PDA

View Full Version : (POLL) Which AC combat did you like most?

Defalt221
02-27-2015, 09:16 AM
Vote the combat system you had the fun most with.

Farlander1991
02-27-2015, 09:24 AM
Voted for Unity, as the most balanced of the systems we have so far (also, while simple in mechanics, had a lot of intense fights with it).

Would vote for AC1 if not for the counter-attack that you eventually get that breaks the whole awesome system it has.

Also one advantage that Unity has got is that with gear you can essentially set your difficulty level, which makes it the only game where it matters. Sure, with legendary gear and weapons you can easily kill quite a lot of people... but at least you NEED to get gear for that unlike games like AC2-AC4 (with AC2 to a lesser extent) where you can take out armies with starting gear.

Fatal-Feit
02-27-2015, 10:36 AM
I'm split between Unity and AC3. They're both the best combat systems in the series, but they have separate pros and cons.

Starting off, Unity's combat is the most well-balance. Whether you practice or upgrade (and you feel compelled to upgrade!), the combat remains engaging and keeps you focused. You get a sense of satisfaction. It makes you feel compelled to learn the archetypes, use all the tools at your disposal, plan and strategize, and hell, become overwhelmed and want to actually escape sometimes. The animations are 2nd to AC3, but are my favorite. I absolutely love Arno's brutal yet civil combat animations. There are a ton of weapons with varying move sets and animations, parrying feels satisfying, and I love being able to manually dodge roll.

But with most of the positives out of the way, Unity has got some glaring technical issues with its combat. The guns are not a problem for me, but damn it, I can't get over the auto-sheath design. It's awful in Unity. Because disengaged combat causes Arno to automatically sheath his weapon, you're sometimes left defenseless when treading behind a poll, dodge rolling beside a box, or if a chair falls in front of you and your target. It's very annoying because it happens often. The littlest of things can disengage combat, even when you're clearly battling several enemies. And it doesn't help that high-profile sheaths your weapon. Because of that, you can't run towards enemies with your weapon out, let alone running from one side of the fight to the other. Camera angles are bad, controls feel a little clunky and unresponsive, and not all aiming firearms are highlighted (although mostly a problem because of the camera).

AC3's combat was the best of, pre-Unity. It's pretty easy, but was the most balanced of the bunch. Archetypes are diverse and complex, the varying animations are orgasmic, weapons, tools, and mechanics aren't too OP, controls feel nice and tight, overall it's pretty good for AC standard. It's easy to lose track of time when massacring waves of guards in the city. And I also love the addition of super powers in ToKW, although VERY OP.

Unfortunately, AC3 suffers from the blatant issue of being EASY. It's not as effortless as the past titles, including BF and RO, but it's not challenging enough. Once you learn the archetypes and their weaknesses, you're all set. No matter how many they send at you, whether a 100 or a 1000, it will still be a walk in the park. You don't feel endangered and that keeps the combat from being engaging. Camera angles are an issue, controls can feel jerky and disobedient, and the lack of health bars for targets does feel a bit off.

phoenix-force411
02-27-2015, 11:56 AM
Best for me: AC1

Worst combat for me: ACIV

The_Kiwi_
02-27-2015, 12:38 PM
There was great challenge in AC1
To perfect a parry took great timing, and you weren't even guaranteed a kill
And to kill someone without a parry also took great skill in timing; to hit the attack button at the contact of the previous strike was a great challenge indeed
And the kill animations themselves were brutal and wondrous to behold

AC2 took the same formula, but made it easier, less fun
And the animus trailing effects of the weapons were an eyesore
But a plus was that there was great variety to be had with the myriad of weapons available for use, and throwing dirt was always fun
Yet, it felt stale, as the animations were more or less the same as AC1
And the presence of medicine to heal open wounds was of great annoyance

ACB made using ranged weapons easier, as they were paired with primary weapons and were available to use if you held down the attack button
But the automatic kill streaks made the game so easy, it was not a nice addition
The animations were fresh, though, and again the weapon choice gave variety
But yet again, medicine was present, which made the game easier still

ACR has the best combat of the Ezio trilogy
It split the ranged and primary weapons onto two buttons, allowing for greater strategies to be implemented
And there were enemies immune to kill streaks, which weakened the use of it
And the animations of the weapons are my favourite of all
But it still doesn't hold the challenge and level of skill of AC1's combat
And once more, medicine...

AC3, 4 and L are far too similar to judge apart from each other
Although the uniqueness of dual wielding weapons brought forth freshness to each character, the kill streaks were still a problem
Double parry animations were epic, though, and I would always feel disappointed if I missed an opportunity to witness one
But when AC3 was announced to have dual wielding, I imagined being able to pick the weapon in each hand
It being merely a chosen weapon in one hand and a knife in the other was a great letdown
And the continued lack of it in AC4 was even more so
At least medicine was absent, that was a big plus

As for ACL, the return of medicine just shoved it all the way down to the bottom for me...
With medicine, it doesn't matter how hard Ubi makes the combat, because it will still always be incredibly simple

RADAR__4077
02-27-2015, 01:55 PM
I would say unity if it weren't for 2 things.
Magic medicine.
Being completely helpless and unable to dodge as you watch a distant enemy raise his gun and shoot.

AC 1 wins.

Farlander1991
02-27-2015, 01:58 PM
Difference between Unity medicine and AC2/ACB/ACR medicine:
In Unity if you don't use medicine you can die.
In Ezio's trilogy if you don't use medicine you may lose like a quarter of your health, if you're sleepy and don't pay attention at all.

Namikaze_17
02-27-2015, 02:14 PM
The one that gave me difficulty... :rolleyes:

EaglePrince25
02-27-2015, 02:49 PM
3, 4, and Rogue I thought returned some real challenge to the fighting system, while at the same time doing away with some of the more over-the-top (And honestly downright disturbing, but still cool lol) kill animations from the Ezio Trilogy. I also agree that I would've preferred to be able to pick both of the weapons that the characters would dual-wield, even though I wasn't unhappy with Connor's Tomahawk/knife combo, Edward's sword combo, or Shay's sword/knife combo, the choice still would have been appreciated for more variety.

Democrito_71
02-27-2015, 03:58 PM
I think Unitys was the best balanced combat system since AC1. There's a lot of things Ubisoft can improve with the new combat system like:

* Adding double counters so we can counter and stun two enemies at ones(not like in AC3, Black Flag and Rouge where you Instakill two enemies by the old double counter system)

* More combat animations

* More realistically killing animations

* Remove the magical health potions, bring back the health regenerator system from Black Flag back so we are more careful and act more tactical in combat

* Bring back the human shield mechanic from AC3, Black Flag and Rogue instead of dodging enemies bullets like in Unity

* Add hidden blade kills in the combat

SpiritOfNevaeh
02-27-2015, 04:07 PM
Had a number of polls like this already, but to contribute to the thread:

AC3

TGPomy9795
02-27-2015, 04:32 PM
Unity had better balanced combat, but it needs some serious work for sure. The animations/overall style seemed clunky and unfluid. Hidden blade combat and unarmed combat should be available, but they should be very difficult to use. Human shield should be an ability that can be used every 20 seconds or something. Also, disarming enemies was sorely missed.

Overall, I chose AC3 as my favorite combat. While it was super easy, it had the most features and animations and in general was the most fluid system yet. Also, Arno has such boring executions compared to previous Assassins. Hopefully AC Victory gets back to the brutal finishers.

JustPlainQuirky
02-27-2015, 05:06 PM
Black Flag for naval

Unity for land combat

Megas_Doux
02-27-2015, 05:09 PM
Human shield should be an ability that can be used every 20 seconds or something. .

I would include the Human shield ONLY when the enemies are on the verge of death, not at any given "time".

With that being said, if this was out of mere fun my answer is AC III. However AC U is what I like for this franchise in terms of having somewhat of a challenge, a step in the right direction.

JustPlainQuirky
02-27-2015, 05:11 PM
Don't see why anyone would say AC3.

It was horribly easy.

Namikaze_17
02-27-2015, 05:40 PM

It was horribly easy.

As all aside from AC1 to a degree.

JustPlainQuirky
02-27-2015, 05:42 PM
As all aside from AC1 to a degree.

Exactly.

AC1, AC Unity, and the naval games are the only ones with actual difficulty.

Though AC1's was difficult mainly because the combat system was unresponsive. at least for me.

i dunno, i have to replay it

Megas_Doux
02-27-2015, 05:57 PM

It was horribly easy.

Because of sheer fun, as simple as that. It´s not as easy as ACB, however the overall feeling is more brutal and "spectacular" that any other games in the franchise. Connor at times feels like a mohawk version of Kratos in that regard.

JustPlainQuirky
02-27-2015, 05:59 PM
I suppose.

Still feels like Weenie Hut Jr level

TGPomy9795
02-27-2015, 06:08 PM
I suppose.

Still feels like Weenie Hut Jr level

You can't deny how sexy the animations were in that game. Perfection, in my opinion.

JustPlainQuirky
02-27-2015, 06:11 PM
they were sexy

100/10 gameplay

Megas_Doux
02-27-2015, 06:24 PM
they were sexy

100/10 gameplay

Combat wise and disregarding the story that game could be called Warrior Creed III.

Altair1789
02-27-2015, 06:27 PM
AC1 and ACU were the best imo. I think AC3 would be third since I liked the combat animations

GunnerGalactico
02-27-2015, 06:40 PM
Unity definitely takes it for the combat system. ACB and AC3 are second best for me.

Namikaze_17
02-27-2015, 06:43 PM
Combat wise and disregarding the story that game could be called Warrior Creed III.

Same for Brotherhood.

"Press X damnit!"

Xstantin
02-27-2015, 06:47 PM
Unity.

m4r-k7
02-27-2015, 06:50 PM
I liked AC 1 and AC U combat system the most as combat was tense and brutal in those.

I liked AC 3's combat to some degree as it made you feel badass but it took away from the assassin feel.

Jackdaw951
02-27-2015, 06:57 PM
I voted Black Flag because of the naval combat. For land-based human combat, I would choose Unity. It has the greatest depth and polish in the series, and the RPG-like progression into it is most welcome.

Megas_Doux
02-27-2015, 07:07 PM
Same for Brotherhood.

"Press X damnit!"

In terms of "difficulty" both are on the same league, in fact ACB is even easier. What I meant is the "overall feeling" of the animations in AC III, which makes me think of Kratos finishing a boss. Did you know that even scalping was considered at some point????

Namikaze_17
02-27-2015, 07:19 PM
In terms of "difficulty" both are on the same league, in fact ACB is even easier. What I meant is the "overall feeling" of the animations in AC III, which makes me think of Kratos finishing a boss. Did you know that even scalping was considered at some point????

Yeah, I guess you got a point.

Both games felt warrior-ish as all I'm saying.

But I agree.

Fatal-Feit
02-27-2015, 07:47 PM

It was horribly easy.

Why would anyone choose AC2, B, R, IV, L, or RO then? They were easier.

Same for Brotherhood.

"Press X damnit!"

More like

''Hold X to seamlessly kill 40+ guards''

Shahkulu101
02-27-2015, 07:53 PM

I find 3 easier than the Ezio games, due to the streamlined controls, but AC3 has more depth in terms of enemy archetypes and kill streaks so it should be more challenging than the old games but I found having to hold R1 all the damn time clunky and annoying.

Fatal-Feit
02-27-2015, 08:01 PM
I find 3 easier than the Ezio games, due to the streamlined controls, but AC3 has more depth in terms of enemy archetypes and kill streaks so it should be more challenging than the old games but I found having to hold R1 all the damn time clunky and annoying.

I can try to ignore the easy chain kills, broken double tool kills, and even the ample amount of potions and health bars, but I can't get over the Brotherhood feature. With a push of a button, all Janissaries are dead in seconds.

SixKeys
02-27-2015, 09:37 PM
ACB for me. Yeah, I know it's easy as hell, but it felt really fluid and that made it fun. AC1 would be second.

JustPlainQuirky
02-27-2015, 09:42 PM

AC3 had regenerating health + sliiightly easier combat than Ezio trilogy.

ACIV and RO had very difficult naval. But on land it sucks just as much.

Namikaze_17
02-27-2015, 09:47 PM
There isn't much of a debate over which saga is easier than the other...

That said, I can't say none are really 'harder' than the other(s).

*Thoughts of taking out 10+ guards with lv1 gear*

JustPlainQuirky
02-27-2015, 09:50 PM
Im just saying I had a 3 year old play AC3 and she got pretty dang far.

Not saying I dislike AC3. It's my favorite title.

Just that the combat was waaaaaaaaaaaaaay too easy.

SixKeys
02-27-2015, 09:55 PM
I'm surprised people are saying AC3's combat is easier than AC2/ACB. I find AC3's combat one of the more challenging ones in the series, after Unity and AC1.

JustPlainQuirky
02-27-2015, 09:57 PM
I'm surprised people are saying AC3's combat is easier than AC2/ACB. I find AC3's combat one of the more challenging ones in the series, after Unity and AC1.

w0t?

w0t w0t?

it's a breeze

you can literally take down an army of 2,000 with enough patience by just spamming X and occasionally counter

and if you get hit your health just regens anyway

Farlander1991
02-27-2015, 09:59 PM
w0t?

w0t w0t?

it's a breeze

you can literally take down an army of 2,000 with enough patience by just spamming X and occasionally counter

You can't do that in AC3. I'm not saying that the system is challenging, but you can't just spam X, you have to press other buttons too depending on the archetypes :p Now ACB, on the other hand... there you don't have to press anything else other than X :rolleyes:

Shahkulu101
02-27-2015, 10:01 PM

Once you memorize the archetypes, it's an absolute breeze. Before I figured out what moves worked on who I did kind of struggle, and I do remember you said you couldn't be bothered memorizing the button presses, so that's why it's probably harder for you.

Namikaze_17
02-27-2015, 10:01 PM
I understand...I too have a younger sibling who's mastered AC's combat.

JustPlainQuirky
02-27-2015, 10:03 PM
@farlander

naaaaah i beat the game just by pressing x and occasionally counter in combat.

even those axe guys can be beaten with the standard attack button if you time it right

Farlander1991
02-27-2015, 10:03 PM
I understand...I too have a younger sibling who's mastered AC's combat.

I don't think younger siblings should be a criteria. Those bastards are hardcore, they'll always kick their older siblings asses :p

Farlander1991
02-27-2015, 10:04 PM
@farlander

naaaaah i beat the game just by pressing x and occasionally counter in combat.

even those axe guys can be beaten with the standard attack button if you time it right

I guess you never take officers on the offensive then? Because those guys always parry attacks :p

JustPlainQuirky
02-27-2015, 10:04 PM
it should be a criteria if said child is literally in his/her toddler phase

she sucks at Unity though, lmfao

Namikaze_17
02-27-2015, 10:05 PM
I don't think younger siblings should be a criteria. Those bastards are hardcore, they'll always kick their older siblings asses :p

Are you a younger sibling? :p

SixKeys
02-27-2015, 10:07 PM
Once you memorize the archetypes, it's an absolute breeze. Before I figured out what moves worked on who I did kind of struggle, and I do remember you said you couldn't be bothered memorizing the button presses, so that's why it's probably harder for you.

Yeah, the other archetypes are fine but I still hate Jaegers. I can never remember how to take those basterds down, so I just spam rope darts until I run out.

JustPlainQuirky
02-27-2015, 10:08 PM
I guess you never take officers on the offensive then? Because those guys always parry attacks

no i have. i remember because for the longest time i was like "why do they keep blocking my attacks?"

and i didnt know any other means of attack at the time but i still managed to kill them

SpiritOfNevaeh
02-27-2015, 10:10 PM

You will not believe the number of 13 year olds that can kick my butt on AC MP, and I'm higher level then them Dx

But the fighting system in AC3 is basically:

Level 1 (redcoats with muskets, etc): easy kill with Attack button

Level 2 (Captains, Grenadiers, etc): You need to disarm them or grab and throw them.

Level 3 (Jagers, etc): YOU NEED to disarm them.

So yeah, not VERY easy but easy to learn and get used to.

Namikaze_17
02-27-2015, 10:10 PM
^ It's simply really...

When you block their attack in slo-mo just press X instead of square followed by spamming the square button.

Or just shoot them in the head. :p

EDIT: To this day I still think Jägers should've been the level 1 guards. :(

Farlander1991
02-27-2015, 10:11 PM
no i have. i remember because for the longest time i was like "why do they keep blocking my attacks?"

and i didnt know any other means of attack at the time but i still managed to kill them

Probably because you killed them with counters or kill streaks. Those guys are immune to direct attacks (while grenadiers are immune to combo kills and kill streaks).

But anyway, yeah, I guess you can beat AC3's combat only with X, if you don't mind about breaking the flow of combat (which in AC3 is not a mechanic or anything, so there's no reason not to mind that, heh :D )

SixKeys
02-27-2015, 10:13 PM
^ It's simply really...

When you block their attack in slo-mo just press X instead of square followed by spamming the square button.

Or just shoot them in the head. :p

Yeah, shooting works too. But saying "press X and square" doesn't help when I'm on a keyboard. :p

JustPlainQuirky
02-27-2015, 10:15 PM
when i first played ac3 i didnt even know i could use guns or other items.

though once i did discover them it only made those axe guys easier. everything was about the same experience for me gameplay-wise

Namikaze_17
02-27-2015, 10:16 PM
Yeah, shooting works too. But saying "press X and square" doesn't help when I'm on a keyboard. :p

Ah, forgot. XD

One mission you had to use a gun with Haytham, May. :rolleyes:

How could you miss that?

JustPlainQuirky
02-27-2015, 10:18 PM
yeah but the gun was a contextual button prompt to be fair

i was too stupid to figure out how to shoot afterwards

this talk is making me wanna play AC3 again

*dusts off wii U*

Farlander1991
02-27-2015, 10:18 PM
Btw, I've read that some people said that being able to choose what to double weild would make the combat more varied... and I'm curious... besides the animations, how would it become more varied? There's absolutely no difference in how the weapons handle in AC3/AC4/ACL (and their stats also almost don't matter), unlike, for example, AC1 where each weapon has got a different feel (I don't know actually if ACU's like that as I've never tried anything but one handed swords in the game)

Shahkulu101
02-27-2015, 10:19 PM
Jäger's are nothing compared to Unity's elite guards.

Those bastards can dodge bullets, roll out of the way when you knock them down and throw smoke bombs. They also take an incredible amount of damage, which I actually don't mind since that's simply balances the large degree of punishment Arno can handle.

I also thought the Janissaries were harder than Jäger's. Strangely the most effective way to kill them was with fists.

Namikaze_17
02-27-2015, 10:21 PM
yeah but the gun was a contextual button prompt to be fair

i was too stupid to figure out how to shoot afterwards

this talk is making me wanna play AC3 again

*dusts off wii U*

I would too, but it gets boring after the fourth time.

You literally buy a gun before the mission too. XD

SixKeys
02-27-2015, 10:21 PM
Btw, I've read that some people said that being able to choose what to double weild would make the combat more varied... and I'm curious... besides the animations, how would it become more varied? There's absolutely no difference in how the weapons handle in AC3/AC4/ACL (and their stats also almost don't matter), unlike, for example, AC1 where each weapon has got a different feel (I don't know actually if ACU's like that as I've never tried anything but one handed swords in the game)

Agreed. I like ACB's "double-wielding" because it's automatic, looks cool and there are several unique kill animations depending on which combo you use.

ACU's weapons do all feel slightly different in the same vein as AC1, but the sword is easily the most efficient, at least IMO. So I never see a reason to switch.

JustPlainQuirky
02-27-2015, 10:23 PM
I would too, but it gets boring after the fourth time.

You literally buy a gun before the mission too. XD

like i said i was pretty stupid

i didnt even process the story the first time i played it

Namikaze_17
02-27-2015, 10:24 PM
like i said i was pretty stupid

i didnt even process the story the first time i played it

Neither did I...

Good times though.

SixKeys
02-27-2015, 10:28 PM
Jäger's are nothing compared to Unity's elite guards.

Those bastards can dodge bullets, roll out of the way when you knock them down and throw smoke bombs. They also take an incredible amount of damage, which I actually don't mind since that's simply balances the large degree of punishment Arno can handle.

I also thought the Janissaries were harder than Jäger's. Strangely the most effective way to kill them was with fists.

Unity's elite guards and ACR's Janissaries can all be beaten simply by mashing the attack button repeatedly, Jaegers can't. Unless you get really lucky like Quirky, apparently. Janissaries block a lot, but as long as you keep persistently wailing on them, they'll let their guard down eventually. Jaegers come at you in great numbers and use gun, so if you try to button-mash your way through, you're more likely to get shot by one from a distance before you've downed his buddy.

I find Unity's system easier to memorize than AC3's even though it also requires different button combos. IIRC, AC3's system (at least on keyboard) required you to sometimes tap, sometimes hold various buttons, and that's what confused me so much. There's one fight club mission where the only way to beat the guy is to keep throwing him into breakable objects and I couldn't remember how to do that, so it was an immensely frustrating fight. Turns out you had to hold, not tap (or vice versa, can't remember) a certain button to throw him.

Unity only has three options: dodge, parry, attack. Different button for each action, so they're easier to memorize.

JustPlainQuirky
02-27-2015, 10:29 PM
Unless you get really lucky like Quirky, apparently.

I make my own lu-

*immediately punched in the face*

Farlander1991
02-27-2015, 10:36 PM
Unity's elite guards and ACR's Janissaries can all be beaten simply by mashing the attack button repeatedly

Well, technically speaking all enemies in ACU can be beaten by mashing the attack button, but those bastards dodge and parry and retaliate which makes it not as easy as it sounds.

Unless you've got the highest-highest gear, of course. And by that point, why shouldn't you be stronger than other enemies, really? And gear is kinda a difficulty level selection in a way in ACU, if you want more challenge you don't equip high level gear. In games like ACB or AC3 you can't escape from the fact that an overpowered kill streak is ALWAYS there.

JustPlainQuirky
02-27-2015, 10:39 PM
Unity's combat is actually pretty much the same as most of the other ACs.

Only diff is animations are slower and timing window is much smaller.

That being said that simple change made it significantly more difficult.

SixKeys
02-27-2015, 10:40 PM
Well, technically speaking all enemies in ACU can be beaten by mashing the attack button, but those bastards dodge and parry and retaliate which makes it not as easy as it sounds.

Unless you've got the highest-highest gear, of course. And by that point, why shouldn't you be stronger than other enemies, really? And gear is kinda a difficulty level selection in a way in ACU, if you want more challenge you don't equip high level gear. In games like ACB or AC3 you can't escape from the fact that an overpowered kill streak is ALWAYS there.

True. I haven't gone back to lower level gear in ACU much, so it's hard to remember how easy or difficult the combat is without the best gear.

Fatal-Feit
02-27-2015, 10:41 PM
I'm going not going to re-quote every post I've missed, but it's factually impossible to kill every guards by spamming X in AC3. They're immune to spam, chain kills, and counter-kill. Even double-tool-kills don't leave you immune. The previous titles, including Revelations however, aren't.

As silly as it is, I'm a huge fan of AC's combat systems so I always spend hours experimenting with mechanics, different sets of weapons, and all that. What I love about Unity's combat is that despite feeling compelled to upgrade, with practice you can still defeat level 5 enemies with level 1 gear.

JustPlainQuirky
02-27-2015, 10:44 PM
I'm going not going to re-quote every post I've missed, but it's factually impossible to kill every guards by spamming X in AC3. They're immune to spam, chain kills, and counter-kill. Even double-tool-kills don't leave you immune. The previous titles, including Revelations however, aren't.

then how could i have possibly beaten the game without knowing any attack other than x?

TGPomy9795
02-27-2015, 10:47 PM
Unity's combat is actually pretty much the same as most of the other ACs.

Only diff is animations are slower and timing window is much smaller.

That being said that simple change made it significantly more difficult.

Unity is definitely a step in the right direction, but they still haven't nailed it. I'm anxious to see what Victory brings to the table. I imagine if you put Unity's, AC3's, and Shadow of Mordor's combat systems in a blender, you'd end up with something pretty good.

JustPlainQuirky
02-27-2015, 10:48 PM
Unity is definitely a step in the right direction, but they still haven't nailed it. I'm anxious to see what Victory brings to the table. I imagine if you put Unity's, AC3's, and Shadow of Mordor's combat systems in a blender, you'd end up with something pretty good.

Victory is going to be a bunch of old-timey fist fights probably, lmfao

considering they dont have swords then

Shahkulu101
02-27-2015, 10:49 PM
Unity's elite guards and ACR's Janissaries can all be beaten simply by mashing the attack button repeatedly, Jaegers can't. Unless you get really lucky like Quirky, apparently. Janissaries block a lot, but as long as you keep persistently wailing on them, they'll let their guard down eventually. Jaegers come at you in great numbers and use gun, so if you try to button-mash your way through, you're more likely to get shot by one from a distance before you've downed his buddy.

I find Unity's system easier to memorize than AC3's even though it also requires different button combos. IIRC, AC3's system (at least on keyboard) required you to sometimes tap, sometimes hold various buttons, and that's what confused me so much. There's one fight club mission where the only way to beat the guy is to keep throwing him into breakable objects and I couldn't remember how to do that, so it was an immensely frustrating fight. Turns out you had to hold, not tap (or vice versa, can't remember) a certain button to throw him.

Unity only has three options: dodge, parry, attack. Different button for each action, so they're easier to memorize.

They may be easier to attack individually, but if you're in a group fighting (and you rarely aren't) then wailing on them repeatedly isn't really an option as other guards will attack you and you need to switch your focus to them. This is especially true in ACU where the enemies are very aggressive, and you mainly just have to rely on perfect parry and trying to get a few hits in before you need to defend yourself from other guards. Another thing is that you can't just spam tools, there is no rope dart that kills them instantly and they can straight up dodge bullets.

Unity does have simpler button presses yes so that I can understand. In general Unity is actually a very simple combat system but it's the parameters that have changed - counter window, enemy damage etc - as well as the removal of counter kills which is the point Quirky was making.

SixKeys
02-27-2015, 10:57 PM
They may be easier to attack individually, but if you're in a group fighting (and you rarely aren't) then wailing on them repeatedly isn't really an option as other guards will attack you and you need to switch your focus to them. This is especially true in ACU where the enemies are very aggressive, and you mainly just have to rely on perfect parry and trying to get a few hits in before you need to defend yourself from other guards. Another thing is that you can't just spam tools, there is no rope dart that kills them instantly and they can straight up dodge bullets.

Unity does have simpler button presses yes so that I can understand. In general Unity is actually a very simple combat system but it's the parameters that have changed - counter window, enemy damage etc - as well as the removal of counter kills which is the point Quirky was making.

Sure, I'm not saying Unity's combat is easy. Just that I find it more logical and less frustrating due to the simplified controls. There's also one big difference which is that all of Unity's archetypes are more or less vulnerable to smoke/flash bombs, whereas Jaegers and Janissaries will back away from smoke.

Fatal-Feit
02-27-2015, 11:11 PM
then how could i have possibly beaten the game without knowing any attack other than x?

I can't answer this w/o calling you a liar.

JustPlainQuirky
02-27-2015, 11:13 PM
I can't answer this w/o calling you a liar.

I'll gladly upload a video of proof.

does the wii u support any video recording?

Shahkulu101
02-27-2015, 11:17 PM
I'll gladly upload a video of proof.

does the wii u support any video recording?

If you've got an Elgato or HDPVR, yeah. :rolleyes:

JustPlainQuirky
02-27-2015, 11:18 PM
If you've got an Elgato or HDPVR, yeah. :rolleyes:

*googles*

ahahahahhaha

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHA

No.

Fatal, when I build that PC I'll record proof on fraps or something

Shahkulu101
02-27-2015, 11:20 PM
*googles*

ahahahahhaha

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHA

No.

Well I actually don't have a clue since I know nothing of Wii U's, but I doubt there's anything as comprehensive as PS4's share feature.

Fatal-Feit
02-27-2015, 11:22 PM

NP, I can wait the 2834583475093475 years.

JustPlainQuirky
02-27-2015, 11:23 PM
NP, I can wait the 2834583475093475 years.

gimme 300 dollars and i'll speed it up to 2

or give me your pc

you want to replace it anyway

edit:

i can probably record the TV screen with a phone camera or something. or maybe tv is too shiny. imma try

Fatal-Feit
02-27-2015, 11:32 PM
Remember, no A, B, or Y. Just X. And make sure you're not just targeting the infantries around the city. I want to see some brutes and agiles in the mix.

JustPlainQuirky
02-27-2015, 11:34 PM
im using wii u so not sure if buttons same as ps3 ver but alright

and i have no idea who infantries are but ok

Fatal-Feit
02-27-2015, 11:39 PM
Basically, just mash the attack button and that's it.

JustPlainQuirky
02-27-2015, 11:40 PM
got it.

Sorrosyss
02-28-2015, 02:40 AM
Went for Brotherhood. The execution streaks just made me feel more like an assassin than any of the other titles. The more recent games have far too many blocking enemies for my taste, making combat feel dragged out, and my assassin not so heroic.

topeira1980
03-01-2015, 09:27 AM
it's been a while since i've been to these boards but im glad to hop into this discussion again.

i vote for UNITY big time. there is truth to the notion that ACU's combat doesnt empower the players as much so you dont feel like this kick-@$$ assassin that can one-move-kill everyone but i would gladly give up the feeling (which i get enough of in shadow of mordor or batman games) for a more balanced combat.
in the end of a 1VS5 combat in ACU (and i rarely use level 5 gear. usually level 3 or 4), if i win, i feel like a bad-@$$ myself because i know this was not a victory that was handed to me. i EARNED it.
that's why i like it so much more.
having counter be a defensive AND offensive is something i always called a MISTAKE on UBI's behalf. if you dont need to chose whether to defend or attack but you can just use one option to be both than it means that this is the only option you're going to use.... in ACU i feel that every move has a use... the only issue i have with ACU's combat is that once you learn the HEAVY ATTACK than you no longer need the stagger strike. that is a problem. the problem comes form the fact that no enemy can react to a heavy attack. enemies almost never roll away and since you can cancel the slow heavy attack in favor of rolling or parrying than this attack alone can be all you need in combat.
that's a mistake in balance, if you ask me.

but the real thing i always wanted action games like AC (or batman or other action games like these) to have is NONE PATTERN ENEMIES. which means that enemy archetypes can have different set of moves, strengths and weaknesses but they should not always react according to a pattern.
take the warchiefs in shadow of mordor - yeah, they might be level 20 or 25 but they all obey a pattern, and once you know their weaknesses they are all easy on their own.
i wish for enemies that are NOT predictable.
the closest enemy type to this is in batman arkham origins - the martial artist was the most fun enemy IMO in the batman games.

ACU is close to it by a little - enemies sometimes do lite attack and sometimes heavy attacks. enemies can parry and they also may NOT parry, but sadly you quickly learn when and how they do every move - the seekers will parry twice then perfect parry (so you can just use heavy attack or stagger strike or not attack thrice in a row), and one-handed normal soldiers will not parry at all at level 1 and 2, parry once at level 3 and parry twice then attack at level 4. defenders will ALWAYS parry twice then attack. brutes never parry. so all enemies are pretty predictable. sometimes they bump into walls or get behind a small cover which will reset their pattern and create some unpredictability but not only that this is more like a bug than a feature, generally you know EXACTLY what an enemy will do even before he does it.

and because i KNOW for a FACT that an enemy will pary my first attack than all i need to do is Heavy attack him or stagger strike him first.... which makes approaching every enemy the same way.

i wish for games to CHANGE that.
in UNITY i wish that regular soldiers would know how to parry, but the whether they parry or not will be about chance (say level 2 enemies have 20% of parrying while level 4 enemies will have 60%) and defenders will have higher percentage of that, and seekers and officers will have a 25% of parrying and 25% of perfect parrying, so you never know what's coming and have to react.
this way even a single enemy can be challenging or surprising, even with level 5 gear. not a real life threat, but will still force you to really watch what he is doing.

as it stands in UNITY every single enemy without any exception can be taken out with Heavy attack, then a mix of lite attacks and heavy attacks or just heavy attacks. that's it.

the fight i enjoyed the most in UNITY was that fight in chapter 7. you know what i mean. this was the one and only adversary that was really interesting. give me more enemies like this, that can stagger strike me and perfect parry me, only with a reasonable amount of health and not bloated, and i will be delighted. just dont make them predictable.

kriegerdesgottes
03-02-2015, 02:16 AM
I loved the combat the way it was in the beginning but ACB was my favorite by far. It mixed countering with offensive gameplay by adding chain kills. It also added characters that you couldn't just take out with a chain making it a little more difficult but it was still fun. I also really loved how you could throw pikes through people and you could do a killing move and then throw a hidden blade at the same time. Very cool. I hate the new combat the way it has been. I didn't care much for AC3 combat but it wasn't the end of the world but this new ACU combat is just awful in my opinion. ACB all the way.

Namikaze_17
03-02-2015, 02:34 AM
Went for Brotherhood. The execution streaks just made me feel more like an assassin than any of the other titles. The more recent games have far too many blocking enemies for my taste, making combat feel dragged out, and my assassin not so heroic.

Right, because Assassins should be unstoppable juggernauts with little to no weaknesses in combat.

Realistic indeed. :rolleyes:

AssassinHMS
03-02-2015, 03:10 AM
Right, because Assassins should be unstoppable juggernauts with little to no weaknesses in combat.

Realistic indeed. :rolleyes:

I also like his definition of "heroism".

Namikaze_17
03-02-2015, 03:26 AM

https://i.warosu.org/data/ic/img/0019/98/1425152206280.gif

Fatal-Feit
03-02-2015, 04:55 AM
People with different opinions have feelings too...

RADAR__4077
03-02-2015, 05:14 AM
People with different opinions have feelings too...

No they don't... That's my opinion :p

Lol I threw in my 2 cents. Time for bed.

Fatal-Feit
03-02-2015, 05:20 AM
Sweet dreams of your Robin Hood AC game.

playlisting
03-02-2015, 06:38 AM
I can't decide. I've still to finish AC 1 so can't comment on that. AC 2 was good because you could be very swift on your feet. You didn't have to block or counter the attack, you could dodge and strafe. Strafing backwards once or twice to get some distance between you and your enemies is very helpful and something that I always notice as missing on everything post-AC 2. I never felt more badass than when I timed a side strafe perfectly and managed to stab the enemy in the back. I don't like to just go on a counter-fest like some do - I like to chip away at my enemy's health until they fall. Dodging and strafing until an opening appears so I can get a few good hits in and then proceed to make sure I don't get hit until the chance arises again. In AC 3 and 4 it feels far too much like you're on the offensive all the time. You're constantly trying to kill - never trying to dodge or move. It certainly looks cooler but it doesn't feel as rewarding and generally feels quite cheap. The only time I ever use it is when I need to get the kills quickly.

I'll say AC 2.

Xangr8
03-02-2015, 07:27 AM
Unity has got a pretty cool combat and you start to enjoy it once you get a hold of it. It's got some awesome animations too x)

VoldR
03-02-2015, 08:18 AM
Got a question about the whole"perfect timing" for AC1...

ur talking about hidden blades right?

Because as far as I know, there's no such thing with swords and knife.
Only hidden blade can insta kill with perfect timing.

Other weapons, u must injure them first then u can kill them with a counter.
So every time you see a parry, that's just u injuring them.
Then when their life is low enough u can do a counter kill...

So unless someone can show a video with "perfect timing" in their first strike, people are chasing as a fantasy.

The_Kiwi_
03-02-2015, 03:29 PM
Got a question about the whole"perfect timing" for AC1...

ur talking about hidden blades right?

Because as far as I know, there's no such thing with swords and knife.
Only hidden blade can insta kill with perfect timing.

Other weapons, u must injure them first then u can kill them with a counter.
So every time you see a parry, that's just u injuring them.
Then when their life is low enough u can do a counter kill...

So unless someone can show a video with "perfect timing" in their first strike, people are chasing as a fantasy.

Perfect timing means you press attack again the instant your sword makes contact with the enemy sword
If you time it perfectly, its an instakill

------

Playing Unity makes me really how easy the combat is
Its a less badass version of previous game combat
Spam square and they're dead, simple as that

VoldR
03-02-2015, 04:00 PM
Perfect timing means you press attack again the instant your sword makes contact with the enemy sword
If you time it perfectly, its an instakill

I still would like to see a vid of it. For I've never seen such a thing before personally.
Its always hurt them first then instakill.

When I hurt a bunch of people first, then I can instakill them all changing between sword to knife.

Only hidden blade I know fir a fact can instakill full health people, even bosses like Al Mualim
Manage to chain kill he's phantoms swiftly before, not too difficult. If hidden blade can do it easily, why not sword or knife

VoldR
03-02-2015, 04:33 PM
Been searching for a vid about it but all I find is what I already said, they can only parry until their health is low for an instakill...Except, when there's only one person, he can be instakill by a single counter.Something like batman, when there's only one person he can be insta KO no matter what batman does, from a simple punch or a batarang or maybe even slide kick... Not sure about that last one, lol

Megas_Doux
03-02-2015, 05:20 PM

Sad and pretty telling if you ask me......

Megas_Doux
03-02-2015, 05:29 PM
I you couldn't just take out with a chain making it a little more difficult but it was still fun..

LOL NO!!!!

As shown here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qR089iYnheY

You could "chain kill" EVERY enemy: Agile, seekers, heavy and even papal guards with EVERY weapon available from the very beginning of the game. Which is pretty telling if you think about it....... More fluid than in AC I/AC II indeed, but unlike you said, WAY easier.

I voted for Unity, still easy by all accounts, but at least not baby tier easy. Besides that, I enjoy Arno´s overall style.

topeira1980
03-02-2015, 05:46 PM
LOL NO!!!!

As shown here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qR089iYnheY

You could "chain kill" EVERY enemy: Agile, seekers, heavy and even papal guards with EVERY weapon available from the very beginning of the game. Which is pretty telling if you think about it....... More fluid than in AC I/AC II indeed, but unlike you said, WAY easier.

I voted for Unity, still easy by all accounts, but at least not baby tier easy. Besides that, I enjoy Arno´s overall style.

yeah. this video shows the "problem" with the combat system. it heavily relies on the "im so cool" factor and not on the "game is balanced" factor.
if, with the combat system in ACB, you can burder 40 enemies at once, than the game should constantly throw 40 enemies at you, so there is some challenge and reason for stealth and gadget use. but it doesnt. in the batman games there is the HARD difficulty system and game+ mode where the overpowering system that allows batman to take on so many thugs is balanced by the amount of enemies he faces. in AC2-ACIV there isnt. and the HUGE amount of health or regenerating health in every single game (besides unity) means that combat is a much more effective tool than any quick tool or stealth. you could literaly win the war for the colonies on america and defeat the british army all by yourself. if this was a game about supernatural soldier from hell than i'd accept this approach, perhaps. but this ain't devil may cry.

in unity the combat lost a lot of the moves you could use previously, some for no good reason (like hidden blade fighting, or using a knife, or grabbing or sidestepping) along with the moves that were discarded for very good reason (counter kills, human shield [to a degree] and chain kills) but even though combat was simplified it was a lot more rewarding IMO. i find that a somewhat realistic assassin could take on waves of up to 6 or 8 enemies at a time, but more than that he needs to run. and the combat and upgrade system in ACU gave me that. even heroes in movies dont fight as many enemies and win (unless they are super human). even in the batman movies he wouldnt fight 30 enemies at once. only a handful.

i hope victory will not abandon sword fighting and improve upon the combat system, ADDING more moves without breaking the balance of 1vs5 = win, but 1vs10= death.

Altair1789
03-02-2015, 07:12 PM
One things for sure: they need to bring back the animus training. I'd love to fight infinite guards with Unity's combat system, and hopefully they'll make guards use guns less often

poptartz20
03-02-2015, 09:35 PM
Best combat, each has it own qualities.

AC3 had some difficulties when it Came to Jagers and the Axe wielders but I would say in General this combat was the most fun.

ACU More challenging that the rest. good balance.

AC 4 Best Naval Gamplay

Fatal-Feit
03-02-2015, 10:52 PM
One things for sure: they need to bring back the animus training. I'd love to fight infinite guards with Unity's combat system, and hopefully they'll make guards use guns less often

*sneaks back in*

honestly, i think they should bring back revelations' virtual tutorial simulator instead. it was pretty in-depth and showcased a lot of mechanics most players may have missed out on. a lot of people say ac3 or black flag had simpler mechanics than the ezio trilogy, but that's not true and i think thats because the game never really told us about them and left it to avid players to discover it themselves.

oke, i go now

Farlander1991
03-02-2015, 11:13 PM
*sneaks back in*

honestly, i think they should bring back revelations' virtual tutorial simulator instead. it was pretty in-depth and showcased a lot of mechanics most players may have missed out on. a lot of people say ac3 or black flag had simpler mechanics than the ezio trilogy, but that's not true and i think thats because the game never really told us about them and left it to avid players to discover it themselves.

oke, i go now

Isn't the tutorial system in the Cafe like the Animus tutorials in ACR? I mean, it's essentially the same thing: a secluded area for different non-parkour related tutorial tasks.

Fatal-Feit
03-03-2015, 12:02 AM
Isn't the tutorial system in the Cafe like the Animus tutorials in ACR? I mean, it's essentially the same thing: a secluded area for different non-parkour related tutorial tasks.

oh yeah, i was meaning to mention that. it's not worse by any means, it's probably the best tutorial in the franchise. it covered all of unity's combat mechanics. I just hope they continue to give players an in-depth tutorial when they introduce new combat mechanics in the future like in revelations w/ its hook/loot counter. it was astounding when someone posted a video doing tool counter & double tool kill in black flag and a lot of people here had just discovered it.

Defalt221
03-03-2015, 11:58 AM
AC Unity...and rising...hmmm. I didn't like Unity's combat because of it being really really slow.

Xangr8
03-03-2015, 06:06 PM
First, they need to bring back the memory corridors. It'd have been so amazing walking through the Helix corridors.

TH3R4BB1T
03-03-2015, 08:27 PM
Think most only know Unity combat here. XD But I will go for Revelations, it is close to Brotherhood, only the hook was awesome and the zip lines and the parachute and the....

Fatal-Feit
03-03-2015, 09:24 PM
Think most only know Unity combat here.

Judging by the posts here, I'm incline to disagree wholeheartedly. Beautiful sig, btw.

Hans684
03-03-2015, 09:28 PM
Never liked combat but you do what you gotta do. Anyway the vote goes for Unity.

VoldR
03-04-2015, 10:12 AM
Guess I should vote now, lol
I pick AC3.

It has every thing Ezio have except the gadgets from Leonardo or the hookblade
But though we cant zipline its nice to see him do it in a cinematic.

Love the new rope dart, dual wielding different weapons, not same weapons like Edward.
Intro to dual counter is fun, able to death from above with any weapons, even a rifle.

I'm not 100% sure but I think he had more takedowns animations for static guards then Edward ever will.
Last Horse combat, animal fights, actually using the rifles instead of staring at it beside a corpse.

PS: Does anyone know that ezio can counter with the crossbow?
Can be seen here 14:15
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=xSfq542kZug

rrebe
03-04-2015, 10:21 AM
Unity. I like the challenge.

Defalt221
03-04-2015, 11:11 AM
Unity had better balanced combat, but it needs some serious work for sure. The animations/overall style seemed clunky and unfluid. Hidden blade combat and unarmed combat should be available, but they should be very difficult to use. Human shield should be an ability that can be used every 20 seconds or something. Also, disarming enemies was sorely missed.

Overall, I chose AC3 as my favorite combat. While it was super easy, it had the most features and animations and in general was the most fluid system yet. Also, Arno has such boring executions compared to previous Assassins. Hopefully AC Victory gets back to the brutal finishers.

Ubisoft should bring back the fluid and fast combat of AC3 (especially the one-handed sword fighting that made you look like a skilled fencer) but the same level of difficulty of AC Unity. Human shield should work like in AC2 so that we can also escape taking a human shield and not just for blocking bullets. And pls,the rope dart. Hopefully the grappling hook could serve as the rope dart in combat...

Fatal-Feit
03-04-2015, 11:27 AM
Ubisoft should bring back the fluid and fast combat of AC3 (especially the one-handed sword fighting that made you look like a skilled fencer) but the same level of difficulty of AC Unity.

The problem here is that they can't bring back AC3's combat and just make it hard like Unity. With AC3, they've tried everything in the book already. Enemies that are immune to chain-kills, counters, ferocious archetypes like Jagers that plague the field, etc, etc. It's too contextual so once you learn the system, you can take down an entire army.

Human shield should work like in AC2 so that we can also escape taking a human shield and not just for blocking bullets.

AC2 had human shields?

And pls,the rope dart. Hopefully the grappling hook could serve as the rope dart in combat...

Aw, man. Watching both AC3 and Victory's target gameplay makes me believe they're bringing back an alternative version of the chain-blade. They had originally scrapped it for the rope dart to be more historically accurate, but now is the appropriate time.

Farlander1991
03-04-2015, 11:32 AM
AC2 had human shields?

Technically if you a grab an enemy you can use him as a human shield if you manage to position yourself properly.

Shahkulu101
03-04-2015, 02:29 PM
Technically if you a grab an enemy you can use him as a human shield if you manage to position yourself properly.

Hmmm, then doing that would actually be a better way of defending against gunshots. The human shield in AC3/4 was too automatic.

Having to move into the correct position might feel too fiddly though.

Best solution: go to a time period without guns. ;)

Farlander1991
03-04-2015, 03:17 PM
Hmmm, then doing that would actually be a better way of defending against gunshots. The human shield in AC3/4 was too automatic.

In battle dodging behind enemies or cover works well enough for shielding from bullets in Unity ;) And for escapes there's always smoke bombs :D

Hans684
03-04-2015, 05:23 PM

I use human shields in AC1, guns isn't needed. Bow and arrow works just as fine.

Defalt221
03-05-2015, 07:08 PM
The problem here is that they can't bring back AC3's combat and just make it hard like Unity. With AC3, they've tried everything in the book already. Enemies that are immune to chain-kills, counters, ferocious archetypes like Jagers that plague the field, etc, etc. It's too contextual so once you learn the system, you can take down an entire army.
AC2 had human shields?

Just replace counter kill with counter punch (like in Unity) and add more damage rating to enemies attacks,make medicines heal wounds VERY SLOWLY and only would work when out of combat.,add more accurate enemy shooters (unlike those drunk shooters from AC3). And thus AC 3-like combat with Unity difficulty will be the hardest but most exciting combat ever.
And yes,AC2 had human shields. It's 'grab' in mid combat and face at an enemy about to shoot you,and you get human shield. But more dynamic,because you can use it in more ways than for a mere human shielding.

Fatal-Feit
03-05-2015, 11:55 PM
Man, it's not all JUST this and JUST that, with an extra an sprinkle of JUST here and there. There's a lot that goes into development.

Just replace counter kill with counter punch (like in Unity)

It's call parry and AC3 already has that. So remove counter kill in general.

and add more damage rating to enemies attacks

They inflict more damage or you inflict more damage?

make medicines heal wounds VERY SLOWLY and only would work when out of combat

Why not make it instant when you're out of combat? Slow medicine healing would be an annoying experience if it's something outside of the combat.

add more accurate enemy shooters (unlike those drunk shooters from AC3).

I don't understand the problem with AC3's shooters.

And thus AC 3-like combat with Unity difficulty will be the hardest but most exciting combat ever.

It's not even remotely difficult yet. You still have tool-counter, chain-kills, double tool kills, double counter, regenerating health, human shield, etc. But the main problem with AC3's combat is that it's all contextual. Everything is played by an unchallenging set of regulations. I don't actually use counter kills in AC3's combat anymore and it's still a walk in the park for me.

cawatrooper9
03-06-2015, 12:08 AM
I voted for 3, because I just find the combat to be fluid, epic, and satisfying (even if it is a tad bit buggy sometimes).
However, I also liked ACB and ACR's quite a bit, as well as Unity (which got A LOT of love here, apparently!)

ACII had the worst combat, in my humble opinion.

XxEagleHeartxX
03-06-2015, 12:36 AM
I voted for AC:U.

While the combat can be easy at times, if you are not paying attention you will get killed.

Defalt221
03-06-2015, 06:26 PM
It's call parry and AC3 already has that. So remove counter kill in general.

No, I mean 'counter attack' like in Shadow of Mordor which damages the enemy a little but does not kill them unless their health in extremely low. Unlike in Unity where a counter NEVER hurts the enemy,not even the slightest bit. Parry does not do that.

They inflict more damage or you inflict more damage?

They.

Why not make it instant when you're out of combat? Slow medicine healing would be an annoying experience if it's something outside of the combat.

No,the slow medicine healing gives a purpose to remain stealthy while free roaming after you are injured in your last fight. Insta-healing would mean you running wildly after a brutal encounter as if nothing happened (like in every AC game) which breaks realism. And because free roaming while remaining in stealth has never been that much encouraged. A notoriety system was too easy to deal with (just pull down those posters and everyone magically forgets you as if their memories were those posters) . But the tense experience to stealthily make your way to a safe house or shop to regain medicine and slowly heal with it while blending and evading city guards after getting brutally injured in a fight is something we don't have in AC games.

I don't understand the problem with AC3's shooters.
The enemies miss their shots too much. They gather in a line and make a volley of shots and if you keep running,they always miss.

It's not even remotely difficult yet. You still have tool-counter, chain-kills, double tool kills, double counter, regenerating health, human shield, etc. But the main problem with AC3's combat is that it's all contextual. Everything is played by an unchallenging set of regulations. I don't actually use counter kills in AC3's combat anymore and it's still a walk in the park for me.

That's what we need. We are playing an assassin,not some ordinary soldier with a luxurious expensive robe and a sword. We are supposed to have unique moves like dual tool kill, human shield and stuffs,or what's the point of being an assassin who spent years honing his skills only to be no different than an ordinary street guard? And no. These changes won't make the combat easy at all esp with the chain kill gone and the counter no more being an insta-kill technique but to simply knock an enemy away. The reason AC3 combat being a cake walk was because you could kill 1000+ enemies (an entire army) in mere seconds ONLY because of these two OP moves.

SteelCity999
03-06-2015, 06:39 PM
Unity had the best system and your decisions mattered. The RPG style element was great. I don't think it was as clean as it should've been and that's reflected in the overall QA of the game as well. I think when everything worked properly it was really good but when it didn't it was awful.

Defalt221
03-08-2015, 11:56 AM
Unity had the best system and your decisions mattered. The RPG style element was great. I don't think it was as clean as it should've been and that's reflected in the overall QA of the game as well. I think when everything worked properly it was really good but when it didn't it was awful.

Agree totally. They should have released it in this February. Then with the lack of glitches and bugs,it'd be brilliant. Then again,they wouldn't know what bugs to fix if they hadn't released it early. Then the game would still end up messy.