PDA

View Full Version : PS4 Banashur's Wrath - Platformer/Thriller ~ Advice/Comments?

Schizophear
03-03-2015, 10:29 PM
Hey guys, name's Schizophear on PS4. I just recently posted an extraction map called "Banashur's Wrath" - a map in which the player(s) awaken on a chunk of floating land. Although the world seems to have been destroyed by a supernatural force, very few beings know what really happened on these forsaken grounds... But your only hope of escaping the apocalyptic sky realm is to steal a group of soldier's plane.

WARNING: Can be difficult, depending on how strategically you can take on wolves.

Fallen-Champ
03-04-2015, 12:12 AM
I will take a look tomorrow and se how far I can get, thanks for letting us know about the map.

Schizophear
03-04-2015, 12:47 AM
I will take a look tomorrow and se how far I can get, thanks for letting us know about the map.

Thanks, I appreciate it! Hope you enjoy it :D

Fallen-Champ
03-04-2015, 12:05 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8mfcrk-OXDw&feature=youtu.be
Very difficult at the start to know where to go, I kept looking around and falling off to my death - around 10 attempts later I thought I had it nailed but again dropped to my death.

This is an obstacle course type map - I will have to play it some more in hope that I can get to the end, I think the map will be rewarding if you have the patience but the majority will not understand what they are supposed to do I fear.

I will leave further comments after getting further through the map at a latyer date.

Schizophear
03-04-2015, 03:46 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8mfcrk-OXDw&feature=youtu.be
Very difficult at the start to know where to go, I kept looking around and falling off to my death - around 10 attempts later I thought I had it nailed but again dropped to my death.

This is an obstacle course type map - I will have to play it some more in hope that I can get to the end, I think the map will be rewarding if you have the patience but the majority will not understand what they are supposed to do I fear.

I will leave further comments after getting further through the map at a latyer date.

Ahh, that makes sense. It wasn't as hard for me because I created it, but I could see how it would be. I tried to use a couple indicators, to show where to go, but I might have gotten too ambitious with the level. This is one reason I believe that Ubisoft should add a "Map Description" function that allows you to define the map in your own words, maybe guide people along, but only just. I had a whole storyline in my head, and I had this vision of a great map, but you're right - it's just too confusing. It gets pretty difficult at some stages, points where even I had issues conquering at first, and I didn't take into account that a majority of players won't be as patient with it as I am, I was willing to go above and beyond to play it, but a lot of players aren't looking for an in-depth experience. I'll definitely take this into consideration when I create newer maps. Thank you for helping me realize that!

P.S. The video was a great first hand experience as to where the difficulty lies! Thank you for this, it was more than I expected!

Schizophear
03-04-2015, 03:54 PM
My opinion is to make the first part to the zipline easier and more straight-forward, I got confused alot the first few attempts to find out where to go. Maybe if the grapples followed one after another in the same general direction.

After grappling I thought there were too many wolves - I think around 4 or 5 maximum would be better and have the gun and ammo placed at the end of the zipline - it would suggest that you need to use it for something coming up, instead of placing where the wolves are already attacking you.

After the wolves I died jumping across rocks and thats about as far as I got. It was already my 5th attempt and I gave up.

I do think its a good inventive map but could be made to play a bit easier, more fun and less of a puzzle.

This is good advice, and I will definitely make the changes needed. Even though I don't like that I can't delete a published map, I will suffer through the OCD to make the map more enjoyable and less of a chore. I focused too much on the feel and visuals of the map, I had forgotten the whole reason we play them. Thank you very much!~

Fallen-Champ
03-04-2015, 04:44 PM
Schizo there will always be people who love a hard challenge and who will have the patience time and time again to keep playing until they complete a map so I am sure if those people find your map they will play it.

I have just had 3 more goes and I managed to get down the zipline this time (it feel better the further I get but frustrating when I die)
The next 3 goes I got snagged on the grappling hooks, this is an issue because I know where to go but sometimes (not every time) the rope gets snagged on wooden platforms - the only way is to let go and die then start again.

Now these types of map have always been very popular on the Xbox Side - Liam made his own style called Real Course (he made about 12 on Far Cry Predator) then he made a lot of FC2 also, there were others who created their own styles also, lots of the maps were Escape Type maps where you have to navigate jumps and solve puzzles and things - Map Builder / razor and many others pushed the boundaries but the style changed from the old Obstacle Course type map which seems to be what you have - That is a good thing to see this type return.

What would help is if the Devs could create a checkpoint type system but how would we get that over to them (it would be hard to explain) basically think Sonic The Hedgehog, when the player gets to a specific point if they die then they spawn at that last checkpoint.

Now players would not have to go through the whole process again BUT some do like the challenge that if they make one mistake they die.
I myself try to have ways out so if you fall you land on water and have a way to get back to try again - we are all different and have different ideas.

For the climbing / jumping sections I don't think you need to make it easier but make it so that it is smooth so players don't get stuck too often.

I can't comment on the wolves as I have not got that far yet :) (I will keep trying)
The key is to build up excitement, let the player think they are doing well and then throw in some surprises - but reward a player by giving some easy sections or health and goodies so they don't get too bogged down by the difficulty.

You can always publish an easy and a hard version and make 2 edits of a map.
Please stay in touch on here when you make other maps and I will let you know how I progress with this one - My intention is to get through it to the end at some point.

Schizophear
03-04-2015, 05:08 PM
Schizo there will always be people who love a hard challenge and who will have the patience time and time again to keep playing until they complete a map so I am sure if those people find your map they will play it.

I have just had 3 more goes and I managed to get down the zipline this time (it feel better the further I get but frustrating when I die)
The next 3 goes I got snagged on the grappling hooks, this is an issue because I know where to go but sometimes (not every time) the rope gets snagged on wooden platforms - the only way is to let go and die then start again.

Now these types of map have always been very popular on the Xbox Side - Liam made his own style called Real Course (he made about 12 on Far Cry Predator) then he made a lot of FC2 also, there were others who created their own styles also, lots of the maps were Escape Type maps where you have to navigate jumps and solve puzzles and things - Map Builder / razor and many others pushed the boundaries but the style changed from the old Obstacle Course type map which seems to be what you have - That is a good thing to see this type return.

What would help is if the Devs could create a checkpoint type system but how would we get that over to them (it would be hard to explain) basically think Sonic The Hedgehog, when the player gets to a specific point if they die then they spawn at that last checkpoint.

Now players would not have to go through the whole process again BUT some do like the challenge that if they make one mistake they die.
I myself try to have ways out so if you fall you land on water and have a way to get back to try again - we are all different and have different ideas.

For the climbing / jumping sections I don't think you need to make it easier but make it so that it is smooth so players don't get stuck too often.

I can't comment on the wolves as I have not got that far yet :) (I will keep trying)
The key is to build up excitement, let the player think they are doing well and then throw in some surprises - but reward a player by giving some easy sections or health and goodies so they don't get too bogged down by the difficulty.

You can always publish an easy and a hard version and make 2 edits of a map.
Please stay in touch on here when you make other maps and I will let you know how I progress with this one - My intention is to get through it to the end at some point.

Glad you enjoy the style! It did have a lot more chuggy-grapple moments than I realized, I played a few times through and hadn't realized how buggy the ledge system can be if it isn't placed correctly. The wolves are pretty excessive, but it is definitely possible to beat, as I have beaten it many times to be sure. It just takes more memorization than a game with a checkpoint system can handle. I probably would have given up.

I am, as I type this, working on a more accessible version, that way we'll have a gritty and unrefined harder version, and then a version based more on casual play, but still maintaining it's feeling. Thank you for the feedback, it's reassuring to know that the first version may yet be played :D

Also, I do plan on staying with the community, giving people my own feedback and asking for others. So far, I've gotten really good insight on future development, and I am excited to start a new map today :D

Fallen-Champ
03-04-2015, 07:13 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OYocy3ffz-A&feature=youtu.be

The wolves were ok for me I only got several at a time - I was looking for somewhere to jump onto in case loads more came all at once.

I am confident that I can get to that rock jump most times now but not sure how much further to the end ?
Is the map huge - how long would you say on average to complete it Schizo

Schizophear
03-04-2015, 08:04 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OYocy3ffz-A&feature=youtu.be

The wolves were ok for me I only got several at a time - I was looking for somewhere to jump onto in case loads more came all at once.

I am confident that I can get to that rock jump most times now but not sure how much further to the end ?
Is the map huge - how long would you say on average to complete it Schizo

Awesome, it seems like the wolves are pretty unpredictable, sometimes they pack together, sometimes they come a couple at a time. And well, it's hard to say, my completion times are fairly fast because I know how the map is built, but you are closer to the end than you may think! The rock jump leads to a nice plateau that will prepare you for the next (and last) challenge. Thanks for the videos and the updates, you are near the end! I think that if you made it this far, you will complete it very soon!