PDA

View Full Version : Ubisoft Is Planning On "10, 20" More Years Of Assassin's Creed

SpiritOfNevaeh
02-27-2015, 09:38 PM
UBISOFT DEV DISCUSSES FUTURE OF ASSASSIN'S CREED

Ubisoft is planning on "10, 20" more years of the series.

BY MIKE MAHARDY Ubisoft is planning on more than a decade of the pervasive Assassin's Creed franchise, and wants to have more robust modern-day sections in future entries.

During a recent community stream, lead writer Darby McDevitt said the studio has hundreds of years of in-game lore planned for Assassin's Creed, along with an extensive history to explain its origins.

"We've created 500, 600, 700 years worth of history that we hope to start teasing out for the next 10, 20 years or however long we're around," McDevitt said. "I particularly love the lore. I've been working the past two years, with all the other writers, on getting a great document together on the First Civilization."

The aforementioned civilization is the group of precursor beings often shown in the series. Many of the Assassin's Creed storylines goes back to that early faction, and players learn more about them as the franchise progresses, often in modern-day scenes.

McDevitt said the plan is to use existing material in order to focus on that present-day storyline. Assassin's Creed Brotherhood, for example, used assets from its predecessor in order to create an immersive setting for the modern narrative.

"That only came about because [we] were able to reuse Monteriggioni from Assassin's Creed 2," McDevitt said. "So the future –– and this is the plan –– is to smartly reuse things so we can have a more robust modern day."

Assassin's Creed Unity had less modern-day sequences than Ubisoft originally planned, McDevitt said. But they needed to be weighed with the historical setting of Unity, which is often the most alluring aspect of each new release –– in this case, revolutionary France.

"We always plan to have more modern day but we have to be really smart about how we do it," he said. "There was a plan for a little more modern day in Unity –– a plan. Nothing that was actually cut."

Last year, the next series entry was leaked. Assassin's Creed Victory (a name which may be official or only for internal development) will take place in 19th century Victorian London, and will release for PS4, Xbox One and PC, according to the leak. A previous IGN report stated that the next Assassin's Creed would be developed by Ubisoft Quebec, and not Montreal –– the leak confirmed this news as well.

Source link: http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/02/27/ubisoft-dev-discusses-future-of-assassins-creed?utm_campaign=ign+main+twitter&utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social

My view: This series could do a whole lot better than it is now, but of course it'll take some time and resources to make that happen. And yes, things happen like time constraints and unexpected difficulties, but if that continues along the length of the series, that could prove to be a problem.

As much as I love the series, I wouldnt mind if it went out in a bang, but yet I would love to hear more stories as well as the folklore behind the main series altogether.

What do you guys think? Do you think the series should go longer or shorter? Or just stop altogether? Let me know your thoughts.

JustPlainQuirky
02-27-2015, 09:43 PM
already thread on this mate

but yeah 10 more AC games within 10 years. Yikes.

Fatal-Feit
02-27-2015, 09:47 PM
10 or 20 more years of AC, fantastic.

An AC game every year for the next 10 20 years? That doesn't sound pleasant unless Unity is their last unpolished title.

SixKeys
02-27-2015, 09:52 PM
unless Unity is their last unpolished title.

http://static1.gamespot.com/uploads/original/1470/14702963/2770577-1819461198-tumbl.gif

JustPlainQuirky
02-27-2015, 09:53 PM
^had the same reaction lmfao

RADAR__4077
02-27-2015, 09:57 PM
10 years 3-4 games yes.

10 years 10 games AW HEEEELL NO!

SpiritOfNevaeh
02-27-2015, 10:00 PM
10 years 3-4 games yes.

My thoughts exactly.

Hans684
02-27-2015, 10:09 PM
Last time someone(Ismail I think) said they planned ahead it was a misunderstanding. So they have a plan now, might be good news for the series unless each game is another Unity.

As for AC's length, it's never ending. History, alternate realities(in universe name: calculations), time travel POE, First Civ. history, never ending A/T war and possibly the future(not entirely sure about this one but AC already has a lot if concepts). A "reboot" would just be the same AC in a different time line, like the French comics that always get translated.

Fatal-Feit
02-27-2015, 10:14 PM
*snip*

U watch AoT too?

ze_topazio
02-27-2015, 10:26 PM
I hope they include Portugal or a Portuguese city in one of those 20 games they are planning, Brazil too.

unless Unity is their last unpolished title.

Go sit in the corner for 10 minutes and think about what you just said young man.

Shahkulu101
02-27-2015, 10:38 PM
You know, I don't mind twenty more games.

I've resigned myself to the fact that the series will never reach it's full potential, in both gameplay and narrative, due to yearly releases. It hurt at first but it's just sort if sunk in overtime.

With the current development process, the quality is erratic. Some games may be better than others (e.g ACIV compared to Unity), and I can kind of accept that and just enjoy the good times because I'm not really that emotionally invested in the series anymore. I mean I still love the games, but it's more sentimental than actual investment in the narrative or total enjoyment of the gameplay.

Some games might be great, some might be alright or some total ****e. And that's perfectly okay.

JustPlainQuirky
02-27-2015, 10:41 PM
I've resigned myself to the fact that the series will never reach it's full potential, in both gameplay and narrative, due to yearly releases.

This reality is soul-crushing

SixKeys
02-27-2015, 10:51 PM
This reality is soul-crushing

I used to think that. Now, like Shahk, I've pretty much made peace with it. I'm just waiting until I'm well and truly bored of this series and ready to move on to other games. I can't imagine myself still playing the same basic game 10-20 years from now, even if they occasionally throw in curveballs like pirate ships. AC has sort of become like Mario: there's a ****load of games, no-one except hardcore fans can keep up with the chronology and the quality varies wildly, but the series still keeps afloat because it's a strong brand.

JustPlainQuirky
02-27-2015, 10:57 PM
The difference between AC and Mario (and I am referencing the main series of mario games) is that Nintendo is willing to wait years to make sure quality is at its finest and innovation as at it peak. They do this with zelda too.

Mario 64. Mario Sunshine. Mario Galaxy.
Ocarina of Time. Wind Waker. Skyward Sword.

These games have many years between releases. Yes, they had other branches make smaller spin-offs to retain attention, but the main franchise gets all proper development, testing, and because of that the gameplay is very unique not only in their franchises but in gaming history. And the glitches are muuuuuch more minimal than something like AC

There is no gameplay experience even similar to skyward sword or just as good.

I'd argue the same with Mario Galaxy.

It's amazing.

SixKeys
02-27-2015, 11:00 PM
I was including all the party games and handheld Mario games, not just the big console releases. The big ones usually are well-thought out and clearly have a lot of effort put into them. The party games seem to come out like 3-4 times a year. :p

JustPlainQuirky
02-27-2015, 11:09 PM
those are by different branches.

and yeah some may argue Ubi has multiple branches too but they have yet to demonstrate proper quality control even in their "main" games

Xstantin
02-27-2015, 11:16 PM
Part of me kinda wants to know whether they planned some big mind-blowing ending. Oh well

Fatal-Feit
02-27-2015, 11:24 PM
Go sit in the corner for 10 minutes and think about what you just said young man.

One can dream.

The difference between AC and Mario (and I am referencing the main series of mario games) is that Nintendo is willing to wait years to make sure quality is at its finest and innovation as at it peak. They do this with zelda too.

You're comparing a franchise that releases one game per year to another that releases a jumbo of titles a year.

JustPlainQuirky
02-27-2015, 11:26 PM
You're comparing a franchise that releases one game per year to another that releases a jumbo of titles a year.

the difference is the ability to retain quality

Altair1789
02-28-2015, 12:39 AM
Holy ****, that's a lot. I'm fine with it, but they won't keep a healthy overarching narrative for THAT long. I'd hope for 5-6 more games of an overarching narrative, and then just individual assassin stories throughout history. References are fine. Kinda like what I believe Far Cry does. Hell, I'd love 10-20 more games of the overarching narrative but I don't think they'd keep it very AC-like.

Do you know what else this means? Jazz Age Junkies guy MUST show up again :D

Fatal-Feit
02-28-2015, 12:47 AM
There isn't an over-arching narrative.

Altair1789
02-28-2015, 01:17 AM
There isn't an over-arching narrative.

Well they need to officially announce this

Sorrosyss
02-28-2015, 02:16 AM
Well, the likes of Star Wars and Star Trek have gone on for decades, even with a great variety in quality. Admittedly games are a different medium, but with a spin off movie coming, the AC IP is likely to stay strong for years to come.

And I'm fine with that. I'm a fan, I want to tag along for the ride. :) I've no issue with yearly releases, so long as they maintain the quality akin to AC4. The modern day, and First Civilisation elements need to return in force though. Every forum, reddit, tweet I see about Unity's story is how the story was lacking - specifcally in these areas. Reading this, hopefully Ubisoft got the message. At some point though, I can see us being able to create our own Assassins / Templars, and carry them onto each successive title (ala Mass Effect).

Rafe Harwood
02-28-2015, 08:43 AM
I think it will be awesome in 10 years time for the sprogs among us now to know what it means to be a *cough*mature*cough* gamer and still love the same stuff they do now ;)

And why the original wire frame Elite is still the top of the pack when it comes to games ;)

Jus' sayin ;)

pirate1802
02-28-2015, 09:17 AM
Yikes. Better jump ship now than wait for the series to be even more thinned.

UniteUnderPower
02-28-2015, 10:50 AM
http://images.eurogamer.net/2013/articles/1/7/3/9/5/2/8/future-assassins-creed-games-will-have-more-robust-modern-day-than-unity-142503668142.jpg

Future Assassin's Creed games will include a greater focus on the series' modern day timeline than last year's Assassin's Creed Unity, Ubisoft has suggested.

Fans were left disappointed by Unity's brief sashays into the present day, presented via a couple of quick cut-scenes.

Previous entries have included playable sections, puzzles and even whole areas to explore - which, happily, it sounds like Ubisoft hopes to return to in future installments.

Speaking via Twitch during a Ubisoft community livestream, Assassin's Creed lead writer Darby McDevitt explained that his favourite modern day section - Brotherhood's town of Monteriggioni - may inspire present day sections found in future instalments.

"That only came about because [we] were able to reuse Monteriggioni from AC2," he recalled. "So the future - and this is the plan - is to smartly reuse things so we can have a more robust modern day."

McDevitt, who worked as lead writer for Assassin's Creed: Revelations, AC4: Black Flag and short film Embers, as well as PSP and DS spin-offs Bloodlines and AC2: Discovery, revealed that Unity had originally featured more modern day moments.

"We always plan to have more modern day but we have to be really smart about how we do it. There was a plan for a little more modern day in Unity - a plan," he stressed, "nothing that was actually cut.

"The thing with Unity was that it was a completely fresh game on a completely fresh generation. So creating any kind of modern day is a pretty huge ask. To create a city, for instance, or even part of a city, would require six months of work by many, many artists, designers, modellers. And then you'd need gameplay systems that didn't feel like you were just fencing."

McDevitt also revealed that he had been working with other Ubisoft writers on the franchise's future - including the history of the series' mysterious forerunner race, the First Civilisation.

"I particularly love the lore. I've been working the past two years, with all the other writers, on getting a great document together on the First Civilisation.

"We've created 500, 600, 700 years worth of history that we hope to start teasing out for the next 10, 20 years or however long we're around," he continued.

"As I see it there were always two ways to go about this. You could always make [the First Civ] very mysterious - to never really go into what they were. But at a certain point in the games you got to the point where you knew they were real. So why not go the other direction and treat them as real history.

"So me and the other writers have been, as a side-project to really make sure all future projects have this cool timeline to go from, creating this huge First Civ history. With all the big moments and a ton of small moments you've never thought of. So every future writer can say 'I want to reference Juno again, or Minerva' and see where she was at a specific date... and how far along was the First Civ-human war going."

While not yet officially confirmed by Ubisoft, a leak has revealed that the next Assassin's Creed game, code-named Victory, will be set in an Industrial Revolution-era London.

Source: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015-02-27-future-assassins-creed-games-will-have-more-robust-modern-day-than-unity

Sound off, Assassins! If this was already posted, just kindly remove the thread and please don't ban me mods!

UniteUnderPower
02-28-2015, 10:55 AM
I used to be on the side of the series lasting shorter, but that opinion has changed over time. There are so many time periods that I'm eager to explore and lore that I really want to get into at this point. The part about reusing assets from previous games kind of intrigues me. Does this mean that in Victory we could possibly see Paris again, but this time in the modern day? Or Versailles perhaps?

pirate1802
02-28-2015, 11:20 AM
Oh noes, more of those silly conspiracy tales and ancient aliens stuff. And here I hoped ubi got smarter.

king-hailz
02-28-2015, 11:20 AM
...probably another floating iPad...
I'm sick of the 'modern' day being in our time... It should go into the future!!!

pirate1802
02-28-2015, 11:22 AM
I used to be on the side of the series lasting shorter, but that opinion has changed over time.

Yeah, same here. If someone searches my old posts he can see me arguing against a guy who wanted AC to end soon. Well look at me now!

pirate1802
02-28-2015, 11:27 AM
I liked the idea of a guy here who suggested that the 'modern day' should have been the cold-war era. Now THAT would have been something I could get behind (pun not intended)

Hans684
02-28-2015, 12:07 PM
There was an old article with Ubisoft saying they could make around 30 games based on history alone.

Hans684
02-28-2015, 12:09 PM
Good news, less fillers like Unity.

Barlog06
02-28-2015, 01:07 PM
This is one of the best AC news ever! I really thought Ubi just gave up for MD. But now I see the point. Now it actually makes sense, why there were no proper MD in Unity. And now they will do much more of it! That's great! Brotherhood MD is my favourite too, so I'm fine with reusing.

UniteUnderPower
02-28-2015, 02:04 PM
This is one of the best AC news ever! I really thought Ubi just gave up for MD. But now I see the point. Now it actually makes sense, why there were no proper MD in Unity. And now they will do much more of it! That's great! Brotherhood MD is my favourite too, so I'm fine with reusing.

Same here. My favorite MD is actually AC3's, but I can see why people like Brotherhood's so much as well. Unity felt like a mess with the lack of modern-day. Everything felt so meaningless and pointless as hell. Nothing progressed at all.

pacmanate
02-28-2015, 05:56 PM
As long as the stories are good idc.

ze_topazio
02-28-2015, 06:27 PM
I wonder if we all will still be here in 20 years.

Still claiming that AC2 is the best, Connor needs closure, demanding Ubi be change Unity, asking for better modern day and wondering when Feudal Japan and Ancient Egypt will be used.

RinoTheBouncer
02-28-2015, 07:44 PM
I'm not really surprised to hear this. I never expected AC to end anytime soon. What makes it so different from Tomb Raider or Resident Evil or Final Fantasy that have been here from 15 to 25 years? I think the series should last, under the condition that the lore is always given the highest priority, including modern day, First Civ. and the likes and that the games remain connected, deeply. If we keep getting Sagas like that of Desmond or Ezio that have a beginning and an end, and an interesting lore, then why not?

I'm not even sure AC can ever end. It's not like a beast that we're trying to kill and we'll eventually kill. It's 2 conflicting ideas PLUS humanity's flaws PLUS a race of super high-tech beings that we know next to nothing about, and could most likely be out of this planet and coming back sometime or stored like Juno was and has its own agenda. So I don't see how it can have one definitive and conclusive finale. There will definitely be a cliffhanger or a hint for a continuation and someday, someone will pick it up from there or creates spin-offs and prequels or stories that take place in-between. So I think AC is endless and it should remain that way as long as it protects its lore and go back to the way AC was during Desmond's Saga.

Hans684
02-28-2015, 07:59 PM
^ As long as they don't sell it to Disney.

andrew_m50
02-28-2015, 08:00 PM
Right, Ubisoft, right.
Finally you admit that MD is important for the series.

Shahkulu101
02-28-2015, 08:06 PM
I know this is sincere and that Darby loves the lore just as much as the rest of us, but the truth is MD won't be a crucial part of the games going forward because not enough people enjoy it.

If we do get to explore a historical location as a modern day character, it will be brief and novel as opposed to a vital part in the games story. I could be wrong, but that's just how I see things working out.

RinoTheBouncer
02-28-2015, 08:22 PM
HELL YEAH! that's the best thing I've heard all day.

It's in the developers and writers hands to make people care. If it's well-made and made in a way that makes you feel that its important, people WILL care.

andrew_m50
02-28-2015, 08:27 PM
I'm not even sure AC can ever end.

I agree.
Assassins and Templars are going to fight forever.
And there will always be something new to explore about the First Civilization...artifacts, secret locations, members, knowledge...anything.

Xangr8
02-28-2015, 09:59 PM
I'm not really surprised to hear this. I never expected AC to end anytime soon. What makes it so different from Tomb Raider or Resident Evil or Final Fantasy that have been here from 15 to 25 years? I think the series should last, under the condition that the lore is always given the highest priority, including modern day, First Civ. and the likes and that the games remain connected, deeply. If we keep getting Sagas like that of Desmond or Ezio that have a beginning and an end, and an interesting lore, then why not?

I'm not even sure AC can ever end. It's not like a beast that we're trying to kill and we'll eventually kill. It's 2 conflicting ideas PLUS humanity's flaws PLUS a race of super high-tech beings that we know next to nothing about, and could most likely be out of this planet and coming back sometime or stored like Juno was and has its own agenda. So I don't see how it can have one definitive and conclusive finale. There will definitely be a cliffhanger or a hint for a continuation and someday, someone will pick it up from there or creates spin-offs and prequels or stories that take place in-between. So I think AC is endless and it should remain that way as long as it protects its lore and go back to the way AC was during Desmond's Saga.

I couldn't agree more ;)

wickywoowoo
02-28-2015, 10:00 PM
I am assuming he is talking about a huge book or something for the modern day stuff. A more practical version of what Initiates tried to be but without looking details behind stupid a quiz and puzzles.

cawatrooper9
03-01-2015, 02:01 AM
I like it. I'll probably play for years to come. If you don't like the games, don't play them.

ACHILLES4713
03-01-2015, 02:51 AM
Well, I hope this means that Ubisoft has realized thier mistake with diminishing MD. I'm fine with AC lasting 20 more years so long as the MD plots of the games PROGRESS and actually contributes something toward the overall plot besides just being a collection of easter eggs. Along with having a MD playable character that is well crafted.

Fatal-Feit
03-01-2015, 03:19 AM
I like it. I'll probably play for years to come. If you don't like the games, don't play them.

Wise words.

TexasCaesar
03-01-2015, 04:10 AM
That was probably the WORST possible thing Ubisoft could have said.

Altair1789
03-01-2015, 04:32 AM

Heh, I'll be playing it until they cancel the series. I wonder how amazing the next few console generations will make the games

Namikaze_17
03-01-2015, 04:59 AM
If you don't like the games, don't play them.

Advice that's so simple yet complicated.

EDIT: I see your Avatar, Alta´r. :mad: :rolleyes:

Shahkulu101
03-01-2015, 05:03 AM
That was probably the WORST possible thing Ubisoft could have said.

Why? It's not like people didn't know this already.

Besides, he didn't guarantee it would last 10-20 more years - that was just a rough estimate as he did say "or however long we'll do this". Which basically means that they'll keep making games until there isn't a viable market for them, which is totally obvious to everyone.

This is a non-story to be honest.

SixKeys
03-01-2015, 05:05 AM
Why? It's not like people didn't know this already.

Besides, he didn't guarantee it would last 10-20 more years - that was just a rough estimate as he did say "or however long we'll do this". Which basically means that they'll keep making games until there isn't a viable market for them, which is totally obvious to everyone.

This is a non-story to be honest.

Exactly. They were saying this already around ACB/ACR. Something like "we've got ideas for about 30 more AC games". Who knows if that's actually true, but either way they've been saying it for years.

Sabutto
03-01-2015, 07:29 AM
http://static1.gamespot.com/uploads/original/1470/14702963/2770577-1819461198-tumbl.gif

LMAO

@topic: Bring it on more aC games the better

Xangr8
03-01-2015, 08:49 AM
Actually Rockstar said that they got 45 years of idea for GTA and they'd love to try them all out... *flies*

dimbismp
03-01-2015, 01:04 PM
I am really surprised with the poll results...I bet that most of the people who voted for the first option,also complain about the annual releases.But the truth is that "10 more years"="10 more games".And that's a big NO from me.AC is clearly one of the best series of all time,but it is clear that the fans feel fatigued,and the rest of the gaming community hates it.And the situation is only going to deteriorate over time.Why you may ask?

Because,as many pointed above,there will sure be buggy games like AC3 and ACU.Also,even though ACU really tried to evolve the gameplay,i realised that there is no way to get the feeling that you are experiencing AC for the first time.The core of the game remains the same.So,even the hardcore fans will get bored sooner or later...

So,the ideal IMO would be 4(+1) more games:

2015: Victory
2016:Asia setting
(2017: a remaster of AC,the Ezio trilogy,AC3 and ACRo for the current gen)
2018: Ancient Greece/Rome/Egypt/etc
2019: Modern day AC with a grand finale

ze_topazio
03-01-2015, 01:07 PM

It's not that simple, that people that no longer like the games, used to like them and wish the series could be good again, imagine seeing a family member of yours destroying themselves with drugs, would you easily ignore them?
I know this was a extreme example but that's what I was trying to say, it breaks my heart every time I see another horrendous Sonic game, or another Resident Evil with more action than a Rambo movie, or another terrible Final Fantasy, just to mention a few series I used to like a lot back in the days.

ninja4hire10
03-01-2015, 03:43 PM
Ten, twenty years worth of story spread out over that many games, I'm on board.

AC titles are my yearly year-end fix to get me through the cold gray blahs of winter; nice reassurance to know what little gaming time and money I have can be spent doing what makes me happy for some time to come...

Altair1789
03-01-2015, 10:34 PM
I wouldn't mind revisiting locations in different time periods. I'd love to see another game in Istanbul (oh wait, I mean Constantinople :rolleyes:)

poptartz20
03-02-2015, 04:47 AM
I have mixed emotions on this.. there is that part of me that is like YAY! AC FOREVAR.. then the reality sets in of how this could easily become like Sonic. and nobody cares anymore.

I feel that what others have said is true. In a way AC could be one of those series that is Iconic and is always around because there will always be history, the fight against T v.A will keep going on. But I just don't feel that they all need to be games. Especially with yearly releases. I feel like if they played this out using various different mediums, like books, comics, live action web series, animated series, hell even vines, with proper breaks in between with well written content that actually left people feeling the need (the thirst) for more It could be brilliant! So I'm all for AC going on, for years if they aren't full scale release games.

ninja4hire10
03-04-2015, 03:02 AM
@Pop

Never thought of it that way, if the annual releases weren't necessarily fully fleshed out games. If Ubi really goes with that long of a timeline, maybe the games could be smaller in scale and scope, like Liberation or the Dead Kings or Freedom Cry DLCs. And maybe the smaller releases could set the stage for a bigger, full scale AAA game every two or three years.

Hmm. Smaller games could also provide a chance to flesh out other assassins, like Nik Orelov or Arbaaz Mir. That'd be cool by me.

historagamer24
03-05-2015, 02:50 AM
If they can pull it off, then sure, why not.

Sushiglutton
03-05-2015, 02:30 PM
As sceptical I am bout yearly releases (think Ubi has proven again and again that the model is flawed), this is a good thing Darby and the others have done. Just as was discussed by M on the podcast this will lead to more consistency and it will be easier for various writers to incorporate the lore in the project they are working on.

Also Darby never said it was gonna be yearly releases those 10-20 years :).

psmc3
03-08-2015, 10:08 PM
I am really surprised with the poll results...I bet that most of the people who voted for the first option,also complain about the annual releases.

That doesn't make any sense! If you love a game/series, and if it keeps interesting, why would anyone want LESS of it...?!

I hope that the series goes on for many and many years, and I would love to get TWO diferent games every year!

I don't really play any other games, the AC's is my favorite series EVER! I love the story and I love the gameplay, so I want more and more and more!
If the next games only come out WHEN THEY'RE READY, than I don't see the problem of getting a new game every year...

Deezl-V
03-09-2015, 04:14 PM
10 years 3-4 games yes.

That's not how it works. Games ARE released annually, but they are not MADE annually. This is the misinterpretation of this community. They have these games made over years in the background.

The reason unity was so buggy was its new translation to new console coding with a new engine. I'm sure victory will correct the issues they had with unity.

And I personnally want an AC game annually. But again, to those that are confused, these games are NOT MADE annually.

SixKeys
03-09-2015, 05:55 PM
That's not how it works. Games ARE released annually, but they are not MADE annually. This is the misinterpretation of this community. They have these games made over years in the background.

The reason unity was so buggy was its new translation to new console coding with a new engine. I'm sure victory will correct the issues they had with unity.

And I personnally want an AC game annually. But again, to those that are confused, these games are NOT MADE annually.

Some of them are. ACB and ACR were both developed within one year, and you can't convince me Rogue was in development before Black Flag.

Even if they take several years to develop each game, the fact remains that the annual release cycle forces them to recycle assets and to have less time for fan feedback consideration. We could have already had our AC in China or India or whatever, but Victory obviously needs to recycle assets from Victory, which is why we're getting another game in Europe. Rogue was a slapdash game cobbled together from Black Flag assets.

And feedback is a big problem: let's say co-op in Unity had been a massive failure. Just as an example, let's say everybody absolutely hated it and never wanted to see it again. Now, if Victory was meant to use the same co-op feature from the start, how should the devs react to that kind of feedback? Toss out the co-op feature from Victory entirely (which is what they logically should do based on overwhelmingly negative feedback)? That would mean maybe 2 years of work down the drain and mass layoffs. So what's the other option? Keep the feature despite the negative feedback, and just BS your way through interviews claiming you've fixed all the problems and how it really wasn't that bad in the first place.

Sorrosyss
03-09-2015, 08:33 PM
I do think they overstretched themselves with two releases last year. Both games suffered for it too. If you add the content of the two together, you'd probably end up with a similar length to AC4. As things stand, both feel rather short to me. Going back to one title only would definitely benefit all parties concerned. They got it right with AC4, so I have no issue with annual releases so long as they match that in terms of length, varied story content, and decent multiplayer.