PDA

View Full Version : tiger vib is one tough tank

buggggggged
01-03-2004, 01:46 PM
I made a mission with about 20 tigers lined up so I could not miss and I tried all the big guns to no avail. no guns had any affect, just lots of sparks. big guns and cannons on the il2, p39, yak 9k, 109's 108's, nothing. bombs worked ok, and only the rs 132 rockets worked with dirrect hits only. surprizingly the 96 ptab 2.5 worked great. lots of fun, I put a static camers next to the tanks and watched on track I saved.

buggggggged
01-03-2004, 01:46 PM
I made a mission with about 20 tigers lined up so I could not miss and I tried all the big guns to no avail. no guns had any affect, just lots of sparks. big guns and cannons on the il2, p39, yak 9k, 109's 108's, nothing. bombs worked ok, and only the rs 132 rockets worked with dirrect hits only. surprizingly the 96 ptab 2.5 worked great. lots of fun, I put a static camers next to the tanks and watched on track I saved.

BadKnight1
01-03-2004, 02:00 PM
YOu have to hit them from the rear where the armor is weakest

blabla0001
01-03-2004, 02:02 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by BadKnight1:
YOu have to hit them from the rear where the armor is weakest<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You mean from above.
The top armor is even thinner then the rear armor, waaaaaaaay thinner even.

christopher65
01-03-2004, 03:36 PM
Being a bit of a tank man myself I am interested in the way tanks are portrayed in fb.Youve got to remember that the frontal armour on a Tiger 1 was 150mm thick!! A 6pounder shell bounced off from close range! A 20mm cannon shell will have no affect.Like the previous reply said the deck or rear is the place.A 5000lb bomb from a Pe8 aslo does the trick!

georgeo76
01-03-2004, 04:37 PM
PTAB is awesome for convoys! will shred everything

http://webpages.charter.net/Stick_Fiend/images/buck2.gif
"I don't think it's quite fair to condemn a whole program because of a single slip-up. "
Fiend's Wings (http://webpages.charter.net/Stick_Fiend)

fabianfred
01-03-2004, 04:55 PM
in my big tank battle mission 'smolebnsk surprise', i put one of the static cameras right on top of a russian 85mm AA so that when you rotate the camera you are looking right down the barrel.... just like the crew... in whatever direction it is pointing.
It is funny to watch the shells bouncing right off the front and sides of the Tiger I and Stug III are quite hard on their front too.
The Elephant is very hard........ incidently one of the best tank killers..... it can beat a TigerII (in il2.... dont know about for real) is the iSU-100
its really low profile gives it an advantage against other tanks when close in fighting

'loon'

MiloMorai
01-03-2004, 06:14 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by christopher65:
Being a bit of a tank man myself I am interested in the way tanks are portrayed in fb.Youve got to remember that the frontal armour on a Tiger 1 was 150mm thick!! A 6pounder shell bounced off from close range! A 20mm cannon shell will have no affect.Like the previous reply said the deck or rear is the place.A 5000lb bomb from a Pe8 aslo does the trick!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yet the first, or one of the first, Tigers knocked out in the West(N.Africa) was done so with the 6pdr.

"You mean from above.
The top armor is even thinner then the rear armor, waaaaaaaay thinner even."

Yup, about 3 times. top 25mm, rear 80mm