PDA

View Full Version : Would you like for Arno to return in the next AC (as a protagonist)?

KillaDanny77
03-01-2015, 09:51 PM
So would you? Arno is an interesting character and reminds me a lot of ezio... And I'm really curious in to what kind of an assassin he becomes after the ending of unity

Hans684
03-01-2015, 09:52 PM
No.

Matknapers18
03-01-2015, 10:19 PM
I personally like Arno as a character, but theres pretty much no chance that we will see him as protagonist again. Ubisoft seem to be adopting the 'one game per protagonist' system. Which basically means, the characters get their game and then Ubisoft move onto the next protagonist. Plus, from what I saw in reviews and such, the general consensus is that Arno wasn't liked very much. Its a risky business decision selecting him again. Especially after IGN, the biggest gaming site, labelled him as bland. So Ubi will probably drop him, similar to what they did with Connor after his poor reception.

Altair1789
03-01-2015, 10:25 PM
No.

Ar no

Fatal-Feit
03-01-2015, 10:28 PM
Yes, but I want a new protagonist. Different protagonist per games, plz.

Namikaze_17
03-01-2015, 10:35 PM
I'd like for him to have a role similar to Alta´r in AC2 in Victory.

TexasCaesar
03-01-2015, 11:28 PM
No, because he reminds me of Ezio. We already had an Ezio, and Arno felt like a cash grab, an attempt to just piggy-back off of their old ideas so they could make another game.

Will_Lucky
03-02-2015, 01:27 AM
No, he isn't an Ezio unfortunately so I doubt we will see him again. Edward was the so far most well received character, but well they kind of killed him off. I do feel though that Ubi are desperate for another Ezio figure.

VestigialLlama4
03-02-2015, 03:32 AM
Ubisoft seem to be adopting the 'one game per protagonist' system.

No that's a lie they tell each other and the public. Arno was very much intended to start a Franchise for the next couple of games. But he crashed and burnt and exposed how shambolic their marketing and production principles are instead. That's why they are trying to bring this "one game per protagonist" thing now.

poptartz20
03-02-2015, 04:23 AM
okay... so I still have yet to finish this game so, my opinion isn't fully developed... there is always a game I pick up instead of finishing ACU gah.

but as of now. there is nothing that has grabbed me for me about him that makes him want to be a main protag again. So.. I'm on the border of no and not as main character.

marvelfannumber
03-02-2015, 01:09 PM
No that's a lie they tell each other and the public. Arno was very much intended to start a Franchise for the next couple of games. But he crashed and burnt and exposed how shambolic their marketing and production principles are instead. That's why they are trying to bring this "one game per protagonist" thing now.

That seems quite unlikely considering they already had 3 games in development by the time Unity launched. This model you are proposing here would be absolutely impossibile with the current anualization.

Shahkulu101
03-02-2015, 02:02 PM
Arno is not a similar character to Ezio.

Like really they're totally different people - there's an argument to be made that he was given qualities so he would be more 'likeable' but he's not an Ezio clone.

Namikaze_17
03-02-2015, 02:26 PM
^ There's no point.

If he's an Ezio clone to some, let them think it...

VestigialLlama4
03-02-2015, 02:47 PM
That seems quite unlikely considering they already had 3 games in development by the time Unity launched. This model you are proposing here would be absolutely impossibile with the current anualization.

Actually it very much is possible. The decision on what game to put out comes only after the previous title's reception and launch. BROTHERHOOD came after AC2's popular success and it's very clearly an expansion pack/DLC of II, with rehashed assets (as Darby McDevitt pointed out recently), Revelations was going to be LOST LEGACY and a DS title they upgraded to a full release, with a new city but again rehashed assets from II and Brotherhood.

AC3 was the title they worked on in the meantime and during the making of III they realized the sailing mechanic was brilliant and immediately started work on BLACK FLAG and then when III had a backlash among whiteboy gamers they decided to give it a numbered title for no reason. Had III been popular among whiteboys, maybe Connor would have appeared in Black Flag as an epilogue and/or special DLC or they might have delayed Black Flag another year and given a full Connor sequel that fans wanted. Had UNITY not been a buggy mess and had people actually liked the game, we would have had a full Arno sequel. What they want is a Franchise because its what the marketing and producing people are familiar with and its easier to make a single character/single setting saga with a readymade supporting cast for annual release than essentially reinvent the wheel with every time leap.

They make games across multiple studios, I have no doubt that based on feedback and reception, a certain game will get the green light and all studios drop whatever they are doing and work on that, with a small contingent working on the other games or researching future releases et al. As soon as UNITY crashed and burned, they decided to wipe a clean slate and made that rather obvious leak to Kotaku. Leaks like that are no accidents believe me.

Arno in the opening sequence wears a white shirt, black vest and black trousers and has a red ribbon around his ponytail - That's Ezio's Florentine Nobleman outfit.
Arno gets into fights with village rowdies and runs across town - Ezio-AC2, Sequence 1
Arno is a rich dude who is tasked to deliver an errand by his father-figure but is unable to deliver the message - Ezio-AC2, Sequence 1 (Failure to deliver his father's letter to Lorenzo de'Medici).
Arno has this affected roguish charm and witty quips - essentially a misrembered version of Ezio.

More to the point, in terms of facial features Arno is AC2-Ezio in Next-Gen.
http://www.unfinishedman.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/arno-dorian-training.jpg
http://25.media.tumblr.com/b15e8c070273c82969acfeffbc1bea9b/tumblr_mvl7tw7sVd1qcy62fo1_500.png

Also the name of the river of Florence is Arno, which is a coded reference to Ezio. I mean the idea is that he doesn't seem too French.

Of course Arno is not entirely an Ezio clone, he's also got traits of Edward Kenway (Alcoholism, jokes about Assassins being cults) and Altair (romance with the Templar girl but nothing else). He has nothing of Connor, you know the star of Ubisoft's bestselling game that it refuses to honor and wants people to forget.

Like really they're totally different people - there's an argument to be made that he was given qualities so he would be more 'likeable' but he's not an Ezio clone

Arno and Ezio are different in that Ezio is a character who changes and becomes mature and is a lot more than the simplistic macho Italiano that the first-impression of the guy in AC2, Sequence 1 will have you believe. He has no edge, he has nothing at stake and nothing interesting about him at all.

Farlander1991
03-02-2015, 03:34 PM
The decision on what game to put out comes only after the previous title's reception and launch. BROTHERHOOD came after AC2's popular success and it's very clearly an expansion pack/DLC of II, with rehashed assets (as Darby McDevitt pointed out recently),

That's because ACII at first had Rome in it that they had to cut, and they decided that it will be a set of DLCs instead (it was announced as "Assassin's Creed: Episodes"), which later evolved into Brotherhood. It wasn't a 'Ezio's popular, let's make another game!'

AC3 was the title they worked on in the meantime and during the making of III they realized the sailing mechanic was brilliant and immediately started work on BLACK FLAG

Only pre-production for Black Flag started after Revelation's release, and production started way before ACIII's release, so ACIII's reception wouldn't have changed a thing in regards to the main character or the overall plotline. (DLC and numbered title - quite possible, though).

They make games across multiple studios, I have no doubt that based on feedback and reception, a certain game will get the green light and all studios drop whatever they are doing and work on that, with a small contingent working on the other games or researching future releases et al.

No game company works like that.

The reason Lost Legacy was cancelled, btw, is when 3DS was announced at E3 Ubi has seen the competition and decided what they were working on would not be able to compete with that (as the game was essentially Discovery on 3DS). So Revelations appeared, and even Revelations, which was a very sudden project (one which I don't think will happen ever again in AC franchise, because quite frankly it's not best decision to start projects of that scale like that and Ubi knows it, at least now) did not actually make any big projects suddenly cancel, or move.

Basically, if Ubi planned to make a big game with Arno straight after Unity - there would've been a big game with Arno. And if we don't see Ubi making a big game with Arno straight after Unity - that's not because of Unity's reception. Unity's reception when it comes to main character might affect how that character is going to be integrated in smaller scale productions, but not when it comes to massive-scale releases unless it's several years into the future.

VestigialLlama4
03-02-2015, 03:52 PM
That's because ACII at first had Rome in it that they had to cut, and they decided that it will be a set of DLCs instead (it was announced as "Assassin's Creed: Episodes"),

Did not know this, thanks, it makes sense.

which later evolved into Brotherhood. It wasn't a 'Ezio's popular, let's make another game!'

SUURE it wasn't. :p

No game company works like that.

The reason Lost Legacy was cancelled, btw, is when 3DS was announced at E3 Ubi has seen the competition and decided what they were working on would not be able to compete with that (as the game was essentially Discovery on 3DS). So Revelations appeared, and even Revelations, which was a very sudden project (one which I don't think will happen ever again in AC franchise, because quite frankly it's not best decision to start projects of that scale like that and Ubi knows it, at least now) did not actually make any big projects suddenly cancel, or move.

On one hand, you say Ubisoft doesn't work like that on the other hand we have Revelations, a fairly competent product, an excellent minor game made very suddenly with a brand new city-map and new Bomb mechanic, which shows that they have the resources to work in the manner that "no game company works like" and put things together very fast.

Basically, if Ubi planned to make a big game with Arno straight after Unity - there would've been a big game with Arno. And if we don't see Ubi making a big game with Arno straight after Unity - that's not because of Unity's reception.

Alex Hutchinson himself admitted that after AC3 that a Connor sequel depended on whether he was as popular as Ezio that the team could spin a Franchise around. So its quite clear that the reception makes a big deal. There would definitely would have been an ACU - BROTHERHOOD or ACU - Revelations had he been that popular.

Unity's reception when it comes to main character might affect how that character is going to be integrated in smaller scale productions, but not when it comes to massive-scale releases unless it's several years into the future.

Based on the products they release, I see the contrary very much. Like it makes no sense for them to make Haytham Kenway the key figure in the New World trilogy had it not been for the whiteboy backlash. You know giving Haytham a cutesy cameo at the end of Black Flag and giving him a prequel in ROGUE (where his character sucks -- as he indeed sucks without Connor's perspective to anchor him). The fact is their marketing makes the key production decisions as is visible in their actions and decisions. And the marketing, because of the annualization largely reacts in a very knee-jerk fashion, so you have the manufactured leak and the like.

Farlander1991
03-02-2015, 04:10 PM
SUURE it wasn't.

It wasn't. Revelations - most likely, but not Brotherhood. It was an evolution of a project started without knowledge of how Ezio would've been received, stuff like this happens a lot.

On one hand, you say Ubisoft doesn't work like that on the other hand we have Revelations, a fairly competent product, an excellent minor game made very suddenly with a brand new city-map and new Bomb mechanic, which shows that they have the resources to work in the manner that "no game company works like" and put things together very fast.

It's different. You've essentially said that projects are cancelled or dropped depending on reception, and I'm saying that's not the case, and that Revelations didn't get any game in progress cancelled or suddenly pull workpower from some other project or anything like that. It was a redistribution of resources from other finished projects, not unfinished. Maybe sometimes that's not the case, but the general principle is that manpower redistribution is based on the project needs, but at expense of other projects is bad practice.

Alex Hutchinson himself admitted that after AC3 that a Connor sequel depended on whether he was as popular as Ezio that the team could spin a Franchise around.

Yeah, but that's Alex Hutchinson's opinion. He also said that there are debates in the office about this practice and that they want to keep things fresh.

VestigialLlama4
03-02-2015, 04:23 PM
It's different. You've essentially said that projects are cancelled or dropped depending on reception, and I'm saying that's not the case, and that Revelations didn't get any game in progress cancelled or suddenly pull workpower from some other project or anything like that. It was a redistribution of resources from other finished projects, not unfinished.

The way I understand its a matter of perspective. If Ezio wasn't super-popular as he was, Brotherhood would have just been a DLC-Expansion, with a small portion of Rome and some side missions, just like if Connor was more popular, the three-part Tyranny DLC might have have had extra episodes and eventually become a single release (like Freedom Cry or Liberation was given a separate release) and the later New World games would still feature him, rather than essentially treat him as a pariah or untouchable, with ROGUE reusing his supporting cast and dropping insulting remarks about his post-game life.

And honestly, we don't know if games have been cancelled or not, because we don't have real access to the production process, since it includes a huge staff and they make games annually and they sign these non-disclosure contracts.

Like with UNITY, the team is so ashamed of the game and production they have not done a single post-game interview, AMA or Q&A (compared to AC3 or UNITY) and even DEAD KINGs was dropped without ceremony, where even the Tyranny DLC had launch interviews with the team that made it, as did Freedom Cry. It falls to Darby McDevitt on twitter (who only wrote the Helix rift intel and served as a consultant) to answer stuff about Jacques de Molay's "sageness", we don't have writers or Amancio discussing any of the historical controversy since they just want to move on and forget the game was made.

Yeah, but that's Alex Hutchinson's opinion. He also said that there are debates in the office about this practice and that they want to keep things fresh.

There are always going to be debates and such, that's a given. And obviously the marketing felt, not without justification, that Connor becoming a fan-favorite on the scale of Ezio would be difficult. That doesn't mean that the reception doesn't determine it.

Sorrosyss
03-02-2015, 08:01 PM
No for me. He was far too similar to Ezio for my taste. Not necessarily in manner, but his story felt like awfully familiar territory. (Father dies, inducted to Assassins through revenge, the girl he loves dies. Etc etc) For me, it was similar to AC3 in that the supporting character (Haytham, Elise) totally overshadowed the main character in charisma and backstory.

I'd rather see a new character, and given the time jump to the Victorian Era, it looks like we are getting one anyway. Kinda sad Shao Jun is only getting the platformer spin off, as a full game with her in China would be an amazing change of pace and location.

Fatal-Feit
03-02-2015, 09:13 PM

Like really they're totally different people - there's an argument to be made that he was given qualities so he would be more 'likeable' but he's not an Ezio clone.

I would argue that Arnaud is more like Cunnor.

Namikaze_17
03-02-2015, 09:28 PM
I would argue that Arnaud is more like Cunnor.

No one is like Cunner.

He's boring remember?

historagamer24
03-02-2015, 09:57 PM
As long as they don't make him so boring, I don't mind

Fatal-Feit
03-02-2015, 10:46 PM
No one is like Cunner.

He's boring remember?

isn't that what many people describe all protagonists that aren't charismatic womanizer as?

oke, back to work *sneaks out*

Namikaze_17
03-02-2015, 10:59 PM
isn't that what many people describe all protagonists that aren't charismatic womanizer as?

oke, back to work *sneaks out*

Right, right. How could I possibly forget?

Yes, back to your pris-er, I mean room.

X_xWolverinEx_X
03-03-2015, 03:03 AM
oh yes i would i loved arno and his story..."so its a yes from me"

ze_topazio
03-03-2015, 03:08 AM
Would be kinda cool if old man Arno appeared in Victory.

Altair1789
03-03-2015, 03:26 AM
Would be kinda cool if old man Arno appeared in Victory.

It would have to be really old man Arno. Older than Alta´r. He would make for a cool Mentor though. And not mentor like Bellec, mentor like Mirabeau. He wouldn't be teaching anyone, but he's just the leader of the order

ze_topazio
03-03-2015, 03:31 AM
We don't know in which exact decade Victory starts, 1830? Arno would be in his 60s, 1840? Arno would be in his 70s and so on.

Fatal-Feit
03-03-2015, 03:45 AM
I want to see Arno vs Napoleon in Victory via Memory Seals. Maybe they'll even have a Cunnor cameo in there somewhere. Like in the background. Waaaaaaay in the background.

Namikaze_17
03-03-2015, 04:36 AM
Arno cameo via memory seals & role like Alta´r in AC2.

That is if Victory is about Arno's and/or another sword of eden.

and perhaps some explanation/closure on your remaining 18th century characters?

Shahkulu101
03-03-2015, 04:41 AM
I want to see Arno vs Napoleon in Victory via Memory Seals. Maybe they'll even have a Cunnor cameo in there somewhere. Like in the background. Waaaaaaay in the background.

Way in the background, then the camera pans towards Connor's face - then a piano falls on top of him and it cuts to a shot of Ezio in a chair sipping whiskey.

Namikaze_17
03-03-2015, 04:47 AM
^ Then news of a riot on Ubisoft headquarters comes on the following day. :rolleyes:

VestigialLlama4
03-03-2015, 05:09 AM
There could be a simple cameo of an old French newspaper having Arno killed by an angry pimp after refusing to pay child support for a red-headed prostitute he knocked up.

Fatal-Feit
03-03-2015, 05:18 AM
Way in the background, then the camera pans towards Connor's face - then a piano falls on top of him and it cuts to a shot of Ezio in a chair sipping whiskey.

Ezio: Winning.

*piano falls on Ezio*

historagamer24
03-05-2015, 02:20 AM
No one is like Cunner.

He's boring remember?

I think I'm the only person who really liked Conner...

Namikaze_17
03-05-2015, 04:24 AM
I think I'm the only person who really liked Conner...

Don't worry mate, I like(d) Connor.

It's just an endless joke as all. ;)

pirate1802
03-05-2015, 08:12 AM
How bout a big drumfull of No.

micksith
03-05-2015, 11:26 PM
ARNO = After a year of intense training with the Assassin order .....
Has no clue how to sit on a bench or stand between 2 civilians
Has no clue how to hide dead bodies
Has no clue how to whistle or attract guards
Has no clue how to punch through a paper bag
Has no clue poison gas can be countered with a face mask (something seemingly worn by every other basic recruit in the order , yet unavailable to Arno)

YEP - Arno's a real asset to the order , The assassins need more like him. NOT

historagamer24
03-05-2015, 11:38 PM
ARNO = After a year of intense training with the Assassin order .....
Has no clue how to sit on a bench or stand between 2 civilians
Has no clue how to hide dead bodies
Has no clue how to whistle or attract guards
Has no clue how to punch through a paper bag
Has no clue poison gas can be countered with a face mask (something seemingly worn by every other basic recruit in the order , yet unavailable to Arno)

YEP - Arno's a real asset to the order , The assassins need more like him. NOT

Yeah,,, the Order was all like "You're cleary here with a massive chip on you're shoulder and a thirst for vengeance, but You can do that weird Eagle Vision thing, how would you like to be an Assassin?"-

Namikaze_17
03-05-2015, 11:43 PM
Wasn't vengeance for the millionth time. -__-

ze_topazio
03-05-2015, 11:46 PM
Ezio: Winning.

*piano falls on Ezio*

But turns out that was a double.

Real Ezio air assassinates the piano

Namikaze_17
03-05-2015, 11:50 PM
But turns out that was a double.

Real Ezio air assassinates the piano

Ezio's learned the shadow clone jutsu now? :rolleyes:

ze_topazio
03-05-2015, 11:52 PM
A basic skill of any ninja, even Italian ones.

cawatrooper9
03-06-2015, 12:03 AM
If you'd asked me this in November, I'd have said an emphatic "No".
However (and I know this might be a controversial opinion), I really liked his character progression in Dead Kings. Actually getting to see him start to work his way back into the Assassins and overcome his grief somehow humanized him far more than we ever saw in the main game. Besides, I feel like the references to the Apple going to Egypt, as well as the featuring of Napoleon's rise to power (and minor setback) are a tantalizing tease to a potential AC game set in Napoleonic Era Egypt- and that's something I'd absolutely love to play.

micksith
03-06-2015, 12:13 AM
Ezios shadow clone jutsu ??

That'll be another ability ezio & every assassin borrowed from the old Tenchu series . lol

Hans684
03-07-2015, 03:09 PM
I'd like Arno to live up to his fathers memory, so we should play as a Templar and kill him.

RADAR__4077
03-07-2015, 06:48 PM
I'd like Arno to live up to his fathers memory, so we should play as a Templar and kill him.

Me like.:D