PDA

View Full Version : The tragic state of modern day

JustPlainQuirky
03-13-2015, 03:09 PM
and im not talking about the lack of MD this time. Im just talking about the assassin/templar situation in MD in general.

I originally posted this in the tumblr thread but felt it made a strong enough statement to warrant discussion

https://41.media.tumblr.com/eca6393188de9b15e7c6a6fcfdc7e9a5/tumblr_nl1hqxK03e1rs8qebo1_500.jpghttps://41.media.tumblr.com/5a01df9f8151e0dc9a10a36b7f48a054/tumblr_nl1hqxK03e1rs8qebo2_500.jpg
https://40.media.tumblr.com/a90139825378c7555cc7f985499c39bb/tumblr_nl1hqxK03e1rs8qebo3_500.jpghttps://41.media.tumblr.com/643b8aec6676cc5e41603f9ec75cd1ea/tumblr_nl1hqxK03e1rs8qebo4_500.jpg

it really shows just how minuscule things have become (at least in terms of what we've been exposed to) in the MD

what are your thoughts on this assessment? do you disagree? agree? concerns/hopes for future MD status?

kudos to graphitedoll on tumblr for making this.

Farlander1991
03-13-2015, 03:20 PM
I think Desmond's saga has made the MD story too epic for its own good. I mean, we're saving the ****ing world. From dying horribly. Of a natural disaster.

Now everything that's really localized, or more about moral damage rather than personal damage (for example, Otso's goal was essentially to beat down the Assassins' morale) might feel too bleak or boring in comparison.

And it's a shame too, because, IMO, the premise of the Satellite launch that was introduced in AC1 (and, well, that was the part of the actual Assassin/Templar conflict from AC1) was more interesting than anything related to the end of the world (though still a global plan, it's not THAT epic), and could lead to much more interesting storylines in the future. Instead, it was moved to the background, and ended with an e-mail saying 'oh yeah and this is not happening anymore, k'.

JustPlainQuirky
03-13-2015, 03:24 PM
It's not even just the end of the world thing tho.

The satellite launch is intriguing as you say.

As is the abstergo blood donation conspiracy hinted at in AC4.

Or the search for the skull PoE to spy on people.

Problem is these interesting conspiracies are dropped in favor of Abstergo Entertainment movies, unprogressive brief juno cameos and threatening emails with a shay cormac video attached to them.

The abstergo movie thing was somewhat interesting in the sense of brainwashing but none of this stuff is delved upon whatsoever. It's all background stuff that we never see the effects on.

So all we're seeing is "ermagerd those other guize suck. we'll show 'em" on both sides

It literally feels like an immature turf war between two groups of teenagers.

VestigialLlama4
03-13-2015, 04:26 PM
I think Desmond's saga has made the MD story too epic for its own good. I mean, we're saving the ****ing world. From dying horribly. Of a natural disaster.

Well, I personally didn't care for that plot, since it's a basic disaster movie set-up. But it does give the MD Assassins a definite victory. They can say they saved the world, sure it came at a price but they won for sure. I personally would like a more light-hearted modern day story, and not go in for doom and gloom all the time (leave that for the historical part). I mean that's why I liked the Black Flag MD, it was a nice relax from the previous games, it was a genuinely funny parody of video games and it became pretty spooky at the end. But then ROGUE removed all that charm with boring Templar 1 and 2 and ruined that set-up too.

And it's a shame too, because, IMO, the premise of the Satellite launch that was introduced in AC1 (and, well, that was the part of the actual Assassin/Templar conflict from AC1) was more interesting than anything related to the end of the world (though still a global plan, it's not THAT epic), and could lead to much more interesting storylines in the future. Instead, it was moved to the background, and ended with an e-mail saying 'oh yeah and this is not happening anymore, k'.

The only MD element I liked from the first games was Subject 16 and the Bleeding Effect. To me the Bleeding Effect was never really dealt with and they should make a game entirely around that.

Sorrosyss
03-13-2015, 04:43 PM
I agree that the MD has taken a stepback, but I like to think that there is still a theme developing here. I think we have to take Darby at his word when he said that there was a whole Juno storyline cut. In the end, that is our disaster scenario now. Desmond traded one, for letting the demon out of the box.

The search for the sages, the background machinations of the Instruments, mass entertainment using the Animus headsets plugging everyone into the grey, the phoenix project - it all leads to the return of Juno. It may have been dragged out over several games, often in tiny amounts, but I feel pretty strongly that is where we are heading.

I guess the next question would be what would happen with the factions? Would the Templars fall in with her goal for order? Would Eve return (or her descendant) repeating history and freeing humanity - with the aid of the Assassins? The potential is definitely there.

Namikaze_17
03-13-2015, 04:59 PM
Would the Templars fall in with her goal for order?

No, they wouldn't really.

Otherwise, they're like those mindless slaves who served the First Civ.

People may disagree with our ways, but we serve no one but ourselves.

Would Eve return (or her descendant) repeating history and freeing humanity - with the aid of the Assassins? The potential is definitely there.

( Krillin's voice) "GALINA! WHERE ARE YOU?!"

RADAR__4077
03-13-2015, 05:36 PM
It really is sad.

I always liked having strong motivation for using the animus.

First being abducted and forced into it against your will, then finding out that all of these unrelated people spanning continents and centuries would have their bloodlines come together in one person as part of a greater plan.

That is what made the series so epic in my mind, along with witnessing and influencing events in history.

The cartoon sums up the md, and unity was extremely disappointing with history.

You get a few glimpses of historic events, but you have no effect on them for the most part. You happen to be in the area as you are looking for reve- excuse me, "redemption."

JustPlainQuirky
03-13-2015, 06:32 PM
The search for the sages, the background machinations of the Instruments, mass entertainment using the Animus headsets plugging everyone into the grey, the phoenix project - it all leads to the return of Juno. It may have been dragged out over several games, often in tiny amounts, but I feel pretty strongly that is where we are heading

most of what you've listed occurs behind closed doors and we have seen little to nothing of

Sorrosyss
03-14-2015, 02:52 AM
most of what you've listed occurs behind closed doors and we have seen little to nothing of

Well, you could say the same of the solar flare in AC3. Very few of the characters actually seemed to know it was happening. Yet we, as the player, saw the hints through successive titles before. I feel Ubisoft is repeating the same trick here.

I think it's news to no-one that Unity had little modern day. But amidst those short scenes, they elected to reveal an important document once you enlisted with the assassin cause.

Namely, they elected to spend a full two minutes telling you about the Phoenix Project. How they will map the triple helix. It is not the most subtle of foreshadowing, for the return of First Civilisation DNA. And in turn, I'm guessing a synthetic cloned body for Juno.

The writers went out of their way to emphasise this scene to the fan base, at least that's how I see it.

Altair1789
03-14-2015, 03:03 AM
"numbskull numbskull numbskull numbskull numbskull numbskull numbskull"

that's about right

JustPlainQuirky
03-14-2015, 03:04 AM
Well, you could say the same of the solar flare in AC3. Very few of the characters actually seemed to know it was happening. Yet we, as the player, saw the hints through successive titles before. I feel Ubisoft is repeating the same trick here.

ac3 dropped the ball too

and i dont care about any stupid Phoenix project hype until i actually see something happen in-game

tired of this behind the scenes oh-its-super-cool-i-bet-you-wish-you-were-here-to-see-it bull