PDA

View Full Version : Important, changing AMD crossfire profile may improve FPS/draw distance, with proviso

ecocrash
02-25-2015, 02:15 AM
I have a hd 6990 card, its old but very powerful, as I have noted on here, I was having major issues with ACU and other 20124 games like Sleeping Dogs Definitive.

In ACU, there was very low GPU usage around 55% on both cores and draw distance/LOD was very poor, with many buildings looking like cardboard

Taking advice from poster on the AMD support forums I changed the Crossfire profile to AFR in AMD Catalyst and immediately saw very impressive results., with frame pacing and afr on, I saw an increase in fps, from 21 to about 35, 30 fps if I went from high to ultra in textures, this is with high shadows, hbao, and fxaa, GPU usage shot up to 98% on both cores. draw distance improved greatly, not as many cardboard boxes. With SDD it FPS went up by 20fps!

However, the proviso is now I have the dreadful flickering on ACU that other posters using SLI but also crossfire had mentioned, only ACU though.

This suggests to me that for AMD they just haven't yet provided a suitable CF profile for ACU and indeed other games, especially for older cards, can they do this and can I get rid of the flickering, bit of a result though.

Kraschman2010
02-25-2015, 04:13 AM
Changed the Crossfire profile to AFR, can you explain this? Fewer acronyms would be helpful...

I have a hd 6990 card, its old but very powerful, as I have noted on here, I was having major issues with ACU and other 20124 games like Sleeping Dogs Definitive.

In ACU, there was very low GPU usage around 55% on both cores and draw distance/LOD was very poor, with many buildings looking like cardboard

Taking advice from poster on the AMD support forums I changed the Crossfire profile to AFR in AMD Catalyst and immediately saw very impressive results., with frame pacing and afr on, I saw an increase in fps, from 21 to about 35, 30 fps if I went from high to ultra in textures, this is with high shadows, hbao, and fxaa, GPU usage shot up to 98% on both cores. draw distance improved greatly, not as many cardboard boxes. With SDD it FPS went up by 20fps!

However, the proviso is now I have the dreadful flickering on ACU that other posters using SLI but also crossfire had mentioned, only ACU though.

This suggests to me that for AMD they just haven't yet provided a suitable CF profile for ACU and indeed other games, especially for older cards, can they do this and can I get rid of the flickering, bit of a result though.

strigoi1958
02-25-2015, 04:32 AM
I don't know much about AMD cards and maybe this isn't for all cards but I think you..... Go to 3D application settings, find ACU.exe and in the crossfirex section, set AMD CrossfireX mode to AFR friendly