PDA

View Full Version : We need to go back to the captcha log-in

EmptyCrustacean
03-02-2015, 01:04 PM
As much as I'd hate to say it, since removing the feature all the nasty little bots have flooded in and it's ruining the forums.

Farlander1991
03-02-2015, 01:07 PM
I remember hating the captcha system not because it was there, but because bots were still flooding the forums while it was in place...
As far as I understand that's mainly because a lot of those accounts aren't actually bots.

Mr_Shade
03-02-2015, 02:05 PM
As much as I'd hate to say it, since removing the feature all the nasty little bots have flooded in and it's ruining the forums.

It's still in place?

Thing is a lot of the 'bots' are people - they can still bypass this, anything stricter - would also stop real fans from posting..

Shahkulu101
03-02-2015, 02:09 PM
Yep, they aren't bots.

But they aren't exactly what I'd call 'people'... Human vermin more like.

bitebug2003
03-02-2015, 03:09 PM
Weekends seem to be worse though and some fly under the radar because of the inconspicuous thread titles.

Jackdaw951
03-03-2015, 07:45 PM
It's still in place?

Thing is a lot of the 'bots' are people - they can still bypass this, anything stricter - would also stop real fans from posting..

That's just it. Now that real people are hired to be bots, those methods impede more legitimate logins than malicious ones. How about giving some trusted forum members limited powers to delete spam, or at least mark spam for easy deletion by a full mod?

Jackdaw951
03-12-2015, 10:12 AM
Here's another suggestion: virtual batons.

As long as mods have some batons checked out, new users can register. If no batons are checked out, new users cannot register. For this to work:

(1) Mods need to make sure to take a baton when they're on duty, and put it back when they're going off duty.
(2) Spammers must be properly banned every time.

JustPlainQuirky
03-12-2015, 03:44 PM
while we're at it could we have back the simple "remember me" checkbox so we dont have to re-login every 5 hours

Mr_Shade
03-12-2015, 03:48 PM
while we're at it could we have back the simple "remember me" checkbox so we dont have to re-login every 5 hours

Unfortunately it's a time out for security - however much some people would prefer it - it's sometimes dangerous for most to stay logged in - if you value your account safety.

If you wish to bypass this, you can do with plug ins for your browser - or simply ask the browser to remember your log in details - which would solve the issue.

But do remember - if another person uses your account, its the owner held responsible ;)

JustPlainQuirky
03-12-2015, 03:49 PM
If you wish to bypass this, you can do with plug ins for your browser - or simply ask the browser to remember your log in details - which would solve the issue.

when i log into chrome it never asks if i want to remember my password

imma try updating

didnt know about that

thanks

Mr_Shade
03-12-2015, 03:51 PM
when i log into chrome it never asks if i want to remember my password

imma try updating

didnt know about that

thanks

It should ask ;)

Then you just hit login - and it fills the details for you.

HOWEVER - please make sure no one else uses your pc if you use this, since it can result in 'issues';)

JustPlainQuirky
03-12-2015, 04:02 PM
-3- okie dokie