PDA

View Full Version : Why so many things locked due to progression (Rogue)?

Frag_Maniac
03-19-2015, 04:57 AM
Every settlement I go to I cannot do certain things. I can't even get info from the barkeep. This is not at all like AC IV in that sense. Pretty much every place I explored in AC IV I could do anything but major storyline stuff.

I think most people in an RPG adventure type game like to explore and complete tasks as they go, vs doing nothing but story quests until the game finally decides you've progressed enough to do trivial things.

I mean I couldn't even hunt gray wolves when I first got to Fort La Croix. It wasn't until I did the story mission in Albany that I could find them at all at one of my next stops at Twin Snake Path.

What the hell does anything you do in Albany have to do with Gray wolves appearing elsewhere, or anywhere for that matter? Their games are not consistent at all. I like to outfit myself first thing, so I hunt a lot. Far Cry 4 and AC IV let you do this. This game, not so much.

Anykeyer
03-19-2015, 08:48 AM
Most stuff unlocks after you (plot twist) become a templar. This wont make much sense to storm assassin's fort while you are still with assassins.

Alphacos007
03-19-2015, 03:04 PM
Same goes for the Ship upgrades, most will unlock when you have templar's technology, because theoretically the Templars have more money, so they have better technology.

siralex1986
03-19-2015, 04:16 PM
Honestly? Not so many things locked compared to previous games!

strigoi1958
03-19-2015, 05:18 PM
Well that does make sense.... but I usually try to do as many upgrades as possible... as soon as possible. So I better do a bit more plot then :D

Frag_Maniac
03-19-2015, 09:39 PM
Well thanks for spoiling without adequate warning. Jeez, this thread was not only a waste of time, but a story buzzkill too.

Thanks Ubi for making much of the first part of this game so linear and senseless that people spoil one of the biggest story details just responding to a complaint about it.

DAMN!!!

Honestly? Not so many things locked compared to previous games!

Seriously, you haven't noticed that in AC IV you could take on forts early on or hunt for pretty much anything in the areas you have access to? You didn't notice that in Far Cry 3 you could hunt and explore as you please from the start, and after a very short intro in Far Cry 4? In this game I'm into Sequence 3 and such trivial things are still locked.

Never mind about the angst toward the spoilers though. I knew from the get go it didn't make sense that everywhere I went both blue coats and red coats were shown as hostiles, yet blue marked forts weren't. They were telegraphing a coming change of loyalty from the start (though I'd prefer it not have been so bluntly revealed!!!). The whole start of this game is nonsensical. You can waltz right into forts with red marked troops and steal from their chests and take other valuable items, but oh no, if I make a sound shooting something I'm hunting or so much as get too close to one of them, suddenly I'm a terrorist.

jeffies04
03-20-2015, 02:44 AM
Well thanks for spoiling without adequate warning. Jeez, this thread was not only a waste of time, but a story buzzkill too.

Thanks Ubi for making much of the first part of this game so linear and senseless that people spoil one of the biggest story details just responding to a complaint about it.

DAMN!!!

Seriously, you haven't noticed that in AC IV you could take on forts early on or hunt for pretty much anything in the areas you have access to? You didn't notice that in Far Cry 3 you could hunt and explore as you please from the start, and after a very short intro in Far Cry 4? In this game I'm into Sequence 3 and such trivial things are still locked.

Never mind about the angst toward the spoilers though. I knew from the get go it didn't make sense that everywhere I went both blue coats and red coats were shown as hostiles, yet blue marked forts weren't. They were telegraphing a coming change of loyalty from the start (though I'd prefer it not have been so bluntly revealed!!!). The whole start of this game is nonsensical. You can waltz right into forts with red marked troops and steal from their chests and take other valuable items, but oh no, if I make a sound shooting something I'm hunting or so much as get too close to one of them, suddenly I'm a terrorist.

Sorry you were spoiled, but it hasn't been kept that big of a secret.... the trailers gave it away first.

Frag_Maniac
03-20-2015, 03:46 AM
Sorry you were spoiled, but it hasn't been kept that big of a secret.... the trailers gave it away first.

I didn't watch the trailers. It's not that big a spoiler anyway because I just finished the Homestead invasion, and after that it's about the only way the story could go really. Unless he were to go totally rogue and not align with anyone, which they've never done before.

Anykeyer
03-20-2015, 09:47 AM
Spoilers? Its in intro that plays on "press any key" screen. Its in game's name. And its in every trailer.
Game even tries to surprise you by giving ""kill the assassin" objective and then revealing its actually your friend and you're still an assassin in the beginning.

Frag_Maniac
03-21-2015, 12:03 AM
^Believe it or not, some people only pay attention to the gameplay itself in a game like this, to let the story unfold untainted by the internet or Ubi's clumsiness.

And I'm sorry, but calling the game Rogue does not in itself make it obvious you'll switch factions. It could mean playing spy, or it could mean going totally rogue as I said before.

I'm really getting sick of the growing number of fanboys that support Ubi's oft times ill conceived way of doing things.

It's as if you accept stories that are very shallow in elements of suspense, even in story driven titles.

Anykeyer
03-21-2015, 08:40 AM
Really? Its you who got this game without even reading its description (yes, store description also says you play as templar). Just bc it had "assassins" and "creed" in its title?
Then you call us ubi fanboys? Thats rich.

Frag_Maniac
03-21-2015, 10:59 PM
I got it based on the fact that it has similar gameplay to AC IV, which was a very good title. That's all I needed to know. You have very assumptive reasoning behind your definition of fanboy. At least mine is based on continued BS excuses in support of Ubi's way of making the game itself.

XJocosityCube
03-23-2015, 07:08 AM
The bottom line is that just because you choose to buy games without knowing anything at all about them except the gameplay doesn't mean you can expect everyone else to. To most people, it's beyond common knowledge that this game features you playing as a Templar because it's been something that Ubisoft has made sure to mention pretty much any time they talk about this game, so it's pretty obvious that people would talk casually about it since it's the equivalent of talking about how you play as an indian in Assassin's Creed 3.