PDA

View Full Version : Do you think Assassin's Creed could lessons from other franchises?

UKassassinsfan
04-03-2015, 12:22 AM
So it's discussion thread, I recently replayed a lot of old final fantasy games and it's so obvious why these games are classics, there is so much story and interestings characters, whilst I regard a few of the AC games as some of my favourite games I can't help but feel the direction the series is taking and has been on is faltering. With an FF game I can spend 40 hours doing side quests and exploring without having finished the story and my investment in the story and characters is much larger with these games, do you guys agree? I imagine some of yoh don't like FF which is fine but I wanna hear?

Fatal-Feit
04-03-2015, 12:42 AM
Having been a long time fan of JRPGs since the PS1 era, I honestly don't want AC to learn anything from their stories. The narrative is long, but it's full of cliches and one-dimensional characters. The stories aim to be more rhetorical and convoluted than anything else. Like, you LOVE the setting, the setup, the character designs, the aesthetics, but that's really it. Yeah, you spend more time w/ the characters and its story, but it tends to be pretentious and lack depth. I mean, you play a few JRPGs and you've seen it all. I don't how to describe it. JRPGs stories are just... eh, an escape. A reality that shapes itself to your liking but it lacks any real quality. Every now and then, there's one that tries to go beyond that, but it still falls short w/ cheesy dialog and stuff. Just my opinion, of course.

But other than narrative, I do think AC can learn a lot from RPGs. I like to bring up the .Hack franchise when talking about MD. I personally would like it if they gave us .Hack's ver of MD where you can browse the fictional internet, watch videos, read up on occurrences and news, chat w/ other AC characters via email, and stuff like that. Kind of like AC Initiates/MP, somewhat, except it's connected IN the game and doesn't require the interwebs.

UKassassinsfan
04-03-2015, 01:22 AM
I agree with you but having played them recently I find myself invested not only in the main story but the characters personal story as it unfolds, and whilst FF can be cliché AC is just as bad in most cases. However I find myself hardly invested in character stories in AC, I mean Arno and Elise was personally for me very boring.
I like the idea of hacking, also.
I would personally love to see a longer story that lasts for over 30 hours, I mean it would give us chance to really get into the period as well as the story, when I play AC I feel it's gone a couple days after I buy it and then I hardly wanna go back for ages

Megas_Doux
04-03-2015, 01:22 AM
Not releasing games annually and using them as tech demos would be a PRETTY GOOD start......

Matknapers18
04-03-2015, 01:36 AM
I think that AC Unity in particular could have learned a few lessons from Shadow of Mordor. These lessons mostly lie in the stealth department, a component of Mordor that was surprisingly entertaining and well executed in my opinion. The stealth in Mordor was just incredibly easy to operate as oppose to Unity in which the controls and navigation were really quite clunky and awkward. Just trying to get out of cover in Unity was a chore. It should not be like this. Considering how stealth is such a 'core element in the franchise' it should be one of the most enjoyable parts of the game. Yet, everything just felt wrong. One thing that specifically got on my nerves was the pace of Arno's crouched movement. I recall being detected by guards, purely due to the fact that Arno would take so long moving up stairs or across a corridor. On the other hand Mordor didn't have this problem. You had the the ability to perform your standard crouch movement, and then a faster, almost running, crouched navigation for quickly manoeuvring around the area whilst remain un-detected. Getting in and out of cover was easy and seamless, no need to press a button. Having the ability to quickly move around your enemies in the shadows and foliage was really nice.

Also, incredibly easy to attract and distract guards in Mordor. No issues with Cherry Bombs that don't actually work. People need to stop defending Cherry Bombs. They were so impractical, and problematic just for trying to lure a guard over. I shouldn't have to throw a freaking bomb six feet behind me, whilst in cover, to attract a guard. Its ludicrous. I would have been happier if they just gave us rocks to throw. Mordor did it right in my opinion. We had the option of luring and distracting individual enemies AND the option of distracting a group of enemies. Best of both worlds.

Altair1789
04-03-2015, 01:46 AM
Bethesda Softworks could teach Ubisoft A LOT

Shahkulu101
04-03-2015, 01:55 AM
Yes, from their own franchises no less.

Stealth in AC sucks when compared to Far Cry, Splinter Cell, Watch Dogs.

dxsxhxcx
04-03-2015, 02:22 AM

any company that doesn't annualize its franchises could teach Ubisoft a lot... :p

Shahkulu101
04-03-2015, 02:25 AM

Like how to make even buggier games.

#zing

Mr.Black24
04-03-2015, 03:27 AM
But other than narrative, I do think AC can learn a lot from RPGs. I like to bring up the .Hack franchise when talking about MD. I personally would like it if they gave us .Hack's ver of MD where you can browse the fictional internet, watch videos, read up on occurrences and news, chat w/ other AC characters via email, and stuff like that. Kind of like AC Initiates/MP, somewhat, except it's connected IN the game and doesn't require the interwebs. Its like that skill tree they introduced in Unity! I liked that, building up yourself into doing more things, made me feel like growing from a full fledged Assassin to a top notched experienced Master Assassin. That is something that they should keep going with, open a new but basic moveset, and then move up to more complex movements. Kind of like how one learns to use a heavy weapon in the beginning, then they can learn more complex heavy weapon movement, such as a heavy blow, or perhaps after learning the use of heavy weapons, the player unlocks the ability to use it faster, since using these weapons should grow muscle, hence the easier use of the weapon.
Although they should never lock the ability to roll after a fall, and complex blending, such as sitting on benches! Like those two movements are the most basic components, something I'm positively sure that is covered in the beginning of Assassin training. Its incredibly annoying that I had to keep pressing the E button on my keyboard to initiate a roll.

I think that AC Unity in particular could have learned a few lessons from Shadow of Mordor. These lessons mostly lie in the stealth department, a component of Mordor that was surprisingly entertaining and well executed in my opinion. The stealth in Mordor was just incredibly easy to operate as oppose to Unity in which the controls and navigation were really quite clunky and awkward. Just trying to get out of cover in Unity was a chore. It should not be like this. Considering how stealth is such a 'core element in the franchise' it should be one of the most enjoyable parts of the game. Yet, everything just felt wrong. One thing that specifically got on my nerves was the pace of Arno's crouched movement. I recall being detected by guards, purely due to the fact that Arno would take so long moving up stairs or across a corridor. On the other hand Mordor didn't have this problem. You had the the ability to perform your standard crouch movement, and then a faster, almost running, crouched navigation for quickly manoeuvring around the area whilst remain un-detected. Getting in and out of cover was easy and seamless, no need to press a button. Having the ability to quickly move around your enemies in the shadows and foliage was really nice. Agreed that the movement was a bit clunky, like how sometimes I want Arno to one spot, but his sticky hands grab another thing. Although there is a pro to the slow movement of going up the stairs or across a corridor. Like for me, this saved me plenty of times from getting caught, since if I moved any faster, I would have been spotted. But it also add the fact that I added more stealth equipment on me, so I guess thats why I don't have much problems as you describe.

Also, incredibly easy to attract and distract guards in Mordor. No issues with Cherry Bombs that don't actually work. People need to stop defending Cherry Bombs. They were so impractical, and problematic just for trying to lure a guard over. I shouldn't have to throw a freaking bomb six feet behind me, whilst in cover, to attract a guard. Its ludicrous. I would have been happier if they just gave us rocks to throw. Mordor did it right in my opinion. We had the option of luring and distracting individual enemies AND the option of distracting a group of enemies. Best of both worlds. I hate the fact that firecrackers only work if you throw them in front of them, like one would think big noises and red flashes would cause them to go to that area of attention, but instead they stay put!

Like in Freedom Cry, the firecrackers worked just fine! But in Unity, a next gen game.....???

wvstolzing
04-03-2015, 10:03 AM
Considering that they learnt quite a bit from 'Mark of the Ninja' for the new Chronicles titles, they could 'learn' a lot from indie gems, (and slap the AC brand on their ideas -- hey, just sayin')

RACE THE SOLAR FLARE
An alternate timeline story: Desmond hasn't activated the 'eye', and the solar flare has reached earth, scorching its surface. We run away from the fire & destruction inside a solar-powered eagle-shaped (brand ID points +1) aircraft. Various powerups, etc. You can purchase -- 'hack', ahem -- mods with Helix points.

CAP
Initiate Gomez finds a First-Civ hat -- the 'Cap' -- which turns his universe from a 2d one, into a 3d one. You rotate the world'n'$ hit. Yeah.

INSIEME!
Remember the AC2 trophy you could get by beating someone with a broomstick? Some copycat, imagination-starved indie devs stole that idea, and made 'Dustforce'. It's time for AC to get the idea back. This is a skill-based platformer that takes place in San Gimignano: Glide from tower to tower, sweeping dust; your best times might show on Initiates.com