PDA

View Full Version : So I Just Got A Brand New PC WTF!? Ubisoft?

zazally
03-19-2015, 01:38 AM
So I went out and bought a MSI gaming motherboard, i7-4790k @4.0ghz, Gigabyte G1 gaming gtx 980 and using 16 gig of DDR3 ram and I struggled to get maintain 60+ fps on Assassins Creed Unity on Ultra settings TXAA. This can't be me my computers fault right? This is seriously annoying. Game still feels unplayable even though I spent so much money upgrading my PC. Please tell me it is the game or is my GPU faulty or CPU faulty or something? Thank you for reading.

I get 40-60 fps at all times on TXAA. Using FXAA I get around 40-70 fps depending where I am. I have updated the game to the latest version also. Why is this game so horrible.

playlisting
03-19-2015, 04:27 AM
I get 40-60 fps at all times with TXAA.

Why is this game so horrible.

So you're pushing every single graphical detail up to max with a demanding form of AA and you're complaining that you're achieving 40-60 FPS? Wut? I don't know what you expected. Unity, while it isn't what you would call 'well optimised', features a massive, detailed, beautiful city with huge crowds. 60+ FPS on this game is practically unachievable for any system.

zazally
03-19-2015, 06:09 AM
So you're pushing every single graphical detail up to max with a demanding form of AA and you're complaining that you're achieving 40-60 FPS? Wut? I don't know what you expected. Unity, while it isn't what you would call 'well optimised', features a massive, detailed, beautiful city with huge crowds. 60+ FPS on this game is practically unachievable for any system.

Thank you for your reply.

I rarely get 60 fps with TXAA. With FXAA I can keep it above 60 just. It just drops a lot. I can't believe this game still feels unplayable even though I upgraded my PC lol.

playlisting
03-19-2015, 06:25 AM
I rarely get 60 fps with TXAA. With FXAA I can keep it above 60 just. It just drops a lot. I can't believe this game still feels unplayable even though I upgraded my PC lol.

Try capping the FPS to 30. Although it might not be as smooth as 60 as long as it's stable you don't really notice it after the first few minutes. It's much better to have a solid frame rate than a high one at least in my opinion. Assuming you're using the controller you won't lose much responsiveness either - if any at all. With all Unity's bells and whistles turned up you'll feel the benefit of the money you spent and with the capped frame rate you'll no longer feel the judder of dropping frames. Plus your system will run cooler - but with that massive Gigabyte fan I don't think it could be too hot anyway :P

zazally
03-19-2015, 07:12 AM
Try capping the FPS to 30. Although it might not be as smooth as 60 as long as it's stable you don't really notice it after the first few minutes. It's much better to have a solid frame rate than a high one at least in my opinion. Assuming you're using the controller you won't lose much responsiveness either - if any at all. With all Unity's bells and whistles turned up you'll feel the benefit of the money you spent and with the capped frame rate you'll no longer feel the judder of dropping frames. Plus your system will run cooler - but with that massive Gigabyte fan I don't think it could be too hot anyway :P

My graphics card is so cold it is crazy. The highest temperature I get while playing Unity is 54 degrees c. It is amazing. The card is awesome. Sadly this game is just not made properly. Unoptimized piece of sh#$! So disgusting that ubisoft can do something like this. Far Cry 4 runs so much better, but took a few patches lol.

strigoi1958
03-19-2015, 07:27 AM
Games don't come with any guaranteed FPS rate. A tiny minority of people are obsessed with FPS.... and consider all games to be broken unless they meet the mythical figure in their head...

LUR21
03-19-2015, 07:35 AM
I have gtx 980 and a bit lower cpu than you. I had issues with the latest Nvidia drivers after the beta driver 347.09. Try that driver off of nvidia site. I get a pretty close constant 60fps. Drops to 56-57 on some interiors but mostly smooth as. Give it a go. Hope it helps.

zazally
03-19-2015, 07:42 AM
I have gtx 980 and a bit lower cpu than you. I had issues with the latest Nvidia drivers after the beta driver 347.09. Try that driver off of nvidia site. I get a pretty close constant 60fps. Drops to 56-57 on some interiors but mostly smooth as. Give it a go. Hope it helps.

Could you please give me a link? I am new to Nvidia. I have been with AMD for my entire life lol. Thank you!

LUR21
03-19-2015, 08:03 AM
Link for driver

http://www.nvidia.com/download/driverResults.aspx/80913/en-us

you should also get Nvidia Geforce Experience. A good program to help optimise nvidia related games.

Link

http://www.geforce.com/geforce-experience/download

you will have to turn off automatic driver updates through preferences once your in the program.

zazally
03-19-2015, 08:08 AM
Do I need to use driver sweeper and remove my drivers? Or can I just install it? Thank you!

LUR21
03-19-2015, 08:09 AM
Actually before downloading geforce experience just make sure you have your stock GTX 980 driver installed which you already should and download that beta driver and update your stock one with the beta through display adapter in your devices.

LUR21
03-19-2015, 08:18 AM
If you just have the stock driver installed then no you won't need a sweeper. And use FXAA in the game. Even nvidia recommends it.

jeffies04
03-19-2015, 08:39 AM
FXAA is the best in Unity, for FPS and visual clarity. TXAA just is.... I dunno... not as clear in Unity. And I'm a big TXAA fan (TXAA looked amazing in Black Flag).

I'm on a 3770K and on a 980 and with FXAA I do achieve a pretty stable 60. But I want to echo what was said before in this thread.. stable FPS is better than high variable FPS. The most noticable thing is when the FPS jumps, even by a small margin. Capping at 30 is something I have done in the past and would do again if it's jumping.

saschia_009
03-19-2015, 02:25 PM
Maybe I should look somewhere else for the answer but I am lazy - so - can anybody here tell me how to cap the FPS? In the game I can only pick 60 or 50 (not even sure about the 50), and I haven't found anything in nVidia Experience. I only have GTX 760 so even 50 is too high to have stable performance. Thanks!

jeffies04
03-19-2015, 08:16 PM
Maybe I should look somewhere else for the answer but I am lazy - so - can anybody here tell me how to cap the FPS? In the game I can only pick 60 or 50 (not even sure about the 50), and I haven't found anything in nVidia Experience. I only have GTX 760 so even 50 is too high to have stable performance. Thanks!

Download NVIDIA Inspector. When you run it, it will look like a GPU information window, but there's a wrench next to the driver version. Click that. That will open up a window where you can edit all of the different game's NVIDIA profiles. Select ACU and look through it, there is an option to cap the frame rate. Just select 30. It's the best way, in my opinion, because it only caps the framerate for that one single game.

saschia_009
03-19-2015, 08:25 PM
Thanks a lot, jeffies04! :) I'll try it right away.

YazX_
03-20-2015, 01:33 AM
TXAA slashes half of your FPS on high resolution textures, thats Unity and WatchDogs, this is a known issue of TXAA, even Nvidia themselves dont recommend TXAA for this game, and since this game is using high resolution textures, you could simply use DSR and play on higher resolution with FXAA and get alot better result than TXAA with better FPS.

Alternatively, you could enable MFAA in NCP and put AA to 2xMSAA, but i dont believe this game needs more than FXAA, so the DSR option is alot better.

zazally
03-20-2015, 03:56 AM
I appreciate everyone that has replied to this thread. I will just use FXAA.

Frag_Maniac
03-20-2015, 04:11 AM
I rarely get 60 fps with TXAA. With FXAA I can keep it above 60 just. It just drops a lot. I can't believe this game still feels unplayable even though I upgraded my PC lol.Though the game is very demanding as mentioned, what you're describing there is more a case of Nvidia's TXAA not being very well optimized, as is the case with MANY of their graphics features, whether it be PhysX, TXAA, Simulated Fur, or PCSS. Hell, Nvidia couldn't even get HDAO optimized well, which AMD had no trouble with. Which is why they came out with HBAO+, and honestly, it doesn't look quite as good as HDAO. I suspect the same will be true of FaceWorks when they finally get around to attempt using it in games.

Nvidia make great hardware, but I have to wonder why so many devs are seeking their endorsement on games lately. I have to think it's mostly that the 900 series GPUs sold so well.

x___Luffy___x
03-20-2015, 07:55 PM
i have the i7 4790k and 980 too. everything max and with txaa fps is 40-50 ish and its good. also tried 2k with dsr and with fxaa and the fps never drops below 40.
but i prefer 1080p with txaa more. The game has optimization issues as always is no surprise though.