PDA

View Full Version : can't bring down console

Son_of_Wolf
06-13-2004, 02:33 PM
~ doesn't work in single player or multiplayer. i've tried a usb keyboard and a regular one. the tilde key works in all other games for console so i have no idea what the prob is. please please help

kthx

Son_of_Wolf
06-13-2004, 02:33 PM
~ doesn't work in single player or multiplayer. i've tried a usb keyboard and a regular one. the tilde key works in all other games for console so i have no idea what the prob is. please please help

kthx

Son_of_Wolf
06-14-2004, 11:11 AM
no one?

http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

fishlungs
06-14-2004, 11:16 AM
try the key next to '1' and above 'Tab' instead, not escape, but the one below... top left of your Keyboard, it types this " ` "

C'mon, let's go drink 'til we can't feel feelings anymore.

Son_of_Wolf
06-14-2004, 01:35 PM
not to be a smartass or nothin.. i appreciate the suggestion.. but umm what key did u think i was talking abo0t?

Ru.
06-14-2004, 03:17 PM
You wrote '~' which is not the right key.

fishlungs wrote '`' which is the right key.

I have no idea which key you were thinking about, only the key you typed.

Care to enlighten us? http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Son_of_Wolf
06-14-2004, 04:19 PM
i also wrote the word "tilde" witch is what the key is called. and if u hit shift and ` u get ~ just a little easier to see..

Son_of_Wolf
06-14-2004, 11:53 PM
ok aside from the nit picking.. still no help huh? i posted this stuff when the game was first realeased and got no help.. i find it hard to belive that i'm the only player out there that has this prob. i'm a hard core mp gamer and if u guys play online like me u know how important the console is..

come on peeps help a brotha out!

Ru.
06-15-2004, 12:40 AM
I'm afraid it just works for me (no help, I know).

And also I was commenting on a UK layout keyboard, where the '~' key is a shifted '#' key (above right-hand shift key), and the '' key is a shifted '`' one (above tab key, left hand side).

H8Ball (PC Engineer)
06-15-2004, 09:10 AM
Maybe you have Far Cry's "toggle console" commmand inadvertantly "bound" to a different key than usual?

Easiest way to determine WHICH key is to hit 'em ALL one by one till the console drops! Should only take you a minute or two...

Hope this helps,

HateBall

Son_of_Wolf
06-15-2004, 02:55 PM
tried that months ago.. does anyone know what the command is to bind a key to consolse in my cfg? i love the game but the cfg is the dumbest **** i've ever seen.. everything is in there like 5 times.. and i don't see a key bound to console anywere in the cfg and its not like i can do it in the menu cause theres no option for it. someone must know how to edit this ******ed cfg..

Ru.
06-15-2004, 03:07 PM
Have you tried re-installing the game?

I've looked in the cfg files etc., and I can't find anything relating to the console or the keypress I use to get it; sorry...

Son_of_Wolf
06-15-2004, 08:34 PM
yes reinstalled a few times.. it has to be some kind of conflict. i've installed on my dads computer and console works fine. i know something is wronf but like i said earlier i've tried a usb keyboard and a ps2 keyboard and neother is a go. makes no sence to me. i've even formatted and and reinstalled and same thing.

Son_of_Wolf
06-17-2004, 03:27 PM
bump

H8Ball (PC Engineer)
06-18-2004, 06:55 PM
Yep. I've searched through the CFG and also the LUA files and I can't find ANY mention of "console". It's looking increasingly likely that the tilde key is "hard-coded" to open/close the console.

However, if Options > Controls ALLOWS you to bind tilde to some other function, you'll LOSE console access until you UN-bind that function. I haven't tested this yet but I'll let you know what happens when I do.

HateBall (PC Engineer)
--------------------------------------------------------
Engineer's Golden Rule: If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

Son_of_Wolf
06-19-2004, 02:21 PM
i know i haven't bound anything to tilde, but i just tried to in the options screen and it wouldn't let me. now if u are able to bind a key to tilde then i know its a keyboard problem, even tho i've tried 2 different ones

Son_of_Wolf
06-20-2004, 11:22 AM
i tried a 3rd keyboard and still the same thing. i don't get it atall..

Son_of_Wolf
06-21-2004, 03:23 PM
hateball any info for me?

Son_of_Wolf
06-24-2004, 12:38 AM
bump

sry i refuse to let this thread die

Son_of_Wolf
06-26-2004, 12:44 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Son_of_Wolf:
bump

sry i refuse to let this thread die<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

again, sorry to spam but..

HouseOfPancakes
06-26-2004, 03:03 PM
hey son of wolf I have the same exact problem tilde key does not work for me or any other key its really pissing me off

Son_of_Wolf
06-26-2004, 10:12 PM
well atleast i'm not the only one http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

ripperhead
08-29-2005, 09:55 PM
No cuz you are not the only one. I am having the exact same problem, and i also have tried numerous keyboards, installs, patches, drivers, and asked everyone i know. the bad thing is that before i added a couple of new hdd's and reinstalled everything, it worked just fine. Go figure???Maybe someone has a answer and will eventually see this thread. But after all the googling I'm starting to think that there is a gremlin in the machine. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/35.gif

fabulouscoops
08-29-2005, 10:35 PM
Since you can type a tilde in this thread its not the keyboard. The only thing I can think of is that the key is bound to another function by some other program running in the background. or its being used by a macro in windows or something.

puja21
03-26-2006, 11:16 AM
same problem here- found this thread googling. i have tried numerous keyboards and all the other solutions everyone has tried. reinstalled, checked & rechecked the patches. nothing. this thread must go on. there are no "random" problems. gotta be a solution

ripperhead
03-29-2006, 09:10 PM
Hello Puja,
I should have came back and posted the fix to this problem, but after the hair pulling and the head-aches, after figuring out the problem, I got tied up playing the game and never made it back, until I received the notice from your post...so here goes and I hope this will help you and many others having the same problem.

The Problem ended up being patches and updates for XP that I was downloading before installing any software. So after figuring out it was in the patches, I had to figure out which ones and I done this by downloading one at a time after a clean install with XP and Farcry being the only software installed, until I could no longer access the console..

Some of these may no longer be a problem since some where included in Roll-Up 2 updates.

Here are the updates and the numbers from MS:

-Update Roll-Up 1 for eHome Infrared Receiver for Windows XP MCE 2005 (KB888795)

-Update for Windows XP 1.3MB
Files and settings Transfer Wizard for 32bit to 64bit. (KB896344)

If you are using either one of these patches with either XP Pro or XP MCE 2005, then you will lose use of your console.
To fix this--perform a clean install of XP, install FarCry and make sure your console will work (I am almost positive it will), then update XP using custom updating and not express updating, make sure that these 2 updates are not downloaded or installed, the infrared receiver update made no difference in my machines, and I have had no need for the transfer wizard because of not using XP64,
All other updates cause no problems and if you do not use these 2 updates then your console will work, Not only with FarCry but also with other games that use the tilde to access the console.
Best Wishes and I hope this helps...Bobby Lester
Southwest Virginia

paulie506
03-30-2006, 10:33 AM
I also had the problem of no console and this works! I only uninstalled those two updates that are listed above and now I have a console. Thank you.

ripperhead
04-04-2006, 01:11 PM
You're welcome paulie, Glad, I could help... And your idea of just uninstalling the patches is much better than a clean install, I should have suggested that, but I had not tried doing it that way, and that should really be easier for everyone. So I am glad to hear that will work. Take care.

puja21
04-15-2007, 06:30 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Some of these may no longer be a problem since some where included in Roll-Up 2 updates.

Here are the updates and the numbers from MS:

-Update Roll-Up 1 for eHome Infrared Receiver for Windows XP MCE 2005 (KB888795)

Files and settings Transfer Wizard for 32bit to 64bit. (KB896344)

If you are using either one of these patches with either XP Pro or XP MCE 2005, then you will lose use of your console.
To fix this--perform a clean install of XP, install FarCry and make sure your console will work (I am almost positive it will), then update XP using custom updating and not express updating, make sure that these 2 updates are not downloaded or installed, the infrared receiver update made no difference in my machines, and I have had no need for the transfer wizard because of not using XP64,
All other updates cause no problems and if you do not use these 2 updates then your console will work, Not only with FarCry but also with other games that use the tilde to access the console.
Best Wishes and I hope this helps...Bobby Lester </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

wow-- after 1+ year i decided to revisit this problem & boom there is the answer. unfortunately, I NEED the infared receiver because my main keyboard for my homemade media center PC is the MS infared keyboard/remote.

does anyone know if there is an alt solution? or if any new updates have from windows since rollup2 have fixed this?? (btw console still didnt work with rollup2 as ripperhead hoped)

sooooooo annoying

ripperhead
04-17-2007, 01:17 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">does anyone know if there is an alt solution? or if any new updates have from windows since rollup2 have fixed this?? (btw console still didnt work with rollup2 as ripperhead hoped)

sooooooo annoying </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Puja21,
Exactly what did you try? I didn't mean that Roll-up 2,was the cause of the problem...
If you still have not got a fix then reply back and I will explain were your problem may be, and how to fix-it...

puja21
04-25-2007, 08:01 PM
although i have tried many reinstalls & diff keyboads, i am not able to even attempt the fix you described;

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">-Update Roll-Up 1 for eHome Infrared Receiver for Windows XP MCE 2005 (KB888795)

Files and settings Transfer Wizard for 32bit to 64bit. (KB896344) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

^i dont have either of these patch #s listed in my add/remove program windows updates... i assume b/c MediaCenter Rollup 2 (which i do have installed) would have them both integrated within it.

so is there still a fix for me?

ripperhead
04-26-2007, 10:58 PM
hey puja21, I may not have an answer for you then, but are you sure that "KB888795" is not on your rig... I just completed to new builds and a reformat and clean install of my machine, 2 of these were XP MCE2005 & the other was XP Pro and they all had the same problem with this patch and Far Cry or any game that has a dev console to bring down with "~"...

When you opened your "control panel" and went to "Add or Remove Programs"--&gt; At the top of the window there needs to be a tick in the check-box of "Show updates" if the tick is in the box in the "Change or Remove Programs" window, scroll down and check real good for KB888795, if it is there, then remove it, reboot and you should be good to go, I thought at the time of my 1st post that KB896344 was part of the problem, but it wasn't...
I hope this helps... but if it doesn't let me know and I will do what ever else I can to help you track down and fix the problem,

puja21
04-27-2007, 10:42 PM
on closer inspection, it is there but is titled "Hotfix for Windows XP," rather than what you refered to it as in a post above:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">-Update Roll-Up 1 for eHome Infrared Receiver for Windows XP MCE 2005 (KB888795) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

However, are you sure I can still use the eHome Infared Receiver w/o patch KB888795? (i ask as this my only keyboard & remote-- i dont even have a USB keyboard @ my apt here to fix anything if it goes down for some reason)

EDIT:
In hindsight, this was reaaaally stupid of me to attempt w/o at least making an Acronis Disk image restore point. b/c just as common sense/my gut told me, the MS remote keyboard will not function w/o that patch, I now can no longer use my media center build until i go out and track down a USB keyboard which will let me re-install said patch (in the meantime: stone age laptop for me!!)

so for anyone else looking to use this fix, it removes functionality for the MS brand MediaCenter remote/wireless keyboard bundle

ripperhead
04-28-2007, 09:54 PM
Sorry to hear about that Puja, It must be a problem with the MS Keyboard then, I had seen it used many times, but it was always with Logitech wireless or wired keyboards. And the MS TV remote and receiver or ATI remote and never had a problem, so I guess we know what the patch is for now.. Again I hate that it caused you more problems http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/1072.gif
Can you not borrow, or go out and get a cheap wired keyboard to get you back up and running?

puja21
05-30-2007, 02:24 PM
ah dont worry about it-- i had acronis disc image to bail me out (turns out i had some other system problems warranting a wipe and re-image anyways)

turns out removing the update does fix the problem- but this patch also enables the MS infared keyboard, so im just screwed. def cant see either MS or Ubi caring about this situation at all.

so i'll stick to mods & go w/o any single player levels (or cheats)

ghettolag
05-30-2007, 07:32 PM
Me too with the console. I don't have that hotfix installed (must be something else for me), so uninstalling that isn't an option.

So here's my request: -devmode works fine, as evidenced by the automatic cheats o and p working (give ammo and give all weapons) but still the console refuses to drop down.

Can i request some smart programmer type to make a modified DevMode.lua file with configurable key bindings, particularly for HDR? I've tried doing it myself, but have only borked up my DevMode.lua file so it won't even give me the cheats anymore. D'oh!

Oh... Core 2 Duo @ 3.0GHz on Gigabyte GA-965P, Radeon x1950xt, 2Gig memory, XP Pro, etc.

jwill58
05-30-2007, 10:37 PM
I had this same problem-all I do is unplug my IR box USB plug from the back of my PC.Presto ! Welcome back CONSOLE ! When I want to use my Media Center remote and watch TV-I just plug the USB back into the PC. Yes its a bit of trouble-but I still have MCE and CONSOLE in FarCry. Hope this helps !