PDA

View Full Version : Was Minerva right for dooming her race?

DangerDrago2015
03-07-2015, 09:53 AM
So, as we all know, a solar flare occurs every couple billion years, decimating Earth and bringing its current dominant species to its knees. This tragically happened during the time of the First Civilization, setting it on the path to extinction. However, this didn't have to happen...

Minerva could have just used the Eye to save her people, but Juno tampered with it so that, when activated, it would free her. So Minerva refused to use the Eye, and well...you know the rest.

Using the eye would free Juno...so? Surely they could have just saved the world and THEN re-imprisoned Juno. And even if they couldn't, is keeping her in prison REALLY more important than the lives of millions of men, women and children?

Oh yeah, sure, 'if they hadn't died we could never have been free from slavery'...but that is just selfish. They were a race just like ours, with family units, traditions, celebrations, emotions. Yeah they created a slave race, but aren't we on the verge of doing that too in the form of robots. Didn't they have just as much the right to exist as we do? Does a zebra have a greater right to life than the lion just because the lion has more power? Does the lion not have a family of its own to feed?

SofaJockey
03-07-2015, 10:50 AM
You're probably not wrong.
But origin story is what it is.

Would have changed the game premise somewhat if the precursor race was still hanging around...

DemonLord4lf
03-07-2015, 08:17 PM
You're probably not wrong.
But origin story is what it is.

Would have changed the game premise somewhat if the precursor race was still hanging around...

Who's to say they aren't? Minerva said herself, that not everyone would be destroyed, almost everyone. Perhaps the same is true for the precursor race. Perhaps one of them is behind the Templar/Assassin war. Pulling the strings from the shadows.

Hans684
03-07-2015, 08:22 PM
Actually they tried to prevent it but they had to little time so she sent messages for their creations to prevent it but Juno tempered with the Eye after their attempt at killing her in their time. So when it was Desmond's turn he was supposed to save earth but Minerva was surprised Juno lived.

SixKeys
03-07-2015, 10:59 PM
We don't know much about TWCB. We know they have ways of seeing into the future and alternate possibilities. Perhaps Minerva knew something we don't. Desmond made his choice based on the same logic as OP, but Minerva told him that decision was sure to doom the humans because unleashing Juno upon the world was apparently worse than everyone being incinerated. If there was some other way to deal with Juno, surely Minerva would have taken that into account? But it sounded like she had already seen all possible outcomes of releasing Juno and decided none of them were worth the risk.

Which is why I feel kinda miffed that they showed us two possible endings for Desmond (the "Messiah" ending where the cycle starts all over again and the one where he releases Juno and the future is uncertain). I understand that the way these games are written don't allow for player choices, but if I could have, I would have chosen the Messiah ending. Better to start all over again than to fulfill whatever hostile takeover Juno has been plotting for centuries.

HDinHB
03-08-2015, 04:57 AM
OP--you're really trying to equate robots and slavery?

We don't know much about TWCB. We know they have ways of seeing into the future and alternate possibilities. Perhaps Minerva knew something we don't. Desmond made his choice based on the same logic as OP, but Minerva told him that decision was sure to doom the humans because unleashing Juno upon the world was apparently worse than everyone being incinerated. If there was some other way to deal with Juno, surely Minerva would have taken that into account? But it sounded like she had already seen all possible outcomes of releasing Juno and decided none of them were worth the risk.

Which is why I feel kinda miffed that they showed us two possible endings for Desmond (the "Messiah" ending where the cycle starts all over again and the one where he releases Juno and the future is uncertain). I understand that the way these games are written don't allow for player choices, but if I could have, I would have chosen the Messiah ending. Better to start all over again than to fulfill whatever hostile takeover Juno has been plotting for centuries.

Apparently Minerva didn't see the possible outcome where Juno is relegated to the status of weak malware in AC4, an animated gif in the Initiates alpha, and an optional side-content memo and deleted sound clip in Unity.

Desmond made exactly the right choice--and literally the only choice--in deciding to break the cycle and give humanity a chance at a different future.