PDA

View Full Version : refueling and reloading Q

jimmyboy99
04-08-2004, 01:18 PM
hey i am fairly new at the game and i have not yet landed in teh game and then tooken bak off. i was wondering if u go bak home because of low fuel or ammo in the middle of a mission, after u land will u have a fresh set of ammo and fuel. ok well i think u will understand this please reply laters.

jimmyboy99
04-08-2004, 01:18 PM
hey i am fairly new at the game and i have not yet landed in teh game and then tooken bak off. i was wondering if u go bak home because of low fuel or ammo in the middle of a mission, after u land will u have a fresh set of ammo and fuel. ok well i think u will understand this please reply laters.

georgeo76
04-08-2004, 01:25 PM
nope, you must hit re-fly and get a fresh AC to replenish fuel and ammo

lil_labbit
04-08-2004, 02:36 PM
There is no re-fueling / re-arming at airfields in IL-2 (pitty realy), after landing on an airfield press Esc key, then click the Refly button, re-select (another) plane if needed, re-arm (if you want different ammo), then fly again. At that moment you will get your score points also (press S to seem them).

http://members.home.nl/lil.labbit/lilseesya.jpg
Night is better than Day

jimmyboy99
04-09-2004, 02:49 PM
i was just thinking wouldnt be more life like if u could land and reload and refuel, its jsut a thought, but i liked it

LEXX_Luthor
04-09-2004, 03:54 PM
This is the first Q that I asked when I got the FB last April, was my first thread.

I too would ~love~ to sim all day missions if I fly short range intercepts or missions close to front line--like on Easter Front. But no, Oleg considers rearming and re~fueling a cult and Evil activity that flight simmers are better off not doing.

Zeus-cat
04-09-2004, 03:55 PM
This has been discussed in the past and I think the developers said they won't put in the game. It took too long to rearm and refuel in real life to make this practical in a sim that tries to be as realistic as possible.

Zeus-cat

El Turo
04-09-2004, 03:58 PM
Sure would be nice as a toggle-able feature for co-op play, would it not?

Sit on the tarmac for X minutes and get at least a splash of fuel and perhaps a partial re-arm? Have this be a variable able to be set by the server admins.

Callsign "Turo" in IL2:FB & WWIIOL

LEXX_Luthor
04-09-2004, 03:59 PM
Don't let Zeus-cat, or Oleg, trick you.

Hungarian or Rumanian (I believe) Hs~129 pilots flew up to fifteen (15) missions per day when their ground support was desperatly needed.

After attacking USA bombers, the German Fb109 pilots landed and refit to take off again to hit USA bombers again on their way back to England.

Almost all of Easter Front, like Kursk battle, were flown from airfields close to front line. Both sides landed, refit, and took off again many times a day.

What nobobdy is talking about here is the dedication needed to create a FB mission that will last for several hours. That is the Pink Elephant for the Board.

lil_labbit
04-09-2004, 04:01 PM
Well that's a consideration now going on also for PF (the start below-decks then up with an elevator). Agreed it took long - STILL - it would be great - I'd rather have an "accelerated" arming/re-arming etc. that's a BIT unreal than what we have now - which is TOTALLY unreal http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Big bonus would be - you could be shot while doing it hehe (is that a bonus? lol maybe for the guy that hits you)...

http://members.home.nl/lil.labbit/lilseesya.jpg
Night is better than Day

LEXX_Luthor
04-09-2004, 04:27 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Big bonus would be - you could be shot while doing it hehe (is that a bonus? lol maybe for the guy that hits you)...<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Sitting vulnerable on your airfield is part of the historical Realism.

There was that time in Philippines when USA launched Brewsters to intercept Japanese but they launched too early and came back to refuel. That's when the Japanese showed up.

Zeus-cat
04-09-2004, 04:33 PM
LEXX_Luthor,

I stand corrected. 15 missions in a day. That took a lot of effort bythe pilots and the ground crews.

I was basing my comments on the films I have seen of ground crews reloading P-51s or P-47s. They were loading over 2,000 MG rounds into the aircraft and it looked like a heck of a long process to me.

I imagine reloading a plane with cannon rounds could be done much faster especially if the plane was designed for it. Planes that carry cannons carry much less ammo than a plane like the P-51 and its 2,000 (or more) rounds of MG ammo.

Refueling a plane could also be done quickly if the ground crews were trained to do it and the plane was designed properly.

Don't get me wrong, it would be nice feature, but I doubt we will see it.

Zeus-cat

LEXX_Luthor
04-09-2004, 04:42 PM
Right on Zeus!

P~51 and P~47 were HUGE complicated planes and they mostly operated from very large US Army bases hundreds of miles from battlefield, and for that reason alone they would usually fly only 1 mission per day.

But short range Fb109s and Yaks based on dirt fields only 50 miles from Kursk frontlines are another story. I recall reading one Fb109 ace was shot down during Kursk battle, caught a truck back to base, and flew again that day.

Yes, a slow truck took him to base, so close are the distances of many frontline fields to the battle area. One of the really neat things that could be experienced is sitting on field refitting and enemy tanks show up on the field. This happened alot on Easter Front.

I wish Stiglr was here to help us about this Realism issue, but he/she is internet dogfighter only. http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

XyZspineZyX
04-09-2004, 06:09 PM
Well, since you asked, here's my take on it.

Refuel should NOT be part of the offline mission experience. On average, it took 45 minutes for ground crew of most AFs to refuel fighting units (admittedly there were some exceptional crews and exceptional situations, but normally, turnaround time was closer to an hour than not), and offline campaign missions seldom are scripted to be over 1 hour or so. Also, for an offline mission, isn't the object of the exercise to "get the mission done" with that one airplane and it's loadout? If you do so, you win, if you fail (for whatever reason), you fail.

Online, it'd be probably just as bad, but then, in a dogfight server, one "respawns" anyway, which isn't very realistic, but there's not a lot to be done about it.

Chivas
04-09-2004, 08:23 PM
The option of refueling and rearming would create a number of very interesting scenarios.
FB is full of unrealistic options that players are able to select as they see fit. I believe that R&R is even more realistic than hitting the refly button on your computer. It would even give you chance to visit the lew and naafi.(Sp?) then back into the fight.
It still amazing the number of simmers in FB that find this option offensive.

heywooood
04-09-2004, 08:33 PM
Refuel and rearm..?

Might as well deal out 3 day passes to Pickadilly.. you can geta couple of skirts over there know how to take care of a pilot - show you a good time and you can have THAT too .. 'cause all the skirts in Pickadilly these days have 3 legs... http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif

Me?.. I'll press refly and get in waaay more flyin'time than you.

"the foregoing statement was meant in the best possible way, the canadian way."

LEXX_Luthor
04-09-2004, 08:36 PM
Thanks Stiglr.

The problem I guess is difficulty in making very long lasting "missions" with the limited tools we have--and here we can see confusion over a difference between multiple "missions" flown during a long running mission file. I would love to fly a mission, and the next mission flown have the some of results of the previous mission included. The only way to do that now is with a 3rd Party program that makes "dynamic" missions and its NOT fun to do. Refueling and Rearming would help but the AI would need a long way to go too.

So, overall, no, not right now anyway. Looks like AI for BoB will not be able to handle it either, as Oleg does not want refitting in the new sim either.

Franzen
04-12-2004, 10:35 AM
C'mon you guyz, all you are doing with this thread is getting the vulchers excited about something they'll never have, thank god, or Oleg. Which one is superior? http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/images/smiley/11.gif

Fritz Franzen