PDA

View Full Version : "1942 Pacific Air War" type campaigns?

Stuntie
05-25-2004, 12:52 PM
Whilst thinking about Pacific Fighters I started to think back to some of the older Pacific War based sims. My favourite being "1942 Pacific Air War".

One of the bits I loved about "1942 Pacific Air War" was the excellent campaign engine. You started somewhere on the map with the enemy out there - somewhere.
You had to organise scouting, for which you could use various planes, including potential strike aircraft. But this also left you short of planes for strikes, so you had to be careful with what you had.

Strikes were launched where you set them, so you could get an entire strike team coming back because the target had legged it out of sight before they got there.

Strikes could be organised, but it all took time to get the planes ready, so you could get hit by the enemy with packed decks, or parked fighters if you got it wrong.

CAPs needed setting as well - not good if you messed that up.

When you found something you could then launch a strike against it. But woe betide the Admiral who unleased everything on a bunch of Cruisers leaving nothing to defend against the three carriers the scouts had missed...

When your planes were ready you could opt to go into the cockpit, or let the AI continue.
that way you could skip having to do a secondary strike on a lesser target and go in with the main strike instead.

It was so simple, but so effective. And it let you fight out carrier duels as a flowing series of strikes and searches rather than a Mision 1, Mission 2 system.

And outmanouvering and sinking the enemies flattops gave you a real sense of victory. Something missing from many comabt flight sims.

If Oleg and the gang need any ideas for campaigns for PF, I'd recommend that they have a look at that one.

Cheers.
Stuntie

Stuntie
05-25-2004, 12:52 PM
Whilst thinking about Pacific Fighters I started to think back to some of the older Pacific War based sims. My favourite being "1942 Pacific Air War".

One of the bits I loved about "1942 Pacific Air War" was the excellent campaign engine. You started somewhere on the map with the enemy out there - somewhere.
You had to organise scouting, for which you could use various planes, including potential strike aircraft. But this also left you short of planes for strikes, so you had to be careful with what you had.

Strikes were launched where you set them, so you could get an entire strike team coming back because the target had legged it out of sight before they got there.

Strikes could be organised, but it all took time to get the planes ready, so you could get hit by the enemy with packed decks, or parked fighters if you got it wrong.

CAPs needed setting as well - not good if you messed that up.

When you found something you could then launch a strike against it. But woe betide the Admiral who unleased everything on a bunch of Cruisers leaving nothing to defend against the three carriers the scouts had missed...

When your planes were ready you could opt to go into the cockpit, or let the AI continue.
that way you could skip having to do a secondary strike on a lesser target and go in with the main strike instead.

It was so simple, but so effective. And it let you fight out carrier duels as a flowing series of strikes and searches rather than a Mision 1, Mission 2 system.

And outmanouvering and sinking the enemies flattops gave you a real sense of victory. Something missing from many comabt flight sims.

If Oleg and the gang need any ideas for campaigns for PF, I'd recommend that they have a look at that one.

Cheers.
Stuntie

LEXX_Luthor
05-25-2004, 01:10 PM
Man, some amazing thoughts there. if FB had a real large and strategic Dynamic Campaign generator you would see people talking about their missions and accomplishing goals. Instead, the only thing FB offers the player who cannot create their own dynamic campaign is FM Whining. They are bored.

Not slamming the original FB hand written static campaigns, but they were written years ago, when computers today and in the near future can handle far larger frontline battle environmental simulation. A dynamic campaign generator could keep mission intensity up with advances in computer performance.

Mohican2000
05-25-2004, 02:18 PM
Bump
I really miss some strategical elements in FB. It´s nice to have recon planes and wingmen and all this stuff, but it isn´t really important to protect them. PAW was great!

hobnail
05-25-2004, 09:12 PM
That part of PAW rocked, no doubt.