PDA

View Full Version : Assassin's Creed 3 and GTX 970

MiniOverKill
03-12-2015, 11:52 AM
So I just bought AC3 deluxe edition, everything maxed at 1920x1200 and the fps was a steady 60 until I got to Boston, now its 30-50fps and this is with my GTX970?!?
Are there any fixes for this? DSR, SweetFX, reghacks, MSI afterburner? Anything? Or is the game just plain broken and Ubisoft just never got around to fixing it?

Any and all tips would be appreciated.

strigoi1958
03-12-2015, 01:32 PM
Certainly.... what is broken ? you say you can play the game... but you are obsessed with a little number in the corner of your screen. I suggest you buy (or "borrow" from work) a pad of "stickit" notes (or if you are creative cut a little piece of paper big enough to cover the FPS display from whatever program you run... Now write with a felt marker 60FPS and either use the stickit or sellotape the paper over the offending "broken" display and voila you can play AC3 perfectly :D

The game is not broken ... you think it is, because you are under the misconception that your pc components entitle you to a set amount of fps.

Anykeyer
03-12-2015, 01:52 PM
Are there any fixes for this?
Yes. good CPU.

MiniOverKill
03-12-2015, 02:33 PM
Yes. good CPU.

I have a i7 2600K overclocked so my CPU can not be a bottleneck.

MiniOverKill
03-12-2015, 02:35 PM
Certainly.... what is broken ? you say you can play the game... but you are obsessed with a little number in the corner of your screen. I suggest you buy (or "borrow" from work) a pad of "stickit" notes (or if you are creative cut a little piece of paper big enough to cover the FPS display from whatever program you run... Now write with a felt marker 60FPS and either use the stickit or sellotape the paper over the offending "broken" display and voila you can play AC3 perfectly :D

The game is not broken ... you think it is, because you are under the misconception that your pc components entitle you to a set amount of fps.

Yeah, because screen tearing all over the place and FPS fluctuating violently makes for a great game experiance?!

UbiVolfbane
03-12-2015, 04:03 PM
Please try verifying the game files as well as lowering in-game graphical settings to see if it helps. If it continues, please submit your msinfo and dxdiag so we may look into this for you. You can attach the files to a Support ticket here via "My Questions" here: https://support.ubi.com.

Mr_Shade
03-12-2015, 04:08 PM
Yeah, because screen tearing all over the place and FPS fluctuating violently makes for a great game experiance?!

If the above solution doesn't help [about settings etc] - you can also consider locking the frame rate - [using Vsync or a 3rd party software ] - that will remove screen tearing and the FPS jumps.

Lignjoslav
03-12-2015, 04:43 PM
I have a i7 2600K overclocked so my CPU can not be a bottleneck.But it is. Not because the CPU is weak, it's because of the way that the game is coded. It puts almost all of its mathematical calculations on the same core and that's why in some places even the strongest CPUs struggle a little. If your CPU wasn't overclocked, you'd be getting drops below 30fps. It's that well optimized. It's also the second buggiest game of the series.

MiniOverKill
03-12-2015, 04:54 PM
Please try verifying the game files as well as lowering in-game graphical settings to see if it helps. If it continues, please submit your msinfo and dxdiag so we may look into this for you. You can attach the files to a Support ticket here via "My Questions" here: https://support.ubi.com.

Whats the point? Iīm not expecting this to get fixed by Ubisoft, I was more looking for a solution from the community
I have verified the files and I have reinstalled the game 3 times on 3 different drives one of which was a SSD.
Reducing the in-game settings make no difference what so ever on the FPS in Boston

MiniOverKill
03-12-2015, 04:55 PM
But it is. Not because the CPU is weak, it's because of the way that the game is coded. It puts almost all of its mathematical calculations on the same core and that's why in some places even the strongest CPUs struggle a little. If your CPU wasn't overclocked, you'd be getting drops below 30fps. It's that well optimized. It's also the second buggiest game of the series.

So no point in buying a new CPU then since no new CPUīs will make a difference?

MiniOverKill
03-12-2015, 04:57 PM
If the above solution doesn't help [about settings etc] - you can also consider locking the frame rate - [using Vsync or a 3rd party software ] - that will remove screen tearing and the FPS jumps.

Yes I can lock the framerate to say 30 FPS but should I really have to 2015 with a GTX 970 and a 3 year old game?

Lignjoslav
03-12-2015, 05:25 PM
I very much doubt it would. It's highly dependent on single threaded performance and you've got an OCed i7, which is about as good as it gets. If I remember to try it later tonight, I'll post how it runs on a 4.4GHz Haswell to see if refreshed architecture makes a difference (I've only been playing AC III multiplayer since I got the i7, which is pretty undemanding).

MiniOverKill
03-12-2015, 05:28 PM
I very much doubt it would. It's highly dependent on single threaded performance and you've got an OCed i7, which is about as good as it gets. If I remember to try it later tonight, I'll post how it runs on a 4.4GHz Haswell to see if refreshed architecture makes a difference (I've only been playing AC III multiplayer since I got the i7, which is pretty undemanding).

I havenīt even tried the MP part in AC3, I take it there are no performance problems with that?

Lignjoslav
03-12-2015, 06:07 PM
No problems with MP. It uses the old engine (the same one as Brotherhood).

I gave single player a little spin. I loaded Sequence 2 Mission 1 and the lowest I saw was 43fps. Most of the time it was 50-60. That's at 1920x1080, maxed out except for AA (there's a bug, Very High causes graphics corruption, so I'm using high)

Lignjoslav
03-12-2015, 10:27 PM
An update: I decided to run the same sequence with AA on Very high (despite the corruption) to match your settings. The framerate dipped to 37 for a brief moment during the introductory cutscene. Other than that, it was mostly hovering between 45 and 55 in that area

strigoi1958
03-13-2015, 01:27 AM
Yes I can lock the framerate to say 30 FPS but should I really have to 2015 with a GTX 970 and a 3 year old game?

if it bothers you so much that the fps drop then YES... or turn off the software that monitors your FPS.

Anykeyer
03-13-2015, 08:26 AM
But it is. Not because the CPU is weak, it's because of the way that the game is coded. It puts almost all of its mathematical calculations on the same core and that's why in some places even the strongest CPUs struggle a little. If your CPU wasn't overclocked, you'd be getting drops below 30fps. It's that well optimized. It's also the second buggiest game of the series.

Im yet to see any drops below 50fps with 4770, usually its stable 60 even in Boston (with no DSR ofc).

(I've only been playing AC III multiplayer since I got the i7, which is pretty undemanding).
In fact it is more CPU demanding than SP. And the weirdest part - it depends on resolution. When I tried DSR 4x in MP I got 15-20fps (vs 30-35 in SP) and 100% loaded single core (that almost never happens in SP). This doesnt happen in ACB and ACR MP through...

MiniOverKill
03-13-2015, 12:50 PM
if it bothers you so much that the fps drop then YES... or turn off the software that monitors your FPS.

Iīm not complaining just to complain, I see and feel a significant difference in the game between 30 and 60 FPS, I donīt even have the counter on and I see the difference.