PDA

View Full Version : AC Unity - Debating buying it

Diagna
03-13-2015, 01:50 AM
First off, I'm currently enjoying Assassin's Creed Rogue, and I've stareted watching a walkthrough of Unity to see what its like and have already taken a liking to its story. I like Rogue, but Unity's story feels more immersive to be for some reason. Part of it may be that I am more akin to Assassins than Templars. Regardless, I find that I think I would greatly enjoy playing Unity if it has come so far as to be playable on PC. So, do you think the game might be able to be in a playable state now, or will be in the future?

And one final question, I got the Deluxe Edition of Rogue, and I think I heard about a Gold Edition for AC Unity, is this available for purchase on the Uplay store as well?

YazX_
03-13-2015, 02:07 AM
well it depends, Unity has changed alot in the core mechanics of the game, some didnt like those changes and others welcomed it, i cannot advise you based on that since some changes are not widely accepted so it varies between gamers, however, i can give you some advises on performance and bugs, currently Unity doesnt have except very minor bugs and wont affect your gameplay and it just affects the minority, all major issues have been fixed, according to performance, Unity has high resolution textures and great jump into graphical level compared to previous games and other games, it offers a great level of details but you need a powerful hardware to handle the game, so make sure to check min and recommended specs.

All in all, the game is massive and there are tons of things to do, its fun and has co-op (if you are a fan of co-op) , anyway, the major changes are parkour (most agree, excellent in this game), combat (mixed opinions, personally i dont like it and it broke the game for me), stealth (ability to crouch , also mixed opinions, personally its useless for me since i dont like stealth) , so focus on those things when watching any YT vid to make up your mind.

About Unity Gold Edition, no its no longer available since Gold Edition is "Base Game + Season Pass", and season pass has been discontinued by Ubisoft but any DLC content released will be available for purchase separately.

strigoi1958
03-13-2015, 02:17 AM
Also check your PC can run it

Diagna
03-13-2015, 02:19 AM
Well, I have a 2.8 GHz Quad-Core processor which is .2 GHz beneath the Minimum, and I have 4 Gigs of Memory on a single stick of Rip Jaws Memroy that is either DDR3 or DDR5, I can't remember which. I'm thinking if I increase my Systems pagefile size by 2-3 gigs of memory, that might compensate enough, and my videocard is a bit dated. Its a Radeon HD 5570, but I can overclock it by about 700-900 MHz and the Memory cloocck by 650 MHz, both of these via MSI Afterburner, and I have a large case fan known as Thor that I am using now, it has l lots of fans in it, so if ever my system might start running hot, cooling wouldn't be a problem. So, I'm hoping these details will make me not have to buy another memory stick and new viideocard just yet.

topeira1980
03-13-2015, 08:54 AM
first and foremost - i think your system is far below the minimum. too far to run the game well.
though i am no expert. maybe there is someone out there that runs Unity with similar specs that can tell me im wrong.
im ever so slightly below the minimum yet i can run the game fine on HIGH, so.... i can't vouch for your specs....
they seem too low though....

besides that - i agree with yaz_X -

there are some changes to the core mechanics and its up to the individual to decide if he likes these changes.

since i posted an answer to a similar question on another thread here, im gonna paste the answer from the other thread , here:

i find unity to be my all time favorite AC game.

mechanically its the best, IMO. in terms of gameplay is is more open ended. you can say its repetitive in how most missions are the same (find the guy however you like, kill him however you like, get out) but i prefer to have the freedom than to be scripted in a mission that i can only play in one way. Unity has more replayability in its mission design so its fun replying them later.
also it has plenty of side content - the paris story missions are plenty and most are pretty fun (if you enjoy the mechanics, of course). coop missions can be done with others or solo. even though they are really hard done solo i loved going at them alone.

technically i have an AMD system and it is slightly below minimum and at 1680X1050 it runs really well on HIGH settings and looks fantastic. it took a bloody month until AMD released their drivers that made the game playable but since that driver i had no issues with the game.

the most important thing you need to know about unity is that it is unlike other AC games - its pretty hard. if you go at it with the older AC mentality of "oh well, i was spotted so i will just fight my way through" than you will die a lot. if what u want is to feel like a war machine than you will be let down. in ACU you are NOT meant to fight more than 5 enemies simultaneously. you CAN, but it isnt easy. there are plenty of ways for running away from a fight, just dont stick around to kill everyone.
i read quit a few ppl who were upset by the fact that they can no longer kill even 10 enemies in one fight.
personally - i love it like that.
also note that a lot of the tools and moves previous assassins could pull off are gone. combat is simpler now, yet better balanced. (my opinion)

again - unity has its downsides but its my favorite AC game to date thanks to a more open ended mission structure, wonderful visuals and more balanced gameplay over all.

regarding story - dont hold your breath for unity's story to become good. most dont like it. it has very little to do with assassins and templars. it's more about a guy that for no good reason (other than shallow predictable personal ones) joins the assassins and follow them for no good reason. the story in Unity isnt good. also it's hard to follow because a lot of it is conveyed through flashbacks you see when you kill a target, but other than that - it's really well made, wonderful cutscenes, great acting, but not good story arc.
personally i play games for gameplay, not story, so while i didnt fancy the story - i also didnt care.

siralex1986
03-13-2015, 03:56 PM
I suggest you to read here as well: http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/1028573-Negativity-around-Unity

It's a very similar topic, I personally wrote my opinion there!

Alias1001
03-13-2015, 09:37 PM
Well, I have a 2.8 GHz Quad-Core processor which is .2 GHz beneath the Minimum, and I have 4 Gigs of Memory on a single stick of Rip Jaws Memroy that is either DDR3 or DDR5, I can't remember which. I'm thinking if I increase my Systems pagefile size by 2-3 gigs of memory, that might compensate enough, and my videocard is a bit dated. Its a Radeon HD 5570, but I can overclock it by about 700-900 MHz and the Memory cloocck by 650 MHz, both of these via MSI Afterburner, and I have a large case fan known as Thor that I am using now, it has l lots of fans in it, so if ever my system might start running hot, cooling wouldn't be a problem. So, I'm hoping these details will make me not have to buy another memory stick and new viideocard just yet.

Don't even bother. I had much better prior specs then you and could barley run Unity. The turning point for me was a major hardware upgrade video card most of all. There are NO magic tweaks fixes page files or things to be able to run unity but pure "Brute Power" You must beat Unity down until it begs to run on YOUR computer. It is absolutely one of the most beautiful and enjoyable games I have ever played and is truly a next gen experience. That being said the hardware demands that "Next Gen" attitude aswell.

Prior "barly playing specs"
AMD FX 8320 3.5 GHz
GTX 650 ti boost
DDR3 12GB 1200 mhz

"Flying threw Maxed out settings spec"
AMD FX 8320 4.0 GHz OC
GTX 970 FTW
16GB DDR3 1600 mhz

topeira1980
03-13-2015, 10:39 PM
i will just say thta my GPU is a R9 280 and on 1680X1050 i run ACU fine on HIGH.
my CPU is i7 3.4ghz
8gb ram

Lignjoslav
03-14-2015, 12:44 AM
D, I'm sorry to say this, but the game won't run acceptably on your PC. I had a Phenom II X4 @ 3.2GHz, 4GB RAM and a Radeon 6950 2GB. At 1366*768 and low textures (which really look awful, BTW), the game was just barely playable, sometimes dipping below 20fps.