PDA

View Full Version : Warrior Mode

DemonLord4lf
02-27-2015, 12:44 AM
I was playing some old games and I was reminded of certain modes that increased your combat skills.

So my thinking is that they do something like that in AC. You build up enough of a combo that you can then chain kills, or do a double kill or something like the sort. Or it could be like a limited trigger. Where you can only use it for a certain period of time. This way, combat can be tough, but still fun. I'm not sure what the requirements should be to activate the trigger. I'm open to suggestions as to how they could do this. I'm sure it could be somehow linked to eagle vision or something.

SixKeys
02-27-2015, 12:55 AM
Meh, sounds too much like a gimmick.

Namikaze_17
02-27-2015, 01:32 AM
"If I keep doing this combo on these damn heartless, I get enough to go drive form!"

Fatal-Feit
02-27-2015, 02:22 AM
The previous games have something like that. It's called double-tool-kills.

SixKeys
02-27-2015, 02:38 AM
I think Liberation has a system closest to this. If you get enough successful counters, time slows down and you can mark several enemies, then Aveline will do a cinematic multi-kill. It's too much of a "press X to win" system for me.

DemonLord4lf
02-27-2015, 03:24 AM
I think Liberation has a system closest to this. If you get enough successful counters, time slows down and you can mark several enemies, then Aveline will do a cinematic multi-kill. It's too much of a "press X to win" system for me.

But its fun, i'll agree its been overdone, so lets find a way to make it challenging and fun... This was my idea... If you guys have some better idea, I'm all ears...

DemonLord4lf
02-27-2015, 03:25 AM
"If I keep doing this combo on these damn heartless, I get enough to go drive form!"

Kingdom Hearts reference, lol took me a while to get it :p

Namikaze_17
02-27-2015, 03:58 AM
Kingdom Hearts reference, lol took me a while to get it :p

Indeed. :cool:

DemonLord4lf
02-27-2015, 04:02 AM
Indeed. :cool:

But couldn't we do something like that in AC? Perhaps only in certain moments in the game where stealth is not an option, we could be able to use this feature in combat.

Namikaze_17
02-27-2015, 05:06 AM
But couldn't we do something like that in AC? Perhaps only in certain moments in the game where stealth is not an option, we could be able to use this feature in combat.

I doubt that.

As Sixkeys said, it's too much of a gimmick.

DemonLord4lf
02-27-2015, 05:09 AM
I doubt that.

As Sixkeys said, it's too much of a gimmick.

Then how about you guys come up with something better then... I asked for ideas, not just people saying no, your idea sounds stupid -_-

Namikaze_17
02-27-2015, 05:31 AM
No one is saying it's stupid. Just it wouldn't fit.

Xstantin
02-27-2015, 05:38 AM
If it was a Viking game, I could see some insane berserker mode. Maybe

Fatal-Feit
02-27-2015, 05:55 AM
Instead of something for combat, how about some kind of Mark and Execute feature for stealth? The animation can function similar to Edward's quadruple pistols kills. Once you mark a few targets with eagle vision, tapping the phantom blade/firearm button causes your protagonist to quickly kill/headshot the marked targets w/o aiming.

DemonLord4lf
02-27-2015, 05:58 AM
Instead of something for combat, how about some kind of Mark and Execute feature for stealth? The animation can function similar to Edward's quadruple pistols kills. Once you mark a few targets with eagle vision, tapping the phantom blade/firearm button causes your protagonist to quickly kill/headshot the marked targets w/o aiming.

That would be interesting. How would you go about setting it up though? Would it be just like Edward's quadruple pistol kill, and could it be a silent kill or would it be loud?

Fatal-Feit
02-27-2015, 06:02 AM
Sound is dependent on which weapon you use. If you use the phantom blade, it's silent. Firearms are obviously loud.

DemonLord4lf
02-27-2015, 06:03 AM
Sound is dependent on which weapon you use. If you use the phantom blade, it's silent. Firearms are obviously loud.

So a four shot phantom blade?

Fatal-Feit
02-27-2015, 06:08 AM
2 silent quick kill shots w/o aiming. Pistols, depending on what you have, hold more shots but they're loud.

Actually, I can see this idea expanded into both stealth and combat. Using it with the phantom blades functions well during stealth, pistols functions well during combat. Stuff like that.

DemonLord4lf
02-27-2015, 06:11 AM
2 silent quick kill shots w/o aiming. Pistols, depending on what you have, hold more shots but they're loud.

Actually, I can see this idea expanded into both stealth and combat. Using it with the phantom blades functions well during stealth, pistols functions well during combat. Stuff like that.

It would be fun to set up a chain kill before hand, but still require planning. Hmmm...

Fatal-Feit
02-27-2015, 06:13 AM
Chain kills are practically in Unity. If you use a 5 star weapon against 2-3 level enemies, a heavy attack perform instant kills.

DemonLord4lf
02-27-2015, 06:15 AM
Chain kills are practically in Unity. If you use a 5 star weapon against 2-3 level enemies, a heavy attack perform instant kills.

Its not the same as the old chain kills that were awesome to watch.

Fatal-Feit
02-27-2015, 06:22 AM
I don't see the difference besides the animations, which are subjective. Well, actually there is a glaring difference. Unity's balanced, the previous ones mostly weren't.

DemonLord4lf
02-27-2015, 06:25 AM
I don't see the difference besides the animations, which are subjective. Well, actually there is a glaring difference. Unity's balanced, the previous ones mostly weren't.

Thats why i'm suggesting some new feature where you cant always use chain kills, unless you're in that mode or whatever. There's been tons of things that people said wouldn't work in an AC game that everyone now loves. The ship battles is one I can think of off the top of my head.

Fatal-Feit
02-27-2015, 06:28 AM
Except chain kills have already been in the previous games (about 7) and made all several of their combat easy.

DemonLord4lf
02-27-2015, 06:30 AM
Except chain kills have already been in the previous games (about 7) and made all several of their combat easy.

Which I'm trying to find a way to keep them in the game, but not as overplayed or overpowered as they were before.

Fatal-Feit
02-27-2015, 06:54 AM
Which I'm trying to find a way to keep them in the game, but not as overplayed or overpowered as they were before.

They've already tried everything.

*Archetypes that are immune to chain kills
*Archetypes that requires multiple chain kills to finish
*Archetypes that can counter chain kills
*Etc
*Etc

There have been several games and nothing have worked.

TexasCaesar
02-27-2015, 09:15 PM
Far Cry 4 had some interesting ways to instant-kill or chain-kill, but they all relied on proper positioning. I could see AC easily having the knife throw (stab a soldier from behind, fling a knife at his mate), close range chain-kills, and other such things. The key is just making sure that it's balanced. Now that we've got finishers for the flashy moves, I would just like to see some double-kills in the AC3 style.

Combat should be engaging in both mechanics and visuals.

SixKeys
02-27-2015, 09:46 PM
No one is saying it's stupid. Just it wouldn't fit.

I'm saying both. I don't think it's a good idea and I don't see the point in trying to come up with ideas that would make a bad idea tolerable.

Farlander1991
02-27-2015, 09:54 PM
AC1 and ACU have the right idea in terms of combat that it should be focused on 1v1 fights and switching between enemies when necessary (the fact that the recent combat system poll AC1 and ACU combined have almost twice as much votes as all the other games combined, and the fact that ACU is in a clear uncontested lead, is quite showing :p even though the vote pool is very small, the audience of it is kinda hardcore fans). Here's the thing: while there's lots of suspension of disbelief to be done in AC games (leap of faiths, ability to parkour non-stop forever, etc.), it's still based on realistic principles.

Swordfighting (or any other weapons fighting) is based on timing, finding opportunities and openings (and making them), and having proper defenses (i.e. not letting others find these opportunities). In a real swordfight 90% of the time is spent in defensive mode, so in a more theatrical game it should transform into switching between defensive and offensive to create an intense and seemingly realistic combat experience.

A kill streak system doesn't create such an experience as it pretty much focuses on offensive only. And any kind of enrage/combo systems also don't create such experience as they're quite frankly very arbitrary and gamey, which is not a bad thing in and of itself, but... look, AC3 and Batman combat system at their core are pretty much identical, but one of the reasons why Batman's works better is because it's set in a comic book world where rules are exaggerated somewhat, and takes advantage of combos, lots of gadgets, some really unique archetypes, etc. etc., but AC3 lacks all that because it still tries to remain true to its realistic principles.

The fact of the matter is, AC games should continue fleshing out the system set by ACU, otherwise either the fighting will be too easy and overpowered, or so many realistic principles would have to be sacrificed that it wouldn't feel like a historical game anymore, but something else.