PDA

View Full Version : A Cool Idea for AC Combat

DangerDrago2015
03-24-2015, 11:04 PM
In Black Flag, Rogue, and AC 3 there was a cool combat feature where blocking light attacks allowed you to either kill, knock out or disarm your opponent. This wasn't in Unity, and I can only pray it will be in Victory, but it gave mean idea.

What if, instead of health, your enemiesvhad DEFENCE. Basically, if you deplete your enemies defence, there's a quick time event sequence, for really light units, you only need press X and perform a kill. With higher level units you might have dodge a few strikes with B before the kill opportunity. Get hit, you lose some health and they regain some guard. And maybe, after you dodge all the attacks successfully, you have three options:

KILL- Insta-kills opponent
KNOCK OUT - Knocks out opponent
DISARM - Steal opponent's weapon, knocking them out with the butt of their weapon

How does that sound?

Fatal-Feit
03-25-2015, 02:14 AM
In Black Flag, Rogue, and AC 3 there was a cool combat feature where blocking light attacks allowed you to either kill, knock out or disarm your opponent. This wasn't in Unity, and I can only pray it will be in Victory, but it gave mean idea.

You also had tool counter and throw.

BananaBlighter
03-25-2015, 06:04 PM
Nice idea, something I loved about AC3 was those animations and the great variety we had. I've had similar ideas too and here is the link to the thread I posted (WARNING: It is pretty lengthy) to which nobody has replied to :( : http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/1043372-Combat-idea-for-AC-Victory

Altair1789
03-25-2015, 08:08 PM
I like this idea. I want them to keep most of Unity's combat but just add some insta-kill mechanics. Not because I think combat is hard, but because I really like having small windows of opportunity for insta-kills

VestigialLlama4
03-25-2015, 08:34 PM
In Black Flag, Rogue, and AC 3 there was a cool combat feature where blocking light attacks allowed you to either kill, knock out or disarm your opponent.

I didn't like that pause in combat. It often spoiled the game because I was wondering which button do I press now, whereas intuitively I could have guessed what to do. AC3 modelled the combat on the Arkham games slightly, in that you had different archetypes which needed a specific attack combination to break through but the Arkham games never stopped the combat mid-punch and you responded intuitively.

What if, instead of health, your enemiesvhad DEFENCE.

They already do have defense. Except for stealth assassinations and pistol, you can't insta-kill any bad guy in combat stance.

Basically, if you deplete your enemies defence, there's a quick time event sequence,

Don't like QTEs in general, though AC3 used them sparingly in key cutscenes by and large, and especially not in combat.

And maybe, after you dodge all the attacks successfully, you have three options:

This systemic breaking down of opponent defenses is a standard since AC1. It's there in all other games and UNITY's combat rests on that.

How does that sound?

It doesn't sound all that different from what's already there in the games. Hand-to-Hand/Sword Combat in AC and open world games in general are always very tricky to pull of and there's no single solution really mostly because they jump forward in settings. The GTA factor (i.e. walking around and causing mayhem in the sandbox) will get harder to justify the further AC goes in time, since unlike those games, AC has a quasi-realist agenda.