PDA

View Full Version : So is Unity still a broken turd?

DNMock
04-05-2015, 09:50 PM
Just got done playing Rogue, enjoyed it, thought I would check in and see if Ubisoft has just written off Unity or if they are actually trying to fix it.

You know, like properly patching in support for SLI systems, LOD issues, FPS, etc. etc. The stuff that needs to actually be there to make the game functionally playable...

strigoi1958
04-05-2015, 11:24 PM
None of those things are for REAL gamers... people with a fictional FPS figure in their heads who think any game that cannot match it is broken... it is not... their perception is.

Unity has no LOD issues... a few individuals have an issue with the LOD Unity has, again that is their problem.

SLI always has, is and always will be a problem and.. it is Nvidias problem...not Ubisofts...

Frag_Maniac
04-06-2015, 12:51 AM
"Broken" I think depends a lot on what spec you have, what settings you settle for, and and how tolerant you are to bugs, mostly AI.

I just made a thread about it's many shortcomings, but only because I see a lot of wasted potential. I didn't really even get into the oft seen running or walking in place AI, or that many of them walk up over objects they should be walking around. Or the control glitches where Arno gets momentarily stuck in mid air doing an air assassination, or stuck on an object that I have to struggle to free him from. The reason I didn't mention those is they are the common things complained about, but there's also a lot of strange design features.

I think what it comes down to is they spent 75% or more of the time on graphics alone, and had little time for perfecting the gameplay design or polish. Thus it comes off as a strange mix of a game that's half masterpiece, half mess. That said, being both devs AND pubs, they DID have the option to delay it a year or more and fix such problems. One of Ubi's biggest mistakes lately I think are short production cycles and simultaneous releases, the latter of which leads to rushed PC ports with many problems.

Basically they're too eager to fill their coffers at short intervals. That said, their creativity is still solid for the most part, it's what always keeps me coming back to AC and Far Cry. I also like the upgrade system in Unity. You can rake in the cash pretty fast once you renovate all clubs and do all the theater missions, but they keep you honest requiring skill and creed points to upgrade what you unlock or buy. There's also many options on how to outfit yourself regarding what you carry or what skills are buffed.

I'm now rockin a prowler/phantom combo in shadow color scheme and have the Eagle and Suger weapons. The game's not without it's lure.

IcarusLSC
04-07-2015, 11:51 PM
Yes it is. even with single cards its a stuttering mess for many. SLI is even worse and neither Nvidia or Ubi care.

Frag_Maniac
04-08-2015, 12:22 AM
I think most thought multi GPU setups would be more efficient and popular by now, but lately they seem to be getting less and less reliable. I guess it depends what percentage of games you expect it to work well with. My opinion is that if you're inclined to frequently play games made by devs that don't code very well, it's to be avoided.

Senningiri_GR
04-08-2015, 04:05 PM
I played Assassin's Creed Unity... the game sucked from the very first moment... In the first sequences there were LONG loading screen, waiting for half hour or more, the game was getting stuck, terrible graphics, Arno's hair was everywhere and couldn't progress further the chase in Sequence 1, memory 2. However, I managed to go through after re-installing and installing again, playing from the beginning... It was going on perfectly in Versailles, until Paris. Then the same problems and when I got the Assassin Outfit... The game lost all it saves and I was only able to play it in Computer Saving, so no Coop and XP in Initiates. Ubisoft thank you for the wonderful year and for wasting your money and time in that flop and your lies about the Patch 4 that gave us hopes that you did not steal us.
ALSO Assassins Creed IV Black Flag was not working properly but could be played and NO SAVES IN THE CLOUD

I REALLY WONDER IF UBI EVEN HEAR US OR IS EVEN TRYING OR TRIED TO FIX IT!!!

Frag_Maniac
04-08-2015, 11:24 PM
From what I've seen Unity plays best on high end Nvidia GPU based PCs with a gamepad. That way you get great graphics with high settings and fast movement and reaction time.

I'm playing patched to 1.5 with an i7 950, 7970, and 8GB 1600 RAM. I have the settings adjusted to the equivalent of the PS4 according to PC Gamer, except that instead of being capped at 30 FPS, I cap it to 40, which I can mostly stay at.

The thing is, at times I can sprint around Paris nice and fast, but whenever I run by big crowds, even without contacting anyone, I'll suddenly go into a slow jog. I'm also getting slower movement and reaction time in rooftop parkour and combat than what I see in people's videos using high end Nvidia and gamepads.

I get the feeling part of it is the controls are poorly ported to KB/M, but clearly high end Nvidia GPUs and modern CPUs have an upper hand. It's also well known the game doesn't scale well to settings. They didn't optimize the PC port well at all.

Apesh_tViking
04-10-2015, 05:11 PM
Geforce Experience tries to tell me I can play this game at max settings, which is a big steaming pile of bulllcr@p.
I've tried various settings, all the way from max to high, at high it is barely playable (running is okayish, but when something happens, camera angle takes a whack and I am suddenly facing/running a different direction) and combat is not very responsive. Mind you, I've just bought (for a mere 5 bucks, (suck it ubi, I'll never buy at full price since your abysmal WD fail) and installed the game, so more tweaking is needed on my part. ACBF was smooth at max settings though, guess that was another developing studio. I don't suffer from extreme loading times though, because the game is installed on an SSD.

So, for now I can only deduce that the geforce-crew have smoked some serious alternative medicine, and Ubi is still doing nothing to optimize a game that was developed for console, then ported over to PC, slapped a sticker on and called an AAA title.

My rig:
i7 2600K
16GB RAM
Nvidia Geforce GTX 690
128GB Samsung EVO ssd (OS-only)
Intel 530 240GB SSD (game disk), etc.

ST1NGG
04-11-2015, 07:55 PM
Just got done playing Rogue, enjoyed it, thought I would check in and see if Ubisoft has just written off Unity or if they are actually trying to fix it.

You know, like properly patching in support for SLI systems, LOD issues, FPS, etc. etc. The stuff that needs to actually be there to make the game functionally playable...

i just bought unity from cd key as download and this is 30 hours later the game has downloaded 3 time and tryed to start only to go back to 30k mb and start downloading again any idea who or what i can do to fix this or is the game bugged and wont run on pc windows

ST1NGG
04-11-2015, 07:58 PM
looks as if we just pay u money so they can spend it on the good life and we just spend days trying to fix the crapy download and hope the unity game will start and run

ST1NGG
04-11-2015, 08:02 PM
spent 30 hours 2 days of hoping unity will complete the download without saying there is a file fault and starts to re download

RVSage
04-12-2015, 05:19 AM
Still people are crying... To me people are too obsessed with the FPS numbers.....yes good FPS is a nice to have.. But as long as the game is playable it is fine.... And SLI issues is not ubi's fault... Ubi did release a buggy game..But they more than made up for it.. If you are not satisfied.. Well that is your opinion... I respect it.. But please don't keep posting hate posts.. repeatedly.. I am sick of it

Senningiri_GR
04-12-2015, 10:13 AM
Exactly mate... I contacted Ubi support and hope they help.

Senningiri_GR
04-23-2015, 06:14 PM
Followed instructions... nothing only able to play while freezing

zYnthethicz
04-24-2015, 12:38 AM
Ubisoft lied, ACU died.