PDA

View Full Version : P40 and Me163 impressions

JorBR
03-31-2004, 09:25 AM
Just impressions people, no hard data.

P40

I´ve never flew P40s before. Now I am in mid 42, Leningrad campaign and my regiment is equipped with P40M´s. What a surprise!

Full real except CEM (I´m lazy) the plane is very pleasent to fly. Highly manouverable, without any vices, good visibility and decent firepower.

It really is slower than 109´s and 190´s both in climbing and level flight, but against AI it isn´t that much problem. Have a very bullet sensitive engine, just like the 109, no big deal, but is adviseable to leave your AI squadmates handle the bombers.

One thing I found particullary difficult was learn how to shoot only with wing guns. I noticed how important to me nose guns are. With them I can shoot more accurately, even in 190´s as I realized I use nose machine guns to "fix" the target for my wing cannons. I´m still mastering the fine art of shooting with a clean nose.

Me 163

Inspired by the Go track, I did a few bomber interception missions in FMB. I´ve tryed all german late war planes. Provided the bombers are not to far away from your airfield the 163 is just fantastic.

Climbs in a blink, good firepower and visibilitty. Contrary to what I expected, the plane can stand a few .50 hits without any noticeable problem.

Speed? Unmatchable, period. If you have patient and correct timing you are almost untouchable. Timing in this plane is everything. Timing for killing as you have only chances to snapshots and timing for leaving the battle scene. As soon as fuel is gone and your speed drops scorting P51´s and P47´s show no respect for 163´s wonderfull glidind capabilities.

I do know range and "engine" realiability issues must have been a serious handicap in RL. But in a controlled virtual environment the Me 163 is, IMHO, the utmost viermot killer.

Boring day at work http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/images/smiley/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

"Never wrestle with a pig; you both get dirty but the pig enjoys it!"

JorBR
03-31-2004, 09:25 AM
Just impressions people, no hard data.

P40

I´ve never flew P40s before. Now I am in mid 42, Leningrad campaign and my regiment is equipped with P40M´s. What a surprise!

Full real except CEM (I´m lazy) the plane is very pleasent to fly. Highly manouverable, without any vices, good visibility and decent firepower.

It really is slower than 109´s and 190´s both in climbing and level flight, but against AI it isn´t that much problem. Have a very bullet sensitive engine, just like the 109, no big deal, but is adviseable to leave your AI squadmates handle the bombers.

One thing I found particullary difficult was learn how to shoot only with wing guns. I noticed how important to me nose guns are. With them I can shoot more accurately, even in 190´s as I realized I use nose machine guns to "fix" the target for my wing cannons. I´m still mastering the fine art of shooting with a clean nose.

Me 163

Inspired by the Go track, I did a few bomber interception missions in FMB. I´ve tryed all german late war planes. Provided the bombers are not to far away from your airfield the 163 is just fantastic.

Climbs in a blink, good firepower and visibilitty. Contrary to what I expected, the plane can stand a few .50 hits without any noticeable problem.

Speed? Unmatchable, period. If you have patient and correct timing you are almost untouchable. Timing in this plane is everything. Timing for killing as you have only chances to snapshots and timing for leaving the battle scene. As soon as fuel is gone and your speed drops scorting P51´s and P47´s show no respect for 163´s wonderfull glidind capabilities.

I do know range and "engine" realiability issues must have been a serious handicap in RL. But in a controlled virtual environment the Me 163 is, IMHO, the utmost viermot killer.

Boring day at work http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/images/smiley/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

"Never wrestle with a pig; you both get dirty but the pig enjoys it!"

Zen--
03-31-2004, 09:53 AM
I find the P40 to be an amazingly agile turning fighter...very surprising to me in light of it's historical reputation. Not saying that its not true, but it definately surprised the heck out of me.

I think the P40 is one of those sleeper types, like the P39 in IL2 original used to be. For most it's not going to do well, but in the right hands its a deadly plane.

-Zen-
Tracks (http://209.163.146.67/tracks)