PDA

View Full Version : A real Sub Sim....

Eisenkern
04-29-2004, 02:08 PM
Without inviting sadistic discussion, I have to agree with Megahurt on one issue. All the new sim is missing is a fully developed walkthrough sub. Watching the crew wander about, full environmental sounds and effects would make it a true immersive Sim, and lets face it, a commander can only truly be at one place at one time. The concept of being in control is one thing but in an actual fire fight timing of position is critical. As is pointed out, a Captain relies on his shipmates to carry out their duty, so with the new crew feature, delligation of responsibility is crutial. Instantly transporting to all areas in the ship is, lets face it, unrealistic. :wink and I for one would love to just be able to walk around a well modled replica of these great vessels.

Prost!

Eisenkern
04-29-2004, 02:08 PM
Without inviting sadistic discussion, I have to agree with Megahurt on one issue. All the new sim is missing is a fully developed walkthrough sub. Watching the crew wander about, full environmental sounds and effects would make it a true immersive Sim, and lets face it, a commander can only truly be at one place at one time. The concept of being in control is one thing but in an actual fire fight timing of position is critical. As is pointed out, a Captain relies on his shipmates to carry out their duty, so with the new crew feature, delligation of responsibility is crutial. Instantly transporting to all areas in the ship is, lets face it, unrealistic. :wink and I for one would love to just be able to walk around a well modled replica of these great vessels.

Prost!

Bowfin
05-03-2004, 03:50 PM
I agree 100 % that would set a new standard
in sims. the first person view really puts
you in the action. i play FPS aswell as many
hardcore sims,to join both together would bring
many new players to the game,and to be able to
walk around WW2 vessels would be fantastic

Egan2.0
05-03-2004, 04:37 PM
It would be interesting but until they have actually got the SH series back on the right path again in terms of AI etc it's really just a gimmic, isn't it?

Hopefully the implementation of a proper Crew system will be the first step towards this sort of thing. Maybe SH4 would have it.

Actually, if there is an SH4 then there really wouldn't be any excuse for not having a fully interactive 3D interior.

HeibgesU999
05-04-2004, 08:16 PM
i would rather see a 3rd person view a la Metal Gear and SOCOM than the FPS view. I think this would fit in much better with a subsim.

especially the latter climb and ladder slide animations available in 3rd person view. this would be some nice eye candy.

Antrodemus
05-09-2004, 10:42 AM
I don't think 3rd person would be viable in such cramped environs, as the camera would have a helluva time trying to keep anything other than the back of the player's head from filling the field of view.

It wouldn't hurt if the view switched to 3rd person as you started to negotiate ladders & hatches though... and your bunk. http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

A.

Deamon-
09-13-2005, 01:45 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Eisenkern:
I have to agree with Megahurt on one issue. All the new sim is missing is a fully developed walkthrough sub. Watching the crew wander about, full environmental sounds and effects would make it a true immersive Sim, and lets face it, a commander can only truly be at one place at one time... ...and I for one would love to just be able to walk around a well modled replica of these great vessels. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I agree with you and thats what i will try to implement at all costs in my own project, after i have played Mikes where the interiours were modeled fully in 3D, you could only switch from station to station though but it blew me away. Now i want to make my own sim with free FPS style movement of the player and crew inside the sub and on the deck

http://www.dreadnoughtproject.org/heinrich/main.htm

Deamon

walterlzw
09-13-2005, 10:08 AM
I am all for the walkthrough mode, if only for the eye-candy aspect of it. I'd like to know how it actually feels to be inside a sub, not just controlling it. The 'one-station-at-one-time' is a good ideal but make it an option. I also believe it would be pretty easy to design an interface that switchs between 1st and 3rd person views. Metal Gear Solid uses an interface more than 10 years old (quasi 3D environment that the camera can't rotate around); a better example would be Rainbow Six 3.

paulhager
09-13-2005, 11:23 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Eisenkern:

Prost! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

What's needed is a cross between THE SIMS 2 and SH3: Call it, THE SIMS 2: U-Boat. You can fully accessorize your Sim crew, and gain aspiration for them by performing tasks (and surviving missions). You could focus all of your attention on one crewman - for example, Seaman Schickelgr├╝ber who is a machinist. The sub would then effectively "command itself" following your general directives, while you concentrate on Schickelgr├╝ber. Naturally, you'd want the next edition which would be the Shore Leave expansion which would involve visits to local houses of ill-repute. Attention: Hillary Clinton.

Better would be what I call THE SIMS 5 version. Assuming a continuation of Moore's Law for the foreseeable future, in 40 years PC performance should have gone through 20 doublings - figure speed and memory would be in the quadrillions of Hertz and Bytes of RAM. At that point, your Sims will be close to true AI's - they might even be able to pass the Turing test in limited ways.

I don't know if anyone will want to play THE SIMS 6: in that version, the Sims will play you...

Flydutch
09-14-2005, 02:27 AM
Bump!
The Walkthrough, (You Can Walk A litlle In the Rooms not on the Bridge: Shift F2 Arrow Keys If, I Remember Right!)
But The Possibilty To Control Other Tasks Makes this Sim more Interesting To My Opinion, Let The Player Choose For Realistic Command or Jump To Tasks As Featured. Already you can delegate your officers to do their tasks althoug not always to their best efforts.
I would wan't to see less symbols, screens & P&P Gauges, But more realistic Walkthrough where You Use the Actual Instruments and Officers for information.