PDA

View Full Version : OK, I Feel Like an Idiot!!!

desertkruzr
02-24-2015, 04:13 PM
Hello all,

I haven't played any video games for several years, and the last games that I played were on a PC. Someone gave me a PS4 for Christmas, with several games, one of them being Assassin's Creed Unity.

Back when I played PC games, they always game with a big fat manual that explained how to move and do things in the game, how to navigate through the games menus, etc.

I was shocked when I opened Assassin's Creed Unity, and found no such manual! Then, after I loaded the DVD, and downloaded the update for the game, I found myself in a menu that seemed to offer several icons that depicted various adventures to choose from to start. I chose the first one on the upper left, and the game began.

After fumbling around in that first adventure for a while, not really knowing how to move Arno that well, I attempted to back out, and find what I thought would be a training realm where I could practice Arno's moving abilities, fighting abilities, etc., but I had no luck. I found some on screen tutorials that explained all of the moves, etc., but I found that there was really too much to try and memorize without a hard copy to reference when I was back into the gameplay.

I tried quitting the game, and restarting it several times, but whenever I did, I just found myself back in the first adventure that I had chosen, with no real way to back out, and find the training realm, or even to choose another different adventure, for that matter.

Then, a REALLY strange thing happened. After quitting the game, and not trying it again for several days, the next time I started it, I found that I was now a little kid, who was prompted to follow a girl, and then try and steal an apple! And now, whenever I start the game, I find that I am stuck in that adventure, once again with seemingly no way to back out, and find the training realm, or even choose a different adventure.

I realize that these questions must sound ridiculous to anyone that as kept up with the gaming world, but any and all help here would be VERY MUCH APPRECIATED!!! I'm sure that Assassin's Creed Unity is a great game, if I could only just learn how to play it!!!

Many thanks in advance to anyone who can help me with this!

Fatal-Feit
02-24-2015, 04:20 PM
Google search > case manual

Use it wisely, my friend.

aL_____eX
02-24-2015, 04:21 PM
If I remember correctly, there are manuals for all PS4 games on playstation.com. So just check there.

PS: For some games they are accessible via one of the tabs in the XMB menu.

ze_topazio
02-24-2015, 04:26 PM
It always pains my heart when I buy a new game this days and the booklet is just two pages of mandatory security advices.

marvelfannumber
02-24-2015, 04:30 PM
It always pains my heart when I buy a new game this days and the booklet is just two pages of mandatory security advices.

I honestly am glad they are gone now personally. They were sweet back in the NES through N64 days (when they included awesome COLOURED artwork and a sweet backstory) but from the PS2 on they were just kind of boring and basically just gave you the information you would already find out in the game.

I can't really say I ever read one of them since 2001.

MenocidiX
02-24-2015, 04:45 PM
Games aren't simple games anymore. They became a complex and either incomplete or very expensive (if you want complete games) entertainment product. No more booklets, no more intense ingame tutorials for big franchises like AC.

I can imagine your overextension when you started the game. Cryptic symbols and message popups all over the screen. What about additional Uplay and Initiates accounts? Share stuff? Facebook, Twitter, Youtube! Want to broadcast? Ustream, Twitch! Got the companion app? Is everything linked? DLC? Club Competitions? Want Helix Credits? There you go.

You need someone who explains everything, maybe a friend. It's nearly impossible to find the help you need on a forum.

Fatal-Feit
02-24-2015, 04:56 PM

Manuals were only fun when they had colors, which didn't happen very often unless you lived in Japan.

HiddenKiller612
02-24-2015, 05:34 PM
The best way to learn to play is to jump in and get your feet wet. Fool around with controls, figure out what does what, and always pay attention to what the game tells you when a pop up occurs...

Jackdaw951
02-24-2015, 07:25 PM
I've been trolled enough times here already to wonder if the OP is for real.

bitebug2003
02-24-2015, 08:09 PM
I miss the smell of a freshly printed documentation that comes with games

Xstantin
02-24-2015, 08:14 PM
what is this magical training realm he/she speaks of anyway?

SixKeys
02-24-2015, 11:31 PM
I haven't read manuals since my SNES days.

ze_topazio
02-24-2015, 11:44 PM
I honestly am glad they are gone now personally. They were sweet back in the NES through N64 days (when they included awesome COLOURED artwork and a sweet backstory) but from the PS2 on they were just kind of boring and basically just gave you the information you would already find out in the game.

I can't really say I ever read one of them since 2001.

Many PS2, PSP, DS, early PS3 and 3DS games had cool manuals.

Manuals were only fun when they had colors, which didn't happen very often unless you lived in Japan.

I have a couple colored ones from some Mega Drive games, but even the black and white ones were better than what we have this days.

cawatrooper9
02-25-2015, 08:33 AM
AC games, for better or for worse, are notorious for their hand holding. In your case, this is actually to your advantage. Let the game teach you how to play the game.

marvelfannumber
02-25-2015, 11:24 AM
Many PS2, PSP, DS, early PS3 and 3DS games had cool manuals.

Oh I am sure there were plenty of awesome manuals then too, but that was the point where it all began going downhill for me (plus I don't have every PS2/PS3 game ever so I am sure I have missed out on some).

Anyways my favorite manual will always be the NES Zelda manual, that had some bad*** artwork which got you pumped to explore the world:

http://static.giantbomb.com/uploads/original/3/31020/922724-z1manual_07_08.jpg

ze_topazio
02-25-2015, 03:49 PM
MGS2, MGS4 and MGS Peace Walker manuals are written like comic books.

bitebug2003
02-25-2015, 10:09 PM
Oh I am sure there were plenty of awesome manuals then too, but that was the point where it all began going downhill for me (plus I don't have every PS2/PS3 game ever so I am sure I have missed out on some).

Anyways my favorite manual will always be the NES Zelda manual, that had some bad*** artwork which got you pumped to explore the world:

The Nintendo Power Strategy Guide for A Link to the Past read like a book interspersed with awesome artwork - gone are those days :(

DemonLord4lf
02-25-2015, 10:12 PM
The Nintendo Power Strategy Guide for A Link to the Past read like a book interspersed with awesome artwork - gone are those days :(

Its one of the reasons why old games are more collectible with the manual then without.

SixKeys
02-25-2015, 10:45 PM

The ur-bullshot.

AtomicQuotient
02-26-2015, 02:09 AM
If I remember correctly, this is one of the first missions, just go thru with it and it should put back to the main game where you can continue. You have to steal the Apple. The Apple piece is tricky if you never played AC like me, you can watch youtube to get around it, or you just have to run away and hide behind the hedges to escape the guards, from there on should be straight forward.

It's a first class game in my opinion and lots of fun.

DynaRider
02-26-2015, 02:36 AM
If you''re near a Game Stop or video game store spend a few bucks and buy a user's guide book. It should tell you what you need to know.