PDA

View Full Version : OT : Soldiers

NTESLA
06-20-2004, 07:00 PM
Has anyone played with the demo from Codemasters?

If you had played the original Close Combat series from Microsoft then you will love this game! I played it on easy and it's difficult! You really need to think about what tactic you will use! Control the little resources you have and make sure your ground troups have proper ground cover! Very detailed and it does a good job at showing how chaotic ground war can be! The A.I. is great even though some 3 stooges do pop up once in a while but this is the demo! can't wait for the full game to come out on the 29th of this month! Now I know that Oleg is working on something similar but man does this game rocks!

http://fluxout.homestead.com/files/Thx-32x.jpg

"You can discover what your enemy fears most by observing the means he uses to frighten you"

Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

NTESLA
06-20-2004, 07:00 PM
Has anyone played with the demo from Codemasters?

If you had played the original Close Combat series from Microsoft then you will love this game! I played it on easy and it's difficult! You really need to think about what tactic you will use! Control the little resources you have and make sure your ground troups have proper ground cover! Very detailed and it does a good job at showing how chaotic ground war can be! The A.I. is great even though some 3 stooges do pop up once in a while but this is the demo! can't wait for the full game to come out on the 29th of this month! Now I know that Oleg is working on something similar but man does this game rocks!

http://fluxout.homestead.com/files/Thx-32x.jpg

"You can discover what your enemy fears most by observing the means he uses to frighten you"

Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

Zeus-cat
06-20-2004, 09:33 PM
Care to share any tips on playing the demo? Standing and fighting with the single Sherman and the AT gun is suicide. The secondary objective is to find a car to evac the colonel. Where is the car?

I thought the Sherman taking 20 hits from a Panther and Mark III? (the tank that comes in from the left and stops behind the tree) was a bit much. When they finally got me, the turret blew 20 feet into the air.

BTW, I had CC2 thru CC5 and thought they were great. I especially liked CC3 for the flexibility in creating scenarios. CC4 was good, but it had a few problems in immersion. I thought they fixed a lot of those problems with CC5. Still have all my maps for CC3 and CC5.

Zeus-cat

Bluedog72
06-20-2004, 11:00 PM
Tried the demo, very cool.
I reckon I will definately fork over the cash for the full version when it is released.

ZuesCat, the one time I managed to successfully complete the mission, I simply grabbed the Opel Blitz truck that the Germans arrived in, and used it to evacuate the Colonel.
Sometimes, it would be the first thing to be blown sky high, and sometimes it would be left undamaged, just luck of the draw I guess.

The airdropped ammo crates that you see on the ground have all kinds of goodies for you to play with.....the one to the right front of the Sherman when you start has a Bren gun and about 1000 rounds of ammo and some Molotov Cocktails (petrol bombs)
Cool thing is, this MG ammo allso works in your Sherman's MGs.

The ammo box closest to the AT Gun has AT ammo and a Bazooka tube with some rockets...these can be very handy indeed.

Around the back of the house that the Colonel is in, there is yet another ammo box, this one has several anti-tank mines, several anti-personelle mines, and a Lee Enfield sniper rifle, all of which make the job at hand a lot easier if you use them wisely.

Pretty much, I park the Sherman level with the AT Gun, then tell the driver to get out ( you can leave just the gunner in the tank if you wish, but it seems that it reloads much faster if there is a charger aboard) and get him to pick up Bren and as much ammo as he can carry.
Then, using the 'look at' eye symbol thingy, click on the Sherman....you can now swap the MG ammo into the Sherman.
Go back to the box, grab some more Bren ammo, then put him next to the AT Gun, but not manning it.

Sit tight and wait for Jerry to show.

When he does initially, it will be the Opel Blitz and a foot patrol with a couple of motorcycle scouts......wipe 'em out.
When the smoke clears from the first wave, get your Bren gunner to run up and grab the truck, if it works OK, park it in front of the house where Colonel is.....viola, mission accomplished as soon as you get out of the truck.

Then it goes on with Nebelwerfers and all kinds of horrible nasty stuff http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Oh, there is an old car parked in a garage on the left hand side of the map about half way up, you just have to shoot or kick the door open to get to it......and there are a few germans in the surrounding buildings that you will have to deal with first allso.
Be warned though, it is apparently made by Bic or Zippo....she flames up as quick as you can say "Please don't burn"

PS....cool name ZuesCat, believe it or not, that is my cat's name .

Zeus-cat
06-22-2004, 10:46 AM
Zeus is my cat's name too. He looks like Toonces from Saturday Night Live. Very smart cat, but I don't think I would ever let him drive or fly!

Thanks for the tips. I'll try the demo again tonight.

Zeus-cat

carguy_
06-22-2004, 11:09 AM
Very bad interface and key settings.Plus the view can`t be zoomed out to view the whole situation.

Unless nothing changes it`s worthless imo.

http://carguy.w.interia.pl/tracki/sig23d.jpg

Snuffy_Hadden
06-22-2004, 11:31 AM
I've tried it ... even on easy its slightly difficult. Agreed that the interface is a little hard. Didn't get any time last night, may try later tonight.

*** "Proud Member of the White Star Protectorate Society!" ***

Taylortony
06-22-2004, 01:34 PM
It does say the demo is only 80 % complete no doubt in the maddox tradition it will be patched in a none sensical order........btw Soldires RTS is not THE cool TRS we have seen screenshots of but another one from IC if you look on the site

Shifty101
06-22-2004, 02:39 PM
I had many hours of fun with this demo! I found it difficult at first but after you get the hang of it it becomes VERY addicting. If you hold Ctrl I believe it allows you to shoot exactly where you want which can be very helpful when engaging tanks, sniping the engine or tracks. There is also a download available I forget where but it allows you to start with a Tiger instead of the wimpy Sherman, has full ammo and fuel too, very fun indeed. Can't wait for it to be completed, along with Wartime Command(I think thats what it's called now, they've changed it so I become confused sometimes).

http://www.geocities.com/agrill101/Sig.jpg.txt

Taylortony
06-22-2004, 02:55 PM
shifty clik on the tank so you get the circle round it then press end you now control the guns use the mouse to point the turret think its right click to swop between main gun and machine gun.... red sight main gun black sight other and left mouse to fire http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Yellonet
06-22-2004, 03:05 PM
Yep, it feels like Close Combat 3D!
But damn it's tough.

- Yellonet

Shifty101
06-22-2004, 04:42 PM
Thanks for clarifying that Taylor. I have unistalled this demo because I've played it out but I'm sure this will be helpful to those who still have it installed.

http://www.geocities.com/agrill101/Sig.jpg.txt