PDA

View Full Version : Why Ubisoft why?

wylemustafa
04-02-2015, 09:29 AM
Why is Ubisoft really ignoring the last-gen when it has more units than the next-gen. I obviously know that PS4 and XB1 are the future and are much more times better than the last-gen but simply ignoring the last-gen through which you are now on the top of the hill is simply "mean". Firstly I loved Ubisoft but then I realized that EA is much more caring for the gamers! Sorry to say but I completely hate Ubisoft now as it is clearly visible that all the game is of money making. I don't really know what the future plans of Ubisoft are but I am really sure that all the games will come similar to black flag or rogue just to generate funds for investing in the next-gen.

What do you guys think?

I am very clear that Xbox 360 and PS3 have spent a long time but it really has more potential.

waynedavies89
04-02-2015, 12:19 PM
Last year, last-gen got AC Rogue, which is a solid experience and an integral point in the current storyline. More than Unity is at this point anyway. Assassin's Creed has been with the last-gen systems for nearly a decade. It had a very good run, but with the limitations of old hardware, its time to move on. Sooner rather than later.

Titles like GTAV and The Last of US, even Black Flag and Rogue, have pushed last-gen hardware to the limit and there is only so much you can do with an incredibility small pool of memory resources compared to current-gen. There are more last-gen units out there as you say, so it could be financially beneficial that Ubisoft continues to support last-gen for a few more years, but there will little to no major innovation. Games would be stripped of features, graphics and mechanics just have them running. If Rainbow 6: Siege was on last gen, for example, it won't have any where near the level of destructibility we've seen in the demo and livestreams.

Is Ubisoft ignoring last-gen? No, games like AC Rogue and Valiant Hearts: The Great War are made and are fun to play. Ubisoft, as well many other developers and publishers, are just more focused on moving forward, using the better hardware to make better games. Do I think Xbox 360 and PS3 could have continued support? Ye sure, but the bar has pretty much been reached and only something like Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain has the pedigree to reached and maybe push the bar one last time.

Markaccus
04-02-2015, 12:29 PM
Last year, last-gen got AC Rogue, which is a solid experience and an integral point in the current storyline. More than Unity is at this point anyway. Assassin's Creed has been with the last-gen systems for nearly a decade. It had a very good run, but with the limitations of old hardware, its time to move on. Sooner rather than later.

Titles like GTAV and The Last of US, even Black Flag and Rogue, have pushed last-gen hardware to the limit and there is only so much you can do with an incredibility small pool of memory resources compared to current-gen. There are more last-gen units out there as you say, so it could be financially beneficial that Ubisoft continues to support last-gen for a few more years, but there will little to no major innovation. Games would be stripped of features, graphics and mechanics just have them running. If Rainbow 6: Siege was on last gen, for example, it won't have any where near the level of destructibility we've seen in the demo and livestreams.

Is Ubisoft ignoring last-gen? No, games like AC Rogue and Valiant Hearts: The Great War are made and are fun to play. Ubisoft, as well many other developers and publishers, are just more focused on moving forward, using the better hardware to make better games. Do I think Xbox 360 and PS3 could have continued support? Ye sure, but the bar has pretty much been reached and only something like Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain has the pedigree to reached and maybe push the bar one last time.

I agree with this. I think the latest last-gen games have pushed the systems to the limit. Cross-gen games kind of hold back on what the next-gen systems can do, so its not really viable (or even fair to next gen users) to make basically last-gen games with just a few extra features and slightly better graphics. Seperate games imo are the way to go. On a personal note, i thought that rogue was a bit disapointing. Kind of a Black Flag 'lite'. In a way it proved to me that ubi were really more interested in moving on, and i think the production of rogue might account for much of the Unity problems. Unity,as a dedicated next gen game, probably could have done with more resources pumped into it. I just started it last night, and the patch file was 6.5GIG!!! Thats a lot of repairs!

D.I.D.
04-02-2015, 01:00 PM
Why is Ubisoft really ignoring the last-gen when it has more units than the next-gen.

Firstly I loved Ubisoft but then I realized that EA is much more caring for the gamers! Sorry to say but I completely hate Ubisoft now as it is clearly visible that all the game is of money making.

These two statements don't make sense together. Surely if Ubisoft was really all about money-making at any cost, they'd be focussed on the last gen users since there are more of them? Instead, they invested a vast amount of money on Unity even though there was absolutely no chance it could sell as well as the biggest sellers among the old gen ACs.

I am very clear that Xbox 360 and PS3 have spent a long time but it really has more potential.

Sorry, but no, there is not more potential on PS3/X360. Those systems were creaking at the seams trying to run Black Flag and Rogue. They couldn't run Watch Dogs very well at all. Making games today on X360 and PS3 is possible, but not at the leading edge of AAA games.

melbye82
04-02-2015, 02:08 PM
Number of consoles does not matter if the console has been packed away and in a closet right now.

Shahkulu101
04-02-2015, 06:49 PM
I've been playing attention to sales figures - and surprisingly pretty much every game that was cross-gen has sold more on the PS4/XBONE. So the argument that they are dropping the biggest potential market is invalid.

Although I should add, that VGchartz may not be the most reliable source.

the_don7684
04-02-2015, 08:38 PM
that's like saying they need more flip phones..... Things move forward whether we are ready for them or not. The tech behind all this just keeps moving faster and faster. Have you heard the buzz around that this will be the last of the console gaming as the way we know it?

Fatal-Feit
04-02-2015, 09:22 PM
Last-gen already got Rogue. AC1-ACRO. That's more than 10 games. It's time to let the franchise evolve and not be held back by old hardware.

HDinHB
04-02-2015, 09:54 PM
I do wonder why the Chronicles games aren't available for last gen.

Fatal-Feit
04-02-2015, 10:42 PM
I do wonder why the Chronicles games aren't available for last gen.

Last-gen can't handle the graphics.

Altair1789
04-02-2015, 10:51 PM
While we're on the topic of "Why Ubisoft why", can a mod help me out? This site won't let me save my password, I've cleared history and all password preferences and it still doesn't work

cawatrooper9
04-02-2015, 10:51 PM
I seriously doubt that we'll get a last gen game this year...
But I wouldn't mind getting one. Besides, (and I don't want to instill any false hope in you) Rogue wasn't announced into August last year. There's plenty of time for Ubisoft to announce something, however unlikely it still is.

The_Kiwi_
04-03-2015, 12:26 AM
Last-gen can't handle the graphics.

I hope you're being facetious
The Vita could even run Chronicles

Weazur
04-03-2015, 01:13 PM
Last-gen should at least be getting Chronicles.

If they think a game with mobile-tier graphics is going to do outstanding just on next-gen, they're insane.

Sorrosyss
04-03-2015, 01:28 PM
I've had my PS3 for near 8 years, and a PS4 since launch. There seems to be so little on the PS4 as it is, so I really can't support more games on the older format. Gotta keep moving forward. :)

The_Kiwi_
04-03-2015, 02:35 PM
I've had my PS3 for near 8 years, and a PS4 since launch. There seems to be so little on the PS4 as it is, so I really can't support more games on the older format. Gotta keep moving forward. :)

But Chronicles could release on prev-gen without hindering the quality of the PS4 version one iota
And it's quite surprising it isn't going on the PS3 when it can clearly handle it
Ubisoft isn't one to pass on making money either
So it is an intriguing mystery

Weazur
04-03-2015, 04:56 PM
This might be getting my hopes up, but maybe they have something else planned for last-gen that hasn't been announced yet?

Defalt221
04-03-2015, 06:08 PM
Why is Ubisoft really ignoring the last-gen when it has more units than the next-gen. I obviously know that PS4 and XB1 are the future and are much more times better than the last-gen but simply ignoring the last-gen through which you are now on the top of the hill is simply "mean". Firstly I loved Ubisoft but then I realized that EA is much more caring for the gamers! Sorry to say but I completely hate Ubisoft now as it is clearly visible that all the game is of money making. I don't really know what the future plans of Ubisoft are but I am really sure that all the games will come similar to black flag or rogue just to generate funds for investing in the next-gen.

What do you guys think?

It could have more potential if the Anvil engine was solely built on PS3 hardware. It'd turn out as great as God Of War 3.

wylemustafa
04-05-2015, 04:34 PM
I am satisfied with all the comments but I don't think that AC Rogue was a good game, it was just another upgraded version of black flag. I really dont know why they added the naval gameplay in the game so much that makes it really opposite to the real assassin creed games. Unity was a really amazing game with an awesome gameplay
They could have created another game for x360 and ps3 with the same "gameplay style" [parkour, combat etc] of AC unity but with graphics that are limited to xbox 360 n ps3

And it would be called as real assassin creed game not a pirate one :)

D.I.D.
04-05-2015, 05:03 PM
I am satisfied with all the comments but I don't think that AC Rogue was a good game, it was just another upgraded version of black flag. I really dont know why they added the naval gameplay in the game so much that makes it really opposite to the real assassin creed games. Unity was a really amazing game with an awesome gameplay
They could have created another game for x360 and ps3 with the same "gameplay style" [parkour, combat etc] of AC unity but with graphics that are limited to xbox 360 n ps3

And it would be called as real assassin creed game not a pirate one :)

If they could do that, they would have done in the past before the new gen consoles were released.

There are strict limits to what a games machine can handle. It's not just about graphics, but all of that AI and animation too. The PS3 and X360 simply could not handle those numbers of characters with that depth of behaviours, or the kind of environments that make those elements enjoyable. Without that scale, you don't have a game that's like Unity at all.

All games of this standard have to be reduced somewhat from their original briefs, when it emerges that various things are not working or create too heavy a load to justify themselves. There's a tipping point in the lifecycle of a console, where a time of developers working into a performance overhead evaporates into a set of harder choices. The PS3 and X360 crossed that line a long time ago. Would you rather develop a product that will need a little trimming later in development, or one that's heavily compromised from start to finish?

Ubisoft already gave you a solution to this problem in order to ride out the last years of the previous generation. ACIII, ACIV, Freedom Cry and Rogue used naval combat and exploration brilliantly to give you a trade-off. They used it to provide innovation, a sense of wonder, and a genuinely tense and exciting kind of gameplay. Those games (plus Liberation) took you to sparsely populated locations in order to devote more resources to beautiful wild environments that could function as adventure playgrounds, adding some mystery and sometimes a bit of problem-solving. They did that as a kind of misdirection, because it would not have been possible to give you so much variety and honest content in an urban environment on those systems. You've got a collection of old gen games that are as good as any they could attempt to make in the future, and if replaying them is not enough then you'll need a new gen machine or a PC.

waynedavies89
04-05-2015, 05:04 PM
While we're on the topic of "Why Ubisoft why", can a mod help me out? This site won't let me save my password, I've cleared history and all password preferences and it still doesn't work

You mean when you type your login email and your password fill automatically? That's a browser issue man

phoenix-force411
04-05-2015, 05:51 PM
At best, Unity would run at 5-10 fps on last-gen. That game not optimized. They could learn something from Bioware. At least their games are well optimized. My crappy PC can run their games at higher settings.

D.I.D.
04-05-2015, 10:34 PM
At best, Unity would run at 5-10 fps on last-gen. That game not optimized. They could learn something from Bioware. At least their games are well optimized. My crappy PC can run their games at higher settings.

Bioware doesn't have a single game that comes anywhere close to the complexity of Unity. Aside from GTA V, I can't think of anything that approaches it. There are prettier games, sure, but the amount that's going on constantly in Unity to construct that world is phenomenal.

Unity is optimised. We can argue about whether it is well optimised, but anyone outside of the company is going to be clutching at straws to say that. We know very little about how the engine pulls off its tricks, but something very clever is going on in the crowd tech alone. You can see hints of what it might be in the way that models occasionally switch at the periphery. The engine is doing things that would be impossible by normal means, and the handling of whatever it is will get better over time (not just through Ubi's own improvements, but also manufacturer updates to the PS4 and XBO).