PDA

View Full Version : Bad AI Bombing Accuracy, and wrong "target destroyed" report

carmelid
03-08-2004, 11:58 AM
Those issues are not new. Hope Oleg will understand it's importance (IMHO at least) and take the time to check it out.

1). AI Bombers pilots report "Target destroyed" when they destroy trees objects (object no. 165) near their actual target.

To test it just put some German tanks near some trees, and assign them as a target for a few IL-2's.

2) Bombing AI acuracy is very bad. Most of the time they oveshoot or undershoot the target, even in ACE skill. Check the same mission over and over again, and you see the bombs always miss and hit the SAME point.

In real life, every pilot had a chance to miss a target, but there were good bombers and bad bombers. not all of them performed the same.

In IL-2 AI bombers almost never hit. I had tested it in many profiles and configuration.
This is true if you assign the target to the waypoint, and true also if you just put a "ground attack" waypoint near the target.

I have noticed that bombing accuracy is not the same for each airplane. JU-87's for example are very bad bombers, and will normally hit a few meters near thir target, in any skill. Il-2's accuracy is better, but they also tend to miss.

A Correct modelling should be a "Miss radius" or "Miss Chance %" which is influence by AI skill. So ACE has a smaller chance of missing the target, and a rookie has a bigger chance of missing the target.

This is not a new problem, but was never taken care of seriously. I think it is a shame. Those kind of things realy spoil what could have been a great realistic simulator.

carmelid
03-08-2004, 11:58 AM
Those issues are not new. Hope Oleg will understand it's importance (IMHO at least) and take the time to check it out.

1). AI Bombers pilots report "Target destroyed" when they destroy trees objects (object no. 165) near their actual target.

To test it just put some German tanks near some trees, and assign them as a target for a few IL-2's.

2) Bombing AI acuracy is very bad. Most of the time they oveshoot or undershoot the target, even in ACE skill. Check the same mission over and over again, and you see the bombs always miss and hit the SAME point.

In real life, every pilot had a chance to miss a target, but there were good bombers and bad bombers. not all of them performed the same.

In IL-2 AI bombers almost never hit. I had tested it in many profiles and configuration.
This is true if you assign the target to the waypoint, and true also if you just put a "ground attack" waypoint near the target.

I have noticed that bombing accuracy is not the same for each airplane. JU-87's for example are very bad bombers, and will normally hit a few meters near thir target, in any skill. Il-2's accuracy is better, but they also tend to miss.

A Correct modelling should be a "Miss radius" or "Miss Chance %" which is influence by AI skill. So ACE has a smaller chance of missing the target, and a rookie has a bigger chance of missing the target.

This is not a new problem, but was never taken care of seriously. I think it is a shame. Those kind of things realy spoil what could have been a great realistic simulator.