PDA

View Full Version : Why I think they stopped numbers at Unity...

king-hailz
03-28-2015, 12:12 PM
I think the reason they didn't call Assassins Creed Unity 5, is because they would have actually called it Assassins Creed V since they have always used Roman Numerals, and this would have clashed with Assassins Creed Victory being called Assassins Creed V... its just confusion and this is why I believe they called it Assassins Creed Unity...

'♢'

pirate1802
03-28-2015, 12:17 PM
'♢'

king-hailz
03-28-2015, 01:18 PM
'♢'

Altair1789
03-28-2015, 05:22 PM
Assassin's Creed 20 sounds a lot worse than Assassin's Creed [insert corny word here]

HDinHB
03-28-2015, 11:04 PM
But if Unity was V then the next game would have been AC VIctory. It would have been perfect.

(Like Ubi marketing, we'll ignore Rogue.)

LoyalACFan
03-29-2015, 12:48 AM
Assassin's Creed 20 sounds a lot worse than Assassin's Creed [insert corny word here]

This. Dropping the numerals was simply easier than confronting the realization that they've released 13 retail AC games in 7 years. Nobody wants to see a game titled XIII-2 again.

RinoTheBouncer
03-29-2015, 12:55 AM
It may look better with future titles, but if they plan ahead, they can actually make beautiful-looking names with roman numerals, without the need to add a X-2 or XIII-2 or whatever. But I guess the main reason is to make sure that newcomers don't feel like they missed out a lot. When you see 'AC4', 'AC7', 'AC10', you kinda feel like you're starting halfway through, and missing out a lot. But when you see "Assassin's Creed: Generations", "Assassin's Creed: Phoenix", "Assassin's Creed: Vikings", it's more like a new chapter of a new story of that same style of its prequels, with the subtitle being more indicative of the nature of the game and its atmosphere, main event, setting, factions, mythology or era.

Victory -> Victorian Era - Time Period
Black Flag -> The Pirates' Flag - Faction
Unity -> Arno and Elise uniting along with players uniting with co-up and the unity of the French people in the French Revolution - Story, New Feature and Historical Event

Altair1789
03-29-2015, 01:24 AM
But if Unity was V then the next game would have been AC VIctory. It would have been perfect.

(Like Ubi marketing, we'll ignore Rogue.)

holy... UBI WHY DID YOU DROP THE NUMBERS

SixKeys
03-29-2015, 02:42 AM
Unity could technically be V, since the Roman V is sometimes used to replace the letter U. :rolleyes: ("Like Romanvs" instead of "Romanus".) So Victory could still be VI.

But yeah, the real reason is probably because the higher the numbers climb, the more obvious it is they're milking the series.

Jexx21
03-29-2015, 04:39 AM
no the real reason why they ran out of numbers is because ubisoft doesn't know how to count

that's why they keep making more games, they think they don't have enough money to go buy bread

pacmanate
03-29-2015, 10:37 PM
Screw numbers. No numbers is better, it makes each game seem like its own story rather than a continuation.

Plus I don't want to see AC30 to be honest. Nevermind that the numbers make no sense to continue anyway. Would liberation and Rogue still be Liberation and rogue? or 3.5 or 4.5 or something stupid? And if not a number, then why not a number?

king-hailz
03-29-2015, 10:41 PM
Screw numbers. No numbers is better, it makes each game seem like its own story rather than a continuation.

Plus I don't want to see AC30 to be honest. Nevermind that the numbers make no sense to continue anyway. Would liberation and Rogue still be Liberation and rogue? or 3.5 or 4.5 or something stupid? And if not a number, then why not a number?

I really hope that it doesn't go to ac 30... 15 at most for me lol...

STDlyMcStudpants
03-29-2015, 11:50 PM
There doesnt have to be Assassins Creed XX for them to continue numbers...
Unity wasnt substantial to the over arching story,, Neither was rogue...
So they are subtitled games
We had Liberation and AC IV numbered and subtitled...
While we have Brotherhood Freedom Cry, and Revelations which were important but subtitle because they were sequels within a series
Not quite a spin off, but more timeline points to the arch...
Unity in my eye belongs to the kenway saga...
you wont know why i say this unless you have played rogue... but it was just a point in a connected timeline (you can argue AC IV was too and by that logic shouldnt be numbered..so this makes no sense lol)
But also for marketing to not scare people off with the story...
Unity was a relaunch... you dont step out of the gate with Assassins Creed V..
Id actually kind of predict that the year before ACV we DONT get a new AC, but instead we get an AC 1,BL,2,B,R,L,3,RO remastered collection
heck with the problems the game had and how dead Rogue was i wouldnt be surprised if unity wasnt initially planned for this year
They arent done with numbers....
Unity just wasnt enough to deserve a number...
Im fine with subtitles and filler games...
victory might not even be numbered because its being made by the dlc team...
Leave the numbers for the spectacles.. love or hate any of them AC2, AC3, and AC4 all deserved their number.
Idk what it was about Unity but it didnt feel like a meaty assassins creed game
it felt like a filler subtitle game compared to 1,2,3 and 4

The_Kiwi_
03-31-2015, 04:00 AM
The reason they dropped numbers is because they're stuck in MD limbo
Every numbered title introduced new MD perspective: AC2 had you helping assassins and you (Desmond) starting your journey, AC3 had you actually do stuff in MD, and AC4 had you be a tablet
AC5 will happen when MD returns