing. Hunting has no challenge to it. Dangerous animals fall like nine pins. Which is why it is so perplexing then, that this same Ubisoft, maybe quite a few of the same people who worked on AC, made Farcry's hunting so good. A: The location of animals aren't immediately made obvious to you (you are given a wide area in which to hunt. And B: The animals are actually dangerous and can kill you, atleast until you get too powerful. Have you ever had to run away any from animals in any AC games? Those ****ing comodo dragons make me run away everytime I see them, and only shoot at them from a distance. And you have to stay quiet. If you move about, make noise the animals will know your position. Sure, even this system can be improved further (baits and traps etcetera) but the hunting system in Farcry is pretty good as is. How can Ubisoft make such a good hunting system in one of their games and such a ****ty one in the other is a mystery worth writing dissertation papers on.

Now crafting. This, unfortunately, is ludicrous in both AC and FC. Someone mentioned the hilarity of needing three complete whale skins to craft something as small as a pouch. Lol. And add to that, the facts like, after needing crocodile skins to craft a bullet pouch, you must now gather hammerhead skins for the next pouch upgrade! This is absolutely ridiculous, immersion breaking and undoes the fundamental purpose of including these things: immersion. And especially, in Black Flag, why must I hunt when I can simply buy that stuff from shops? Sure, they are expensive but then money never was a problem for the indulgent AC fan was it? Crafting, to be made good, needs to give away this random and funny way of combining stuff to magically produce something. Let us have first a nonlinear tree for crafting. Take into account the state of the pelt. Let us have a number of things that we can do with that pelt and not just the sole option of say, crafting a health upgrade. All these would let the player feel actually involved in the process of making something rather than feeling like a child whom his father has given a shiny piece of plastic and being told it is an awesome toy.

Totally agree with this. In FC3 killing one komodo dragon close up was often fatal, because 5 of the ****ers would show up from nowhere and suddenly you were dog food.

And the crafting in both franchises was and is LUDICROUS! One skin,or two at the most, should be sufficient to craft the items you need. The bigger the item, the bigger the animal, and for stronger items, tougher skins should be required. I suppose ubisoft are known to get carried away with something that is, at its core, a good idea.

Megas_Doux
04-06-2015, 05:38 PM
It depends on which game really.

What I love about AC3 is that no matter how far you travel, animals will randomly spawn wherever you go. I killed and skinned one deer, cool, I run off into the distance for a while, not long until I found another one! Bamm got another, run, and found another again. The great thing is, wherever you go, it shows that indeed the Frontier is filled with wildlife. its not like Black Flag, where I always have to go to a certain area to get certain animals. It may apply to bears and cougars in AC3, but at least they are in multiple areas, and do spawn more frequently than in Black Flag. Its like if I'm on a mission, or traveling to a certain area, the animals are right there just in case I want to snag one, and I find that pretty cool. Like I don't have to run for 25 mins to find an animal.

The crafting system was never complicated for me, although I do agree that having 3 WHALE skins to make something is ludicrous, makes me wonder if Ubisoft ever seen a whale before?

Problem is that either the wild life is dumb or just plain weak. Being surrounded by a pack of wolves SHOULD be thrilling and challenging, not a succession of QTE´s......

Markaccus
04-06-2015, 05:53 PM
The hunting challenges in rogue, for me anyway, all ended up the same....putting several hares/deer/wolves to sleep and skinning them.

GunnerGalactico
04-06-2015, 06:10 PM
I liked AC3's concept of hunting better than AC4 and Rogue, although it could've been done better in a few areas. I like the use of snare and bait during hunting because it feels more realistic. I also like the idea of crafting items with all the resources that you acquire. I agree with SixKeys about crafting items for your own personal use. The biggest let-down for me in AC3 was having the bow and arrows as an assassination weapon only, when it could've been used as a hunting weapon as well. I so badly wanted to hunt animals with it, but because of damaging pelts, I was restricted to using hidden blades and bare hands only.

I also enjoyed whaling in AC4/Rogue because I found it challenging in a fun sort of way. As far as I'm concerned about the crafting, I feel that one whale skin should be sufficient enough to craft 2 or 3 items.

straty88
04-06-2015, 07:20 PM
AC3s Bow and Arrow didn't damage pelts. I know it said that in the tutorial to hunting but I don't think it did. Or at least it didn't come up with the '1+ Damaged wolf pelt' update. It just showed the regular 1+ Wolf pelt.

wvstolzing
04-06-2015, 07:38 PM
Problem is that either the wild life is dumb or just plain weak. Being surrounded by a pack of wolves SHOULD be thrilling and challenging, not a succession of QTE´s......

It's pretty challenging if you're playing at awful framerates on a laptop with just integrated graphics :D -- and I thought the difficulty was by design. After playing on a system that can actually register the keystrokes on time, I realized that it wasn't.

SpiritOfNevaeh
04-06-2015, 07:46 PM
I liked AC3's concept of hunting better than AC4 and Rogue, although it could've been done better in a few areas. I like the use of snare and bait during hunting because it feels more realistic. I also like the idea of crafting items with all the resources that you acquire. I agree with SixKeys about crafting items for your own personal use. The biggest let-down for me in AC3 was having the bow and arrows as an assassination weapon only, when it could've been used as a hunting weapon as well. I so badly wanted to hunt animals with it, but because of damaging pelts, I was restricted to using hidden blades and bare hands only.

I also enjoyed whaling in AC4/Rogue because I found it challenging in a fun sort of way. As far as I'm concerned about the crafting, I feel that one whale skin should be sufficient enough to craft 2 or 3 items.

Agreed.

AC3s Bow and Arrow didn't damage pelts. I know it said that in the tutorial to hunting but I don't think it did. Or at least it didn't come up with the '1+ Damaged wolf pelt' update. It just showed the regular 1+ Wolf pelt.

And yes this is true. I noticed that the second time around when I was hunting that the damaged pelts weren't coming up.

I thought it was more realistic that way, considered it's just an arrow piercing/wound so it should make so much damage to a pelt.