PDA

View Full Version : 2048 textures

rpkiller
04-04-2004, 02:15 AM
Guess what i'd like to see!... http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Actually, on a serious note, all i'm asking for is rather than stock 2048 textures, simply to remove the 1024 x 1024 texture limit. Therefore if you like for just the plane you are flying you could put a custom 2048 x 2048 or higher resolution skin. This would importantly remove some of the texture blockiness on the wings and such making for an unprecedented level of potential detail, extending the graphical life of the sim.

I'm pretty sure that offline, the one 2048 x 2048 would make very little, if any, difference to the framerate. Also, it could simply be used only if the person wishes, and has a relatively high spec computer.

Online, either only 1024 textures could be used, or the texture could be filtered so that everyone else only sees 1024 textures.

Again, this is not realy a plea for default 2048 textures, just for the 1024 limit to be changed to 2048 or higher to 1: improve graphic quality, especially when looking from the cockpit
2: extend the life of the sim - if in 2 or 3 years time when everyone has 256 or 512 MB graphics cards, such textures would be quite appropriate.
3: impress everyone by making the sim look better than FB

On a final note, it is worth pointing out that one can replace the stock CFS2 textures with 1024 x 1024, considerably improving the appearance of the sim. Also, as far as I'm aware, CFS3 can support 2048 x 2048 (i'm gonna try this one out next).

SO, a request simply for the potential to keep this great sim ahead of the times...

rp

rpkiller
04-04-2004, 02:15 AM
Guess what i'd like to see!... http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Actually, on a serious note, all i'm asking for is rather than stock 2048 textures, simply to remove the 1024 x 1024 texture limit. Therefore if you like for just the plane you are flying you could put a custom 2048 x 2048 or higher resolution skin. This would importantly remove some of the texture blockiness on the wings and such making for an unprecedented level of potential detail, extending the graphical life of the sim.

I'm pretty sure that offline, the one 2048 x 2048 would make very little, if any, difference to the framerate. Also, it could simply be used only if the person wishes, and has a relatively high spec computer.

Online, either only 1024 textures could be used, or the texture could be filtered so that everyone else only sees 1024 textures.

Again, this is not realy a plea for default 2048 textures, just for the 1024 limit to be changed to 2048 or higher to 1: improve graphic quality, especially when looking from the cockpit
2: extend the life of the sim - if in 2 or 3 years time when everyone has 256 or 512 MB graphics cards, such textures would be quite appropriate.
3: impress everyone by making the sim look better than FB

On a final note, it is worth pointing out that one can replace the stock CFS2 textures with 1024 x 1024, considerably improving the appearance of the sim. Also, as far as I'm aware, CFS3 can support 2048 x 2048 (i'm gonna try this one out next).

SO, a request simply for the potential to keep this great sim ahead of the times...

rp