PDA

View Full Version : Why is Unity so different.

Iconik-King
03-14-2015, 02:02 PM
The games mechanics feel different to all other AC games. It feels unresponsive and jumps up walls when want him to drop and jumps left when i want him to jump right. Right now i'm doing the mission, starving times and not jumping in the water is near impossible as the controls don't listen to me. I've never had this problem with other AC games but even since the start of this game it's just felt terrible. The combat seems like it's going back on itself as well. I don't understand why they'd ruin something so good. I love all other AC games but i can't get into this and i've had it since release. I guess they're trying to open up to a wider audience with the customisation but again an assassins carrying a massive axe or spear is just stupid in my opinion.

Shahkulu101
03-14-2015, 02:08 PM
By God you're right! Why on Earth would a sequel ever actually change anything?

We demand the same game every year, Ubisoft! :mad:

m4r-k7
03-14-2015, 03:24 PM
The games mechanics feel different to all other AC games. It feels unresponsive and jumps up walls when want him to drop and jumps left when i want him to jump right. Right now i'm doing the mission, starving times and not jumping in the water is near impossible as the controls don't listen to me. I've never had this problem with other AC games but even since the start of this game it's just felt terrible. .

Ill agree with this. The game is super unresponsive and the movement of Arno definitely feels clunky. I do like the combat though. If theres one thing the franchise should take from Unity it is the combat.

Ignacio_796
03-14-2015, 04:21 PM

We demand the same game every year, Ubisoft! :mad:

Yes, a sequel must innovate and change things to have the right to be called a sequel. But when you introduce changes to the mechanics, you have to do it well. The point of innovating is to make things better.

Shahkulu101
03-14-2015, 04:32 PM
Yes, a sequel must innovate and change things to have the right to be called a sequel. But when you introduce changes to the mechanics, you have to do it well. The point of innovating is to make things better.

And you're going to claim that the mechanics of the old games are better?

Ignacio_796
03-14-2015, 05:35 PM
And you're going to claim that the mechanics of the old games are better?

Of course not, but i don't think that Unity has the best mechanics either. Yes, the combat is more challenging, although is also more simplistic and i found it more repetitive (also, enemy guns). Yes, the stealth has been improved, but i also enjoyed the steallth in BF, and because in Unity most of your objectives are inside the buildings, and sometimes (especially in the campaign) you have to go from one wing of the building to the other, the gameplay feels more constrained (not only because this places are more thight but also because inside the buildings you can't use parkour and the lack of options that leads the majority of time to overuse the Phantom Blade).

But the OP is not complaining about Stealh or Combat, he's complaining about the unresponsive controls. AC always had the problem that sometimes your character jumps to a direction you didn't wanted, but in Unity i had this issue more than ever. The parkour and navigation feels more clunkier than before.

cawatrooper9
03-15-2015, 04:56 AM

Now you're just arguing a completely subjective opinion (as most opinions tend to be).

I, and many like me, liked the vast majority of the changes that ACU brought to the series.

Jackdaw951
03-15-2015, 10:52 AM
It's just a matter of getting used to the changes. Once you do, they won't seem unresponsive anymore. AC games have always been like riding a horse, for good reasons (like the complexity of parkour actions). You can use the spurs on a horse or pull on the reins, but the horse will decide the details of how to go about carrying out your wishes. He may refuse too, based on conditions.

After long practice, I find Unity has the best movement mechanics yet in the series. The problems are far outweighed by what they got right. But if you try to play Unity's parkour as if it were Black Flag's, you will hate it.

Ignacio_796
03-15-2015, 12:41 PM
Now you're just arguing a completely subjective opinion (as most opinions tend to be).

I, and many like me, liked the vast majority of the changes that ACU brought to the series.

Again, i didn't say that ALL of the changes in Unity were bad. In my second post i said that they can be improved and that the OP is not complaining about the Stealth or Combat, he's just complaining about the movement and navigation, which (in my opinion, of course), feels more clunkier than ever.
Yes, when I give an opinion based of my own experience with the game, i'm giving it from a subjective point of view. I didn't enjoyed the combat because the lack of option or variety, stealth because the enemy IA and the overuse of Phantom Blades and the parkour because the unresponsive controls. But of course, this is just my opinion

playlisting
03-15-2015, 04:38 PM

I think he means why are the controls so clunky when all the other ACs had quick, responsive movement.

I agree with this. I started playing Unity again yesterday and the controls do feel a bit... slow. It's not bad when you're just moving around the city - but if you're in a spot where you need to be able to do parkour quickly and without fault the game wavers a bit. It's due to input lag as far as I can tell - there is definitely a tiny delay between when you press the button and when the game recognises it. Not so great in a sticky situation.

Unrelated side note: When you're running around on the rooftops and see a window in front you want to jump into - how do you do it? I always seem to end up on a ledge either next to or above the window which isn't very helpful.

Ignacio_796
03-15-2015, 11:39 PM
Unrelated side note: When you're running around on the rooftops and see a window in front you want to jump into - how do you do it? I always seem to end up on a ledge either next to or above the window which isn't very helpful.

I always press the jump button (in my case space, but if you play on console maybe is the X button), and i always jump inside the building. Maybe you have to center the camera in the window before jumping.

NeoMorph WTH
03-17-2015, 02:15 AM
Ill agree with this. The game is super unresponsive and the movement of Arno definitely feels clunky. I do like the combat though. If theres one thing the franchise should take from Unity it is the combat.

The swordplay would be OK if you didn't yet shot all the damned time. I finally gave up and uninstalled Unity today because every time I got into a decent swordfight some enemy would shoot me through a bunch of his friends... usually after Arno freezes up. Go to run away and he freezes and turns round ready for a sword in the gut.

I thoroughly loved Black Flag. I absolutely HATE Unity because of the clunky combat. Ubisoft rushed both Watch Dogs and Unity before they were ready. Unity is the first AC I haven't finished and that sucks. In fact the whole franchise feels like bloatware these days.

TO_M
03-18-2015, 12:56 AM
The only thing that Ubi changed for Unity that is still actively bothering me is the fact they removed the gentle push button. It's so annoying not having a simple way to go through npcs.

I've been toying around in the La Touche assassination and it's really annoying everytime I see Arno bashing his way through civilians, especially since all the other AC's before had the gentle push.

Arno would not be able to get past the Ac1 tutorial when you have to get past the chicks with vases on their heads because of his blunt way of charging through npc's

playlisting
03-18-2015, 03:54 AM
The only thing that Ubi changed for Unity that is still actively bothering me is the fact they removed the gentle push button.

It does it itself whenever you walk through crowds.

TO_M
03-18-2015, 06:51 PM
It does it itself whenever you walk through crowds.

It's not the same

ninja4hire10
03-18-2015, 10:30 PM
A shot in the dark here, but maybe some of your issue with the clunky mechanics has to do with actually using the parkour control? A little clearer: in the older games, running toward an object...say, a fence...yielded an automatic character response, usually a jump to the top of the fence. With Unity's revamped controls, pressing the parkour button (in my case, Circle) shows a very fluid and un-clunky parkour move, either a jump or a vault. Gotta say, I've experienced zero unresponsiveness wearing that Circle button out...