PDA

View Full Version : Assassin's Creed: Unity - the worst ever?

Mattiaz483
03-06-2015, 06:00 PM
Ok. I've stopped myself from writing this earlier because I wanted to give the game one more chance.

There are so many inconsistencies, annoyances and bugs in this game that I just get frustrated and angry when playing it. To mention a few:

During fighting swords are visible through characters when piercing them with the sword and quite often they fall through walls, but most annoying is the generally bad experience during fighting. Some times it works to block and sometimes not. And all of a sudden when one is fighting another soldier kill you with a single stabbing even though one have more than half of the health left. When there are more than 3 opponents it also becomes impossible to defend oneself. I have to use smoke grenades constantly and even though I run far away from them and zig zag they manage to shoot you. Seen to the fighting I think AC3 was the best. One could pick weapons up and the fighting were both more enjoyable, diverse and easier. One could also easily change from sword to axe.

Another thing that I miss from AC3 is the horses. It made it easier to transport oneself around the map. Now I have to use Fast Travel all the time since even just running a few hundred meters take ages. Also that one have to upgrade to be able to do quite basic skills like a double kill is annoying.

The only thing I feel is at par with those prior to Black Flag (that also was a disappointment) is the story.

There are most likely some more things that I just don't recollect when writing this. But like should be clear now, I'm not happy with the (d)evolution of the game.

dimbismp
03-06-2015, 06:18 PM
AC3 had really enjoying combat,but Connor was OP.On the other hand,ACU's combat may not have been as enjoying,but it was far more balanced.So,i like them both.

I don't see why you are disappointed with the absense of horses.This is not the american Frontier...this is revolutionary Paris.It would be really hard to ride a horse among thousand of people.Don't worry though,there will most likely be moving carriages in Victory.

Finally,again i cannot understand why you call ACU a devolution.It brought the series back to the roots...You are playing as an assassin in a huge urban playground:you are not a pirate nor a hunter or something.Sure there were some mistakes,but the series are definetely on the right track!

Regarding your question,ACU is my 3rd favorite,so i voted for the second option

SteelCity999
03-06-2015, 06:34 PM
Unity was a step in the right direction. Unfortunately, the bugs and glitches clouded a lot of the good things it does. The yearly release schedule often times causes hasty decisions to be made since there isn't a proper delay when problems arise.

The biggest problem is that it didn't advance the series narrative at all. We saw a short-sided narrative that means nothing. Unity is nothing more than Arno trying to gain Elise's favor - nothing to do with his vengeance. Even if there is deeper meaning to Unity's events revealed in Victory, how does that help us get satisfaction from Unity while playing it?

Matknapers18
03-06-2015, 06:49 PM
Unity had good intent, the concept was promising, the execution was just poor. But it was certainly a step in the right direction, as pointed out by SteelCity.

I actually think that, as far as gameplay is concerned, Unity really wasn't that bad. The new parkour mechanics are so much better than what we previously had and the combat was a step in the right direction. Probably the most balanced and challenging combat in the series. If Ubisoft could just flesh this out a bit more, develop more options for the player, then something great may be in store for us. The same goes for stealth, probably the weakest part of the the gameplay, but nevertheless, a good attempt. Improve the crouching and covering mechanics and you have what could be the most diverse, functional stealth system yet. I feel that people really overreacted. Sure the glitches suck, the initiates sucks, and the story sucks, but the pivotal ingredients for a solid gameplay are there. Hidden amongst all the other crap is a promising formula.

SixKeys
03-06-2015, 06:58 PM
I love it, although it could be better. The story is weak, but Arno is a good character and the gameplay is solid. Best side missions since ACB and tons of little improvements all across the board. The combat is finally challenging again for the first time since AC1. Parkour is not as precise as it should be, sadly, but it hasn't been ever since they removed the puppeteer concept.

There are many things I would change or tweak if I could, but Unity is a step in the right direction.

Matknapers18
03-06-2015, 07:03 PM
I love it, although it could be better. The story is weak, but Arno is a good character and the gameplay is solid. Best side missions since ACB and tons of little improvements all across the board. The combat is finally challenging again for the first time since AC1. Parkour is not as precise as it should be, sadly, but it hasn't been ever since they removed the puppeteer concept.

There are many things I would change or tweak if I could, but Unity is a step in the right direction.

Completely agree with this.

One thing though, what is the puppeteer concept? I don't think Ive heard that term before.

Megas_Doux
03-06-2015, 08:30 PM

This!!!!!

Having a love/hate relationship, I admit I like the game, but also miss all the things it could have been.....

AssassinHMS
03-06-2015, 08:49 PM
And all of a sudden when one is fighting another soldier kill you with a single stabbing even though one have more than half of the health left. (Maybe he stabbed you in the knee…some areas are more sensible than others. )When there are more than 3 opponents it also becomes impossible to defend oneself. (:O, that’s so unfair!! Losing to 3 or more enemies is not heroic at all!)
I have to use smoke grenades constantly (What? Your equipment actually comes in handy in this game!? And if only there was a way to avoid getting in fights with that many guards…) Seen to the fighting I think AC3 was the best. (Of course it was.) One could pick weapons up (very important indeed) and the fighting were both more enjoyable (opinions…) and easier (Thank god! I was having trouble with those ants.).

Democrito_71
03-06-2015, 09:01 PM
Unity was ok imo. The things why Untiy isn't my favorite AC-game is;

1: The story was weak, lacked depth, inconsistence and it didn't bring the overall modern day storyline forward at all

PS: The amount of Story missions were too few for a huge and artistically fantastic for a Parisian open world and the story was too straight forward. I think AC4 handled the last part much better in story pace by not being as straight forward like in Unity.

2: The game was unpolished when it released, it wasn't fun to hear that Unity crashed for many and then the game crashes already in the first missionWhen young Arno runs after Elise. Yeah already there in Versailles, with no massive crowds to lower the frame rate and such, the game crashed for me when running slowly after Elise. I remember I just started to laugh hard about it when the game crashed XP The game runs much better now though the frame rate is still sometimes unstable though it's mostly unnoticeable for me.

3. The side missions have no depth or any interesting side storylines with no cutscenes at all. Ubisoft should look into how GTA4, Read dead Redemption and GTAV handles their side missions. In those games, the side missions have their own short story lines, with cutscenes and with their own funny mission tasks.

4. I have a lot of ideas how to make the skill point systems better and less complicated for future AC-Games which I have written in an another thread which you guys can read on the link below:

http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/1014859-Changes-Needed-for-AC-Victory?p=10590946&viewfull=1#post10590946

Though I have to point out to the name of the thread, by saying Unity is "worst ever" is just over exaggerative thing to say. The game is good though not perfect and definitely not the worst imo

JustPlainQuirky
03-06-2015, 09:04 PM
It's bad but by no means the worst.

It's the best in terms of land gameplay so that in itself keeps it from being the worst

Ignacio_796
03-06-2015, 10:23 PM
Hope they change the combat, i can agree in that is more challenging, but is very repetitive, you dont have as many options as before, weapons feel all the same with some exceptions (like the sword of suger) and it all reduces to timing and take advantage of medicines and smoke bombs.
Maybe the repetitive factor comes from the fact that all enemies does the same, yes there are some guys that trow stuns grenades at you (which does nothing), and there are enemies with more level than other, but in the end, every combat ends in the same way.
Also i hope they get rid of the cover system..... it doesn't work properly.

Jackdaw951
03-06-2015, 10:27 PM
Love the game, faults notwithstanding. Glad I got it, particularly as a pack-in with my console bundle. At current market prices, after 5 patches of improvement, I would recommend it to any dedicated gamer.

LoyalACFan
03-06-2015, 11:07 PM
It's OK. It's certainly the best in terms of balanced gameplay, main mission design, and the customization/progression system for your Assassin. But it's REALLY frustrating for me to see this series continue to take tiny little baby steps toward fixing things that should have been perfected a hell of a long time ago. Especially things like AI; you're a god-damned stealth game, enemy AI should almost be your number-1 priority. Yet, after EIGHT main console games, it still sucks. Enemies are either unbelievably stupid single units, or a psychic hive-mind (the latter essentially ruined both the phantom blade and the bow). Look to MGS or your very own Splinter Cell for pointers if you need to, but for God's sake, it's getting embarrassing at this point.

Throw in a heap of other things (short and bland story, transmedia shoved in your face at every turn, lack of polish, performance issues, lots of samey side content, pointless collectibles, wasted characters, etc.) and I have a very difficult time calling Unity a "good" game.

SixKeys
03-06-2015, 11:19 PM
Completely agree with this.

One thing though, what is the puppeteer concept? I don't think Ive heard that term before.

Puppeteering is what they called the old control scheme (AC1-ACR). Like one button was for hands, one for the head, one for feet and high/low-profile.

Megas_Doux
03-06-2015, 11:48 PM
It's OK. It's certainly the best in terms of balanced gameplay, main mission design, and the customization/progression system for your Assassin. But it's REALLY frustrating for me to see this series continue to take tiny little baby steps toward fixing things that should have been perfected a hell of a long time ago. Especially things like AI; you're a god-damned stealth game, enemy AI should almost be your number-1 priority. Yet, after EIGHT main console games, it still sucks. Enemies are either unbelievably stupid single units, or a psychic hive-mind (the latter essentially ruined both the phantom blade and the bow). Look to MGS or your very own Splinter Cell for pointers if you need to, but for God's sake, it's getting embarrassing at this point.

I Agree....

Thing is that Ubi decided since the development of AC II that this franchise would be more profitable as an "historic GTA" with "some" stealth elements instead of focusing on the "assassin experience" side.

SofaJockey
03-07-2015, 12:08 AM
I only started playing 10 days ago and have enjoyed it.
I guess the bugs have been addressed as I hardly saw any issues on XB1.

For me, the 'worst', and they were not bad, just not as good were:

Brotherhood - enough already...
III - Connor just unengaging
Rogue - technically good but having to kill *** ... I don't want to play a misguided ***...

II and Black Flag remain highlights of the series.

dargor5
03-07-2015, 12:37 AM
First I must say I love Unity and is the AC game that I have played the most, but to be honest this was just a test of the new engine, hence the poor story (I say poor because how short it was, overal I did like it) and some mechanics don't ad up. Yes the combat is more balanced now but in balancing it became stiff again. The flow of the parkour is excelent and I would have loved that the combat had the same treatment but honestly, this is not a combat or fighting game, this is an assassin game were you are supposed to act stealthy all the time and combat is there because of options, thats my guess why the parkour rocks the most, because ever since AC1 the advertised feature of AC was climbing and parkouring (is that a word?) never was the combat a feature.
This is why I think Victory will be the best AC so far, now they know what needs to be done to make this new engine work better and give us a better game. If you look into the past this has been ubis modo for AC, AC1 was the introduction of everything, then came AC2 and made everything way better. Along came AC3 with and upgraded engine and it had its flaws, to later be surpassed by Black Flag which was a success. If this tells us anything is that Unity was the test for the new stuff and the real improvement will be seen on Victory.

But yeah I love Unity

AssassinHMS
03-07-2015, 04:05 AM
Thing is that Ubi decided since the development of AC II that this franchise would be more profitable as an "historic GTA" with "some" stealth elements instead of focusing on the "assassin experience" side.

And they’re pretty much right, it’s what people want. Just listen to Angry Joe or any other imp. They don’t care AT ALL how good the game is or if Ubisoft ****s on the core. They’ll be happy as long as it suits their personal taste (historical bloodfest preferably with ships).

"It doesn’t matter if a band is good or unique. What does matter is that they play those pop songs we like."

CHAINSAW305
03-07-2015, 04:15 AM
Yesss! Unity comes back to the roots of an Assassin and not a pirate.. arrgh!

I liked 4 but it just isn't a true Assassins game. I'm glad to be back on the rooftops and not miles at sea. I hope they keep it this way. They should just make a new series for the pirate fans. A completely new series.

I love Unity! The combat is just soooo much more balanced and realistic. Except I do miss using my hidden blades whenever I wanted and just going ham sandwich on everybody doing nasty combos. I miss the combo kills too. Using your bare hands and daggers is missing. It's just mainly these features I miss and hope they do bring them back. Just with a more balanced and a realistic approach maybe. I was also upset that the father died waaayyy too quick imo. Didn't even get to know the man. Unity does return to it's true Assassins roots in this one and besides the buggyness of the game I'm happy with it. The Dead Kings dlc is amazing! and I honestly can't believe we got it for free.

My least favorite Assassins game is 4. That's just because you're a pirate in that one, not an Assassin. Revelations had some annoying parts with Desmond. I never got to play Liberation's yet. So I don't know about that one. Either way I like every Assassins Creed game. None of them are really that bad. I would say my favorite is a tough choice but I'm gonna go with 2 then Brotherhood, AC1, Unity, AC3, ACR and then that pirate game.

VestigialLlama4
03-07-2015, 05:17 AM

"Assassin experience" only works in a historical context when assassins actually existed. During the Crusades they were a real organization with a public role, likewise the Templars. ASSASSIN'S CREED was always "historical GTA" as Patrice Desilets admitted. AC1 no less so than other games.

The minute the game went into the conspiracy direction, it became more heavily involved in historical fiction, because the Assassins work underground in various fronts, so every Assassin after that has to have, by necessity a dual identity. We have to know and be shown what the Assassins are in relation to the Renaissance, the American Revolution and the Pirate Era. Without that rephrasing of the context, the Assassins don't have a purpose, they're just death-focused cults with no social responsibilities, which as Altair learned in AC1 is worth a death-sentence. The historical element is very much part of "the core assassin experience".

Anyway, UNITY is so far the worst AC game that there's no close competition. The story is worthless, the hero is shallow and without any edge, the historical element is pretty much lies and slander, and as a result the supposed return to "core" fails completely.

playlisting
03-07-2015, 05:58 AM
I have to use smoke grenades constantly and even though I run far away from them and zig zag they manage to shoot you.

I'm glad that people are having to use smoke bombs now. I've always used them since AC 2 but a lot of people I've watched have neglected them opting to fight instead. Evasion is the far more sensible choice.. I've always chosen to run rather than fight because killing 20 or so guards in one go isn't enjoyable for me. It's much more fun killing your target then disappearing into the crowds.

I do agree about the guards shooting though. It seems every single guard is a crack shot.

Xangr8
03-07-2015, 08:57 AM
Loved it! If you overlook the bugs and glitches. THE GAME IS FREAKING FANTASTIQUE!

Mr_Shade
03-07-2015, 03:02 PM
Loved it! If you overlook the bugs and glitches. THE GAME IS FREAKING FANTASTIQUE!

Seems to be the majority vote too :)

Xangr8
03-07-2015, 09:11 PM
Seems to be the majority vote too :)

Indeed ^_^

CHAINSAW305
03-08-2015, 12:27 AM
That's because even with the bugs. Fans are just happy to be an Assassin again and not a Pirate. I love being back on the rooftops and not waayyy out a sea. The additions of an Amazing co-op experience helps too. I love the co-op. It's a blast to play. So many of my friends have been wanting a real co-op like this in an Assassins game. I hope it stays as a feature in the series. Also the cover system helps out in the stealth department and crouching was sorely needed.

Unity is a great step in the right direction. I even had fun with the Helix missions. Wish there was a little bit more depth them but I can see them improving in the future. Every fan of the series misses the ability to use the hidden blades in combat though. There's just a few features stripped from the combat system that I believe fans would like back. I do hope that some of the realistic style of combat in Unity stays and I wouldn't mind seeing Arno in another Assassins game.

Hrafnagud72
03-08-2015, 09:25 AM
The game itself is decent. There are still many broken features though. The story was maybe the most uninteresting and lacking. The crashes and bugs with the release made Unity the worst release for Ubi to date. It has taken 5 patches and there are still broken features and bugs. Not to mention completely pulling the plug on initiates because it was so broken. The more forced co-op and club comps, the companion app, the transmedia, are all things I absolutely loathe. Graphics were nice though lol.

But for me what made Unity the worst is not even the game itself. It is the manner in which Ubi handled their massive blunders, and their customers. The absolute worst customer service I have ever seen in my life. This release made me lose entirely what little faith and respect I had for Ubi. Which is why they won't ever see another penny from me.

king-hailz
03-08-2015, 11:00 AM
It is really bad and could have been better.

Ignacio_796
03-08-2015, 03:48 PM
Also the enemies shooting at you with perfect accuracy and without the capability of avoid the shots out of combat just makes the combat frustrating sometimes...

Megas_Doux
03-08-2015, 05:25 PM
And they’re pretty much right, it’s what people want. Just listen to Angry Joe or any other imp. They don’t care AT ALL how good the game is or if Ubisoft ****s on the core. They’ll be happy as long as it suits their personal taste (historical bloodfest preferably with ships).

"It doesn’t matter if a band is good or unique. What does matter is that they play those pop songs we like."

Indeed.....

"Assassin experience" only works in a historical context when assassins actually existed. During the Crusades they were a real organization with a public role, likewise the Templars. ASSASSIN'S CREED was always "historical GTA" as Patrice Desilets admitted. AC1 no less so than other games.

I might give you the historic/story aspect. However I was talking about the GAMEPLAY of being an assassin, parkour, stealth, AI, combat and such... The thing with the gameplay has been/is that the social stealth is pretty much gone and the "normal" one is utter primitive, the AI is dumb and the combat is ridiculously easy in we compare it to the rest of the franchises that have some stealth. The fact that Uncharted, third person shooter game, is superior, well.......

You know, I find it really telling that after 7 years and many games there is a crouch bottom until now. AC SHOULD perfect/improve/fix the CORE mechanics first and then when that´s in a good shape, include the "side content" in the likes of hunting and naval, just to name a few to enhance the open world nature of the franchise. Dont get me wrong, I had/have a pretty good time sailing the high seas in AC IV, not with the hunting that was cringe worthy easy, more so than the 5 years old combat. But I would like to have strong core mechanics first......

That´s why I think Unity is a step into the right direction, far from perfect, but finally there is some trace of stealth, pretty primitive but something, I enjoyed parkour and the almost 1:1 buildings are a neat addition. Regarding combat, although easy, at least is not the former utter joke of disposing 849382409820 guards, regardless their rank and your gear in the blink of an eye since the beginning of the game with NO effort whatsoever. But then again, the majority of the fans want the opposite.....

Also the enemies shooting at you with perfect accuracy and without the capability of avoid the shots out of combat just makes the combat frustrating sometimes...

You are complaining that well trained guards actually can hit you either at point blank or while escaping......Well during combat you can avoid shoots by rolling, if you escape and want to avoid being hit, use smoke bombs.

SixKeys
03-08-2015, 05:31 PM
You don't even have to roll or use tools to escape being shot. Just zig-zag while you're escaping and enemies are less likely to hit. I don't get why this is so hard for so many people.

JustPlainQuirky
03-08-2015, 05:34 PM
You don't even have to roll or use tools to escape being shot. Just zig-zag while you're escaping and enemies are less likely to hit. I don't get why this is so hard for so many people.

probably because such a realistic strategy isnt usually associated with games.

for example if i were on fire in a game I wouldnt think to stop drop and roll

You are complaining that well trained guards actually can hit you either at point blank or while escaping......Well during combat you can avoid shoots by rolling, if you escape and want to avoid being hit, use smoke bombs.

guns at that time period were relatively inaccurate even at a close distance so if there are consecutive clean shots from 3240230840238049823 feet away there is reason to raise an eyebrow. It doesnt matter how skilled the guard is. The technology simply wasn't there.

Shahkulu101
03-08-2015, 05:40 PM

People are just pissed the game doesn't play itself and rub their tummies for being 'badass'.

JustPlainQuirky
03-08-2015, 05:44 PM
I disagree. I love how ACU is more difficult though its still somewhat easy.

The combat is a challenge but I feel the ability for enemies to consecutively clean shot you from long distances while running is not a means of true challenge nor is it realistic.

Shahkulu101
03-08-2015, 05:49 PM
I disagree. I love how ACU is more difficult though its still somewhat easy.

The combat is a challenge but I feel the ability for enemies to consecutively clean shot you from long distances while running is not a means of true challenge nor is it realistic.

It's a balancing act.

Compromise realism for the sake of not being able to just effortlessly run away from enemies. This way you have to make sure you kill your targets either undetected or with a limited number of guards seeing you.

When they do an AC game in a period without guns, I hope the same thing happens with arrow (which would actually be more realistic).

JustPlainQuirky
03-08-2015, 05:51 PM
I wouldnt say running away would be effortless without super accurate guns.

for instance they run very fast and more than once a crowd of them have actually managed to catch up to me.

besides, paris is crowded enough where if you run away from guards you end up running into another batch.
This happened to me many, many times.

Shahkulu101
03-08-2015, 05:57 PM
I wouldnt say running away would be effortless without super accurate guns.

for instance they run very fast and more than once a crowd of them have actually managed to catch up to me.

besides, paris is crowded enough where if you run away from guards you end up running into another batch.
This happened to me many, many times.

It is, you remember the last 7 games.

Anyway I get what you mean, they are a little bit too accurate - but at least it adds a sense of danger.

JustPlainQuirky
03-08-2015, 06:00 PM
eeeeeh in AC3 when I tried to run away I'd just have an army after me for a good 2 minutes. It was actually pretty difficult to regain anonymousness.

but i see your point

you're right it adds danger but to me it doesnt feel as fair, as you're essentially powerless to do anything about it sometimes. smokebombs only work so often.

just adjusting the accuracy in relation to distance would be fine for me.

look at me sounding like a filthy casual complaining part of a game is OP

Shahkulu101
03-08-2015, 06:06 PM
You shouldn't worry about what parts of the game you complain about.

This is a forum, full of opinions. Where we discuss such things.

I don't want to sound like I'm an 'elitist' or something, as a matter of fact I'm not very good at games - but I still prefer challenge. Not even challenge, just simple balance.

Like, I think the core gameplay from past AC games sucks because it's so easy but I won't play Darksouls because that game just skews everything against you. Neither of them are my taste, but if they are yours I'm fine with that. Personally, I like my difficulty levels like Goldilocks likes her porridge.

JustPlainQuirky
03-08-2015, 06:09 PM
I honestly think -aside from the naval- that all AC games are insultingly easy.

One exception might be AC1 but that was more because the combat was inconsistant for me.

edit:

I actually wanted to do a test involving 3-4 year old children playing AC to see how well they did.

I tested this with 2 children and they got considerably far.

Though I'd need more testers for my theory to hold value.

Megas_Doux
03-08-2015, 06:14 PM
eeeeeh in AC3 when I tried to run away I'd just have an army after me for a good 2 minutes. It was actually pretty difficult to regain anonymousness.

Escaping in AC III was somewhat challenging, I liked that A LOT and in fact I miss it in Unity

Regarding the technology thing, it is true that you could not hit a target 150 meters away like in modern times. However I have heard/read that bayonets from that period could have easily injure a target from 50 meters. So what happens in Unity is possible.

JustPlainQuirky
03-08-2015, 06:16 PM
Regarding the technology thing, it is true that you could not hit a target 150 meters away like in modern times. However I have heard/read that bayonets from that period could have easily injure a target from 50 meters. So what happens in Unity is possible....

I suppose

but IIRC bayonets shoot at a curve so shooting at a moving far away target is impractical

Megas_Doux
03-08-2015, 06:17 PM
I honestly think -aside from the naval- that all AC games are insultingly easy.

One exception might be AC1 but that was more because the combat was inconsistant for me.

edit:

I actually wanted to do a test involving 3-4 year old children playing AC to see how well they did.

I tested this with 2 children and they got considerably far.

Though I'd need more testers for my theory to hold value.

My five years old cousin could kill the Papal guards......

JustPlainQuirky
03-08-2015, 06:20 PM
yeah a 4 year old I know was able to complete the haytham campaign in AC3. And she only stopped because I had to stop testing.

Thats why I laugh when people say AC3 was overall a hard game.

I got her to play Unity but she struggled with the new parkour mechanics. Makes sense.

rrebe
03-08-2015, 07:59 PM
I loved Unity. Sure it had its issues, but overall I enjoyed it a lot. The good things outweigh the bad for me. It looks beautiful, moving around the city felt great and there's finally some challenge in combat.

RubySmith_Acid
03-08-2015, 09:16 PM
now its working its by far the best and most advanced game so far on the ONE imo

rrebe
03-08-2015, 09:17 PM
now its working its by far the best and most advanced game so far on the ONE imo

Indeed.
And welcome to the forums ;)

RubySmith_Acid
03-08-2015, 09:27 PM
nice that you noticed thank you