PDA

View Full Version : Assassin's Creed Liberation HD worth it?

M3gaToxic
03-16-2015, 01:52 AM
For so long I have wanted a female Assassin and now I get one but it isn't as long as AC3 or the other games and the graphics...though better then vita could be better. But what I want to know is for 20 dollars is it worth it? Thanks!

Currently enjoying AC3!!

ze_topazio
03-16-2015, 02:11 AM
Is a pretty decent game.

DumbGamerTag94
03-16-2015, 02:27 AM
It's a pretty solid game. Not the greatest game ever so don't expect it to blow you away. But it's pretty good. Definitely one of the best of that category of games that go straight to Download formats rather than hard copy releases.

M3gaToxic
03-16-2015, 02:37 AM
Thanks. So in regards to my question I am assuming from your comments that it is indeed worth 20 dollars. Though if I could somehow get Rogue for that much I would get that.

Namikaze_17
03-16-2015, 03:32 AM
It's alright.

Has its share of pros and cons...

SpiritOfNevaeh
03-16-2015, 04:05 AM
The game is not bad for a handheld-turned-console game.

It has its ups and downs like every other AC game, so go for it :)

Hans684
03-16-2015, 05:47 AM
More than Unity.

M3gaToxic
03-16-2015, 07:35 AM
More than Unity.
Aww Unity wasn't good?

SixKeys
03-16-2015, 09:13 AM
I would wait until it's $10. Liberation is better than AC3, but that's not saying much since both share many of the same flaws.

Farlander1991
03-16-2015, 11:17 AM
Quote from myself.

I really want to like Liberation at least a bit, I really do. It's got Aveline (and I like her) and it's got interesting ideas for sure. But damn.

Not only its story is told in an abrupt and a hard to grasp way (I went through half of the game and still don't quite understand what or why the **** is going on), its missions are painfully short and incredibly linear (from the very beginning... would it be so hard to place just ONE waypoint on the top of the church instead of placing tons of waypoints through the rooftops that you have to precisely touch?). But I would've been able to go through all of that, if the game wasn't just so damn buggy. And a lot of them bugs that forced me to fully restart the game.

EDIT: Oh, the swamp... Aveline can't climb half of the hills properly, and that would've been bearable with tree traversal if she wouldn't consider from time to time tree branches to be walls that can't be used in parkour....

I had more detailed posts too if you're interested, but in short, IMO it's the worst AC game to date.

Fatal-Feit
03-16-2015, 04:25 PM
It's a bad game, even for 20$. I would only recommend picking it up on either the Vita for mobile gaming, to complete your AC collection, or if you need some sort of AC fix.

MorKali1
03-16-2015, 04:42 PM
Not the best AC game, but it is decent In my opinion.

JustPlainQuirky
03-16-2015, 04:45 PM
worst game in franchise by far but buy it if you're a big AC fan. Though keep in mind it's essentially 100% filler

For so long I have wanted a female Assassin

Sexist :rolleyes:

Fatal-Feit
03-16-2015, 05:16 PM
Though keep in mind it's essentially 100% filler

Does that really matter, though? I find it silly that, for certain fans, the developers has come up w/ MD MacGuffins to keep them compelled in the ancestor's adventure.

JustPlainQuirky
03-16-2015, 05:19 PM
Whether it matters or not depends on the person.

It matters to me, but not everyone.

Hence why Im not very attached Liberation and Unity

Im just advising OP in case that is indeed a factor to his/her decision making

SixKeys
03-16-2015, 05:23 PM
Does that really matter, though? I find it silly that, for certain fans, the developers has come up w/ MD MacGuffins to keep them compelled in the ancestor's adventure.

What other reason do we have to be invested in the assassins vs. Templar wars? If all they do is fight in the past for no particular reason other than they just don't like each other, then who cares who won? It happened centuries ago and obviously didn't have much of an impact on the world we currently live in. Modern day MacGuffins provide a reason for us to care, since they imply those artifacts are still being used to fight for world domination today.

Fatal-Feit
03-16-2015, 05:34 PM
What other reason do we have to be invested in the assassins vs. Templar wars? If all they do is fight in the past for no particular reason other than they just don't like each other, then who cares who won? It happened centuries ago and obviously didn't have much of an impact on the world we currently live in. Modern day MacGuffins provide a reason for us to care, since they imply those artifacts are still being used to fight for world domination today.

Well, that's literally it. The Assassins vs Templar war in the past are the incentive. People are intrigued and excited for the ancestor's adventures. It's the meat of the game, the thing the developers market and hype fans with. It's what 95% of the discussions and hype are about. The setting, the history/lore, the gameplay, the protagonist, etc. Many fans were vocal about their distaste of MD's interference w/ the ancestor's story.

JustPlainQuirky
03-16-2015, 05:38 PM
Even so AC has always been about connections. How the past can help with the present. Or how one past connects to another.

So something like Liberation that is very disconnected relevancy-wise can turn off some people

even in black flag where the MD is very minimal, there was at least a sage from the past who showed up in MD
that gave that connecting feel

ze_topazio
03-16-2015, 05:41 PM
There's nothing wrong with side stories.

JustPlainQuirky
03-16-2015, 05:42 PM
there isnt.

though its important to let OP know it is a side story in case not interested

GunnerGalactico
03-16-2015, 05:49 PM
Quote from myself.

I really want to like Liberation at least a bit, I really do. It's got Aveline (and I like her) and it's got interesting ideas for sure. But damn.

Not only its story is told in an abrupt and a hard to grasp way (I went through half of the game and still don't quite understand what or why the **** is going on), its missions are painfully short and incredibly linear (from the very beginning... would it be so hard to place just ONE waypoint on the top of the church instead of placing tons of waypoints through the rooftops that you have to precisely touch?). But I would've been able to go through all of that, if the game wasn't just so damn buggy. And a lot of them bugs that forced me to fully restart the game.

EDIT: Oh, the swamp... Aveline can't climb half of the hills properly, and that would've been bearable with tree traversal if she wouldn't consider from time to time tree branches to be walls that can't be used in parkour....

I had more detailed posts too if you're interested, but in short, IMO it's the worst AC game to date.

^^ Absolutely 100% this

Once I was done with this game, I never went back to it. I didn't even bother completing the side activities and it was too buggy... even more than AC3. On the plus side, at least it had ambient music and canoes. I really like Aveline and she deserved a much better game than this.

SixKeys
03-16-2015, 05:53 PM
Well, that's literally it. The Assassins vs Templar war in the past are the incentive. People are intrigued and excited for the ancestor's adventures. It's the meat of the game, the thing the developers market and hype fans with. It's what 95% of the discussions and hype are about. The setting, the history/lore, the gameplay, the protagonist, etc. Many fans were vocal about their distaste of MD's interference w/ the ancestor's story.

Like I said - why should we care about what happened in the past if it literally doesn't matter in the present day? Why should I care whether the assassins or the Templars won some fight back in 1283? If their fight had no consequences for our modern day, who cares what happened?

The reason we care about history is because it tells us how we got where we are today and how to avoid mistakes of the past. We care about the Allies winning WW2 because we can imagine what life would be like if the Nazis were still in power today. The assassins and Templars are two fictional groups though. If there is no First Civ MacGuffin they're fighting over, they mgiht as well be two clans of soccer fans having a brawl at the local pub. No-one cares who wins because there are no stakes for the rest of us. But if you tell me that the two soccer clubs are fighting over a doomsday device that would allow them to wipe anyone they choose off this planet - now I have a reason to care.

Fatal-Feit
03-16-2015, 05:53 PM
@Quirky

The connection between the past and present day, I get that. I'm not talking about MD, in general. Sorry, may have misinterpreted what you mean by filler, but what I meant was the overarching narrative.

Like I said - why should we care about what happened in the past if it literally doesn't matter in the present day? Why should I care whether the assassins or the Templars won some fight back in 1283? If their fight had no consequences for our modern day, who cares what happened?

The reason we care about history is because it tells us how we got where we are today and how to avoid mistakes of the past. We care about the Allies winning WW2 because we can imagine what life would be like if the Nazis were still in power today. The assassins and Templars are two fictional groups though. If there is no First Civ MacGuffin they're fighting over, they mgiht as well be two clans of soccer fans having a brawl at the local pub. No-one cares who wins because there are no stakes for the rest of us. But if you tell me that the two soccer clubs are fighting over a doomsday device that would allow them to wipe anyone they choose off this planet - now I have a reason to care.

The main argument sort of swayed, and I apologize for that. MacGuffins and the connection between the past and present, they are not my pet peeve here. It's the overarching narrative. Black Flag has the Observatory and Sage, but it's considered a filler which is bad for certain people. I don't agree w/ them. Each game's MD don't have to be connected and revolve around saving the world by stopping an entity like Juno and every next installment is one step closer until the end. We can have MD, the interconnection between both worlds, a MacGuffin, and even saving the world via stopping-a-PoE-from-exploding/etc. These games are going to end when they stop selling so we should assume several more sequels. That's a long way before Juno's demise.

Hans684
03-16-2015, 06:25 PM
Aww Unity wasn't good?

Unity is more filler than Liberation. Unity has good gameplay and an irrelevant story.

M3gaToxic
03-16-2015, 06:40 PM
Interesting. I also saw a post saying AC3 was bad. I just picked up AC3 last week and wow I am ashamed I didn't play it sooner. Having played every AC game up to Black Flag...AC3 is my favorite. Connor IMO is a great character and an interesting one at that. But I am sure there is an AC3 forum somewhere discussing that stuff. Shame there are so many mixed feelings, I love AC but I want to play a female Assassin (and not in the MP of AC brotherhood-blackflag).

GunnerGalactico
03-16-2015, 07:11 PM
Interesting. I also saw a post saying AC3 was bad. I just picked up AC3 last week and wow I am ashamed I didn't play it sooner. Having played every AC game up to Black Flag...AC3 is my favorite. Connor IMO is a great character and an interesting one at that. But I am sure there is an AC3 forum somewhere discussing that stuff. Shame there are so many mixed feelings, I love AC but I want to play a female Assassin (and not in the MP of AC brotherhood-blackflag).

Join the club :p

SixKeys
03-16-2015, 07:11 PM
The main argument sort of swayed, and I apologize for that. MacGuffins and the connection between the past and present, they are not my pet peeve here. It's the overarching narrative. Black Flag has the Observatory and Sage, but it's considered a filler which is bad for certain people. I don't agree w/ them. Each game's MD don't have to be connected and revolve around saving the world by stopping an entity like Juno and every next installment is one step closer until the end. We can have MD, the interconnection between both worlds, a MacGuffin, and even saving the world via stopping-a-PoE-from-exploding/etc. These games are going to end when they stop selling so we should assume several more sequels. That's a long way before Juno's demise.

I haven't seen anyone claim AC4 is filler, maybe our experiences differ then. I don't view any of the recent games as filler because there IS no overarching narrative anymore. The Juno plot is all but abandoned, as evidenced by the intel collected in Unity. First we get a big hoopla about how Juno is supposedly looking to take over a human host, then in ACU we get a missable, completely unimportant file wherein she says "oh, that whole human host idea was dumb, let's not do that". That tells me the devs really don't know or care what to do with her, and are only keeping her around as a precaution so that if the series' popularity starts to falter, they have a few plotholes to draw from to create a sense of ongoing mystery. The same thing happened with Erudito and seems to be happening with Initiates.

Tl;dr there is no such thing as "filler" anymore because the continuity between titles has been abandoned. While that's good for newbies who can jump in at any moment and not have to worry about catching up on the lore, it's bad for series veterans who see little reason to keep buying essentially the same game year after year.

JustPlainQuirky
03-16-2015, 07:14 PM
I haven't seen anyone claim AC4 is filler
*raises hand*

M3gaToxic
03-16-2015, 07:16 PM
Also want to edit to my last post. If you had to choose between Liberation HD and AC3 Season Pass which would you go with? Tyranny of King Washington seems interesting.

SixKeys
03-16-2015, 07:25 PM
*raises hand*

Filler between what and what, exactly?

JustPlainQuirky
03-16-2015, 07:36 PM
progressing the juno saga (which wasnt said to be dropped at the time)

to be fair it was my second AC game ever so I was used to there actually being a modern day

wvstolzing
03-16-2015, 07:52 PM
... Not only its story is told in an abrupt and a hard to grasp way (I went through half of the game and still don't quite understand what or why the **** is going on) ...

Glad to have some expert corroboration on this; I kept thinking that I was too thick to grasp what the deal was with Agate.

By the way, I was expecting the 'modern day' in ACL to be the basic template for the 'new style' that would come into its own in ACU: Abstergo Entertainment shows you their 'version' of events, then an Assassin hacker intervenes, and we get to play how things 'really' played out, etc. I still prefer that approach over what we seem to have now.

SixKeys
03-16-2015, 08:07 PM
progressing the juno saga (which wasnt said to be dropped at the time)

to be fair it was my second AC game ever so I was used to there actually being a modern day

Lolol the Juno "saga"

Aka AC3, plus one cut scene in AC4. :p

(not making fun of you, just Ubi in their handling of what we assumed was going to be an actual saga of some importance)

JustPlainQuirky
03-16-2015, 08:08 PM
Ubi in their handling of what we assumed was going to be an actual saga of some importance

I cri errytiem

SofaJockey
03-16-2015, 09:41 PM
I enjoyed it,
think of it as a nice snack rather than a main meal...

LoyalACFan
03-17-2015, 04:11 AM

I almost always agree with you, but I'm the complete opposite here. IMO the "modern-day MacGuffins" only detract from the story at this point. Back when it was just the Apple, and it was widely assumed/implied that it was of extreme significance across the entirety of time and not just one of two keys to a warehouse (oh my god I still can't get over this) it actually did lend a sense of cohesiveness across all of the time periods in the series. The Apple was the central focus of the entire war for a while, and it connected Altair, Ezio and Desmond in a meaningful way.

But then things started to get stupid. It was no longer just about the Apple, it was about the Staff... then the Memory Seals... then ANOTHER Apple... then Shao Jun's box... then the Grand Temple... then the Shard... then the amulet... then the Observatory... then the apple/sphere/head/whatever the **** it was that Arno found in Franciade. After you realize that the Apple was just one of hundreds of pieces of magical space-god scrap metal that Assassins have regularly been stumbling across for millennia, it's no longer believable that Abstergo & co are scrambling to find clues in history. The First Civ/modern stuff is no longer mysterious, or interesting, or unexpected. It's just a ticked box on the writer's checklist. IMO, AC4 has easily the best and most well-told story in the series, despite barely having any modern/sci-fi content. Revelations comes in second, and literally NOTHING happens in the modern story except Desmond opening his eyes. It made an attempt to add a little backstory and emotional weight, but unfortunately, the modern story immediately took a swan dive into lunacy in the very next installment.

SixKeys
03-17-2015, 07:28 PM
I almost always agree with you, but I'm the complete opposite here. IMO the "modern-day MacGuffins" only detract from the story at this point. Back when it was just the Apple, and it was widely assumed/implied that it was of extreme significance across the entirety of time and not just one of two keys to a warehouse (oh my god I still can't get over this) it actually did lend a sense of cohesiveness across all of the time periods in the series. The Apple was the central focus of the entire war for a while, and it connected Altair, Ezio and Desmond in a meaningful way.

But then things started to get stupid. It was no longer just about the Apple, it was about the Staff... then the Memory Seals... then ANOTHER Apple... then Shao Jun's box... then the Grand Temple... then the Shard... then the amulet... then the Observatory... then the apple/sphere/head/whatever the **** it was that Arno found in Franciade. After you realize that the Apple was just one of hundreds of pieces of magical space-god scrap metal that Assassins have regularly been stumbling across for millennia, it's no longer believable that Abstergo & co are scrambling to find clues in history. The First Civ/modern stuff is no longer mysterious, or interesting, or unexpected. It's just a ticked box on the writer's checklist. IMO, AC4 has easily the best and most well-told story in the series, despite barely having any modern/sci-fi content. Revelations comes in second, and literally NOTHING happens in the modern story except Desmond opening his eyes. It made an attempt to add a little backstory and emotional weight, but unfortunately, the modern story immediately took a swan dive into lunacy in the very next installment.

I don't wanna go all "Pirate's Creed", but AC4's story would have been better without the ties to AC. If you look at the story and strip it of all the sci-fi nonsense, you have a classic hero's journey about a man who starts off greedy and callous but later learns there's more to life than riches and fame. It's better without the assassins and Templars. It's a fun game, but the story is too complicated for its own good and that's because they had to make it an Assassin's Creed game in a pirate setting instead of just investing in a new IP.

The fact that they did tie it into AC means they cannot get away from the sci-fi MacGuffins, because otherwise there's no reason for us to care. The reason AC exists as a franchise spanning across different time periods is the neverending war between two factions, and the reason that war exists is because of the MacGuffins. You cannot have one without the other. It's like trying to remove religion from the war between Palestines and Israelis. It's such an integral part of the reason they keep fighting that eliminating that element out of the equation entirely is impossible. The best thing they can do is work around it.

Farlander1991
03-18-2015, 12:45 AM
It's a fun game, but the story is too complicated for its own good

Huh? ACIV has got like the most straightforward story in the entire series.

The fact that they did tie it into AC means they cannot get away from the sci-fi MacGuffins

There still would've had to be a MacGuffin in Edward's story, and, honestly, if not for the Obbservatory it would've been some overused treasure full of gold trope or something like that. The nature of MacGuffins is irrelevant for the overall plot, but what is important is the driving force. In Edward's case - it's the biggest and most influential treasure in the whole Caribbean, because that's the ultimate representation of his desire that has to exist for the story to work (for Edward to not be satisfied without THAT particular treasure, and for his Shadow, Roberts, to shine while searching for it), or, well, to at least be well constructed and easy to follow and with a concrete goal (as 'riches' is VERY abstract).

I don't think the AC universe hurts ACIV's story. ACIV in fact benefits from it. It's understandable why the MacGuffin is so desirable (its sci-fi capabilities),and the Assassin/Templar war provides some moral fundamentals for Edward to be outside of before he decides to join one of them (which would have to exist in some way anyway).

HDinHB
03-18-2015, 01:08 AM
For so long I have wanted a female Assassin and now I get one but it isn't as long as AC3 or the other games and the graphics...though better then vita could be better. But what I want to know is for 20 dollars is it worth it? Thanks!

Currently enjoying AC3!!

For $10 or $15 I would say sure, but for $20 I would wait for a sale. You don't usually have to wait too long. You don't say what platform you're on, but if you're on PS3, your wait if already over. The Liberation/Freedom Cry bundle is a no-brainer. (The second price is the PS store sale price, the first price is the sale price with the PS+ discount.)

http://www.playstationlifestyle.net/2015/03/17/playstation-store-sales-this-week-include-assassins-creed-franchise-deals/#/slide/1

Assassin’s Creed Freedom Cry – $4.50, $6.00
Assassin’s Creed Liberation + Freedom Cry – $10.00, $12.50
Assassin’s Creed Liberation HD – $6.00, $8.00

SixKeys
03-18-2015, 01:32 AM
Huh? ACIV has got like the most straightforward story in the entire series.

I don't mean complicated as in hard to understand. I mean it could have been simplified further by removing the assassins and Templars out of the picture completely and it would have been a better, tighter story for it. Edward's tie to the assassins is flimsy at best, they could have been any random tribe of natives whom Edward accidentally wronged. The assassins as a faction carry too much unnecessary baggage.

There still would've had to be a MacGuffin in Edward's story, and, honestly, if not for the Obbservatory it would've been some overused treasure full of gold trope or something like that. The nature of MacGuffins is irrelevant for the overall plot, but what is important is the driving force. In Edward's case - it's the biggest and most influential treasure in the whole Caribbean, because that's the ultimate representation of his desire that has to exist for the story to work (for Edward to not be satisfied without THAT particular treasure, and for his Shadow, Roberts, to shine while searching for it), or, well, to at least be well constructed and easy to follow and with a concrete goal (as 'riches' is VERY abstract).

Overused maybe, but realistic. Gold is, after all, still valuable today. The crystal skull was literally pointless in Edward's story, it was never used for anything outside the modern context. So what exactly would be lost by replacing the sci-fi element with classic pirate treasure? The whole Sage thing was contrived as hell and I wish they never went down that path. They wouldn't have to change Roberts' personality for the character to work, just remove the silly bits about him being a reincarnated alien or whatever.

Farlander1991
03-18-2015, 08:51 AM
Overused maybe, but realistic. Gold is, after all, still valuable today.

But we're not speaking of narrative for a movie or a book, but a game. And in the game, we get gold in millions. The treasure that we're after has to be something that can't be replaced by gold, otherwise Edward's drive becomes flimsy - why seek that treasure when we can get the same result by other means?

The crystal skull was literally pointless in Edward's story, it was never used for anything outside the modern context.

MacGuffins are rarely actually used in stories, they're there for the driving purpose. Besides, Edward did use it to find the Templars :p But the point is, by the time he actually gets the Skull, he's already the person who wouldn't want to use it for his own selfish purposes.

SixKeys
03-18-2015, 11:40 AM
But we're not speaking of narrative for a movie or a book, but a game. And in the game, we get gold in millions. The treasure that we're after has to be something that can't be replaced by gold, otherwise Edward's drive becomes flimsy - why seek that treasure when we can get the same result by other means?

Good point, but they could still replace the crystal skulls with something without a sci-fi connection and the plot would work. The only reason we're after the skulls is because Abstergo wants them in modern day, and we can see their importance in a world dominated by secret surveillance. But no-one in Edward's time, not even the Templars, seemed to know what to do with the skulls. They just wanted them, but couldn't really articulate why. Replace the skulls with a simpler treasure, something that makes more sense in the context of that era, and you'd have a nice, simple plot with more time for development of the supporting characters, which was now woefully inadequate due to the fact that we had to take time off to hack computers in modern day.

wvstolzing
03-18-2015, 12:22 PM
Good point, but they could still replace the crystal skulls with something without a sci-fi connection and the plot would work. The only reason we're after the skulls is because Abstergo wants them in modern day, and we can see their importance in a world dominated by secret surveillance. But no-one in Edward's time, not even the Templars, seemed to know what to do with the skulls. They just wanted them, but couldn't really articulate why. Replace the skulls with a simpler treasure, something that makes more sense in the context of that era, and you'd have a nice, simple plot with more time for development of the supporting characters, which was now woefully inadequate due to the fact that we had to take time off to hack computers in modern day.

Blackbeard's blockade of Charleston alone could work as the setting of an interesting story of espionage, deceit, bribery, and so on; and you could still have all the naval warfare, as part of Blackbeard's fleet.

Besides -- all the lore-elements in AC4 were dropped as soon as they were introduced; their relevance at this point is entirely moot.

Also, on the point of game-logic with respect to gathering gold: Does it *have to* be that way, though? In AC2, the player gathers enough Florins that would be considered a *fortune* in real-life Florence at the time --the sum-total of a wealthy person's life savings, in 20 minutes; but that's only because they probably neither did research on what numbers would be reasonable, nor did they tweak the economy accordingly. I don't see why they *can't*, just because this is a game. Similarly in AC4; the most successful pirate of all time, Bart Roberts, probably didn't perform a fraction of Edward's daily exploits. But did every ship *have to* yield *that much* loot? Did all ships *have to* be *that easy* to overtake? I'm not talking simulation-levels of verisimilitude; but the economy *could* work a bit more sensibly without going all boring, if they put a little more thought into it.

SixKeys
03-18-2015, 12:43 PM
Blackbeard's blockade of Charleston alone could work as the setting of an interesting story of espionage, deceit, bribery, and so on; and you could still have all the naval warfare, as part of Blackbeard's fleet.

Besides -- all the lore-elements in AC4 were dropped as soon as they were introduced; their relevance at this point is entirely moot.

Also, on the point of game-logic with respect to gathering gold: Does it *have to* be that way, though? In AC2, the player gathers enough Florins that would be considered a *fortune* in real-life Florence at the time --the sum-total of a wealthy person's life savings, in 20 minutes; but that's only because they probably neither did research on what numbers would be reasonable, nor did they tweak the economy accordingly. I don't see why they *can't*, just because this is a game. Similarly in AC4; the most successful pirate of all time, Bart Roberts, probably didn't perform a fraction of Edward's daily exploits. But did every ship *have to* yield *that much* loot? Did all ships *have to* be *that easy* to overtake? I'm not talking simulation-levels of verisimilitude; but the economy *could* work a bit more sensibly without going all boring, if they put a little more thought into it.

+1

Farlander1991
03-18-2015, 09:23 PM

Unless modern day and past day are intrinsically interconnected and play off each other, and they aren't - past and modern day in AC with some few exceptions were always stand-alone beasts (sadly or luckily, depends on the perspective), misuse of lore in the modern day is irrelevant to the quality of ACIV past day story which should stand on its own. And personally I think it does.

It's not a matter of exact numbers, it's a matter of relativity.

Regardless of what exact numbers you have, if you're going to have a ship upgrade-focused loop like Black Flag does, it's not the number of resources that matters, it's the time and effort required to get the resources for the next upgrade, and the same for how to maximally upgrade the ship (and in BF that takes quite a while, it's got the most balanced economy in the series so far), so in that sense as long as the gameplay loop is balanced, the end result of 200000 reales required for everything or 200 reales required for everything is the same - both will feel like incredibly big sums of money.