PDA

View Full Version : 500-700 years of First Civilization history?

andrew_m50
02-26-2015, 05:07 PM
Yesterday, during the live stream on the twitch channel of Assassin's Creed, Darby McDevitt stated:

"In the past two years I have been working with all the other writers to really get a great document together about the First Civilization. So, as a little teaser, we've really created like five, six, seven hundred years of First Civ history that we hope to start teasing out, you know, for the next ten or twenty years or however long we're around. Because as I see it - and I don't know how many people agree with me - there's always two ways to go with the First Civ. You could always make them mysterious and never quite know what they were. But I think that at a certain point in the game we said "Ok we know enough about them that they are a thing, they are real, so why not go the other direction and actually treat them as real history?".

So me and a number of writers have been [creating this], just as a side project, to really make sure that all future projects have this cool timeline to go from. We've created this huge, massive First Civ history with all the big moments and a ton of small moments that you never even thought of, so that every future writer can go like "Where's that timeline?" and "Ok, I wanna reference Juno again, or Minerva. Where was she at this date and what was she doing? In what stage of her progress was she? How far along was the Human - First Civ war going? When were humans created? How long between when humans were created and the war?"

What do you think about this? Can we raise up our hopes of seeing new details about the First Civilization in the upcoming releases of the franchise?

If you didn't follow the stream, you can find it at the followig link: http://www.twitch.tv/assassinscreed/v/3834202

Source: Access the Animus Facebook

ze_topazio
02-26-2015, 05:15 PM
That's pretty interesting, Rino must be going crazy with happiness.

andrew_m50
02-26-2015, 05:17 PM
Me too.
For me, Assassin's Creed is about the First Civilization and their legacy.

JustPlainQuirky
02-26-2015, 05:23 PM
More chances of a game taking place in first civ.

I like it

aL_____eX
02-26-2015, 05:26 PM
I hope they don't keep them 'as real history' in a way of offering more to read about them in the next games. They should become a part of actual gameplay again. I hope for more interaction with TWCB in upcoming games.

Matknapers18
02-26-2015, 05:49 PM
Im pretty happy with this.

But on the other hand, its pointless having 700 years of First Civ history and lore if its just crammed into an in-game database. Link it with gameplay, make it relevant to our protagonists story.

Altair1789
02-26-2015, 05:58 PM
I always thought that their history technology-wise was a lot like ours except they got more done since there was no AVT war. This could mean that we'll actually be playing in the first civ soon :D

RADAR__4077
02-26-2015, 06:25 PM
teasing... for the next ten or twenty years

Oh... Yippie...

VestigialLlama4
02-26-2015, 07:00 PM
At some point in a Franchise, a Lorebook (a la Hyrule Historia) ends up creating itself. Darby McDevitt as a writer as an Alan Moore-like discipline towards canon and connections between games.

Personally, my feeling is what Mr. McDevitt states here:

Because as I see it - and I don't know how many people agree with me - there's always two ways to go with the First Civ. You could always make them mysterious and never quite know what they were.

This is what I feel. To me the First Civilization or Gods as I prefer calling them are more interesting for being elusive, creepy, other and dark. The more we know of them and their nature, the less creepy they get and once the First Civilization loses that, there's nothing left but some odd-coloured humanoid freaks with bad fashion sense. I always felt that the series should focus on history and use the First Civilization as something extra to make the history a video game narrative with McGuffins or Tomb levels or artifacts or whatnot, it works better as a subtle background suggestive thing.