PDA

View Full Version : Untiy Customization

apkosan13ubi
03-19-2015, 12:37 AM
Ubisoft took a huge leap with the customization in Unity, but after a while, I and many of my friends focused less on cosmetics and more on stats. When the perfect armor stats were also the worst aesthetics, we all looked to outfits as our savior. However, there are very few of them to choose from, and they get boring quickly. To solve this problem, I think Ubisoft should add a custom outfit menu. Players can equip any article of clothing they own without changing the stats of their gear. For example, with this system, you can possess all the stats of Legendary Medieval gear with the looks of Arno's Original outfit. Of course, the colors would also shift from actual armor to the custom outfit menu. It would be fantastic is Ubisoft added this in a patch or DLC for Unity, or even Victory. I know this thread will probably never be seen by Ubisoft, much less taken into account and incorporated into a game, but I would be overjoyed if my idea came to life.

Also, we need the Charles Dorian outfit.
https://40.media.tumblr.com/6b9c5c0b7cd706000fbdfaac9c3077de/tumblr_neckfcbawS1tv8xxoo1_500.jpg

UbiVolfbane
03-19-2015, 05:44 PM
Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback. I will pass this along to the team.

ShadoeKat
04-13-2015, 07:47 PM
I will add yes our own color chooser would be good. Would have really liked having a red and black choice in Unity and not just all black. Also the following... choice of hood up or down, choice of mask or no mask, feather or no feather. Basically these super specialty things should be a choice. One of the coolest hoods was the Musketeer one... the feather, not so appealing. Thanks.

Shahkulu101
04-13-2015, 07:57 PM
Honestly they should just keep the customization purely cosmetic but have as many clothing options as Unity did. Playing dress-up, I'm not afraid to admit, was great and I loved all the individual pieces of gear and custom colour schemes. Customization should keep this level of depth in terms of how many aesthetic options you have allowing us to create our perfect assassin look. However, mulling over stats in menus (and skill points but that's OT) is boring and mundane. Not to mention the stats on some of the gear are really silly and game-y, like pants that make you quieter and hoods that increase Eagle Vision. It just didn't fit or work very well IMO.

So, my suggestion would be to keep the amount of cosmetic options Unity had but remove stats from pieces of gear. It takes the fun out of choosing your look. Note that I'm not talking about meaningful stats on weapons here, that worked very well and made sense IMO - the fact that some weapons will be more effective than others is obvious and makes more sense that Super Speed Quiet Pants.

Altair1789
04-13-2015, 08:15 PM
I think they should remove customization completely and just add a lot more legacy outfits (Haytham, Adewale, Arno's novice, tailored, and master assassin robes, Ezio AC2-ACR robes, etc.) Hell, they should even add Charles Dorian's outfit and Shay's Versailles outfit

ShadoeKat
04-13-2015, 08:19 PM
I will agree with allowing more legacy outfits would be nice... I was just thinking today looking at Ezio's early outfit would have been cool to have... the non-master version, shorter... black and red or the white and red. Still want more customization, but some of the best outfits are legacy and we have no access to them.

Shahkulu101
04-13-2015, 08:55 PM
I think they should remove customization completely and just add a lot more legacy outfits (Haytham, Adewale, Arno's novice, tailored, and master assassin robes, Ezio AC2-ACR robes, etc.) Hell, they should even add Charles Dorian's outfit and Shay's Versailles outfit

Where's the fun in that? Having set outfits instead of the freedom to choose is too limited. Legacy outfits are cool, but tbh they're a bit pointless since they don't fit the ancestor - it just feels weird wearing them and doesn't blend with the time period. I understand the stats might be annoying, but if they were to remove that how is there anything negative about having the option to choose your own outfit?

James_100
04-13-2015, 11:21 PM
It would be pretty cool though if the legacy outfits weren't just outfits, but were actual character skins. Ezio's Brotherhood robes aren't complete without that awesome beard.

Anyway, I agree. Stats should be separate from the clothing. It doesn't really bother me since I don't really care too much for the perks they provide, but I definitely understand how this annoys others. Also, yes to Ezio's robes from AC2 being added. They were beautiful.

Altair1789
04-13-2015, 11:52 PM
Where's the fun in that? Having set outfits instead of the freedom to choose is too limited. Legacy outfits are cool, but tbh they're a bit pointless since they don't fit the ancestor - it just feels weird wearing them and doesn't blend with the time period. I understand the stats might be annoying, but if they were to remove that how is there anything negative about having the option to choose your own outfit?

Honestly I can't entirely put to words my hate for customization. Here's what I have so far:

1. The outfits look ugly
2. It seems like they're making the main outfit less detailed and kinda simple-looking
3. It sorta ruins the feeling of the game. I don't like having to equip unfitting pieces of armor or wear an out of place legacy outfit because I hate being detected in 1 second

Overall it just feels weird, which is a bad reason to want the complete removal of a widely liked addition in the series, so if they removed stats I'd ignore customization. By the looks of Victory, #2 probably won't be a problem if there's customization, which might be replaced by the alleged new social stealth mechanics. I still sorta have this idea in my head that they'll use Liberation's outfit mechanic

Shahkulu101
04-14-2015, 08:35 AM
Honestly I can't entirely put to words my hate for customization. Here's what I have so far:

1. The outfits look ugly
2. It seems like they're making the main outfit less detailed and kinda simple-looking
3. It sorta ruins the feeling of the game. I don't like having to equip unfitting pieces of armor or wear an out of place legacy outfit because I hate being detected in 1 second

Overall it just feels weird, which is a bad reason to want the complete removal of a widely liked addition in the series, so if they removed stats I'd ignore customization. By the looks of Victory, #2 probably won't be a problem if there's customization, which might be replaced by the alleged new social stealth mechanics. I still sorta have this idea in my head that they'll use Liberation's outfit mechanic

1. Entirely subjective but point taken. But who's to say the outfits won't be to your taste in all the games?

2. Why would that be because of customization being there? Anyway, Arno's default outfit is great because of it's subtlety IMO, he blends into the time period somewhat (so long as the devs insist on 'iconic' robes this will never happen completely) because it's not overly flashy. I found that Ezio's and Connor's outfits were far too conspicuous and pronounced.

3. Which is why I'm suggestion the removal of stats but the retainment of a breadth of cosmetic options.

Markaccus
04-14-2015, 10:20 AM
The amount of health and hit points has always classically been tied to the armour worn. This made sense in earlier games. However, in later games, with guns and stronger weapons, actual armour became obsolete, so it has become a tad unrealistic to have more health bars just because you are wearing a tweed jacket or a bearskin codpiece.

Having it tied to skill points instead like in Unity makes a bit more sense, as we can imagine that the more skilled arno gets as an assassin, the more endurance he would have, and the more "body hard" he would become. Coats, pants and hoods should not affect health and hit points, but i accept some types of clothes might affect stealth detection (not quietness).

Bracers are actually armour, so it could kind of assist your "parry" capabilites, which i suppose they could reflect in a few "hit points". Increased blade storage is also fair enough. Your belt also should affect ammo and med storage, so i think thats fine too.

The rest of the stats are only increased minimally, so it isnt worth having them at all imo.

Summary:
CERTAIN stealth atributes to be affected by clothing
Ammo storage affected by belts and bracers (which can still have quiet-kill stats too).

The rest isnt important imo

The_Kiwi_
04-14-2015, 11:16 AM
They need to get rid of customisation all together
It contradicts the Animus
Unless Arno actually had access to all that gear when he was alive, then it shouldn't be available
Totally immersion breaking

Shahkulu101
04-14-2015, 11:26 AM
They need to get rid of customisation all together
It contradicts the Animus
Unless Arno actually had access to all that gear when he was alive, then it shouldn't be available
Totally immersion breaking

That's far too uptight IMO. The Animus always takes liberties to improve the user experience, which in real life means the developers decided to add some things that don't make realistic sense for the sake of gameplay. Like...the amount of haystacks there, certain buildings being present that weren't actually built yet and the fact our protagonist can take several hits without dying when of course they couldn't survive such a thing. Issues like that are petty IMO, but there are some things that go too far like the disguise skill which allows you to just morph into a different person altogether - that's a problem but I can forgive things like customization even though it seems implausible that he had all that gear available to him.

Farlander1991
04-14-2015, 12:27 PM
Yeah, Animus has been manipulated ever since the first game. Like eagles on viewpoints - that's Animus. Pigeons in comfortable leap of faith spots - that's Animus. And, well, as Shahk already mentioned - most of the haystacks are Animus as well. Also, ever since the second game we had legacy outfits, having which never really makes sense outside of the Animus. Or Raiden's outfit in ACB.

Animus is actually a very ingenious idea in a way that it's actually hard to find a game mechanic that actually contradicts it, and pretty much all gameplay tropes can be explained by it.

The_Kiwi_
04-14-2015, 12:43 PM
And I don't like any of that
Plenty of haystacks I can live with, because hey, it might have been like that
"animus trickery" pisses me off
They are taking far too many liberties
The realism of the first game was what I liked
And no matter how you twist it, the fact that the "animus trickery" with the customisation actually affects Arno's performance is absolutely ridiculous
No one can explain that

Shahkulu101
04-14-2015, 12:53 PM
And no matter how you twist it, the fact that the "animus trickery" with the customisation actually affects Arno's performance is absolutely ridiculous
No one can explain that

It could possibly be explained by the fact that the Helix is an Abstergo Entertianment product designed to be like a VR video games console for the masses. Abstergo may have tweaked the animus (Helix whatever) experience to be more game-y so that's why you have stats on gear and weapons, skill points etc...

Besides, we've had stats that affect our gear in all the games since AC1. Not ones that make a meaningful difference like in Unity but the Ezio games had weapons and armour which affected performance, AC3 had no armour but had weapon stats and ACIV had armour and weapon stats again. It's just a lot more prominent and focused on but it's always been there.

Markaccus
04-14-2015, 12:57 PM
The only game that remotely followed a linear equipment regime was AC. Even ezio had weapon and armour choices. If we had to stick 100% to the genetic memory, there would be zero choices for anything, including the open ended assasinations, the random fights we get into et.c et.c et.c. This then stops being an open world game.

Farlander1991
04-14-2015, 01:20 PM
No one can explain that

The realism of the first game that said 'resynchronizing' after every non-mandatory fight to show why Altair wasn't killing everybody left and right?
The realism of the first game that increases your 'synchronization' so you could take more hits as you progress the game?
The realism of the first game with glitches inside all cutscenes that you can press to change cinematic angles?
I'm sorry, but despite AC1 being wonderfully designed for absolutely HUD-less gameplay (and I really wish for more of that design principle), Animus still was always an explanation for gameplay tropes.
Health = Animus, mission replay = Animus, etc. etc. All other games follow the same suit.
Everything that has to do anything with player choice is essentially Animus trickery, and the more gameplay elements you provide - the more Animus trickery there is.

Heck, the very gameplay itself is essentially Animus trickery - missing or uncertain data between synchronization points (cutscenes) that we try to wobble through while directly controlling the ancestor.
I think AC comics, novels, shorts and the upcoming movie are more to your taste because those have the absolute minimum of Animus trickery due to their linear nature ;) :p

The_Kiwi_
04-14-2015, 02:30 PM
What you said did not disprove me, nor did it validate any point you tried to make
But maybe I am just looking at it pessimistically

Altair1789
04-14-2015, 09:22 PM
1. Entirely subjective but point taken. But who's to say the outfits won't be to your taste in all the games?

2. Why would that be because of customization being there? Anyway, Arno's default outfit is great because of it's subtlety IMO, he blends into the time period somewhat (so long as the devs insist on 'iconic' robes this will never happen completely) because it's not overly flashy. I found that Ezio's and Connor's outfits were far too conspicuous and pronounced.

3. Which is why I'm suggestion the removal of stats but the retainment of a breadth of cosmetic options.

Yea, you're pretty right about all of this. Like I said, I don't actually have a well thought out and explainable reason to hate customization, a lot of it is opinion based

No one can explain that

I agree that they're taking too many liberties. I really hate that this "surrogate system" now exists

Shahkulu101
04-14-2015, 09:39 PM
^ Ah, I get it. I feel that way about a lot of things tbh... :p