PDA

View Full Version : Unity Pause Menu Music

Shahkulu101
02-26-2015, 09:07 PM
http://youtu.be/cRzyx8CqJuM

These are some good jams. Best in the game in my opinion - especially at 3:30. I think an escalated version of that melody should have been the main theme.

I guess they knew we'd be spending a lot of time in the menus and decided to add some funky elevator music.

Matknapers18
02-26-2015, 09:37 PM
The one at 3:30 drove me absolutely insane. Surprising to see that others actually liked that one.

I spent a lot of time in the menu, customising my character, reading the database, looking at the map. And hearing that repetitive melody over and over just drove me up the wall. Im no musician, but gosh, I hated that song.

Shahkulu101
02-26-2015, 09:47 PM
The one at 3:30 drove me absolutely insane. Surprising to see that others actually liked that one.

I spent a lot of time in the menu, customising my character, reading the database, looking at the map. And hearing that repetitive melody over and over just drove me up the wall. Im no musician, but gosh, I hated that song.

Yeah I honestly spent an ungodly amount of time customizing my character, so these tunes really stuck in my head. I just like the Piano from that particular tune lol.

I guess it's a bad sign that I found these tracks the most memorable, but it's probably just me. In general I think the soundtrack was quite lackluster, I mean it functions and serves it's purpose but it lacks any semblance of uniqueness.

ACfan443
02-26-2015, 09:50 PM
They were some of the best, I agree (though the one at 3:30 did grind on me after a while, not the track's fault per se, just that I spent a huge amount of time messing around in the customisation menus like Matknapers18 and would have preferred something a little more subdued and non-intrusive).

I guess it's a bad sign that I found these tracks the most memorable, but it's probably just me. In general I think the soundtrack was quite lackluster, I mean it functions and serves it's purpose but it lacks any semblance of uniqueness.

Ironically these tracks weren't even created by the composers, they were created by the audio team who took bits and pieces from the soundtrack and mixed and repurposed them into the menu themes and stingers.

Farlander1991
02-26-2015, 09:51 PM
You do know that the part at 3:30 is a very simplified version of the main theme, and a variation of it like that (though incorporating some of Ezio's theme in it) is also present in the theme itself? :p

Matknapers18
02-26-2015, 09:55 PM
Yeah I honestly spent an ungodly amount of time customizing my character, so these tunes really stuck in my head. I just like the Piano from that particular tune lol.

I couldn't agree more. I think that Unity had what was probably the poorest AC soundtrack yet. Its disappointing because, personally, Ive always felt that AC has shined with its music, AC2 and ACR being two of my favourite game ost's ever. Its these soundtracks that truly bring out the essence of the historical era. But, like you said, there was nothing unique or distinctive with Unity. And that fact that there was no ambient music only makes it more depressing.

This is probably my favourite track in the game. takes until 0:54 before it really kicks in.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZAEW_xeXS4&list=PLu6_FOgZp3ejfdaSOk6K5HBsA_w73rbjh

Shahkulu101
02-26-2015, 09:58 PM
You do know that the part at 3:30 is a very simplified version of the main theme, and a variation of it like that (though incorporating some of Ezio's theme in it) is also present in the theme itself? :p

I did notice the similar elements, but I was mainly talking about the Piano melody. I haven't noticed anything like that in the main theme but maybe I'm ignorant. :p

Ironically these tracks weren't even created by the composers, they were created by the audio team who took bits and pieces from the soundtrack and mixed and repurposed them into the menu themes and stingers.

Well kudos to the audio team for creating the best music in the game I guess. :rolleyes:

I couldn't agree more. I think that Unity had what was probably the poorest AC soundtrack yet. Its disappointing because, personally, Ive always felt that AC has shined with its music, AC2 and ACR being two of my favourite game ost's ever. Its these soundtracks that truly bring out the essence of the historical era. But, like you said, there was nothing unique or distinctive with Unity. And that fact that there was no ambient music only makes it more depressing.

This is probably my favourite track in the game. takes until 0:54 before it really kicks in.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZAEW_xeXS4&list=PLu6_FOgZp3ejfdaSOk6K5HBsA_w73rbjh

The standout track for me was the chase theme, which I thought was actually really good and catchy:

http://youtu.be/E66Q7Tp9CeI

It gets awesome at 20 seconds - probably the best chase theme I've heard in the series but the rest is lacking. I agree about AC always having great music, especially ambient music, and for Unity to have a bland soundtrack and no ambient music whatsoever was disappointing to say the least.

Xstantin
02-26-2015, 10:02 PM
Ballroom Fight is the only track I remember :nonchalance:
Helix menu tracks are nice but most could go into any menu heavy game imo (especially the one around 1:40ish)

Fatal-Feit
02-26-2015, 10:09 PM
I'm glad they included some good melody to it, especially since we'll spend a lot of time customizing.

Farlander1991
02-26-2015, 10:11 PM
I did notice the similar elements, but I was mainly talking about the Piano melody. I haven't noticed anything like that in the main theme but maybe I'm ignorant. :p

Oh. So you mean the one that's constantly in the background? That's a really slower version of the synthetic-sounding opening in the theme after Ezio Theme introduction ends ;)

Speaking of Unity soundtrack as a whole, I don't think it's the best AC soundtrack, but I do think it's underrated.

Mind you, when it comes to purely instrumental soundtrack music, I believe that most of the AC music is kinda bad for listening outside of the game if you don't know the context... I always have listened to AC music before playing the games, and always there would be tracks that I thought were 'wtf?!' that became my favourites after playing the game. The biggest example is Acre Underworld from AC1. I thought that sound was boring as hell. And then I played the game. And I loved it.

Anyway, same happened with Unity. I didn't have many favourite tracks before playing the game, but after, I can list quite a few (note that the list includes both what I liked before playing and what I liked after):
Unity
On Father's Watch
Chase by Chase Basis (I remember not liking this one before playing the game)
Breach Party
Versailles for Sore Eyes
A Leap of Faith (I know that this one I didn't like before playing the game)
Church and Destroy (mainly the part starting after 0:55)
Just Jabbin (loved it ever since the Sivert assassination demo was shown... a very classic suspenseful AC tune, love the background piano at 0:58)
Rather Death Than Slavery
Chandeliers and Carnage
Dark Slayer
Danton's Sacrifice (I know I liked this one before playing the game)
Ballroom Fight
The Committee of One (that one is for sure one of the songs that I liked before playing the game)

I think the list is similiar in size to my favourite AC2 tracks, though gotta check.

aL_____eX
02-26-2015, 10:13 PM
I'm glad they included some good melody to it, especially since we'll spend a lot of time customizing.
I don't because the fans on PS4 are still revving up using the menus. :(

Other than that, Unity's soundtrack is awesome imo. Maybe not on one Level with some of the former games, but still amazing and very relaxing to listen.

Fatal-Feit
02-26-2015, 10:16 PM
Speaking of Unity soundtrack as a whole, I don't think it's the best AC soundtrack, but I do think it's underrated.

Mind you, when it comes to purely instrumental soundtrack music, I believe that most of the AC music is kinda bad for listening outside of the game if you don't know the context... I always have listened to AC music before playing the games, and always there would be tracks that I thought were 'wtf?!' that became my favourites after playing the game. The biggest example is Acre Underworld from AC1. I thought that sound was boring as hell. And then I played the game. And I loved it.

Anyway, same happened with Unity. I didn't have many favourite tracks before playing the game, but after, I can list quite a few (note that the list includes both what I liked before playing and what I liked after):
Unity
On Father's Watch
Breach Party
Versailles for Sore Eyes
Just Jabbin (loved it ever since the Sivert assassination demo was shown... a very classic suspenseful AC tune)
Chandeliers and Carnage
Dark Slayer
Ballroom Fight
The Committee of One (that one is for sure one of the songs that I liked before playing the game)

I agree, it's pretty underrated. I love the soundtrack, its melodies are calm and packed with emotion. It's one of the few games' soundtrack that I'll put on replay while reading a book or hanging out at Barnes and Noble.

Both On Father's Watch and Rather Death Than Slavery are at the top of my favorite AC tracks.

I remember early leaked footage of young Arno being played on the PS4 with On Father's Watch playing in the background. Spent the whole next week with that music on replay. Rather Death Than Slavery is orgasmic in every way.

Unity is one of the top 3 main themes (next to Revelations and 3) that gets me pumped when I boot up the game.

SixKeys
02-26-2015, 10:17 PM
I like all of these. Not like I love jamming to them outside of the game, but none of them annoy me.

Matknapers18
02-26-2015, 10:19 PM
I remember early leaked footage of young Arno being played on the PS4 with On Father's Watch playing in the background. Spent the whole next week with that music on replay.

I thought I was the only one. The leaked footage of young Arno in Versailles with 'on Fathers watch' playing? It was on Vimeo right? I replayed the crap out of that.

Fatal-Feit
02-26-2015, 10:24 PM
I thought I was the only one. The leaked footage of young Arno in Versailles with 'on Fathers watch' playing? It was on Vimeo right? I replayed the crap out of that.

That's the one.

Shahkulu101
02-26-2015, 10:25 PM
Oh. So you mean the one that's constantly in the background? That's a really slower version of the synthetic-sounding opening in the theme after Ezio Theme introduction ends ;)

Unity
On Father's Watch
Breach Party
Versailles for Sore Eyes
Just Jabbin (loved it ever since the Sivert assassination demo was shown... a very classic suspenseful AC tune, love the background piano at 0:58)
Chandeliers and Carnage
Dark Slayer
Ballroom Fight

I think the list is similiar in size to my favourite AC2 tracks, though gotta check.

Yes I think that's what I'm referring to. And I'd agree people have judged it a little harshly, especially the ones describing it as 'poor' or 'terrible'. I hope my choice of the word lackluster isn't too disrespectful, by all means the soundtrack is good but I consider it as being lower quality than the others.

I can't say I've had a similar experience with the AC soundtracks, as I don't normally listen to them pre-release - but there are some tracks which are intrinsically linked to experiences or events in the game which makes them more powerful. I may not consider Cross Roads of The World an absolute master piece if I had never experienced roaming Constantinople with that in the background for instance.

I agree with a few tracks on your list, the chase theme is brilliant as I've said and I would agree that On Father's Watch, A Leap of Faith and Dark Slayer are good tracks to listen to.

Matknapers18
02-26-2015, 10:36 PM
Its technically not part of the soundtrack, but the songs that really did get stuck in my head were the revolutionary chants sung at the cafe's.

Not only did they make free-roaming a lot more immersive, but I also found myself singing along by the end of the game. There was nothing cooler than these echoing through the streets while running around. They really had the same effect as sea shanties for me.

This one was my personal favourite
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0w6w2QLd_TQ

Shahkulu101
02-26-2015, 10:45 PM
Its technically not part of the soundtrack, but the songs that really did get stuck in my head were the revolutionary chants sung at the cafe's.

Not only did they make free-roaming a lot more immersive, but I also found myself singing along by the end of the game. There was nothing cooler than these echoing through the streets while running around. They really had the same effect as sea shanties for me.

This one was my personal favourite
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0w6w2QLd_TQ

Agreed, I've been meaning to say something similar. Climbing Notre Dame and hearing La Marseille (French National Anthem) ringing out was a major goosebumps moment for me early in the game.

It was also nice to just stroll into a Cafe and be treated to some nice music.