PDA

View Full Version : Unity and Vendée?

Matknapers18
03-07-2015, 08:06 PM
So i was looking through my twitter feed when a friend of mine posted this:

http://i58.tinypic.com/nqd9nl.png

Now I don't remember visiting any city called Vendée in Unity. I went to the wiki to check if this was legitimate, and it turns out that it is. So was this a location cut from the final game, or just simple mistake made on the wiki? Perhaps I am simply forgetting a mission or scene? I am yet to read to Unity novel, so it would interesting to see if this location is referenced in the novel, because as far as I'm concerned, it isn't in the game.

The wiki page for Vendée is practically empty. The only information we get is:

"Vendée is a location in west-central France, located on the shore of the Atlantic Ocean. The Vendée saw a rebellion by Royalists against the French government during the French Revolution, fought by townspeople who sought for King Louis XVI of France to return to power."

So it sounds like this location was actually planned to have held a mission in ACU that was perhaps cut from the final game. I know that we have a lot of history fanatics on this site, so it would be cool to see the different opinions that the community has. It seems like a stretch, but is it possible that this location if for further DLC? I personally don't think so, but I know a lot of people have been requesting more Unity DLC. Or perhaps "located on the shore of the Atlantic Ocean" Vendée was originally planned to host Naval missions in the earliest stages of production? Also seems pretty improbable, Im certain that the team had planned to scrap naval right from the start of production.

This would be kinda embarrassing if Vendée is in the game and I just forgot.

It is mentioned here:
http://assassinscreed.wikia.com/wiki/Assassin%27s_Creed:_Unity

Altair1789
03-07-2015, 08:11 PM
I don't at all remember being in "Vendée". Maybe it was for one mission. Your DLC idea is possible. I, for one, would've rather had a hint towards a Jazz Age Junkies DLC :rolleyes: I haven't read the Unity book, but if it were from there, I doubt it'd be mentioned on the Unity page.

Since it's a wiki though, I think it's a mistake by whoever wrote this

Matknapers18
03-07-2015, 08:17 PM
I don't at all remember being in "Vendée". Maybe it was for one mission. Your DLC idea is possible. I, for one, would've rather had a hint towards a Jazz Age Junkies DLC :rolleyes: I haven't read the Unity book, but if it were from there, I doubt it'd be mentioned on the Unity page.

Since it's a wiki though, I think it's a mistake by whoever wrote this

You sure love your Jazz Age Junkies ;D

http://i60.tinypic.com/ir85rl.png

Strangely enough, it is also mentioned on the AC Unity website. You'd think that they would have incorporated it into the game. Especially after labelling at as the most 'horrible, nightmare inducing episode'.

Im pretty sure Ubi had plans for this location.

VestigialLlama4
03-07-2015, 08:24 PM
So it sounds like this location was actually planned to have held a mission in ACU that was perhaps cut from the final game. I know that we have a lot of history fanatics on this site, so it would be cool to see the different opinions that the community has. It seems like a stretch, but is it possible that this location if for further DLC?

The Vendee is not a city or anything, its a region of France's rural centre, the area that was most Churchgoing and Catholic (and so opposed to the Revolution's attack on Church property and privileges). They rose in Civil War when they massacred 200 men, women and children at Machecoul and became part of the Counter-Revolution army and civil war, backed by ex-Royalist soldiers and getting money and guns from England to fight the Revolution. The National Convention reacted against the Vendeean crisis fiercely and it became extremely bloody.

The French Revolution is essentially like America fighting the Revolutionary War and the Civil War at the same time. The Vendeean was its Confederacy, deeply monarchical, feudal and backward looking but with some legitimate grievances against Conscription, loss of property and state disrespect of local traditions. They later became enshrined among the French right-wing romance as "lost-cause" types (the ones who claim that it amounted to a genocide conveniently forgetting that the Vendeeans boiled captives in burning oil).

The Vendeean Crisis is unlikely to be a DLC, that thing you read was just a small thing from an earlier page, a false notice. In any case by the time Arno's adventures get over in the main game, the Vendeean crisis was resolved for the most part.

I personally don't think so, but I know a lot of people have been requesting more Unity DLC. Or perhaps "located on the shore of the Atlantic Ocean" Vendée was originally planned to host Naval missions in the earliest stages of production? Also seems pretty improbable, Im certain that the team had planned to scrap naval right from the start of production.

Well, if they want Naval Missions, Vendee was fairly unsuitable. France's big ports were La Rochelle, Nantes, Marseille and Toulon. During the revolution, Marseille and Toulon went under royalist occupation (who collaborated with the English) and after the lifting of the Siege of Toulon, the British torched the French fleet. The most famous naval action in the Revolution was an event called the Glorious First of June which was centered in La Rochelle.

Matknapers18
03-07-2015, 08:35 PM
The Vendee is not a city or anything, its a region of France's rural centre, the area that was most Churchgoing and Catholic (and so opposed to the Revolution's attack on Church property and privileges). They rose in Civil War when they massacred 200 men, women and children at Machecoul and became part of the Counter-Revolution army and civil war, backed by ex-Royalist soldiers and getting money and guns from England to fight the Revolution. The National Convention reacted against the Vendeean crisis fiercely and it became extremely bloody.

The French Revolution is essentially like America fighting the Revolutionary War and the Civil War at the same time. The Vendeean was its Confederacy, deeply monarchical, feudal and backward looking but with some legitimate grievances against Conscription, loss of property and state disrespect of local traditions. They later became enshrined among the French right-wing romance as "lost-cause" types (the ones who claim that it amounted to a genocide conveniently forgetting that the Vendeeans boiled captives in burning oil).

The Vendeean Crisis is unlikely to be a DLC, that thing you read was just a small thing from an earlier page, a false notice. In any case by the time Arno's adventures get over in the main game, the Vendeean crisis was resolved for the most part.

Well, if they want Naval Missions, Vendee was fairly unsuitable. France's big ports were La Rochelle, Nantes, Marseille and Toulon. During the revolution, Marseille and Toulon went under royalist occupation (who collaborated with the English) and after the lifting of the Siege of Toulon, the British torched the French fleet. The most famous naval action in the Revolution was an event called the Glorious First of June which was centered in La Rochelle.

Wow thanks for the response. Its always cool to get the historical explanation and context behind stuff. But, from what you've said, it seems like this Vendeean crisis was quite a big deal. As far as Im aware, it was never even referenced in the game? Im certainly no game designer, but, "The Vendeeans boiled captives in burning oil" sounds like fantastic material. I'll have to check the Unity database to see if this is mentioned.

VestigialLlama4
03-07-2015, 08:46 PM
Wow thanks for the response. Its always cool to get the historical explanation and context behind stuff. But, from what you've said, it seems like this Vendeean crisis was quite a big deal. As far as Im aware, it was never even referenced in the game?

UNITY is very much an anti-revolutionary game, that in-game database is dead useless since it has false information (and its very tiny paragraphs). UNITY is the least historical of all AC games, the less you know about it, the more you might enjoy it. The point is that the game fails to mention completely is that around 1792, France declared war on Austria (which was opposed in real life by the game's villain, Robespierre) and this war was the reason why the Revolution became violent. The war was initially prosecuted for shady reasons and sabotaged by the King and Queen, when things got desperate, the people deposed the King, later defeats at the front led to France almost being invaded and this led them to declare emergency and start the Reign of Terror.

The actual political context and how it connects to the war is very deliberately (and dishonestly) buried in the game's database, because it otherwise complicates and destroys the simplistic Evil Templars = Evil Revolution story they have.

Im certainly no game designer, but, "The Vendeeans boiled captives in burning oil" sounds like fantastic material. I'll have to check the Unity database to see if this is mentioned.

You probably won't find it. The game takes the view that the Vendeeans and the Counter-Revolution (and royalists in general) were simple victims, they weren't.