PDA

View Full Version : Article: Five things I didn't know about making video games

Assassin_M
02-25-2015, 01:05 AM
One of the only decent articles i'v come across on Kotaku

http://kotaku.com/five-things-i-didn-t-get-about-making-video-games-unti-1687510871

Credit to Mr Darby for tweeting it.

This is really nothing new to someone working on/will work on/studying video games. Generally, people like us view ANY game with A HUGE amount of empathy because we understand how much work into it and for someone like the author of this article to come forward and admit to being a **** is quite gratifying and respectful. This line especially resonates here:

What were the devs thinking?!" Many were the times I yelled that phrase at my screen when playing a game I didn't like. Why is that level so crap? Why is that plot point so underdeveloped? Why is that ending so abrupt? Maybe, I thought, the developers are justdumb. How could they have not seen these problems coming?

As it turns out? They quite possibly did.

Just a point for some of the more "passionate" critics to stop and think about.

RADAR__4077
02-25-2015, 01:24 AM
I rarely blame developers for short comings in games. I realize time and/or budget is usually the biggest factor.

ze_topazio
02-25-2015, 01:27 AM
I understand developing games is hard, like any other work, but I'm a consumer, my main concern is my money, when I use my money to buy something full of problems or simply bad, knowing that the developers worked hard doesn't make me feel any better nor does it makes me feel that my money was well spent.

Fatal-Feit
02-25-2015, 01:37 AM
This is something I'm always aware of.

I may criticize a product, ridicule it even, but as a fellow artist I will never, NEVER, question the amount of effort/heart/soul put into it.

RADAR__4077
02-25-2015, 01:42 AM
I understand developing games is hard, like any other work, but I'm a consumer, my main concern is my money, when I use my money to buy something full of problems or simply bad, knowing that the developers worked hard doesn't make me feel any better nor does it makes me feel that my money was well spent.

Exactly. That's why the rich guys at the top need to stop expecting a game every year. Give your people time to finish their work!

I'm a firefighter/EMT by trade. If I was told "put out that fire. But we're trying to cut costs, so you have to use a garden hose" I'd laugh and say it was suicide.

Ubisoft is basically doing this with AC. Expecting a lot, but not giving their people what they need.

SixKeys
02-25-2015, 01:50 AM
This is something I'm always aware of.

I may criticize a product, ridicule it even, but as a fellow artist I will never, NEVER, question the amount of effort/heart/soul put into it.

Really?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7f3HDsgLV68

Fatal-Feit
02-25-2015, 01:58 AM
Really?

Seen worse. =p

I'd also like to add that I'm down with mocking someone's work if the person who produced it are honest with their effort as well. Like with the story of Evangelion or Goat Simulator.

Assassin_M
02-25-2015, 02:08 AM
I'm not saying anything about criticism or disliking a product. I dislike a lot of games and so do many others associated with the industry, what i'm referring to is empathy. Harsh and ignorant statements found on YT and the like. That's what the article talks about and this is what i'm referring to.

By all means, criticize. it's important. But you don't have to be a **** about it.

SixKeys
02-25-2015, 02:10 AM
No-one takes YouTube seriously tho.

Assassin_M
02-25-2015, 02:16 AM
No-one takes YouTube seriously tho.

Man, I was such a ****. I took such glee such heinous glee in talking about how ****ty my least favorite games were and how stupid their development teams were. (Again, I literally called the Assassin's Creed development team "a bunch of idiots." Which, don't get me wrong, I still really dislike Assassin's Creed, but "idiots"? Seriously?). And in the back of my mind, I thought, "feh it's no big deal. Those guys are so busy, there's no way they read anything I've written on their game."

pirate1802
02-25-2015, 07:22 AM
Exactly. That's why the rich guys at the top need to stop expecting a game every year. Give your people time to finish their work!

The only way this could ever be permanently mitigated is if a system could be developed where the devs are the ones sitting on top. Yes yes I know money is important and I'll probably not have the cool facial animations and expensive VAs in my games without a big corporate backing me, but atleast I'll have peace of mind and I can give it my everything without a suit meddling. I think CDPR is a glowing example that it can be achieved.

Also, **** capitalism.

LoyalACFan
02-25-2015, 09:23 AM
Cool thread, M. Been studying/making games for a bit now, and I totally feel ya. That's not to say the devs are totally faultless in every bad feature though; sometimes it just boils down to bad design. But more often than not, there's more to it.