PDA

View Full Version : Graphics Card Help

JoseySilversmit
03-29-2015, 01:10 PM
I recently bought Unity and I find that my Asus GTX 650 TI Card just isn't cutting it so I am looking at the MATRIX-GTX980-P-4GD5. Will this card work with unity?

KmarkoPL
03-29-2015, 01:42 PM
You should be OK , I have Strix Asus GTX 980 , and the game runs fine .
Also what is your main CPU ?

Nemesysultima
03-29-2015, 01:55 PM
I recently bought Unity and I find that my Asus GTX 650 TI Card just isn't cutting it so I am looking at the MATRIX-GTX980-P-4GD5. Will this card work with unity?

Dude, your graphics card isn't the problem but its the game developers, they are the problem by having released an unfinished game full of glitches and problems. I'm starting to believe they just failed on this game as they stopped releasing patches and previous ones barely fixed it. Stop being demential blaming your pc rigs for the company's failure on this AC. i'm mad because i love this release much more than the previous ones considering it's an improvement in every level and back to the AC original concept, still not enough to justify its lack of quality. I'm disappointed along with 90% of the gamer population playing this.

FIX UNITY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

JoseySilversmit
03-29-2015, 08:48 PM
You should be OK , I have Strix Asus GTX 980 , and the game runs fine .
Also what is your main CPU ?

My CPU is AMD FX 8350 8 Core 4.0
Memory is Corsair 32GB
MB is ASUS M4A89 TD Pro

playlisting
03-30-2015, 01:46 AM
Not sure. The 980 is a good card that's for sure but you will get stuttering in Unity. Due to the PC port not being terribly well done the game uses unnecessary amounts of video memory. This video here (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4_IFRaqWZjo) proves that the game needs huge pools of memory to run smoothly. The Titan X that he is using has 12 gigs at its disposal, so with a 4GB card you will have to sacrifice the visuals quite a bit to get the memory usage low enough so that it will run smoothly.

strigoi1958
03-30-2015, 11:42 AM
It all depends on how sensible you are.... if you are rational and can think "This is just a game, it will not replicate real life 100% and every new AAA title has small trivial things that in no way affects gameplay and I do not have a mythical figure of FPS in my head" then you will really enjoy Unity it is an incredible leap forward visually and game wise. and a GTX 980 is way more than you need.

However if you are the kind of person who gets given a million dollars free and complains about the bundles not being lined up straight and some of the notes are wrinkled (some people on here fit in this category) then you will not enjoy Unity (or any game) because nothing in life will meet with your irrational set of standards.

I run a gtx970... it is not a "great" card, but I run Unity at ultra with FXAA... I have no idea what FPS I get because I'm a gamer, I'm only interested in gaming not little figures in the corner of the screen... so naturally I have enjoyed Unity to the full, I ignored the little bugs and glitches at the start and they were not what I call game breaking.... now I do not see anything except the hundreds of fantastic things in Unity although there may be 1 or 2 small things that some think are not up to their standards... AND I would point out that there are people playing this on a gtx650ti... admittedly on a resolution lower than I would enjoy but they are gamers and enjoying the game and to gamers.... THAT is all that matters

Anykeyer
03-30-2015, 01:23 PM
Yes

Not sure. The 980 is a good card that's for sure but you will get stuttering in Unity. Due to the PC port not being terribly well done the game uses unnecessary amounts of video memory. This video here (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4_IFRaqWZjo) proves that the game needs huge pools of memory to run smoothly. The Titan X that he is using has 12 gigs at its disposal, so with a 4GB card you will have to sacrifice the visuals quite a bit to get the memory usage low enough so that it will run smoothly.

Excuse you but its not true. It uses the ammount of VRAM it has to use due to the ammount of textures in this game (and this includes prebaked lighting which takes about half the size of this game).
Game is developed with 6GB of unified RAM being available on its target platform. Ubi could cut visuals in PC version so it would not take more than 4GB at any time but then PC players would whine they got worse visuals.
Unity doesnt really need more than 4GB as long as you dont enable MSAA 8x. Im playing with TXAA and it never stutters. 8x is unnecessary anyway, you can enable MFAA with 4x and effectively get the same (bad) result. Bad bc even "free" FXAA does a better job here, especially indoors.

KmarkoPL
03-30-2015, 01:25 PM
AND I would point out that there are people playing this on a gtx650ti... admittedly on a resolution lower than I would enjoy but they are gamers and enjoying the game and to gamers.... THAT is all that matters

Be for I got GTX 970 and later replaced it for GTX 980 , I been playing on MSI GTX 480 1.5gb Vram , I was able to get the game up to 1080p but was not nice to play , then cranked down the resolution to 720p all high , the game was playable ,
That way I got trough 10% of it with out any issues and I enjoyed .

Sesheenku
03-30-2015, 03:53 PM
Ubisoft seriously needs to hand their PC versions off to someone else to do. It's clear they couldn't make a decent one to save their lives.

Stop trying Ubisoft, give it to someone who knows what they're doing.

jeffies04
03-30-2015, 06:01 PM
I don't get very much stuttering on my EVGA 980 SC... It's actually really smooth. I've been really happy with the 980. I use FXAA for Unity, though.

strigoi1958
03-31-2015, 01:17 AM
Be for I got GTX 970 and later replaced it for GTX 980 , I been playing on MSI GTX 480 1.5gb Vram , I was able to get the game up to 1080p but was not nice to play , then cranked down the resolution to 720p all high , the game was playable ,
That way I got trough 10% of it with out any issues and I enjoyed .

I have total respect for you sir

REAL gamers just want to game... and they will find solutions in order to be able to play... I had a GTX480 and loved it :D and some of the guys I co-op with, have 5 series cards and 660's... respect to them as well.

Frag_Maniac
03-31-2015, 01:24 AM
I could accept Unity being so demanding if it weren't for the fact that it's performance on PC does not scale well at all to the settings you use, and it also lags at frame rates most AC games don't. Seems if you so much as dip below 60 FPS you're in the lag zone. At times I wonder if they intentionally gimped control response time on PC too.

playlisting
03-31-2015, 05:41 PM
Excuse you but its not true. It uses the ammount of VRAM it has to use due to the ammount of textures in this game (and this includes prebaked lighting which takes about half the size of this game).
Game is developed with 6GB of unified RAM being available on its target platform. Ubi could cut visuals in PC version so it would not take more than 4GB at any time but then PC players would whine they got worse visuals.
Unity doesnt really need more than 4GB as long as you dont enable MSAA 8x. Im playing with TXAA and it never stutters. 8x is unnecessary anyway, you can enable MFAA with 4x and effectively get the same (bad) result. Bad bc even "free" FXAA does a better job here, especially indoors.

The fact is that video memory usage doesn't scale properly with the settings used. In the video there is only a minor difference between 8x MSAA and anti aliasing disabled. The memory usage should have went down significantly after disabling AA, but it didn't. He did another test with the Titan X/980/780 on Watch Dogs and Far Cry 4 (both ported by the same studio that did Unity) and the 980 and 780 stutter because they don't have the mammoth memory pools of the Titan X. The only way to counter the game's inefficient memory utilisation is to have massive memory pools - something that the 980 along with most cards don't have, which results in the majority of users getting bad stuttering. There are numerous reports of stuttering with 980s, so just because you don't have it doesn't mean others don't either.

x___Luffy___x
03-31-2015, 05:55 PM
i have a 980 amp extreme edition and game runs fine on everything maxed out. 40-50 fps and it never stutters. no one can deny that its not a good port though.
but now i prefer to play on 2k dsr and with fxaa and game never drops below 40 fps.

Defalt221
04-03-2015, 06:15 PM
Dude, your graphics card isn't the problem but its the game developers, they are the problem by having released an unfinished game full of glitches and problems. I'm starting to believe they just failed on this game as they stopped releasing patches and previous ones barely fixed it. Stop being demential blaming your pc rigs for the company's failure on this AC. i'm mad because i love this release much more than the previous ones considering it's an improvement in every level and back to the AC original concept, still not enough to justify its lack of quality. I'm disappointed along with 90% of the gamer population playing this.

FIX UNITY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PC ports of Rogue and Unity are opposites to each other. Rogue is just as beautifully optimized for PC as badly optimized is Unity for PC. It's not your vdo card. It's the devs themselves who didn't optimize it well enough.

Anykeyer
04-04-2015, 10:29 PM
Unity's engine is in fact better optimised than the one used in Rogue. You just seem to fail at understanding what that means.

The fact is that video memory usage doesn't scale properly with the settings used. In the video there is only a minor difference between 8x MSAA and anti aliasing disabled. The memory usage should have went down significantly after disabling AA, but it didn't. He did another test with the Titan X/980/780 on Watch Dogs and Far Cry 4 (both ported by the same studio that did Unity) and the 980 and 780 stutter because they don't have the mammoth memory pools of the Titan X. The only way to counter the game's inefficient memory utilisation is to have massive memory pools - something that the 980 along with most cards don't have, which results in the majority of users getting bad stuttering. There are numerous reports of stuttering with 980s, so just because you don't have it doesn't mean others don't either.
First of all - VRAM management is done by driver, no DX game has direct control over how VRAM is used.
AA affects only frame buffer size, which (unless we use a very high resolution) takes a minority of VRAM. And the fact that nvidia put only 4GB while you need at least 6 just to reach current consoles capabiliy (and top games main development target) is not Ubisoft's fail by any stretch of imagination
I dont have any stuttering in WD with TXAA. 980 would most likely start to stutter at higher resolutions and crazy MSAA levels, but it should be enough for 1080p with 4x or lower AA.