PDA

View Full Version : Check out Discovery Channel Sunday 7c - 10c

XyZspineZyX
09-21-2003, 11:21 PM
Discovery Channel is going to have all sorts of historical weapons being tested in todays modern world. Should be interesting. Saw a preview of a Tiger and a Hurricane, I think. I just caught a blurb.

XyZspineZyX
09-21-2003, 11:21 PM
Discovery Channel is going to have all sorts of historical weapons being tested in todays modern world. Should be interesting. Saw a preview of a Tiger and a Hurricane, I think. I just caught a blurb.

XyZspineZyX
09-22-2003, 03:00 AM
Oops,sorry it was a me-109 and spitfire that were dueling.

XyZspineZyX
09-22-2003, 03:04 AM
Thanks for the heads up./i/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

47|FC
http://rangerring.com/wwii/p-47.jpg

XyZspineZyX
09-22-2003, 03:28 AM
Interesting? Yes. Accurate? Hardly.

Made it sound like the Spitfire won the Battle of Britian, virtually NO credit to the Hurricane. Should have been a match up of the 109 and the Hurri.

They had a simulated 109 vs Spitfire dogfight, which had to be the biggest gutless thing ever. It was a tie.

Just another show on Discovery channels that don't cut the historic mustard.

XyZspineZyX
09-22-2003, 04:57 AM
The Spits were the primary adversary for the 109 during the summer of 1940. Therefore the Discorery program sounds historically ok to me. The Hurrincane being no match for the 109 in a dogfight; Hurri pilots were ordered by Fighter Command to concentrate on the bomber formations when possible leaving the Spits to tangle with the Jerry fighters. Hurricane squads far outnumbered Spitfire squadrons during the BoB and strictly going after the bombers had a lot to do with superior number of victories racked up over the Spitfire squadrons.

XyZspineZyX
09-22-2003, 02:51 PM
Good series. But they were also squirelly on the conclusion of the Tiger v. Sherman tank match up.

They described how the Tiger would wup the Sherman in 4 out of 6 categories (Sherman won on speed and maneuverability), but gave the winning vote to the Sherman because they demonstrated how 4 Shermans could take out one Tiger (they lost 3 as the 4th worked in behind the Tiger) and there were similar overwhelming odds during the war.

But ALL of the former Sherman and Tiger tankers interviewed said, if given the choice, they ride in a Tiger. /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

Ya gotta wonder about those Discovery Channel producers.