PDA

View Full Version : So, what are our overall thoughts on the Chronicles?

LoyalACFan
04-05-2015, 11:06 AM
I can't really decide how to feel about them. On the one hand, I'm stoked that they seem to be both wrapping up the stories of loose-end characters AND attempting a wholly fresh take on the series. But on the other hand, I can't shake the nagging feeling that they're doing it mostly to appease fans who have been asking for more female/minority characters and more diverse locales, without really making any significant changes to the core of the franchise. It's easier to be more creative on a smaller, low-risk DLC than a core game, but creativity is what the core games are starving for. Don't get me wrong, I've always thought Victorian London would be perfect for AC, but after a while, you start realizing that the franchise is becoming mired in Euro-centric locations in the Age of Imperialism. I just worry slightly that the Chronicles are a way for them to say "look how fresh and exciting the franchise is!" while continuing to stick to more familiar concepts for the main games so they can reuse assets as efficiently as possible.

Megas_Doux
04-05-2015, 12:53 PM
I can't really decide how to feel about them. On the one hand, I'm stoked that they seem to be both wrapping up the stories of loose-end characters AND attempting a wholly fresh take on the series. But on the other hand, I can't shake the nagging feeling that they're doing it mostly to appease fans who have been asking for more female/minority characters and more diverse locales, without really making any significant changes to the core of the franchise. It's easier to be more creative on a smaller, low-risk DLC than a core game, but creativity is what the core games are starving for. Don't get me wrong, I've always thought Victorian London would be perfect for AC, but after a while, you start realizing that the franchise is becoming mired in Euro-centric locations in the Age of Imperialism. I just worry slightly that the Chronicles are a way for them to say "look how fresh and exciting the franchise is!" while continuing to stick to more familiar concepts for the main games so they can reuse assets as efficiently as possible.

I feel exactly like you, if not a little bit more unsure considering that China and India have been some of the places I've wanted to visit the most. It's pretty obvious at this pint that because of annualization they choose eras in which they can recycle as much assets as possible. In my dream world games would be released every two or three years alternating eras and places, but meh.....

Markaccus
04-05-2015, 12:58 PM
Although i have been (mostly) a loyal fan of the main games, this type of side game doesnt really grab my enthusiasm. I have kind of kept an eye on the timeline story of ac, but i rarely look at it in depth tbh. Add the fact that i am really only enthusiastic about open-world titles, then this wont be getting any interest from me.

JamesFaith007
04-05-2015, 01:50 PM
I can't really decide how to feel about them. On the one hand, I'm stoked that they seem to be both wrapping up the stories of loose-end characters AND attempting a wholly fresh take on the series. But on the other hand, I can't shake the nagging feeling that they're doing it mostly to appease fans who have been asking for more female/minority characters and more diverse locales, without really making any significant changes to the core of the franchise. It's easier to be more creative on a smaller, low-risk DLC than a core game, but creativity is what the core games are starving for.

For me Chronicles are simple compromise.

Fans wanted AC games with characters from other AC medias.
UBI didn't plan to use these characters in standard games.

Result is these smaller format games.

SpiritOfNevaeh
04-05-2015, 03:49 PM
I'm exciting for any AC related media that comes out.

But of course, I will not hype so much.

All I can say is to expect the worse and get the best rather than the other way around.

RA503
04-05-2015, 04:09 PM
Ubsoft made eurocentric games because of imaturish treads like ''connors have potato face'' and critics that says that connors is boring expecting that everyone have to be a ezio clone.

also victorian london is my hyped location after read ''from hell'' maybe the next game we return to america or go to asia.

I-Like-Pie45
04-05-2015, 04:13 PM
waste of india setting and needless pandering to dynasty-apologist anti-true peoples republic chinese and russian imperalist audiences

melbye82
04-05-2015, 04:26 PM
I am looking forward to although with the amount of 2D that has come out over the last few years i find it had to be enthustiactic about anything 2D

Hans684
04-05-2015, 05:22 PM
Transport it to PS Vita.

Assassin_M
04-05-2015, 06:40 PM
I think since Ubisoft basically said that AC could go for a while, no one should really complain about settings being "wasted". They're bound to run out of conventional settings and give the main games exotic settings like China and India. So unless Ubisoft goes bankrupt soon, i'm not worried. Looking Forward to Chronicles. Love the art style.

VestigialLlama4
04-05-2015, 08:54 PM
I despise it with the fire of a Thousand Suns.

1) The art styles are cliches of Chinese, India and Russia.
2) They are pseudo-indie titles. Poaching on genuine innovation in Mark of the Ninja for a lame-*** cash grab.
3) By using the settings this way, they devalue the surprise and innovation from any attempt to do a major title. Basically, these Chronicles games are good confirmation bias. If they succeed and do well, Ubisoft can say yeah they sold well but it works only as 2D, no one will want to play a AAA China-set game with a female protagonist and so on. If it fails, they can say that people don't care for the period.

Sushiglutton
04-05-2015, 09:08 PM
I really like the artstyle of all three. Ofc they are cliché, that is the point. It's cool how the blood effects look like paint. The gameplay is similar to MotN, but not totally convinced of it yet. I'm also a bit worried about:

Otherwise, the side-scrolling experience is heavily set-dressed in familiar Assassin's Creed style, with high buildings to leap off of, chests to pilfer and animus shards to collect.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015-03-27-assassins-creed-chronicles-now-a-three-part-series-set-in-china-india-russia

Shahkulu101
04-05-2015, 09:20 PM
Gotta get dem pointless collectibles!

Sushiglutton
04-05-2015, 09:25 PM
Gotta get dem pointless collectibles!

Yes, the Robot which succeeded Patrice has been programmed to add a certain density of collectibles to all products.

Shahkulu101
04-05-2015, 09:36 PM
Yes, the Robot which succeeded Patrice has been programmed to add a certain density of collectibles to all products.

Come now Patrice isn't Jesus, excessive collectibles started with AC2. Granted they weren't as visible but still.

That's another weird thing. Why are supposed 'secrets' shown on the map? Finding a chest yourself would be more rewarding - instead you're compelled to hoover them up because they're cluttering the map.

Farlander1991
04-05-2015, 09:42 PM
excessive collectibles started with AC2.

So 420 flags of AC1 wasn't excessive? :p

Namikaze_17
04-05-2015, 09:47 PM
Damn, is it a curse to say I'm looking forward to it?

Shahkulu101
04-05-2015, 09:52 PM
So 420 flags of AC1 wasn't excessive? :p

Oh damn, always forget about those - mainly because I never tried to get them.

It's ironic that he put them in as a joke ****ging off excessive collectables in games and then made AC2 full of them - bit hypocritical.

Farlander1991
04-05-2015, 10:01 PM
Oh damn, always forget about those - mainly because I never tried to get them.

It's ironic that he put them in as a joke ****ging off excessive collectables in games and then made AC2 full of them - bit hypocritical.

I collected every single one of them on my first playthrough expecting some sort of cool bonus or reward... and I was playing on PC, so I didn't even get an achievement or **** like that. :/

But yeah. After I learned that they were added in AC1 ironically, my first thought was, 'that's not how you use irony'. Real irony is that the collectible trope is played straight in AC2, although granted, in AC2 at least you can get maps for all chests, while the feathers, well, there's "only" 100 of them...

Like, if he was against collectibles, then he shouldn't have had included them in the first place....

But I think the problem with AC collectibles is not that they're there, but it's that you have to get ALL of them for a 100% completion. That's ********. If you add collectibles, the point should be 'mini-goals on the way to your main goal', not 'specifically hunt for them'.

LoyalACFan
04-06-2015, 12:04 AM
Ubsoft made eurocentric games because of imaturish treads like ''connors have potato face'' and critics that says that connors is boring expecting that everyone have to be a ezio clone.

I'm including AC3 and its offspring in the "eurocentric" group as well, you know. It was set in a British colony, it starred British characters, and used British technology. Aside from native cities/settlements (which weren't really shown much at all TBH) American cities were just an offshoot of Europe at that time.

I think since Ubisoft basically said that AC could go for a while, no one should really complain about settings being "wasted". They're bound to run out of conventional settings and give the main games exotic settings like China and India. So unless Ubisoft goes bankrupt soon, i'm not worried. Looking Forward to Chronicles. Love the art style.

It's not that they're being "wasted" exactly, it just makes me worry that they're going to bleed 18th/19th-century Europe dry (the same way they did colonial America) before they move on to something more unique on the AAA front.

Megas_Doux
04-06-2015, 02:17 AM
Come now Patrice isn't Jesus, excessive collectibles started with AC2. Granted they weren't as visible but still.

That's another weird thing. Why are supposed 'secrets' shown on the map? Finding a chest yourself would be more rewarding - instead you're compelled to hoover them up because they're cluttering the map.

There are in fact more than 300 chests in AC II. The trick is that you need to buy the maps to make them visible on the display and you have several locations to distribute them.......

RA503
04-06-2015, 02:58 AM
say that the pointless flags of ac 1 is a criticism is the same thing to says that unity's bugs is a criticism to rushed games,the guys need a jesus someone to sit in the lap and choose patrice,like resident evil fans with shinji mikami.look forward to him win the nobel price.

I looking forward to the animus fragments,hope they unlock something mind blowing like in rogue.and this game have modern day intel.

LoyalACFan
04-06-2015, 04:25 AM
There are in fact more than 300 chests in AC II. The trick is that you need to buy the maps to make them visible on the display and you have several locations to distribute them.......

Yeah, AC2's chests were just as pointless, but since they weren't as in-your-face as the later games' collectibles, they felt more innocuous. You could hunt them, or you could ignore them. They weren't really presented as an obstacle to completion. But honestly this is probably just a symptom of 100% sync becoming more of a "thing" from ACB onward. In the first two games, synchronization was just a plot device, not really an end goal for the player.

SixKeys
04-06-2015, 07:39 AM
I collected every single one of them on my first playthrough expecting some sort of cool bonus or reward... and I was playing on PC, so I didn't even get an achievement or **** like that. :/

What better way to make an ironic statement about the pointlessness of collectibles other than making it entirely pointless to collect them? If there HAD been an achievement involved, even if it said something sarcastic like "Achievement Unlocked: No-Lifer", achievement hunters would still hunt for it just because it's an achievement. Just like there are people who hunt for the most ridiculous Stanley Parable achievements like "Play the game for an entire day on a Tuesday". THAT'S missing the point of irony. If you want to make a statement about how pointless it is to waste time on collectibles, make them literally pointless.

pirate1802
04-06-2015, 08:54 AM
I'm actually more excited about Chronicles than Victory. Because in Victory, I can already smell a visually impressive, atmospheric game with gameplay suitable for a child yet unborn and bloated with unwanted collectibles, uninspired sidequests and last but least, millions of bugs. In other words, the standard fare AAA game. The phrase design by checklist comes to mind when I think of last year's AC games. In Chronicles, it atleast seems they are atleast somewhat interested in creating a genuine experience rather than mechanically coming up with blockbuster features to be put in their games, sitting in a boardroom meeting and looking at their research data fanatically. I crave for that bit of genuine passion that used to be once, in AC games. The fact that these games have almost nothing riding on them (pun not intended ffs), only means that the devs can experiment and let their hearts sing, something they dare not do in the main games. It's a good thing, for a game to be small and ignorable, these days it seems. If one looks at the small-scale games Ubi has released over the past few years they all have been excellent. Valiant Hearts, Child of Light, CoJ Gunslinger.. while the main AAA games except for Farcry have had the diametrically opposite results.

However, having seen the gameplay demos, I'm apprehensive about the AI. MotN's AI was superb and alert. While here, the soldiers seem to be recruited exclusively from people afflicted with myopia. While they stand and chat, you can move around them, stand behind them, monkey over their heads and they won't notice. Hell, Shao Jun might do a strip dance before two talking soldiers and they won't bat an eyelid. I understand this is an intended feature, but very disappointing for me, and is putting a lid on my hype jar. Let's see how it looks like once it's out.

But on the other hand, I can't shake the nagging feeling that they're doing it mostly to appease fans who have been asking for more female/minority characters and more diverse locales, without really making any significant changes to the core of the franchise. It's easier to be more creative on a smaller, low-risk DLC than a core game, but creativity is what the core games are starving for..

This used to unsettle me, but doesn't tick me off anymore because I had accepted it long ago. Ubisoft is like that superstitious old hag who always removes her left shoe first and cancels journeys if someone sneezes. They would do these token gestures so that they can say, as you said, hey look! female character, hey look! a noneuropean character! Aren't we just diverse? ..all the while maintaining the winning formula in their core games, too afraid of the slightest bit of change. Once I accepted this, it has stopped bothering me

Farlander1991
04-06-2015, 10:40 AM
What better way to make an ironic statement about the pointlessness of collectibles other than making it entirely pointless to collect them?

I guess, but when there's an existing trope of, 'collect stuff = get some cool reward', people don't expect the collectibles to be actually fully pointless.
But, anyway, I just generally think that if you disagree with the nature of collectibles, you should either:
a) don't ****ing use them
b) make them actually matter, fix the problem

The whole 'irony' angle is ********.

If there HAD been an achievement involved, even if it said something sarcastic like "Achievement Unlocked: No-Lifer", achievement hunters would still hunt for it just because it's an achievement.

The problem is, there ARE achievements involved with flags in AC1. Only on XBox (PS didn't have trophies back then), but still.

Defalt221
04-06-2015, 11:18 AM
Off topic but.. what is this?? :http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/1059977-%EF%BC%B0%EF%BC%A1%EF%BC%A2%EF%BC%98%EF%BC%98%EF%B C%A3%EF%BC%AF%EF%BC%AD%E3%83%95%EB%B0%94%EC%B9%B4% EB%9D%BC%EC%82%AC%EC%9D%B4%ED%8A%B8

Anykeyer
04-06-2015, 12:16 PM
If you want to make a statement about how pointless it is to waste time on collectibles, make them literally pointless.

Flags in AC1 arent pointless, they act as health potions. You dont normally consume all potions beforehand, do you? :p

BananaBlighter
04-06-2015, 02:34 PM
What I think? I feel these settings are big and should have been used in full games, especially India. I wanted to ride elephants...I'm very sad and feel that these settings were wasted, not that Ubi are going to run out of settings, but these, in my opinion, had more potential than others. Oh well, right not I'm hyped for Victory even if there's been no news so yeah, I don't really mind.

LatinaC09
04-06-2015, 07:11 PM
Yeah, AC2's chests were just as pointless, but since they weren't as in-your-face as the later games' collectibles, they felt more innocuous. You could hunt them, or you could ignore them. They weren't really presented as an obstacle to completion. But honestly this is probably just a symptom of 100% sync becoming more of a "thing" from ACB onward. In the first two games, synchronization was just a plot device, not really an end goal for the player.

I liked that so much better, I miss that from the first two games. I don't generally care about syncing, however I do care about getting the Platinum trophy. The full sync is such a POA. Oh well, guess that's something that will never change.

LoyalACFan
04-06-2015, 09:31 PM
I liked that so much better, I miss that from the first two games. I don't generally care about syncing, however I do care about getting the Platinum trophy. The full sync is such a POA. Oh well, guess that's something that will never change.

Yeah, same. If I really love a game I usually try to get the platinum just for the hell of it, but I'm not going to go super out of my way to do it. I still don't have Brotherhood's or Unity's, and I don't plan to try for them.

SixKeys
04-07-2015, 05:20 AM
Full sync doesn't even have a story purpose in the games anymore. As much as introducing it in the Desmond saga may have been for the detriment of the series (turning an immersive experience into a collect-a-thon), at least they justified it by saying Desmond couldn't fully absorb all the information he needed to become the best assassin there ever was unless he fully synched with his ancestor. Now, we're playing as ourselves and nobody in the games has told us we're training to become an assassin, nor that we are absorbing any kind of skills from the people whose lives we follow. So what's the point of full sync anymore? Why does Random Abstergo Employee #673 care about fully syncing with someone who wasn't even their direct ancestor?

HiddenKiller612
04-07-2015, 05:59 AM
My thoughts? I like it... I dig the different art styles, I like the change of pace... I think the chronicles could bring in different fans, who might not otherwise play the games. It's a good move by Ubisoft. I'll definitely pick up the chronicles at some point. My only complaint is last gen isn't getting them... These games aren't technical marvels, they aren't large open world games with mechanics that would overwhelm older hardware, and I can't see why the graphics would be an issue either. There would be plenty of money to be made if these games went to past gen as well as current... but that is Ubi's call...

Farlander1991
04-07-2015, 11:35 AM
Full sync doesn't even have a story purpose in the games anymore. As much as introducing it in the Desmond saga may have been for the detriment of the series (turning an immersive experience into a collect-a-thon), at least they justified it by saying Desmond couldn't fully absorb all the information he needed to become the best assassin there ever was unless he fully synched with his ancestor. Now, we're playing as ourselves and nobody in the games has told us we're training to become an assassin, nor that we are absorbing any kind of skills from the people whose lives we follow. So what's the point of full sync anymore? Why does Random Abstergo Employee #673 care about fully syncing with someone who wasn't even their direct ancestor?

That's a very good point.

Full synch should provide something special, like a whole mission that provides some sort of special information, or knowledge.

Think Cristina Memories from ACB (which didn't require total full synch, but still required to sync up quite a bit) or the France memories in Rogue (which are mandatory in Rogue's case, but could be used for other purposes). Not necessarily in how those missions are designed, but in principle.

As you synch up you get some information bit by bit, and then with full synch you get the full memory that, preferably, wows you with what was shown there. Also easier to provide narratvie justification since that info could be something that people in the modern day would want to know.

SixKeys
04-07-2015, 02:12 PM
That's a very good point.

Full synch should provide something special, like a whole mission that provides some sort of special information, or knowledge.

Think Cristina Memories from ACB (which didn't require total full synch, but still required to sync up quite a bit) or the France memories in Rogue (which are mandatory in Rogue's case, but could be used for other purposes). Not necessarily in how those missions are designed, but in principle.

As you synch up you get some information bit by bit, and then with full synch you get the full memory that, preferably, wows you with what was shown there. Also easier to provide narratvie justification since that info could be something that people in the modern day would want to know.

Exactly. It's kind of baffling to me that they abandoned the "repressed memories" idea after ACB. It worked so well, and was a great reward to pursue.

Sushiglutton
04-07-2015, 03:03 PM

Ofc not, Jesus was just a man who died a couple of thousand years ago. Patrice is the real Messiah!

And I grant you he perhaps wasn't that much against pointless collectibles :p

ze_topazio
04-07-2015, 03:17 PM
Patrice is Buddha.

Shahkulu101
04-07-2015, 04:04 PM
Ashraf is Moh --

Oh wait perhaps I shouldn't say that...

ze_topazio
04-07-2015, 04:11 PM
Mohsen Makhmalbaf?

VestigialLlama4
04-07-2015, 04:21 PM
Mohsen Makhmalbaf?

If only. That's a great film-maker.

RA503
04-07-2015, 04:27 PM
Ashraf is Moh --

Oh wait perhaps I shouldn't say that...

I think to make a joke like that but happly I hold myself before...

Shahkulu101
04-07-2015, 04:44 PM
It's okay, I'm brown I meet the criteria needed to make that specific joke... :rolleyes: