PDA

View Full Version : Fans,do you want to play as Brutus? In Ancient Rome?

Defalt221
03-20-2015, 11:03 AM
I personally want to play as him. Not only because of the character but also due to the fact that we'll get to see a more beautiful Rome thanks to the new Anvil Next Engine which delivers awesome graphical fidelity. Plus I also played Ryse son Of Rome and seeing how much beautiful and varied the cities were I immediately realized that Ubisoft could create a brilliant recreation of Rome and also combined with the parkour mechanics and Naval battles (Which did wage in those times Proof: http://www.ancient.eu/Roman_Naval_Warfare/) and forests and other vegetative areas the game could have the best of both Unity (Epic scale beautiful cities) and Black Flag (Diversity,islands,forests etc). And we'll also get a more interesting storyline where Caesar who was Brutus' best friend had to be killed despite the general people liking him and why the events lead up to him. Also there are a wide range of characters they could build like Cassius,Mark Antony etc.
:::Think about it...
-No more firearms. Back to bows arrows,spears,swords,axes,maces etc. This could bring more dynamic combat mechanics.
-An interesting protagonist
-Ancient Rome
-A more diverse world that expands both inside and outside of Rome like visiting Cilicia (because Brutus was given the quaestorship in Cilicia),Greece when he follows Pompey during the civil war against Caesar, etc.
-A large variety of enemy archetypes
-Rise of Italian assassins
-The fall of Brutus (Or his faking of his death...maybe?)
-Many historical events like: Battle of Pharsalus,The Battle of Phillipi,
-Assassination targets like: Caesar, Pompeii the Great (Similar to Charles Vane assassination where he doesn't die but you get to "pseudo-assassinate" him),assassination attempt on Antony,etc
-Interesting political conspiracies by the unknown Templars,also due to Brutus' direct involvement on politics and also since then Ubisoft can't ignore the historical events etc.
The possibilities are endless.

wvstolzing
03-20-2015, 11:12 AM
Yes.

Also interesting is that while Dante is supposed to be an Assassin, he puts Brutus in the lowest stage of the Inferno, getting chewed in Satan's mouth together with his accomplice, Cassius. Their 'sin' is supposedly that they were traitors of the worst rank.

I guess he didn't know that Brutus was an Assassin too.

Defalt221
03-20-2015, 11:22 AM
Yes..

You could vote on the poll...

wvstolzing
03-20-2015, 11:43 AM
You could vote on the poll...

Yes indeed.

Namikaze_17
03-20-2015, 12:34 PM
-An interesting protagonist

When was that guaranteed? :rolleyes:

---

Anyway, I'm pretty meh about being a historical figure, even if they were an Assassin.

(I honestly rather be Caesar's guard or something)

Could care less about the rise of an order before Ezio, but everything else sounds alright. :/

But overall, I'm on meh to indifferent.

JamesFaith007
03-20-2015, 01:12 PM
Anyway, I'm pretty meh about being a historical figure, even if they were an Assassin.

This.

Playing as real historical figure would be too restrictive for me, especially when i know this person.

Defalt221
03-20-2015, 01:13 PM
When was that guaranteed? :rolleyes:

---

(I honestly rather be Caesar's guard or something)

Could care less about the rise of an order before Ezio, but everything else sounds alright. :/

But overall, I'm on meh to indifferent.

By interesting i refer to that he has the potential to be so. We know that despite what he did,the people turn against him. In other words,the Templars twist the truth to their liking that Brutus is a traitor and deserves to go to hell (Dante's poem ) And so we'll see him deal with that (mentally and physically) and finally collapse to suicide (if the AC lore is respectful of that). And because he's not an Ezio clone. The last Ezio clone became the worst liked character in the franchise.

wvstolzing
03-20-2015, 01:29 PM
In other words,the Templars twist the truth to their liking that Brutus is a traitor and deserves to go to hell (Dante's poem )

I guess that's the only way to explain away the discrepancy; but was that mentioned anywhere in the games (or elsewhere)? That the Templars tempered with Dante's work?

And so we'll see him deal with that (mentally and physically) and finally collapse to suicide (if the AC lore is respectful of that). And because he's not an Ezio clone. The last Ezio clone became the worst liked character in the franchise.

I know little about the historical M. Iunius Brutus; but his fictional representation has a hugely important precedent obviously in Shakespeare; and he's one of the most thoughtful characters the Bard has ever created -- more or less a first draft for Hamlet, in my opinion.

Though I agree that a historical character as *player character* might not work so well; and so far they've stayed away from that, I think for good reason. We could be friends with Brutus, and that could be interesting; but the man himself might be too constraining.

Also, the fall of the Republic is one of *the* most visited periods in fiction; and in the public imagination, the name 'Rome' immediately invokes figures like Julius Caesar, M.I. Brutus, Anthony and Cleopatra, Augustus, etc. The founding of the Republic -- featuring the older Brutus, Lucius Iunius, who 'assassinated' the last king of Rome -- or the fall of the Western Empire are equally interesting periods, though not *as* romanticised. The comics already featured the later empire; but I'd be excited for a game to revisit any of those periods.

ze_topazio
03-20-2015, 02:03 PM
No, I don't want to play as a historical character, but yes, I want ancient Rome, not necessarily in that period, maybe more around the time of Trajan or Hadrian or Marcus Aurelius or maybe Commodus when the empire decadence started, the time of the infamous Nero could work too, or the time of Caligula.

The funding of the Republic like wvstolzing suggested could be interesting, but Rome was pretty small back then, maybe as a more complex rift, or a dlc style short story like Freedom Cry or maybe something like Liberation.

Regarding Dante, he lived 1300 years after Brutus, there's a chance he didn't even knew Brutus was an Assassin.

Defalt221
03-20-2015, 04:40 PM
This.

Playing as real historical figure would be too restrictive for me, especially when i know this person.
You know his public life like everyone knew Mirebeau. I mean about his secret life as an assassin. Btw he's regarded as a legendary assassin.

SpiritOfNevaeh
03-20-2015, 04:47 PM
Sure, why not? :)

Shahkulu101
03-20-2015, 04:53 PM
Brutus is an honorable man.

VestigialLlama4
03-20-2015, 05:01 PM
I guess that's the only way to explain away the discrepancy; but was that mentioned anywhere in the games (or elsewhere)? That the Templars tempered with Dante's work?

Well bear in mind, Dante's book is highly ironic. It's not a religious work, its a poetic and literary work, and the people who Dante sends to hell are not necessarily unsympathetic or meant to be judged morally. If Dante was an Assassin, naturally he wouldn't believe in Heaven and Hell, the real-life Dante hated the Pope Boniface and he put him in Hell after the Pope arranged for Dante to be exiled from Florence, so he wasn't a "good Catholic" per se. He was also friends with the atheist poet Guido Cavalcanti. Divine Comedy is an ironic look at history and philosophy, it's about how to get to heaven, one must go through hell and throughout Inferno, Dante relates strongly to many of Hell's denizens.

So there's no discrepancy or any such thing. The other thing is just because they are Assassins doesn't mean they won't disagree, some Assassins might see Brutus positively, others won't.

Personally I am okay for AC to experiment with playable historical figures. Because, 1) That hasn't really been done by other games 2) It's a pretty interesting challenge.

Darby McDevitt said that there was serious plans to do a James Kidd/Mary Read DLC before they went with Freedom Cry, so the door isn't closed. Personally I was hoping for a playable Napoleon DLC, covering the first part of his career up to his coup d'etat. He was more a man of action at that time.

However, I am not sure Playable Brutus is that interesting. I mean he wasn't much of an action-hero guy, he was a politician. If we want to play as someone from that time period, Spartacus is my choice. After all a rebellious slave is the kind of protagonist an Assassin's Creed game is made for and the real Spartacus simply disappeared, no one's sure if he died or vanished somewhere. The hollywood film manufactured an ending for him which is a best guess but it's just one interpretation among many. Another can be Armellinus Germanicus, the mastermind behind Emperor Augustus' worst defeat, it can go back to natural environments in Germany and that guy had some variation in how he died. You can also tackle the Goddess Boudicca who burned London to the ground.

Xstantin
03-20-2015, 05:25 PM
I know I complain too much about outfits in AC but no if he has this
http://img4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20110327053502/assassinscreed/images/b/b5/Armor_Of_Brutus_v.png

SixKeys
03-20-2015, 05:28 PM
Only if we don't have to wear that hideous armor.

wvstolzing
03-20-2015, 05:57 PM
Well bear in mind, Dante's book is highly ironic. It's not a religious work, its a poetic and literary work, and the people who Dante sends to hell are not necessarily unsympathetic or meant to be judged morally. If Dante was an Assassin, naturally he wouldn't believe in Heaven and Hell, the real-life Dante hated the Pope Boniface and he put him in Hell after the Pope arranged for Dante to be exiled from Florence, so he wasn't a "good Catholic" per se. He was also friends with the atheist poet Guido Cavalcanti. Divine Comedy is an ironic look at history and philosophy, it's about how to get to heaven, one must go through hell and throughout Inferno, Dante relates strongly to many of Hell's denizens.

I do concede that I'm no expert (far from it), but the people to whom he 'relates strongly' seem to be limited to the virtuous heathens -- the Roman poets -- who aren't in any bad shape at all, just chilling out in the shadows :rolleyes: Insofar as there's an irony in the lowest level, it's lost on me -- so I'm intrigued by it now; thanks for the heads up, I'll look further into it.

Though I'm still inclined to believe that the writers of AC2 threw Dante in, because he was a Florentine and all.... and our guy was Florentine. And when it was time to make a game in Rome, who else to attribute the endgame bonus armor to? Obviously the most famous assassination-guy. So yeah. :P

VestigialLlama4
03-20-2015, 06:17 PM
I do concede that I'm no expert (far from it), but the people to whom he 'relates strongly' seem to be limited to the virtuous heathens -- the Roman poets -- who aren't in any bad shape at all, just chilling out in the shadows :rolleyes: Insofar as there's an irony in the lowest level, it's lost on me -- so I'm intrigued by it now; thanks for the heads up, I'll look further into it.

The most blasphemous element in the entire books isn't Inferno, its Paradiso, where Dante states that the girl he crushed on was the guide to heaven, in other words saying that the Pope and others don't matter.

Though I'm still inclined to believe that the writers of AC2 threw Dante in, because he was a Florentine and all.... and our guy was Florentine. And when it was time to make a game in Rome, who else to attribute the endgame bonus armor to? Obviously the most famous assassination-guy. So yeah. :P

Patrice Desilets who designed the historical section of AC2 was fairly thorough. Dante makes sense as an Assassin because he was heavily involved in the Guelphs and Ghibellines crisis, where Florence fought for its independence against the Holy Roman Empire by supporting the Pope (in the theory that God is above Kings), then the Pope decided to screw them over as a reward for their loyalty. He's someone who fights for freedom and the like. Brutus likewise killed Caesar in a vain attempt to preserve the Republic, that's why he's considered the Tragic Hero of Democracy.

In any case, until AC3 there was some amount of logic to the historical sympathies of the Assassins. In AC3, they make Connor first-name basis with the Founding Fathers when that doesn't make a great deal of sense, It's there solely for the AC2-Pal with History effect. The only American founder who could have realistically been an Assassin and befriended Connor is say, Aaron Burr (an anti-racist, pro-women's advocate, who played a key role in abolishing slavery in New York State). The real Charles Lee also makes way more sense as a flawed Assassin supporter than a Templar, he became the symbol of the Founding Fathers shoddy treatment of rank-and-file soldiers. The problem is these are really controversial historical figures and unlike the Renaissance isn't safely consigned to the historical past. Like Aaron Burr only had some of his reputation recovered in the 60s when Gore Vidal wrote an awesome novel about him (which I am sure Corey May and others read for inspiration of the game) but most people still think of him as the guy who whacked Alexander Hamilton in a duel (which Hamilton certainly instigated).

In Black Flag, they returned to logical basis, in that the only real Pirate-Assassin is Mary Reade. In UNITY, the Assassins oppose the French Revolution and the game says that the people are idiots for protesting against "Good King Louis" who is an innocent, which is pure garbage and it's there because the French Revolution is fairly controversial and there are very few pro-FR stories in movies and books. It also makes Mirabeau a hero when the real-guy, while brilliant and smart, was pretty much on the King's dime and angled for a career as Prime Minister (while dismissing other Revolutionaries as opportunists...see the problem with that story). Mirabeau is only an Assassin because he's a consensus figure, that is someone who everyone is okay with liking. To be really frank, when you come down to it, Assassin's Creed are very safe and conversative, only pretend-edgy really.

The logic of the series lore means that the only Assassin of the French Revolutionaries is a guy who is say, anti-war, anti-racist, abolitionist, wants to build a world where every citizen votes and not just property owners. In the Revolution, there was one such man and his name is Maximilien Robespierre, a.k.a. the most controversial man in French history.

JamesFaith007
03-20-2015, 07:39 PM
You know his public life like everyone knew Mirebeau. I mean about his secret life as an assassin. Btw he's regarded as a legendary assassin.

It is one thing make someone legendary assassin and base it on one real event (Ceasar assassination) with some fictive AC reasoning behind it. It would be something completely different to alter few years of his life to serve this purpose.

How would players react on fact that he willingly support his father murderer Pompeius? Or that he spent big part of Civil war in Gaul as governor? Or that he didn't participate on second most famous assassination of this era when Pompeius was killed in Egypt?

Brutus is just typical AC historical character who participated in famous assassinations and reasoning behind this kill was implemented in lore. He should work as supporting character in AC game set in ancient Rome but not main hero.

Namikaze_17
03-20-2015, 08:15 PM
By interesting i refer to that he has the potential to be so. We know that despite what he did,the people turn against him. In other words,the Templars twist the truth to their liking that Brutus is a traitor and deserves to go to hell (Dante's poem ) And so we'll see him deal with that (mentally and physically) and finally collapse to suicide (if the AC lore is respectful of that). And because he's not an Ezio clone. The last Ezio clone became the worst liked character in the franchise.

Eh, I rather do what wvstolzing mentioned and have Brutus be a side character to interact with.

I personally would like to be a guard of Caesar or something of that nature. Watching the conflict unfold with Brutus and co, as we prevent Caesar's death from coming sooner by killing Assassins which we fail eventually.

We also could get a deeper insight into Caesar, his comet ( ;)), and his ties with the Templars.

As for your last statement; Yes, Brutus is not an Ezio clone but neither is Arno for that matter or "the worst".

Don't wanna derail this topic about Arno, but can we please get away from this stigma?

All characters are different. :/

x.Angel.x
03-20-2015, 09:04 PM
In my case the middle age is my favorite part of history so for me no, I really don't like it

But again is my POV =)

Altair1789
03-20-2015, 09:09 PM
I wouldn't mind going to ancient Rome and revisiting the "old ways" of the assassins, but I don't want to do it as Brutus. I don't know why, I don't even know much about him since I'm not much for ancient Roman history, I just feel like playing a real historical figure isn't really "the thing" for this game. Important assassins are usually left out of history thanks to the templars

prince162010
03-20-2015, 09:22 PM
Interesting :) voted

Ezio270
03-20-2015, 09:33 PM
Voted ^^ yes

Megas_Doux
03-20-2015, 10:11 PM
Brutus???? No.
Rome???? No
Ancient Rome???? Yes.

I rather vist Alexandria for instance.

SixKeys
03-20-2015, 10:39 PM
We also could get a deeper insight into Caesar, his comet ( ;)), and his ties with the Templars.

http://i.imgur.com/EuJ9WYg.png

Namikaze_17
03-21-2015, 01:26 AM
http://i.imgur.com/EuJ9WYg.png

I knew someone would bring that up. :rolleyes:

Defalt221
03-21-2015, 07:27 AM
Only if we don't have to wear that hideous armor.

Well Altair never wore his armor (Altair's armor from AC2 and Brotherhood) did he? The same could happen to Brutus...

Defalt221
03-21-2015, 07:28 AM
I wouldn't mind going to ancient Rome and revisiting the "old ways" of the assassins, but I don't want to do it as Brutus. I don't know why, I don't even know much about him since I'm not much for ancient Roman history, I just feel like playing a real historical figure isn't really "the thing" for this game. Important assassins are usually left out of history thanks to the templars

I guess so. Maybe we should play as a friend of Brutus or sth...

pirate1802
03-21-2015, 07:40 AM
Oh dear yes, especially if we get to play as Spartacus. I'd prefer him more than Brutus infact.

Sabutto
03-21-2015, 07:41 AM
Meh

BananaBlighter
03-21-2015, 12:28 PM
Wait, I'm confused...how are we going to have Templars if they never existed in this time period?

MorKali1
03-21-2015, 12:39 PM
Yes, I think it would be interesting to play a game at the time of Roman Empire.

Templar_Az
03-21-2015, 03:47 PM
I voted Yes because I would love to have just about ANY ancient setting. Although, I would much prefer not to play as an historical figure.

SixKeys
03-21-2015, 04:10 PM
Well Altair never wore his armor (Altair's armor from AC2 and Brotherhood) did he? The same could happen to Brutus...

Well, he did, just without the Renaissance robes underneath.

Shahkulu101
03-21-2015, 04:38 PM
I want an Ancient setting badly, but not in Europe and certainly not in a city we've already seen.

Megas_Doux
03-21-2015, 04:57 PM
I want an Ancient setting badly, but not in Europe and certainly not in a city we've already seen.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-3Cm1BaWVNmk/UYz5fNGQzNI/AAAAAAAACMk/EKET_IxCr7w/s1600/babylonhanginggardens2.jpg

Best setting eva!!!!!! FACT!!!!!!!!!!!!

At least in my heart:p

GunnerGalactico
03-21-2015, 06:04 PM
@ Megas

I like that picture. Where is that situated? Mesopotamia? Babylon? Sumer?

EDIT: Never mind. Found it.

Assassin_M
03-21-2015, 06:27 PM
No. We had Rome and Italy already. I don't care that they're different time periods, the familiarity will be hard not to notice.

SixKeys
03-21-2015, 06:31 PM
No. We had Rome and Italy already. I don't care that they're different time periods, the familiarity will be hard not to notice.

We did New York already and it didn't stop them from making Rogue. :rolleyes:

Assassin_M
03-21-2015, 06:34 PM
They did Ezio already and it didn't stop them from making B and R. They'll stop if they know what's good for them. Rogue is an exceptional case. They knew Unity wont sell that well.

VestigialLlama4
03-21-2015, 06:43 PM

The chief problem with doing Ancient Rome is that depending on the period, its going to be the Campagna and Centro district and fields of grassland, in other words we are getting a city smaller than the one in BROTHERHOOD though with improved graphics it could be improved. Those are the historical centres, Vatican didn't exist at that time, and the other areas didn't develop much until ages later. On the other hand they can maybe recreate some lost and missing buildings and recreate ruins to how it could look originally.

Actually that's the main problem with Ancient World Assassin's Creed - the cities will be really tiny, very few large buildings and lots of countryside, you are looking at AC3 cities in general.

Templar_Az
03-21-2015, 11:15 PM
With Ancient Rome I imagine it will have the gladiator arena before it became ruined; possibly see the protagonist getting caught and made to fight in there. But I would also like some other cities/places as well in the game, not just Rome or it might seem too similar to Brotherhood in some ways.

marvelfannumber
03-21-2015, 11:56 PM
With Ancient Rome I imagine it will have the gladiator arena before it became ruined; possibly see the protagonist getting caught and made to fight in there.

Not really, if we were playing as Brutus it would mostly just be a bunch of residental areas.

If we were playing during the reign of Nero we would see the Domus Aurea though which is something I guess:

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-Q0DJFj4Ylm4/UJ68COMTgqI/AAAAAAAAHbo/cCY1QV1PSg8/s1600/ROMA_Domus-Aurea_a%C3%B1o64dc.jpg

Templar_Az
03-22-2015, 01:25 AM
Not really, if we were playing as Brutus it would mostly just be a bunch of residental areas.

Oh what I meant was if we played as a normal Assassin like always in ancient Rome, not an historical figure like Brutus.

ze_topazio
03-23-2015, 01:56 PM
Brutus???? No.
Rome???? No
Ancient Rome???? Yes.

I rather vist Alexandria for instance.

Don't you fools try to ruin my dream of a fully 3D explorable ancient Rome, something I've been dreaming for years before even the first AC came out.

wvstolzing
03-23-2015, 02:05 PM
If we were playing during the reign of Nero we would see the Domus Aurea though which is something I guess:

The very first Romulus Lair in ACB took place in its ruins -- if I'm not mistaken.

ze_topazio
03-23-2015, 02:23 PM
I don't remember if it was the first or not but yes, one of the Romulus lairs is inside the ruins of the Domus Aurea.