PDA

View Full Version : the AI cheats !

Skullin
02-26-2004, 07:11 AM
nothing new, but i thought this was really bad...

I was chasing down a p51 and lit him up a few times. He was smoking and bugging out for home when i ran outa ammo. The second i ran out, he pulled a hard break and the smoke stopped coming out of his plane !! he chased me all the way back to my base where, thankfully, my flak shot him down.

so to sum up:
A. he knew the second i ran outa ammo
B. he fixed his plane in mid-flight

now that's just rediculous !! LMAO

Skullin
02-26-2004, 07:11 AM
nothing new, but i thought this was really bad...

I was chasing down a p51 and lit him up a few times. He was smoking and bugging out for home when i ran outa ammo. The second i ran out, he pulled a hard break and the smoke stopped coming out of his plane !! he chased me all the way back to my base where, thankfully, my flak shot him down.

so to sum up:
A. he knew the second i ran outa ammo
B. he fixed his plane in mid-flight

now that's just rediculous !! LMAO

Flamin_Squirrel
02-26-2004, 07:42 AM
It can 'see' though the back of planes too. Try sneaking up on an enemy plane. It'll break as soon as you get within optimal firing range.

Red_Storm
02-26-2004, 07:52 AM
The thing that annoys me most about the AI is when you have a clear shot, you fire and the second you pull the trigger he "knows" you shot and he breaks away before your rounds even reach him. Very annoying.

Maple_Tiger
02-26-2004, 08:53 AM
I realy think it has to do with convergence.

Try it. Set your convergence to 150m for the first test. Do they break at 160m?

Then set you convergence to 300m. Do they break at 320m?

Then try 400m.

Capt. 361stMapleTiger.

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid78/pd6c878f0006c224805da6c9645408b41/fb291d3e.jpg

Proud member of the FBAA and Nutty Philosohpy Club.

georgeo76
02-26-2004, 09:03 AM
My biggest problem w/ the AI is their flawless SA. Many of the tactics I use online (sneaky) don't work worth a flip against the AI. Those pilots always know where you are.

On the bright side, the AI seem to 'tire', that is the longer the engagement lasts, the more foolish the AI become. Anyone else notice that? You can't touch them on the first 5 passes, but by the tenth merge, the AI seem to be much less skilled. Seems like fatigue to me.

http://webpages.charter.net/Stick_Fiend/images/buck2.gif
"I don't think it's quite fair to condemn a whole program because of a single slip-up. "
Fiend's Wings (http://webpages.charter.net/Stick_Fiend)

Oso2323
02-26-2004, 09:13 AM
Here's a definite AI cheat: on my way to a mission I use the auto pilot. After a while we reach the battle and the AI performs some kind of maneuver - so I turn the autopilot off: whereupon my flaps immediately jam!!!

I guess the AI has some kind of magic flap control.

SeaFireLIV
02-26-2004, 09:29 AM
georgeo`s and squirrel about the only ones who`ve got it right. You can`t do `sneak` attacks on AI, especially important now with the 1.22 sound changes. I hope Oleg puts in some kind of `deafness` for AI planes.

But the rest of the claims are little more than knee-jerk reactions than proper observations.
AI DOES NOT repair itself in flight whether you run out of ammo or not.

And you should not cut in to AI in mid-battle! That`s obvious- it buggers things up. A bit like turning the PC off in the middle of something. You should have disabled Autpilot before going into battle. AI`s not Human so it HAS to cheat to some degree. All these games/sims where you fight `Humans in AI` do.

Of course there are faults with AI. It really isn`t fair to blame a piece of technology that simply hasn`t mastered the intricacies of the Human Brain yet! Give it maybe 20 years then try again.

SeaFireLIV...

http://img12.photobucket.com/albums/v31/SeaFireLIV/little_armsFB.jpg
The Fights continue out of the Servers...

Capt._Tenneal
02-26-2004, 10:06 AM
I'm generally satisfied with AI dogfight behavior since the 1.22 patch. I had this one wierd DF against an AI aircraft, though, where it was doing such rapid course changes mid-flight that it looked like a mosquito (the insect, not the plane) with its herky-jerky motion. It goes without saying that it was a b*t*h to shoot down.

Agamemnon22
02-26-2004, 10:23 AM
You sure it was smoke not fuel leak? Because the pony has self-sealing tanks which take a few minutes to seal up.