PDA

View Full Version : Last of Us Style Medicine

TexasCaesar
02-27-2015, 07:50 PM
I've noticed one or two comments around here complaining about the addition of medicine in Unity, and I agree that it was a bit problematic. I believe strongly that games should have health bars, but with the way medicine was implemented in both Unity and the Ezio Trilogy, it was overpowered... you could get hit and immediately pop one of ten vials that would bring you back up to full health. It actively destroys any challenge (unless you force yourself to only use medicine after battles), while not being a particularly... fun feature.

On the other hand, AC3 had regenerating health, but it took long enough to regenerate that you could generally expect to have to finish a battle with only your one health bar.

What I'm proposing is a sort of compromise, based on the system used by The Last of Us. In TLOU, using a First Aid Kit involves an animation that takes several seconds to complete. During that time, you are completely vulnerable, so it's only realistically on option for when you are in cover or in hiding. The result is that you get some riveting moments when you are almost dead and are scrambling to recover while your enemy closes in, trying to break off from a fight so you can heal, or have just been injured and are unsure if you'll be able to survive your next engagement.

All it would take is a little animation of the Assassin wrapping their arm in gauze, like how it works in TLOU.

Fatal-Feit
02-27-2015, 08:14 PM
I'm all for your idea.

Something like the Estus Flask would also be great. Using a health potion would perform a slow healing animation and the regeneration takes some time.

RADAR__4077
02-27-2015, 08:14 PM
I did like that health system. One of the few I have no complaints about.
Maybe they'll use it in the future.

Namikaze_17
02-27-2015, 08:26 PM
I could dig it.

Xstantin
02-27-2015, 08:52 PM
If it is similar to TLOU I think they'll need to drop some enemies numbers and make them really punishing (which won't happen) so medicine feels somewhat important at least.

Fatal-Feit
02-27-2015, 09:00 PM
The simplest solution, IMO, would be to disable usage of medicines during combat.

TexasCaesar
02-27-2015, 09:04 PM
The simplest solution, IMO, would be to disable usage of medicines during combat.

That being the case, there might as well be no medicine at all. The main idea of medicine is that it would give players a bit more staying power, but to use would come at a cost... you'd have to do something like run and hide, throw a smoke bomb, or otherwise disrupt your enemies to give you an opening to heal.

SixKeys
02-27-2015, 09:39 PM

I have a feeling this is what they originally had in mind, but playtesters probably complained that the new difficulty was too frustrating, so they added medicine.

I don't mind Unity's health system since the combat is properly challenging, but I'm also not opposed to TLoU's style.

Fatal-Feit
02-27-2015, 10:49 PM
I have a feeling this is what they originally had in mind, but playtesters probably complained that the new difficulty was too frustrating, so they added medicine.

In theory, it's suppose to make players feel compelled to escape combat instead of taking on waves and waves of enemies until they're all dead.

Altair1789
02-28-2015, 01:25 AM
I like the regeneration after battle system. I'm not really a fan of this medicine system you're proposing, but it wouldn't be too bad

The_Kiwi_
02-28-2015, 10:44 AM
I'm all for your idea.

Something like the Estus Flask would also be great. Using a health potion would perform a slow healing animation and the regeneration takes some time.

ESTUS

GIVE ME SOME OF THAT SUNNY D

I mean...

EmbodyingSeven5
02-28-2015, 03:37 PM
NO! sorry lol. I found the combat frustrating enough in unity. it had horrible flow and every soldier carried a pistol so if you are in a big fight you are almost guaranteed to die unless you spam smoke bombs and medicine. medicine was also extremely overpriced in the game so I had to loot everything I killed scrounging for medicine (, which also took the flow away from killing and moving on seamlessly through the city). the game was going for a rpg type of style I guess by placing "higher level" enemies in certain zones. when really these high level enemies have the same skills as lower level just with higher damage sponges. I didn't find it to be more of a challenge just a friggin nuisance.

THIS NEEDS TO CHANGE DRASTICALLY IN VICTORY

sorry rant over:p

Xangr8
02-28-2015, 10:09 PM
The AC1 sync system is just how it should be. It's not the "health", it's the synchronisation of the user with the ancestor. You shouldn't be able to increase your sync just by the ancestor taking up some smelling salts. But, I like to think of those medicines as a 'hack' to increase the synchronisation :P