PDA

View Full Version : Forgotten Battles - AEP on console ? Say it ain't so.

Capt._Tenneal
05-10-2004, 11:43 AM
From a Gamespot.com article :

"Apex Digital has today announced the finalized specifications for its ApeXtreme (pronounced Apex Extreme) DVD player, personal video recorder, and PC game console. The ApeXtreme is currently scheduled for release this spring and is expected to retail for $499. The price is a little higher than the $399 that was originally announced at the Consumer Electronics Show (CES) in January, but Apex has since added Personal Video Recording (PVR) functionality to the console, thus allowing users to pause and rewind "live" TV shows or record them to the hard drive for later viewing.

At the heart of the ApeXtreme will be AMD's Athlon XP2000+ processor chip, while the console's video capabilities will be supplied by Nvidia's nForce2 IGP graphics processor. 3D graphics will come courtesy of an Nvidia GeForce4 MX graphics card. The console comes with a Biostar motherboard, a 40GB hard drive, and 256MHz of DDR SDRAM. Component, composite, S-video, scale up video, and digital video (DVI) outputs will all be featured on the ApeXtreme console, along with 5.1 Dolby Digital audio support.

"By creating the first game console that will play PC games and combining it with a full-featured DVD player and a personal video recorder, Apex is defining a new product category," said Apex President Steve Brothers. "And just like with all of our other products, we want to provide the best technology at a price that makes sense to the average consumer. Working with AMD, Nvidia, and Biostar allows us to do that."

There are already thousands of PC games available that can be played on the ApeXtreme, which uses the "Drop & Play" engine developed by Digital Interactive System Corporation (DISC). Perhaps the most impressive feature of the ApeXtreme, DISC's engine will allow gamers to play PC games without needing to wait for them to be installed and booted up."

Has anyone heard of this ? There are actually two companies putting out "PC consoles" like this (I forgot the name of the other one). I'm curious how they'll be able to pull this off. With a GeForce 4 MX, also, it doesn't look like we'll be seeing Perfect settings on this one. http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Capt._Tenneal
05-10-2004, 11:43 AM
From a Gamespot.com article :

"Apex Digital has today announced the finalized specifications for its ApeXtreme (pronounced Apex Extreme) DVD player, personal video recorder, and PC game console. The ApeXtreme is currently scheduled for release this spring and is expected to retail for $499. The price is a little higher than the $399 that was originally announced at the Consumer Electronics Show (CES) in January, but Apex has since added Personal Video Recording (PVR) functionality to the console, thus allowing users to pause and rewind "live" TV shows or record them to the hard drive for later viewing.

At the heart of the ApeXtreme will be AMD's Athlon XP2000+ processor chip, while the console's video capabilities will be supplied by Nvidia's nForce2 IGP graphics processor. 3D graphics will come courtesy of an Nvidia GeForce4 MX graphics card. The console comes with a Biostar motherboard, a 40GB hard drive, and 256MHz of DDR SDRAM. Component, composite, S-video, scale up video, and digital video (DVI) outputs will all be featured on the ApeXtreme console, along with 5.1 Dolby Digital audio support.

"By creating the first game console that will play PC games and combining it with a full-featured DVD player and a personal video recorder, Apex is defining a new product category," said Apex President Steve Brothers. "And just like with all of our other products, we want to provide the best technology at a price that makes sense to the average consumer. Working with AMD, Nvidia, and Biostar allows us to do that."

There are already thousands of PC games available that can be played on the ApeXtreme, which uses the "Drop & Play" engine developed by Digital Interactive System Corporation (DISC). Perhaps the most impressive feature of the ApeXtreme, DISC's engine will allow gamers to play PC games without needing to wait for them to be installed and booted up."

Has anyone heard of this ? There are actually two companies putting out "PC consoles" like this (I forgot the name of the other one). I'm curious how they'll be able to pull this off. With a GeForce 4 MX, also, it doesn't look like we'll be seeing Perfect settings on this one. http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Zen--
05-10-2004, 11:47 AM
I don't know about perfect settings, but the concept is pretty interesting. No installation required? Now thats neat http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

-Zen-

Capt._Tenneal
05-10-2004, 12:03 PM
From what I understand, once the console is hooked up to the net (I presume they recommend with a broadband connection), the machine checks the main site and downloads installation instructions for games periodically, so that all the user will do is pop in the installation CD and the console pretty much takes over following the downloaded instructions. Now, how it will handle installations that require CD switching, like FB/AEP I don't know.

TgD Thunderbolt56
05-10-2004, 12:09 PM
PCGamer has an extensive article about this piece of hardware in its most recent issue. I'll likely never relinquish my true PC in lieu of one of these, but i'd almost rather get one of these for my family instead of the...*gulp*...PS2/Gamecube they currently enjoy gaming on.

http://home.earthlink.net/~aclzkim1/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/il2sig2.jpg