PDA

View Full Version : Favorite unsolved mystery

SixKeys
03-05-2015, 05:29 AM
I was just listening to the Twitch stream where RinoTheBouncer appeared (nice job, man!) and one of the questions he was asked was "what is your favorite unsolved mystery in the AC games?" which I thought was an interesting question.

So what is yours? Is there a plothole that was never satisfactorily explained in your opinion, or just an intriguing plot thread that was started but never went anywhere? What mystery do you wish the devs would someday return to address?

I for one was never satisfied with the handling of Subject 16 and how his mysterious ramblings about "the Sun, your son" in ACB were later handwaved away as totally irrelevant.

But even that at least was somewhat addressed by devs, if only to say "16 was just crazy". If there's one missed opportunity that I still mourn, it's all the stuff in the now defunct Facebook game, Project Legacy. I was always fascinated by Consus, the "erudite god" who only appeared to Giovanni Borgia and who seemed determined to keep himself hidden from everyone else. Who was he? Why did he communicate with Giovanni who was only a child at the time? Why the secrecy? What connection did he have with the Apple?

There was other interesting stuff in PL too, about the Philosopher's Stone, the Shroud etc. I think it even introduced Crystal Skulls years before they appeared in AC4. I wanted to know more about what became of Giovanni and other characters referenced in PL. Then there was modern day stuff like some Abstergo employee who was smuggling secret plans out of the company and got drugged and kidnapped, presumably by the assassins. And all the smaller detours into different eras like the assassin and Templar soldiers who met during World War I and made truce for one night on Christmas. I want to know about all these people more than I want to know about whatever happened to Arno or Connor after their games ended.

Namikaze_17
03-05-2015, 05:46 AM
How in the hell did Connor walk for hours with that huge wound on his gut before killing lee?

Not to mention killing him and walking out to most likely walk back to the homestead.

From a realistic standpoint, Connor should've passed out or died.

SixKeys
03-05-2015, 05:48 AM
How in the hell did Connor walk for hours with that huge wound on his gut before killing lee?

Not to mention killing him and walking out to most likely walk back to the homestead.

From a realistic standpoint, Connor should've passed out or died.

Didn't he pass out a couple of times?

Namikaze_17
03-05-2015, 05:51 AM
Didn't he pass out a couple of times?

Not really IIRC.

He was out for a few minutes before getting up.

But that's it. :confused:

SixKeys
03-05-2015, 06:01 AM
Precursor DNA. :rolleyes:

Fatal-Feit
03-05-2015, 06:05 AM
Spoilers are obvious, right? I want to know more about Arno's parents. Specifically Bellec and Charles' relationship and story prior to Unity. It's apparent they were part of the same Brotherhood and were close friends, but I want to know more. Marie was the first of Arno's many abandonment and it was because Charles had ties to the Brotherhood. Was it because she couldn't stomach Charles being a serial killer or was she against what the Assassins stood for? And why leave Arno with him?

These aren't exactly an unsolved mystery (and I apologize for that), but it's something that intrigues the hell out of me. There's a lot of novel potential, IMO. I'd actually take it over a Rogue novel.

SixKeys
03-05-2015, 06:09 AM
One of my favorite little details in Unity is when you can find the "progress report" written by Bellec. I can't remember if it's about Arno or his dad, but I love how the description says it's written by someone who's obviously not accustomed to writing and all it says is: "Here's your ******* progress report: recruit Dorian is showing progress".

Namikaze_17
03-05-2015, 06:29 AM
Precursor DNA. :rolleyes:

Wish I had that. :rolleyes:

VestigialLlama4
03-05-2015, 07:54 AM
What mystery do you wish the devs would someday return to address?

Well, my key mystery is who passed over the script of UNITY and thought it would make a good game since it pretty much destroys the overall series metaphor in eighty different ways and the Franchise can only really progress by pretending it didn't happen.

On a general note, I wish the game would clarify whether or not George Washington actually burnt down Connor's village, and what exactly was Charles Lee doing there on the village that day (since Haytham had told him to stop looking for Precursor artefacts supposedly)? This plot point was never really dealt with properly in AC3 and strikes me as obviously a last-minute slapdash change since its dropped once and never addressed again, and historically Washington was retired from commission around that time.

The other mysteries are more in terms of background and writing, like how the story decisions of AC1-AC3 progressed and developed and what were the original ideas for UNITY since the promotional trailers (generally pro-Revolutionary) showed a game vastly different from the one (right-wing propaganda) we ended up getting. Darby McDevitt has so far acquitted himself well in this regards but he's the exception to the rule, but then everyone was better than the UNITY team who are so ashamed of their product that they don't do post-game interviews and Q&A.

I for one was never satisfied with the handling of Subject 16 and how his mysterious ramblings about "the Sun, your son" in ACB were later handwaved away as totally irrelevant.

Darby McDevitt explained this in BLACK FLAG where Desmond states that Subject 16 saw "calculations" alternate possibilities and couldn't tell which was an alternate future, a real past, and his present. I think generally they put it there to keep themselves a little free in case they decide to do something that contradicts stuff that Subject 16 showed and told was "The truth".

Xangr8
03-05-2015, 08:31 AM
The greatest plotholes? The first thing that comes into my mind is The Truth in AC Brotherhood.

EDIT: And the greatest plothole in the entire series is how did Shaun's hair turn black from red in Black Flag? Can his hair change colour!? *gasps*

pirate1802
03-05-2015, 09:52 AM
Ever heard of hair dyes? :)

Fatal-Feit
03-05-2015, 10:03 AM
Shaun Hasting's a diva. #confirmed

ze_topazio
03-05-2015, 12:31 PM
^ He needs a snickers.

Ignacio_796
03-05-2015, 12:48 PM
Why Ezio returned to Villa Auditore after the attack and What was Subject 16 refering to in the Truth of Borherhood....
It seems that this questions are never going to be ansewered as Ubisoft seems to have forgotten about them.

ze_topazio
03-05-2015, 12:53 PM
Ezio return to the villa after the events of "The Da Vinci disappearance" to leave the temple coordinates for Desmond if my memory serves me right.

Megas_Doux
03-05-2015, 03:31 PM
Connor and Lee, mostly the latter, being able to traverse from Boston to Monmouth County, New Jersey with those big injuries in their abdomen is, more than a mystery, a plot hole haha.

My two cents, for now:

Ezio return to the villa after the events of "The Da Vinci disappearance" to leave the temple coordinates for Desmond if my memory serves me right.

Not only that, but he was also wearing the armour of Altair and according to Desmond "looking so old".

2 What happened to the whole "Eve thing" ??????

3 There´s an easter egg on Freedom Cry in which you see the Jackdaw in the bottom of the sea...How it ended up there?????

4 Amelia, that woman of Forli who took Ezio to some "private lessons".... Is she Clay´s link to Ezio???? I like to think so :p

5 During the modern heist to Monteriggioni, when you enter the tunnels beneath the city there´s is HUGE locked door that you cannot open. Could that be the door that lead to the location of the Shroud of Eden and its "discovery" by Mario years prior AC II??? Even Desmond says "You would think these stairs lead somewhere".

Having second thoughts and considering that some guards found it, could be this http://img2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20121105234343/assassinscreed/images/3/39/Auditore_Crypt_1.png
Still, I would have wanted to know the old shroud location....

6 Altair´s Apple ended up in England......How????

7 Juno, Minerva and......?

http://www.accesstheanimus.com/Diana/4.jpg

Namikaze_17
03-05-2015, 03:48 PM
There´s an easter egg on Freedom Cry in which you see the Jackdaw in the bottom of the sea...How?????

Didn't Adéwalé crash it before getting stranded on Saint Dominique?

Amelia, that women of Forli which took Ezio to some "private lessons".... Is sheClay´s link to Ezio???? I like to think so :p

She was so random I'd like to think so as well.

Or it was probably to establish Ezio was a womanizer and all that. :rolleyes:

5 Minerva, Juno and......?

I swear I heard the name somewhere...

Can't remember unfortunately. :confused:

dimbismp
03-05-2015, 03:56 PM
I think you mean Jupiter

Megas_Doux
03-05-2015, 03:59 PM
Didn't Adéwalé crash it before getting stranded on Saint Dominique?

Nope, the one sunk in the beginning of Freedom Cry was called Victoire, then he acquires Experto Crede

I think you mean Jupiter

Jupiter or Tinia, is a male. In that image you see three females....

Weazur
03-05-2015, 04:09 PM
Why didn't Lucy glow red when you looked at her with Eagle Vision?

RADAR__4077
03-05-2015, 04:49 PM
Why did Bellec get himself thrown into prison to find the markings on the Bastille walls, only to completely forget about it without offering any explanation of why they were so important?

Altair1789
03-05-2015, 05:20 PM
"The sun... your son"

They just dropped that completely

Why did Bellec get himself thrown into prison to find the markings on the Bastille walls, only to completely forget about it without offering any explanation of why they were so important?

This is also unexplained

Namikaze_17
03-05-2015, 05:30 PM
Nope, the one sunk in the beginning of Freedom Cry was called Victoire, then he acquires Experto Crede

Right, right.

Why do I keep thinking Edward gave it to him? :confused:

---

The "sun...your son" thing is pretty simple really.

16 was just crazy and figured it was a Desmond from a different reality that had a son.

That's it.

Though it definitely could've went much much deeper. :/

Why didn't Lucy glow red when you looked at her with Eagle Vision?

It's a plothole.

Desmond just didn't believe her to be evil so that hindered his sense to see her true intentions.

VestigialLlama4
03-05-2015, 05:55 PM
"The sun... your son"

They just dropped that completely

Nope they explained this finally in BLACK FLAG. Desmond's Audio Recordings(courtesy Darby McDevitt) solves this issue (and also explains how Connor and Washington saw that alternate universe):

And in the end I guess they figured I was their most likely candidate... some guy named Desmond, living at the beginning of the twenty-first century of the Common Era... but which Desmond was the right one? Because, you see probability is a weird thing... it can branch out in so any ways... which version of me did they need? Was it the Desmond who got married early and had a son... the one who stayed single in New York... or was it the Desmond who moved to San Francisco to be a waiter... or maybe it was the me who never ran away from his parents in the first place.
-DESMOND FILES

Barlog06
03-05-2015, 06:58 PM
The Truth from Brotherhood. I never really focused myself on "The sun... your son". Mb because I never really liked this "family thing" in stories like this. I even didn't like William - Desmond father - son thing, Desmond's relationship with Lucy was much better for me.

But what I really liked in Brotherhood's Truth, is that phrase: "Eden. She... in Eden. Find Eve. The key. Her DNA...". And Clay said that to Desmond! And even if Ubi will do this ptol later and someone else in future AC games will do that, it wouldn't be so good, cause it was supposed to be Desmond's path! That would be really epic! But I got really dissapointed, because in Revelations Clay didn't even mention any of these. Like that conversation never happened.

And the second thing is also from Brotherhood. From finale. After Desmond stabbed Lucy, Juno said something like that: "It is done. The way lies all before you. Only she remains to be found. Awaken the Sixth. Go ALONE". And what we had here? Desmond didn't find anyone (Eve?) and didn't awaken the Sixth. Another plot line was just cut...

-----------------------------
Ofc, I'll be glad if Ubi will bring Desmond back to do all this stuff =)

Alphacos007
03-05-2015, 09:15 PM
The greatest plotholes? The first thing that comes into my mind is The Truth in AC Brotherhood.

By far, the whole "The Truth" thing for me.

wvstolzing
03-05-2015, 09:41 PM
7 Juno, Minerva and......?

That's Diana/Artemis. There was an article in that Italian lore-site about that panel [can't fetch the link right now], though I don't think they knew either, why she was included there.

Namikaze_17
03-05-2015, 09:45 PM
That's Diana/Artemis.

There we go!

Thanks, wvstolzing.

Megas_Doux
03-05-2015, 09:49 PM
That's Diana/Artemis. There was an article in that Italian lore-site about that panel [can't fetch the link right now], though I don't think they knew either, why she was included there.

Access the animus indeed! In fact that´s where I got the pic.

However that was just SPECULATION on basic greekRoman/etruscan mythology. Nothing official, though. As far as we know, it could be Aphrodite/venus....

cawatrooper9
03-05-2015, 10:11 PM
I guess what I want to know most: EXACTLY, what happened to Connor later in his life?

Xangr8
03-05-2015, 10:26 PM

That! Maybe they were drawn by Subject 16's ancestor during the French Revolution ;)

Hans684
03-05-2015, 10:38 PM
Fans

Selian DeSang
03-05-2015, 10:48 PM
according to the codex altair hid his p.o.e. in cypress, later with ezio we see borgia coming back from cypress with a p.o.e., we later learn that altair moved it back to turkey..... WHERE THE HECK DID BORGIA GET A PIECE OF EDEN!

Namikaze_17
03-05-2015, 11:40 PM
I guess what I want to know most: EXACTLY, what happened to Connor later in his life?

Rebuild the order to its peak, met some pretty blonde woman, got busy, had some children, and eventually she left him for some unknown reason and he dies some years later.

There you go. ;)

Megas_Doux
03-05-2015, 11:47 PM
according to the codex altair hid his p.o.e. in cypress, later with ezio we see borgia coming back from cypress with a p.o.e., we later learn that altair moved it back to turkey..... WHERE THE HECK DID BORGIA GET A PIECE OF EDEN!

Altair´s apple is the one he got from Robert the sable, the rumor of it being in Cyprus -whether that was intented as such or not by the writers from the beginning is another story- originated via Altair and his desire to keep people away from Masyaf. Ezio´s apple being in Cyprus, coincidentally, was there because the templars hid it there. As for its origins, according to assassins creed recollections, it was in possession of Mehmet II, the one who conquered Constantinople and then it was passed down to the templars who hid it in Cyprus, the old location of their archive, until the "time was right". Then Ezio took it from Rodrigo Borgia, then Savonarola, Ezio again, The Borgias, Ezio and finally Desmond....

Speaking of which...What happened to it after Desmond´s fate???????

ze_topazio
03-05-2015, 11:51 PM
We can assume the Assassins still have it.

Namikaze_17
03-05-2015, 11:55 PM
Speaking of which...What happened to it after Desmond´s fate???????

Last we saw it was the mission to save William.

After that? *Makes I don't know noise*

But he most likely gave it to William off-screen. He's the only one that has the genes to sustain it at least for a little while.

And yes, even that's iffy too due to the mention in Revelations.

Fatal-Feit
03-06-2015, 12:05 AM

It's in the wiki.

EaglePrince25
03-06-2015, 04:18 PM
Eve.

Built up to, pointed out, and then completely dropped when Desmond meets Clay in Revalations.

wvstolzing
03-06-2015, 04:31 PM
Eve.

Built up to, pointed out, and then completely dropped when Desmond meets Clay in Revalations.

She got name-dropped at the end of ACL. What more do you want? :rolleyes:

Hans684
03-06-2015, 05:00 PM
Assassins, you can't solve them.

Xangr8
03-06-2015, 05:06 PM

And was also mentioned in Dead Kings :rolleyes:

wvstolzing
03-06-2015, 06:18 PM
And was also mentioned in Dead Kings :rolleyes:

I have no clue what that was about; were those two soldiers talking about the same 'Eve'? What would they know about her?

SixKeys
03-06-2015, 06:51 PM
Not that it wouldn't be nice if they finally picked up the whole "who is Eve?" mystery again, but it's happening several games too late. Unity was supposed to be a good starting point to newbies into the series' lore, which it really isn't, so people who haven't played the early games will play Dead Kings and either miss the Eve reference completely or be confused about it. Those who have played the old games know the bitter disappointment of investing themselves into a storyline that seems to be headed somewhere, only to turn into a dead end, so they're past caring.

On Subject 16: I personally hate the "alternate Desmonds" explanation. Technically it isn't a plothole anymore since they explained it, but I hate the explanation because AC didn't use to play around with alternate realities. It feels like a copout. Why would TWCB set up such an elaborate plan, spanning centuries, just to find one person who may not even exist? In some alternate reality Desmond could have died in a motorcycle accident when he was 15 and all their efforts would have been pointless. So the whole "oh, they just took a shot in the dark and happened to land on the one Desmond out of thousands of possible ones that they needed, and THEN needed him to make the right choice to save the world" is absolutely ridiculous. So many variables, so many things that could go wrong. It's a really weak resolution and makes TWCB look like idiots.

VestigialLlama4
03-06-2015, 07:08 PM
Why would TWCB set up such an elaborate plan, spanning centuries, just to find one person who may not even exist? In some alternate reality Desmond could have died in a motorcycle accident when he was 15 and all their efforts would have been pointless.

Alternate universes don't really work that way (Cf: Bioshock Infinite), there are constants (that Desmond wouldn't die of a motorcycle accident or that he would live to a certain age, certain things that never change in any AU). The variables are more subtle, as Desmond said he could have married after he left the Assassins, become a mechanic in San Francisco but ultimately they went for the deadbeat without a career and job who became a bartender in New York.

So the whole "oh, they just took a shot in the dark and happened to land on the one Desmond out of thousands of possible ones that they needed, and THEN needed him to make the right choice to save the world" is absolutely ridiculous. So many variables, so many things that could go wrong. It's a really weak resolution and makes TWCB look like idiots.

The TWCB could only see forward with their technology (which as per BF lore involved the Antikythera Mechanism) but the problem was that it involved various calculations and alternate futures. The TWCB ultimately calculated that Deadbeat!Loser! Desmond was their best choice. Subject 16 after being exposed to visions from Juno confused TWCB calculations with Desmond's reality. The fact is the future is very much unknown even to the TWCB as Minerva and Jupiter keep telling Desmond, they anticipated a solar flare but the precise details of how it went down and if it would be averted was unknowable.

SixKeys
03-06-2015, 07:20 PM
Alternate universes don't really work that way (Cf: Bioshock Infinite), there are constants (that Desmond wouldn't die of a motorcycle accident or that he would live to a certain age, certain things that never change in any AU). The variables are more subtle, as Desmond said he could have married after he left the Assassins, become a mechanic in San Francisco but ultimately they went for the deadbeat without a career and job who became a bartender in New York.

Um, yes they do. I don't know or care how Bioshock Infinite handled alternate universes, but if that game claimed there are limitations, then that only applies to that game's interpretation of alternate realities. Alternate universes are literally endless possibilities, which is why using them in any story is always bound to create plotholes (kind of like time travel).

VestigialLlama4
03-06-2015, 07:37 PM
Um, yes they do. I don't know or care how Bioshock Infinite handled alternate universes, but if that game claimed there are limitations, then that only applies to that game's interpretation of alternate realities.

Bioshock Infinite uses quantum mechanics as grounding for alternate universes not comic books (where there's a universe of Superman as a Zombie and so on). Black Flag specifically identifies the First Civ technology as being based on quantum technology, with the Nexus being accessed with a "quantum calculation" device. In quantum mechanics, alternate universes aren't really simplistic as comic books make them out to be. There are certain elements that don't change.

Alternate universes are literally endless possibilities, which is why using them in any story is always bound to create plotholes (kind of like time travel)

It's not really Time Travel in AC, as Juno says, they can't go and change the past, they can only send messages forward. That is a fixed limitation. There's no going back and changing any past. It's simply sending messages forward in time.

EaglePrince25
03-06-2015, 08:38 PM

Haven't played it, but how about an end to the name-dropping and an actual answer? Again, Desmond was told to find her, met the person who told him, and it was never discussed between them. That makes no sense.

wvstolzing
03-06-2015, 09:09 PM
I can't help but think that the entire theme of 'future probability calculations' was a clumsy adaptation of Isaac Asimov's fictional future science of "psychohistory" -- which is itself a pretty clumsy affair. In the Foundation series, a great mathematician -- Hari Seldon, the last great scientist of the Galactic Empire, about 25000 years from the present day -- figures out a way of predicting the behavior of human societies; and the odds for the future of the Empire all turn out to be catastrophic. To preserve the spark of civilization he devises a plan, which involves recording holographic messages for the descendants of the 'Foundation' he establishes (there's more than one Foundation ... and it gets pretty convoluted later on) to play at intervals of so many decades. So they go into a Time Vault, and a hologram of Seldon speaks to them, accurately predicting from centuries back the situation they're in, and what they might expect in the decades to follow, etc. etc.

Seldon invents a device called the 'prime radiant'; it's like a holographic projector of mathematical formulae; and some of Asimov's descriptions as to how it lights up a room, etc., may have inspired some of Minerva's 'magic' inside the vaults in AC2 and ACB.

Though in Asimov, there's no *pinpointing* of individuals *by name*, across millennia -- predictions are made at the level of entire societies.

It seems as though the writers at ubisoft wanted to give our guy, Desmond, a messianic role; hence Minerva's reference to him by name. It's a huge mistake, in my opinion; it takes the sci-fi core of the idea, and turns it into something that smacks far too strongly of the supernatural for my taste.

JustPlainQuirky
03-06-2015, 09:17 PM
Why was Shay not mentioned in Forsaken

SixKeys
03-06-2015, 09:39 PM
I can't help but think that the entire theme of 'future probability calculations' was a clumsy adaptation of Isaac Asimov's fictional future science of "psychohistory" -- which is itself a pretty clumsy affair. In the Foundation series, a great mathematician -- Hari Seldon, the last great scientist of the Galactic Empire, about 25000 years from the present day -- figures out a way of predicting the behavior of human societies; and the odds for the future of the Empire all turn out to be catastrophic. To preserve the spark of civilization he devises a plan, which involves recording holographic messages for the descendants of the 'Foundation' he establishes (there's more than one Foundation ... and it gets pretty convoluted later on) to play at intervals of so many decades. So they go into a Time Vault, and a hologram of Seldon speaks to them, accurately predicting from centuries back the situation they're in, and what they might expect in the decades to follow, etc. etc.

Seldon invents a device called the 'prime radiant'; it's like a holographic projector of mathematical formulae; and some of Asimov's descriptions as to how it lights up a room, etc., may have inspired some of Minerva's 'magic' inside the vaults in AC2 and ACB.

Though in Asimov, there's no *pinpointing* of individuals *by name*, across millennia -- predictions are made at the level of entire societies.

It seems as though the writers at ubisoft wanted to give our guy, Desmond, a messianic role; hence Minerva's reference to him by name. It's a huge mistake, in my opinion; it takes the sci-fi core of the idea, and turns it into something that smacks far too strongly of the supernatural for my taste.

Calling Desmond by name wasn't the mistake IMO, the idea of alternate timelines was. TWCB could somehow see into Desmond's alternate timelines, but what about all the variables in Altaïr, Eziop and Connor's lives that could have led to their message never being delivered? What safety measures did Minerva and co. take to ensure they had the right Ezio when they decided to guide him into the Vault? It could have been an Ezio who would have noped the hell out of there as soon as he saw this ho0lographic ghost appear before him. It could have been an Ezio who didn't give a **** about what happened after the Borgia were dead. It could have been an Ezio who slipped on a banana peel, hit his head on the floor and died as soon as he stepped out of that Vault.

When Minerva called Desmond by name, it made sense to assume she had already SEEN the future and knew that her part in Desmond's timeline was inevitable. This would basically mean TWCB had some sort of advanced machine that allowed them to see into the future - a fixed future, not just endless probabilities. They essentially knew ahead of time that Desmond was going to save the world, because they had already seen it. They were simply messengers in their own way. It would have fit way better into the whole free will vs. control theme of the overall series: does Desmond even have a choice? If it's his destiny to save the world no matter what (i.e. he is controlled by the will of TWCB), does that mean free will is an illusion and the assassins are wrong? Or should the assassins still always follow their heart because humans don't possess the power to see the future and TWCB can't always be trusted?

I just really hate that they went with the alternate probabilities route because it makes the First Civ members look like complete tools instead of the mysterious, wise beings they were in AC2-ACR.

ze_topazio
03-07-2015, 12:48 AM
They calculated all possible scenarios for the entire history of humankind and then using their wisdom picked the most likely route, it doesn't negate free will because all our decisions are made based on our personality, education, environment, external factors, etc..., they just calculated people's most likely reactions, based on this they knew Desmond would choose to save the world, but he could still be influenced to choose something else, that's why Minerva showed him another possibility when she discovered about Juno, Minerva was not counting on Juno interfering, she probably never took such possibility in consideration when trying to predict the future, when she used the time machine cellphone for the last time, Juno's spirit was there with Desmond, by then it was too late to alter the entire plan, her last resort was trying to convince Desmond to choose a different option.

Xangr8
03-07-2015, 09:02 AM
I have no clue what that was about; were those two soldiers talking about the same 'Eve'? What would they know about her?

They said Lady Eve probably an ancestor of the Eve 16 talked 'bout.
They just can't drop all the Eve thing now they've done so much with it. I feel that the Dead Kings' Lady Eve is the crescendo :3

Why was Shay not mentioned in Forsaken

I love to think of this comic (http://sunsetagain.deviantart.com/art/Bonfire-of-the-Creed-488233186) as being canon :3 I haven't played the game yet (will be playing next week) so I can't say much.

NondairyGold
03-07-2015, 05:47 PM
Calling Desmond by name wasn't the mistake IMO, the idea of alternate timelines was. TWCB could somehow see into Desmond's alternate timelines, but what about all the variables in Altaïr, Eziop and Connor's lives that could have led to their message never being delivered? What safety measures did Minerva and co. take to ensure they had the right Ezio when they decided to guide him into the Vault? It could have been an Ezio who would have noped the hell out of there as soon as he saw this ho0lographic ghost appear before him. It could have been an Ezio who didn't give a **** about what happened after the Borgia were dead. It could have been an Ezio who slipped on a banana peel, hit his head on the floor and died as soon as he stepped out of that Vault.

When Minerva called Desmond by name, it made sense to assume she had already SEEN the future and knew that her part in Desmond's timeline was inevitable. This would basically mean TWCB had some sort of advanced machine that allowed them to see into the future - a fixed future, not just endless probabilities. They essentially knew ahead of time that Desmond was going to save the world, because they had already seen it. They were simply messengers in their own way. It would have fit way better into the whole free will vs. control theme of the overall series: does Desmond even have a choice? If it's his destiny to save the world no matter what (i.e. he is controlled by the will of TWCB), does that mean free will is an illusion and the assassins are wrong? Or should the assassins still always follow their heart because humans don't possess the power to see the future and TWCB can't always be trusted?

I just really hate that they went with the alternate probabilities route because it makes the First Civ members look like complete tools instead of the mysterious, wise beings they were in AC2-ACR.

All this is perfectly explainable and based in scientific theory!!! It's hard to get your head around and even scientists are having a hard time trying to explain it. If you take a quick look at these two articles that try explain it in simple terms :

http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn26267-four-ways-you-can-see-the-multiverse.html#.VPsnTvmsVK4

http://listverse.com/2013/02/22/10-mind-bending-implications-of-the-many-worlds-theory/

In short TWCB used a quantum computer to see all variables of all Desmond's ancestors to get to where we are now; for example when Ezio is born in AC 2 in another universe he doesn't survive he dies, there's even a universe where Desmond refused to use the pedestal and became that messiah like figure.